Profile for Charlie Sierra > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Charlie Sierra "saunderscc" RSS Feed (San Antonio, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2
HyperDrive microSD Adapter for Macbook Pro 13" Retina only
HyperDrive microSD Adapter for Macbook Pro 13" Retina only
Offered by HYPER
Price: $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius solution for late 2013 to present MacBook Pro Retina's w SSD's that can't be upgraded, May 23, 2015
I ran out of space on my 250GB SSD. I was surprised to discover that the SSD can no longer be replaced (as of May 2015, anyway). After a ton of searching, I came across this adapter that allows a microSDXC to act as a second digital drive. I never use the card reader slot, so it's perfect. It fits flush with the side of the computer. You can't even tell it's there. Combine with the fastest microSDXC possible and voila, extra storage that shows up as an external drive. I'm using a 64GB Lexar 633X, but I have Lexar's upcoming 1000X 128GB version on preorder. Which should get me through the remaining lifecycle of this current MacBook Pro.

Highly recommended solution to Apple "design"

[PCMag's Pick] Mpow® iSnap Pro 2-In-1 Self-portrait Monopod Extendable Selfie Stick with built-in Bluetooth Remote Shutter With Adjustable Grip Holder
Offered by Patozon
Price: $14.99
4 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I give the vendor 6-stars, product 4-stars. Here's why:, May 23, 2015
The product works great. However, the first one I received broke. I'd say it was maybe 1/3 user error, 2/3 design/manufacturing flaw. The vendor had automatically followed up with an email after the purchase asking for feedback. I explained it worked great, but that the bracket had snapped off, rendering it incapable of holding a phone. Without my asking, they said they'd send a replacement. A few days later, the replacement arrived and it works great. I especially like the bluetooth button that controls the shutter on my iPhone 6 for photos and video start/stop. I'm docking the selfie stick a star because the first one did break. But I'm adding an extra star for the vendor/manufacturer (not Amazon) because of their outstanding customer service. I recommend the product with the caveat that you will want to be aware that the spring-loaded plastic arm can snap off if you're not careful and apply too much lateral force. Specifically, the tilt is "locked" in place with a tightening knob. However, there are little "notches" that help prevent the phone from slipping from whatever angle you set it to if the knob isn't tightly. The problem is that if you don't loosen the knob enough, the phone will move, but not enough to get past whatever notch it's sitting in. Push too hard and snap. I don't think I will have an issue with it, now that I'm aware of the issue.

The Hillman Group 59335 2-1/2-Inch White Grommet with Cap, 2-Pack
The Hillman Group 59335 2-1/2-Inch White Grommet with Cap, 2-Pack
Offered by Greschlers Hardware
Price: $5.00
2 used & new from $5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I chucked the piece that didn't fit and the finished project actually looks better being a sleeker, May 4, 2015
I'm docking this 1-star because the bottom "tube" piece of the grommet was slightly too large to fit the hole drilled with a 2.5 inch bit. However, the cap alone fits perfectly snug, which is all I actually needed. I chucked the piece that didn't fit and the finished project actually looks better being a sleeker, lower profile install.

Anker 6ft / 1.8m Extra Long Premium Micro USB to USB Cable High Speed USB 2.0 A Male to Micro B for Android, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Nexus and More (White)
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very high quality cable, reasonable price., May 4, 2015
I needed a longish white micro USB that would feed through a fairly small grommet. This appeared to fit the bill (and did). This is actually a very high quality cable, although, that wasn't what I was necessarily looking for in a cable used exclusively for charging, but it is certainly a nice bonus.

I would both recommend and purchase again.

Oakley Airbrake Men's Replacement Lens Snow Goggles Accessories - Black Rose / One Size
Offered by Backcountry
Price: $75.00
5 used & new from $38.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Oakley PRIZM Jade, the one lens to rule them all., March 15, 2015
First, I'm colorblind, not catastrophically so, but enough to obviously see things differently than "normal." As a result, it hasn't been easy for me to find a lense I'm happy with, and I HATE screwing around with lenses throughout the day as conditions change. I've skied a wide variety of lenses in pursuit of a single lens "to rule them all," finding something incrementally better than whatever I had used previously. I currently have 5 different Airbrake lenses as a result.

I just finished a two week stint skiing the PRIZM Jade lens. This period included a wide range of weather from near white-out to spectacular post-dump bluebird conditions. In my view, nothing is great in the flattest light, so these aren't magic lenses, but the PRIZM Jade lenses are superior to the Hi-Yellow in the worst of lighting conditions. In all but extreme flat light, these lenses are great, with bluebird performance being close to a visually religious experience. For me, it may take magic lenses to improve over Oakley's latest offering.

Bottom line: if you are looking for a single lens that is truly exceptional for, say, 90% of conditions while still being above average for the remaining 10% worst conditions, AND has a pleasing base color tint, then Oakley's new PRIZM Jade is your single lens answer. This is a must have.

