Profile for Nicola Mansfield > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2041

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nicola Mansfield RSS Feed (Ontario, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Crossfades: A Dystopian Novella
Crossfades: A Dystopian Novella
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars but I couldn't read it all at once because it freaked me out so bad I had to take a breather, August 3, 2015
This is the second book I've read by the author and I can only think of one phrase to describe it; "OMG!" I read a lot of books about serial killers, thrillers, true crime, books about death and the dead, and the occasional horror and I really couldn't name the last book that scared me. "Crossfades" scared the living daylights out of me!! It totally creeped me out!! This novella had me hooked, but I couldn't read it all at once because it freaked me out so bad I had to take a breather. Excellent! Excellent! I loved "Apocalyptic Organ Grinder" too.

Mad Mod is in Vogue! (Teen Titans GO!)
Mad Mod is in Vogue! (Teen Titans GO!)
by Adam Beechen
Price: $17.77
31 used & new from $9.66

4.0 out of 5 stars This comic is a lot of fun with the Teen Titans meeting up with an old ..., August 3, 2015
This comic is a lot of fun with the Teen Titans meeting up with an old nemesis of theirs, Mad Mod. I haven't been big on the Titans so this is my first meeting with the villain who is a retro British dude whose power is hypnotism. Beast Boy and Starfire get hypnotized along with the rest of the city and it's up to the remaining team members to rescue everybody. Pure comic book action perfect for young ages.

Thunder and Lightning Strike! (Teen Titans GO!)
Thunder and Lightning Strike! (Teen Titans GO!)
by Todd Nauck
Price: $19.63
16 used & new from $9.50

3.0 out of 5 stars I like the Teen Titan comics for kids, August 3, 2015
I like the Teen Titan comics for kids. They are funny and goofy rather than the angsty teens in the regular series. This one was funny and had a few laughs but was a bit preachy. Brothers Thunder and Lightning come to town fighting and destroying stuff and next thing you know while trying to stop them the Teen Titans end up getting into the fight too. Lesson learned is to use your words instead of weapons.

Civil War Adventure (Dover Graphic Novels)
Civil War Adventure (Dover Graphic Novels)
by Chuck Dixon
Price: $9.64
38 used & new from $5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy reading about the Civil War, August 3, 2015
A reprint of a book with a limited run originally published in 2009. This graphic novel is a series of short stories that combine to tell the story of the Civil War mostly through the viewpoint of a father and son serving under Stonewall Jackson. It's an incredibly readable history volume with real facts except for the fictional father & son. Different presentations are used throughout from single pages of text to maps to frames of comics with only narrative to full comic style with speech bubbles. Interspersed between the story of the adventures of Ty and his father as they join the Confederate Army and go off to war are shorter stories of famous people (ie Custer), other events (ie an ironclad) and letters home from various soldiers in the field. This is a harsh look at war, death, disease, depression, desertion. While there are a few episodes from the "Federalist" side, the book decidedly shows the war from the "successionist" point of view and makes a point of making slavery *not* the point of the war for the average volunteer farmer or mountain boy who signed up. Also of interest are one-page history lessons on such topics as certain guns in use, the birth of the sniper, certain famous people, battles, and campaigns. I enjoy reading about the Civil War, especially of the South, and fully enjoyed this. It's not in-depth but gives a good overview for a student or is simply entertaining and informative for any age.

Catwoman's Nine Lives (Batman: Comic Chapter Books)
Catwoman's Nine Lives (Batman: Comic Chapter Books)
by Matthew K Manning
Edition: Library Binding
Price: $18.62
32 used & new from $10.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Capstone's long running "DC Super Heroes" series was relabeled and given a fresh look ..., August 3, 2015
Capstone's long running "DC Super Heroes" series was relabeled and given a fresh look for 2014, but most importantly content and quality is just as good as always. This is a very well-written Dark Knight story suitable for all ages which has no silliness about it but doesn't get too gloomy and broody, just the right amount of darkness to satisfy this fan and be a great children's book at the same time. This is more of a Catwoman feature than Batman as the duo team up, reluctantly on Selina's part, to stop a bloody showdown between Penguin and The Ventriloquist. The story was fun and exciting, capturing the character's identities and my only complaint would be that the art was overly dark making it somewhat hard to see clearly as things blended together in all the blacks.

