Profile for Nicola Mansfield > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1714

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nicola Mansfield RSS Feed (Ontario, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Zatch Bell!, Vol. 17 (v. 17)
Zatch Bell!, Vol. 17 (v. 17)
22 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars End of Major Arc, September 30, 2014
Major battle mode volume that ends a major story arc! The big battle with Demolt to free the human souls continues to its exciting conclusion. Then we switch to Sherry and Brago who had taken off by themselves to fight the evil leader Zofis and find her long lost friend. This is a great battle, Brago is a bad-*ss, but it also brings in the emotion with some flashbacks to Sherry's childhood with her friend. This takes up the rest of the volume and we're now left with the major story arc we've been following for almost the entire series. There have been some loses and now the remaining mamodos all return to their homes for well deserved rest knowing they will meet again soon to battle each other for the crown of the Mamodo homeworld.

Creepshow
Creepshow
by Stephen King
35 used & new from $30.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs to Be IN PRINT, September 30, 2014
This review is from: Creepshow (Paperback)
This is my 2014 opinion of my first re-read of this since the original. I bought this when it first came out and am sure I read it multiple times then but haven't read it since. I have seen the movie though about 3 or 4 times. This is horror "cheese" and an homage to the old EC comic books such as "Tales of the Crypt". There are 5 short stories here and they are all enjoyable for the artform they represent. A great book that was written to coincide with the movie and a wonderful, unique addition to King's work at this stage of his career. I'd give the book 5 stars if it was in print.

Lazarus Volume 2 TP
Lazarus Volume 2 TP
by Greg Rucka
Price: $9.52
55 used & new from $6.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever Carlyle, September 30, 2014
This review is from: Lazarus Volume 2 TP (Paperback)
Awesome, awesome, awesome. Probably the best comic of the year! I'll keep this short or else I'll just end up gushing. This is a dystopian tale that is totally believable making it all that much more exciting. Reads like a spy story with a gripping plot and unexpected ending. The art is fantastic too. I'm addicted to Lazarus! Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

The Hockey Saint
The Hockey Saint
by Howard Shapiro
Edition: Perfect Paperback
Price: $10.82
9 used & new from $6.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Do We Gain From Hero Worshipping?, September 26, 2014
A well-written "issues" story for teens. The book has a hockey theme but except for the beginning is not really about hockey as such. As the book starts we are dropped into first-year college student Tom's career on the university hockey team but the story quickly turns to being about the characters rather than the sport. Tom meets his hockey idol and becomes involved in his life finding out that the man is not like what he is represented in the press at all. The book deals with many issues, and if it has any faults it would be that it tackles too many at once. Smoking, drinking, drunk driving, parental death, alcoholism, not losing touch with one's real friends on the way up and money/career are not the meaning of life. However when all is said and done the book's main theme is not idol-worshipping other people. It's a dramatic story that had me reading straight through. The art is a bit inconsistent, Tom's look becomes feminine at times, some facial expressions are downright ugly and while there aren't many female characters the young ones tended to have manga-looking eyes. Recommended for teens, especially boys, interested in hockey.

Superman/Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Power Couple (The New 52)
Superman/Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Power Couple (The New 52)
by Charles Soule
Price: $18.62
53 used & new from $14.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Wait!, September 26, 2014
I came into this not quite sure how I'd find. I'm not into Superman or anything Metropolis but I am a Wonder Woman and anything Justice League related fan so I had some good expectations. This presented a top-notch story that was equally owned by Wonder Woman and Superman. It felt like both got their fair share of time and each's world was explored. Diana spends time with her sister, takes Clark to meet some of her God relatives and takes a visit home to the Island. Clark is found at work and surrounded by his Kent-identity friends, a good portion of the story takes place in Metropolis and the overall plot of the book centres on returning villains from Superman's past. I like the dynamics between Diana and Superman and am loving them as a couple, Steve Trevor shows up in a scene with the JL of A which reminds us that his relational aftermath problems with WW were based on his immature behaviour, something not likely to happen if Supe and the Amazon ever call it quits. The plot itself was great; we have two of the strongest superheroes alive and they're confronted with their matches in villains with Doomsday and General Zod along with the plans to open up the gates of the "Phantom Zone", Krypton's prison dimension. Great stuff!