POC POCito Iris Goggles (Fluorescent Pink, One Size)
POC POCito Iris Goggles (Fluorescent Pink, One Size)
Price: $44.46
10 used & new from $38.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding kids goggles from POC to fit the POCito helmet, December 20, 2013
This review is from: POC POCito Iris Goggles (Sports)
POC arguably makes the best ski helmets on the market today. I purchased a POCito helmet for my 4 year old daughter last season. She had some really inexpensive goggles that were just too small for a helmet. Since it was near the end of the season (and POC infrequently goes on sale), I waited until this season to make the purchase.

There's not much to say on these. POC makes extremely high quality products and it's priced accordingly. That said, I didn't want to cheap out on my daughter's skull nor her eyes on the slopes.

Bottom line, if you're familiar with POC, you aren't reading reviews for advice. If you're unfamiliar with POC, they manufacture extremely high quality, well designed gear. It is an expensive line, no doubt, but in my view, absolutely worth it when one considers the incremental expense is amortized over the several ski seasons the gear will be used.

Maglus Stylus
Maglus Stylus
Offered by MyVolts Power
Price: $35.99
3 used & new from $30.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels good in your hand and the magnet is great, December 20, 2013
Lot's of negative reviews about this for various reasons, mostly relating to delays in delivery. I had ordered one directly from the manufacturer Applydea and it did take a few weeks, maybe a month, to arrive, but I knew they were having difficulty meeting demand. My mother saw this and immediately wanted one. Christmas? Hint? Hint?

I ordered a second off of Amazon and received it yesterday, less than a week after my order with standard shipping.

I haven't had mine long enough to comment on tip durability, but it does come with one replacement. I went and ordered a few replacement tips from Applydea and I do expect those to take some time to arrive.

The magnetic feature is a huge plus. I am using this on a new iPad Air, and the stylus fits just perfectly on the thinner bezel. In fact, the magnets are strong enough to affix the Maglus to iPad with Apple's leather case cover on.

Bottom line: This is a solid feeling stylus that feels like a quality pen in hand. The magnet that allows it to attach to an iPad is a tremendous benefit as it keeps me from losing the thing.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a great kitchen towel, December 20, 2013
I've knocked this a star because they aren't initially very soft to the touch. That said, these kitchen towels are absorbent, appear to be of quality manufacture, and have an upscale appearance. Hopefully, they will soften over time.

Bottom line: I like the CHEFS White Waffle Towels, and I would order them again.

Fisher-Price Cradle 'N Swing, Luv U Zoo
Fisher-Price Cradle 'N Swing, Luv U Zoo

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely died within 5 minutes of assembly., December 20, 2013
My wife ordered this swing based upon the overall high rating. However, if you're reading this review, go read all of the other 1-star reviews. This is a systemically flawed product and appears to have been so for a period of time. So much so, in fact, that there are websites dedicated to replacing the motor on this swing with one from an air freshener.

Further, if you review some of the 2 and 3-star reviews, many of those mention the same failure as consistently covered in the 1-star reviews, they just took a few months to die.

Bottom line, after assembly and following operating instructions, our swing died in under 5 minutes of first use. Swing wouldn't swing, mobile wouldn't rotate, music wouldn't play, buttons wouldn't work. The swing arrived one day, it was assembled, disassembled, and then returned the following day. If zero-star was an option this swing would get it.

The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine
The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine
by Michael Lewis
Price: $17.09
655 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but a little late to market, March 15, 2010
First, I'm a big Lewis fan. Like many, my first exposure to Lewis was Liar's Poker; although, I've read several other Lewis books, his columns in the now defunct Portfolio, and occasional writings on Bloomberg. The Big Short isn't really a Liar's Poker experience.

I enjoyed the book, and it's a quick read. It's just that a couple of Lewis's main characters--Burry of Scion and Lippman of Deutsche--were previously covered in another book, The Greatest Trade Ever. As a result of The Big Short being released comparatively late, some of Lewis's thunder has been stolen, so-to-speak.

Regardless, the story is well written and if I had no experience with sub-prime, structured finance products, etc., I would have enjoyed it more. For the most part, I found myself grinding through the pages covering Burry. Ok, sits in his darkened office, listens to heavy metal, pouring over documents, investment from Gotham Partners, at odds with investors, Goldman not valuing CDS fairly, brink of collapse, etc. There's really little insight to add to this character if you've read The Greatest Trade Ever. In some ways, the same can be said for Lippman.

I did enjoy reading about Eisman of Front Point and his crew.

Bottom line, if you've read The Greatest Trade Ever and you're a huge Lewis fan, you'll likely enjoy the book, but you'll be familiar with the tale. Otherwise, there are probably other titles on your "To Read" list where your time may be better spent.

Of course, if you haven't read The Greatest Trade Ever, The Big Short should be rewarding.

Page: 1 | 2