March Grand Prix: The Fast and the Furriest
March Grand Prix: The Fast and the Furriest
by Kean Soo
Price: $11.54
6 used & new from $10.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Like those, this is adorably illustrated but unlike Jellaby, August 1, 2015
Kean Soo finally comes out with a new graphic novel since the Jellaby books. Like those, this is adorably illustrated but unlike Jellaby, Grand Prix is mostly suited to the younger audience; Jellaby was also for children, but it had a second level that appealed to the adult audience. March Grand Prix is all for the kids. A lovable set of rabbit siblings, each has a special talent hobby though the family shares an interest in car racing with March Hare being a professional driver. The first story is how he wins his first race. These are good entertaining stories, three in all, which are independent of each other though they do briefly mention events from prior stories. While I do think the stories are fun and entertaining each one does unmistakably have a lesson to teach without trying to hide that they are. Soo is a great cartoon-style artist and I'm thrilled to see this Canadian bringing out another series as it's been a long wait since Jellaby.

I Know Sasquatch (Fiction Picture Books)
I Know Sasquatch (Fiction Picture Books)
by Jess Bradley
Price: $11.96
10 used & new from $9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars This is wonderful! An easy reader picture book with the cutest ..., August 1, 2015
This is wonderful! An easy reader picture book with the cutest pictures ever and a sense of humour that reminds me a bit of Mo Willems Pigeon series. It is adorable how the author has drawn her cartoon illustrations on photographic backgrounds which are printed on elementary lined notebook paper, realizing the little girl narrator's presentation of writing a story book for us, the reader. She has heard of a scary "Bigfoot" monster but when out in the woods one day actually meets him and learns all about him. She tells us of his likes and dislikes, his real name is Sasquatch (he has his ID to prove it) and introduces her to his whole family even 2nd cousin Murray who most of the newspaper reports are actually about not him. Sasquatch is an adorable, average height, blue furry creature friends with Ogopogo, Mothman and Jackalope. I know both my sons would have loved this when they were little and I'd love to share it with a little person now because I adore it as a grown-up person myself. The author has illustrated other works, but I'd love to see more from her as author/illustrator. Delightful pure fun book!

Investigation Discovery Special Issue - Unsolved
Investigation Discovery Special Issue - Unsolved
by Media Lab Publishing
Edition: Single Issue Magazine
3 used & new from $23.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great magazine on the newsstands right now (July-Sept 2015) dealing ..., July 31, 2015
Great magazine on the newsstands right now (July-Sept 2015) dealing with what Investigation Discovery does best. Nothing deep here. Just a two-page spread on each case. Mostly murders, some serial with a few bank robberies and jewel heists thrown in for good measure. Pretty much all take place in the US but the heists range from Japan to the Bahamas. I read this topic a lot and was pleasantly surprised at the number of lesser-known cases that were included in here and even some I hadn't heard of. There is also a strength in curious missing persons cases which are still current and this is a good vehicle for putting their pictures back out there with contact numbers. Some of these cases are quite bizarre and yes, all the ones you'd expect to find are in here too, but overall a very good cross mix selection for all readers whether your well-read on the topic or not. It's nice to have a big glossy like this for a change rather than scrolling through the images on Pinterest. LOL

Treachery in Bordeaux (Winemaker Detective)
Treachery in Bordeaux (Winemaker Detective)
by NoŽl Balen
Price: $9.26
44 used & new from $6.28

4.0 out of 5 stars but watching Benjamin and Virgil putting their heads together over a puzzle for the first time was extremely fun. I tucked into, July 31, 2015
I've read every book in this series save the first, so with the 7th book coming out next week thought I'd take care of this unfinished business. I truly adored meeting all the characters in this introductory novel. Benjamin and Virgil actually meet each other too just as Virgil is hired for the job! They've both come a long way as characters since this one. The mystery was all wine business related and not that excited, I mean there isn't even a murder! but watching Benjamin and Virgil putting their heads together over a puzzle for the first time was extremely fun. I tucked into this book and didn't come up for air until everything was solved and I raised my glass of Pinot Noir in celebration. {cheers}

Andreo's Race
Andreo's Race
by Pam Withers
Price: $11.69
51 used & new from $0.70

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed Withers book "Descent" but this one is even better, July 28, 2015
This review is from: Andreo's Race (Paperback)
A fast-paced action-packed read that had me turning the pages as fast as I could. I enjoyed Withers book "Descent" but this one is even better. Full of adventure, serious topics such as adoption and baby trafficking are mixed with extreme sports in an adventure race across Bolivia including canoeing, mountain biking, and caving. A former whitewater rafter and outdoor enthusiast, along with being the mother of boys, it's quite apparent the author writes what she knows best and that comes through in her writing which is full of detail and obvious research. The book begins with the two 16yo main characters biking in the Rockies at night and the action, tension and drama never stops for a moment until the exciting climax. Mixed in there is also the story of a family who learns a lesson in how to be closer as a family by showing love and trust with each other plus we see the dark side of baby trafficking from all sides. A riveting read and one of those books that could grab the attention of a reluctant reader who is into extreme sports.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20