Profile for Nicola Mansfield > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1688

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nicola Mansfield RSS Feed (Ontario, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kings Watch Volume 1
Kings Watch Volume 1
by Marc Laming
Price: $15.47
22 used & new from $13.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Flash Gordon teams up, August 29, 2014
This review is from: Kings Watch Volume 1 (Paperback)
Another great title from Dynamite! This is a vehicle for Flash Gordon and an origins novel for him and The Phantom. Phantom has a history with Mandrake but they meet up with Flash and Zarkov who are just getting started out on their space exploration but their first foray has mixed up the plans of The Cobra who just happens to be working for Ming. Along with Dale and Lothar this group travels to Africa to foil Ming's merciless plot to take over the Earth. This is my first time reading Flash Gordon, though I'm a big fran from the serials of the '30s and the cult '80s movie. Even though Gordon is most definitely the centre of attention here his world is entwined with The Phantom's and thus it satisfies my "masked hero" love at the same time. This was my first intro to Phantom's world and I loved it. He and Mandrake have a supernatural element about them using real magic giving Africa an even more exotic feel to it, just like the original comics these guys are based on. A fun romp with monsters and mayhem, crossing Africa's jungle dangers with space travel and evil alien empire lords. The art was fantastic and the story was pure pulp. Loved it!

Vinland Saga 4
Vinland Saga 4
by Makoto Yukimura
Price: $15.13
44 used & new from $11.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-Notch, August 28, 2014
This review is from: Vinland Saga 4 (Hardcover)
Outstanding! I continue to say the same things volume after volume with this series. It is one of my highlights when a new volume is released. The art is just of such a high calibre that it is almost incomparable in manga circles: detailed, intricate, realistic, gorgeous. This is a pivotal book in the series with some plot conclusions and some turning points. I won't go into any details here as this is a major point in the story's plot but I will say there are some surprising deaths! The plot so far has been focused solely on two things, the Danish invasion of England and Thorfinn's revenge for his father's death. This was a fast-paced and exciting read. The ending leaves me entirely intrigued upon what direction the plot will now concentrate from this point on. A top-notch manga series for the serious reader.

A Country of Our Own: The Confederation Diary of Rosie Dunn (Dear Canada)
A Country of Our Own: The Confederation Diary of Rosie Dunn (Dear Canada)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dominion of Canada, August 28, 2014
I always look at the author first for these as some are long-time favourites and I know I'm in for a treat for those. This author, Karleen Bradford, I'd heard of and knew I had read a book by her but it wasn't until now that I've checked to see it was a book from a very long time ago about time travel back to the War of 1812 "The Other Elizabeth". I do have a fond remembrance of it. This was an entirely enjoyable book, written in journal format as usual for the Dear Canada series. Most children's books I read about Confederation take place in PEI but this one is a little unusual in that it takes place mostly in the time leading up to Confederation and takes place in Ottawa. It concerns a young girl who has been hired into service for a family in politics in "Eastern Canada" (renamed Quebec when it joined Confederation)who must move to Ottawa now that the Queen has named it captial city of the newly formed province of Canada (East & West combined). Ottawa is a ramshackle little town with small wooden houses, and mud streets that pigs and cows wander freely. The story mostly concentrates on day-to-day life as seen through the eyes of an Irish-Catholic servant girl but also her impressions of the daily life of her well-to-do employers. The political background concerns the thoughts pro and con for uniting the provinces into Confederation and the process that was involved during that full year leading up to Confederation. The book ends just after the celebration of the first Dominion Day July 1, 1867. Two historical figures are mentioned quite frequently Sir John A. MacDonald and Thomas D'arcy McGee. The main character, Rosie Dunn, is entirely likeable and makes for an interesting voice. The story is full of small crises making for an enjoyable plot, as well as an interesting historical piece. I really liked Bradford's writing and would easily read another book of hers.

Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo Toilet 2000
Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo Toilet 2000
by Dav Pilkey
Price: $8.97
40 used & new from $5.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Yesterday George & Yesterday Harold, August 28, 2014
It's been a year long wait to find out what would happen to our friends George and Harold and Book #11 doesn't disappoint. There is a slight mixing up of the usual format which I missed but it is all there just slightly out of order. Thankfully, a comic book starts off with a brief four pages that summarizes books 1-9, then the first chapter spends a couple of pages reminding us where we are after book ten. Book 11 is just as fantastically hyperspeed as the last one, time-travel back and forth, speeding here, speeding there and then the ultimate problem arises when the time traveling results in double sets of our heroes. Yesterday George and Yesterday Harold are living in the same time as the present ones and by book's end all four Harold and George's are in big trouble with the only consolation the announcement of book 12. The book is just as funny and silly as usual and fans will be delighted. Even if you've grown out of the series, you may just want to give this a read to keep up to date with these old friends. Tra-la-la!