The Eighth Circle of Hell
The Eighth Circle of Hell
by Gary Dolman
Price: $17.06
28 used & new from $5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing Victorian, September 22, 2014
Written with an authentic Victorian voice this little mystery can be quite difficult to read at times due to its subject matter. Dealing not only with pedophilia but the trade of and solicitation of children for sex this is a very delicate and heartbreaking mystery to read. Describing events which really occurred in Victorian times (as, sadly, they still do today) the mystery sends Atticus and Lucy Fox off on their first case as private investigators by a nephew to bring home an old maiden aunt who has been tucked away in a poor house for decades. The night of her arrival she violently kills the old man of the house, her own uncle. I have to say this wasn't much of a mystery to me as it was quite obvious what really happened only pages afterwards that to have characters ruminate upon it for a whole book seems pointless. However, the book does succeed as an historical fiction of the time, the seedy life for the poor, "fallen" women, pedophilia, rape, poorhouse conditions, abortuary practices and the general abuse by the societal sadists who brandish their power over those in lesser circumstances.

Monster Soul 2
Monster Soul 2
by Hiro Mashima
Price: $8.87
52 used & new from $6.10

5.0 out of 5 stars The End!, September 22, 2014
This review is from: Monster Soul 2 (Paperback)
I'm really sad this is only a 2-volume series. I really enjoyed it! Vol. 1 was episodic but here Vol. 2 runs a whole story arc to finish off the plot. There are plenty of battles but this is really just a humorous fun piece of manga. I fell in love with all the characters, every one. This volume also takes time out to do a little flashback and give us the childhood story for each one of them. I'm going to miss these monsters as I had a lot of fun with them. Since it's only two volumes it would make a good gift, but it does carry a deserved T rating.

The Savage Hawkman Vol. 1: Darkness Rising (The New 52) (Hawkman (Numbered))
The Savage Hawkman Vol. 1: Darkness Rising (The New 52) (Hawkman (Numbered))
by James Bonny
Price: $13.60
61 used & new from $6.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, Gotta Love Zombies!, September 21, 2014
Not bad. The first half wasn't very exciting. Hawkman gets his nth metal power and a bad guy is after him because he wants to suck up his energy. We are back to the original Hawkman here too, the human cryptologist, not the alien police enforcer who I've been most familiar with in my reading as a youngster. Anyway, once the first story was over, we suddenly had zombies appear and my interest piqued. Finding the second half of the book much more interesting story wise plus we got to know Carter much better as a person, along with some of the people in his life such as Emma Ziegler. Morphicus was a pretty lame bad guy in the first section but the ambiguous reptile looking shapeshifter Askana, present for the whole book, is a great villainess. Loved her! And my reading of the awful "Static Shock" volume paid off as Static shows up here (and at least I knew who he was and got his jokes) for a few pages to help Hawkman fight off the zombies! Hawkman is around a lot as a member of the Justice League and while this isn't fantastic, I enjoyed reading him on his own. He has one more volume left and I'll definitely be reading that.

Zatch Bell!, Vol. 16 (v. 16)
Zatch Bell!, Vol. 16 (v. 16)
25 used & new from $2.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Volume, September 21, 2014
Oh my! Divine goodness on all accounts! The big battle with the big bad guy is finally here! What everything has been climbing towards for many past books. And what a thrilling conclusion! Almost had me in tears! Reminds me that I love this series because it can get sooooo emotional on top of the great battles and humour. And man is the big boss guy ever awesome this time, well worth the build-up. A huge great heaping of the true meaning of friendship is showered upon us too. Awe and double awe!

Zatch Bell!, Vol. 15 (v. 15)
Zatch Bell!, Vol. 15 (v. 15)
28 used & new from $2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Volume 15, September 21, 2014
I've been on a bit of a hiatus from this series so it was an especial joy to get back into reading another volume and remembering just how much I love Zatch Bell. The characters are all just so genuine and I love them so much! The plot doesn't progress too much for most of the book as we have our teams battling various 1000 year old mamodos the Zofis is controlling. The battle between good and evil is continuing with the good not necessarily winning but at least gaining more members. I love all the characters and the battle action. As the book nears end Zofis learns of a turncoat and comes to do battle himself bringing us the return of a very popular anti-hero team.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20