The Hollow Tree
The Hollow Tree
by Janet Lunn
40 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Loyalists during the Revolution, August 24, 2014
This review is from: The Hollow Tree (Paperback)
This is the third book in a trilogy that I believe only has the connection that they take place in the same geographic area at some point. I read this book before a very long time ago but did not remember it as I re-read it this time. It's a bit slow to get into and not exactly a page-turner story. The plot is quiet and meandrous even though an adventure and mission is taking place. We are privy as much as to what is taking place inside Phoebe's thoughts as to what is happening to her physically. It is still a refreshing approach to the American War of Independence. The characters in the book are Loyalists who have to flee from their homes to Canada after being made to leave by the rebels, some violently others just forcibly. However, the main character, Phoebe, is neutral. Her freedom loving professor of a father leaves to fight for the rebels and gets killed the first year. At 13 she moves across the creek to her Aunt and Uncle's house. The Uncle is a pacifist, but his eldest son is Loyalist and goes off to fight for the King. Needless to say he suffers a gruesome end. Phoebe, now 15, goes across the country on her own, followed by a stray cat and bear cub, to complete her cousin's mission because she is loyal, loyal to family, not any side in any war. The book heavily portrays the terrible ways that neighbour turned against neighbour and the Loyalists were, any combination of, kicked out of their homes, property and chattel stolen, beaten, tarred and feathered, women and children with husbands gone off fighting were kicked out in the middle of the night with virtually nothing but their horse and cart and a bag of flour. Young men accused of being Loyalist were hanged and after the war these refugees hiding out in Canada were not allowed back into the new Independent America. The book also heavily focuses on that even while there was a war going on and many angry people had taken sides, just like in all wars anywhere, there were just so many people who really had no side, couldn't care less who won, just wanted their homes back, their towns to be safe, to be neighbourly again and their loved ones back home alive and hopefully in one piece. Even though I found the pacing slow, it is an enjoyable story with an exciting journey of survival across country and populated mostly with female characters.

The Flash Vol. 4: Reverse (The New 52)
The Flash Vol. 4: Reverse (The New 52)
by Francis Manapul
Price: $19.07
54 used & new from $12.41

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Volume So Far, August 24, 2014
I'm glad I've stayed with this title, as this volume really steps up the character and story a notch. With Gorilla Grudd out of the picture this is a much more serious storyline and I really liked the focus on the Speed Force. While everything plotwise is wrapped up in this volume in preparation for the writing team to take over, we have Reverse-Flash and Dr.Elias in the wings for possible returns. I'm not big on Teen Titans but I enjoyed Kid Flash's cameo and the information on his background. Barry Allen is probably my favourite hero out of costume and his personal life story is as much a part of the plot as Flash's, though I'm glad to see Patty getting jealous and hoping he and Iris get together soon. Finally, the volume ends with a pre-Flash Barry and Iris story set in the Batman Zero world which featured Harvey Bullock. Best volume for The Flash so far and I can't wait to see where the story goes with the new writers.

Official Bravest Warriors Catbug Keychain Toy Figure
Official Bravest Warriors Catbug Keychain Toy Figure
Offered by ONLYWHOLESALE
Price: $6.99
5 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Catbug, August 23, 2014
This is a cute little guy who arrive in my August Nerd Block. I'm not a fan of Bravest Warriors but love Catbug because of his ladybug hybrid! He's well made of heavy PVC and I can't see him wearing out easily. A person can only have so many key chains, but I love to collect these little trinkets to hang from my art journals/junk journals/smashbooks (if anyone even knows what I'm talking about) LOL

Funko Pop! Harley Quinn Glow In The Dark Vinyl Figure
Funko Pop! Harley Quinn Glow In The Dark Vinyl Figure
Offered by Vanilla Underground USA
Price: $29.86

4.0 out of 5 stars I Love Harley, August 23, 2014
I love my Harley Quinn Glow in the Dark PX 34! She came in my August Nerd Block and I screamed like a little girl! Love, love, love her. She glows nice, stands up good and looks great on my shelf! The only thing not giving her a five is that the edging of her painting is just a little bit jagged, not overly, but still. You can see what I mean when you do a zoom in on where her hatline is on her face.

Aukey Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank Pack 10000mAh for iPad Air, 4, 3, 2, iPad Mini, iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S; Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, 2; LG G3, G2; HTC M8; Nexus 7, 5, 4; Motorola Moto X, Moto G; Google Glass and other USB Charging Devices (1.5A Input for fast charging, 1A & 2.1A Dual Output) - Black
Offered by ATEK
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Leave Home Without It, August 23, 2014
I was asked to try this product free for an honest review. I love this little guy soo much! First off, I was impressed with the colourful durable case it came packaged in. This can be used to carry it around in though it does add unnecessary bulk to the palm-sized portable charger. I'm using my case for earrings! LOL Anyway, a great, handy dandy charger. Take it on the go and you'll never run out of power on your device for long. It even charged my Kindle Fire very fast. I'm not all techy so can't tell you stats or anything but the KF needs a booster charger or it takes like 8hrs to charge. This here Aukey had it fully charged in a few hours, works on my basic smartphone, Kindle Touch, Samsung Galaxy, hubby's Blackberry. It's made of a cool scratch resistant material and I just carry this little dude in my purse and power up any device when it needs a boost. There is a light on the charger that lets you know where its battery charge has got to so you can make sure it is always charged as well.

The Flash Vol. 2: Rogues Revolution (The New 52)
The Flash Vol. 2: Rogues Revolution (The New 52)
by Francis Manapul
Price: $12.90
60 used & new from $6.26

3.0 out of 5 stars Meets The Rogues Gallery, August 22, 2014
I liked this better than vol. 1 but it's still missing something in the plot department. Now I'm only just getting to know Flash, previously I'd only read him in Justice League and pre-52 I'd read the odd comic with him against Gorilla Grodd or Mirror Master. So this book starts by getting Flash away from Gorilla and back to earth. Then the rest of the book has the Rogues Gallery working against Captain Cold and the Flash interfering with their troublemaking. I really enjoyed this part as I'm a big fan of team-ups whether they be hero or villains. I'd never heard of any of these guys before, except Mirror Master and we got a really good introduction to them all here, though some more than others of course. Then near the end the Gorilla's land on earth looking for Flash. The volume ends with an origins issue which mostly explains Flash's background and relationship with his father. Did his father kill his mother, or not? Liking this, but still hoping for more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20