Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for mhnstr > Reviews

Browse

mhnstr's Profile

Customer Reviews: 444

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

mhnstr RSS Feed (Boston)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Beijing Red: A Thriller (A Nick Foley Thriller)
Beijing Red: A Thriller (A Nick Foley Thriller)
by Brian Andrews
Price: $18.38
73 used & new from $0.90

2.0 out of 5 stars A reliable storyline that just doesnt deliver in this book, July 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Nick Foley is a former Navy SEAL who left that life behind and instead now works for a NGO to help bring water to a minority group in western China. Nick's day was going well. He had successfully motivated his crew of volunteer to dig trenches by hand when their earth mover quit working and he was being flirted with by a cute volunteer from Belgium. But then one of the laborers falls ills remarkably quickly. Nick and two others take the sick man to the hospital where they unexpectedly find themselves quarantined by the staff and military. Although they are eventually released, Nick cant let go the idea that something has happened and that he needs to get to the bottom of it. And maybe see that beautiful Chinese doctor from the hospital again.

While the storyline of a weapon that causes people to rapidly fall ill is predictable, it is a formula that has worked for many authors. However, in this case the story just isnt developed enough and just isnt believable enough. The relationships between the characters depend on the readers suspending their disbelief as those originally perceived as enemies are quickly accepted. For example, it is difficult to believe that members of a special forces branch of the Chinese Military would be so welcoming to a former Navy Seal just because he was vouched for by a woman who the military didnt trust enough to share its secrets with until a few hours before. These occurrences build one on top of the other until the whole story depends on these loose and unbelievable connections for the story to reach its goal. It just became too much and while there are good pieces of writing and some interesting characters, it just isnt enough to save the story.

Overall, a very fast read for the beach. Just dont expect a lot from this book and enjoy the action scenes.

Alarm Clock Xtreme & Timer
Alarm Clock Xtreme & Timer
Price: $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars The alarm clock works well, but it constantly nags for five star reviews and stops working corretly if you decline, July 18, 2016
This review is from: Alarm Clock Xtreme & Timer (App)
I have been using the paid version of the Alarm Clock Xtreme & Timer app for years. The app itself has a lot going for it and when it works, it works very well. But why 2 stars? Because the app will constantly nag you to give it a five star review. You have the option to do this later or to decline. Normally, I would push the button to give it five stars later because I hate this sort of pandering by apps. But, if you click to decline, there is retribution. The two times I have declined, it hasnt stopped the nag screen from coming back. Worse, the alarm wont work the next day. For example, I declined to give a five star review yesterday. This morning, the two alarms I set didnt go off. Not only do they still show as being set, but they still indicate that they should go off today.

A great app that works well, but the nag screens and associated problems are too much. If they developers removed this, I wouldn't hesitate to give the app five stars.

Zeus 100% Boar Bristle Beard Brush for Men - Medium Firm Bristles, Military-Style Palm Brush for Softer, Healthier and More Lustrous Beards - Made in Germany
Offered by Zeus Beard
Price: $19.95

2.0 out of 5 stars The brush has a good construction, but it has a terrible smell like kerosene that lingers for weeks, July 16, 2016
I have been using the Zeus Boar Bristle Beard Brush for several weeks. I chose this brush due to the reviews and because it was made in Germany as opposed to some of the cheaper options. The quality is good and I only had a few bristles fall out if the brush the first day.

However, the annoying thing about the brush is the terrible smell. It had a strong kerosene smell out of the box and the smell has lingered despite soaking the bristles in shampoo and otherwise trying to wash the brush. Since this is a product you are using on your face and in particular, below your nose, the smell is really annoying. The smell has gone from being very strong to less annoying, but it is still there.

I have found the bristles to be thick and stiff. It does a good job on my short beard and even the sides of my head which are cut with a #3 clipper. However, it wont get through the longer hair on the top of my head. So, I imagine that someone with a long, thicker beard wont be able to use this brush very well.

I would be happy with the purchase if not for the smell. The brush seems of good quality otherwise.

South Main Hardware TSA Straight Cable Barrel Key Lock , Red
South Main Hardware TSA Straight Cable Barrel Key Lock , Red
Price: $7.62

3.0 out of 5 stars Barrel Lock, July 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I always use locks on my luggage whether traveling domestically or internationally. While the lock wont stop a determined thief, it will deter a causal one. Basically, my bag just has to appear like more of a hassle to break into than the next one. Plus, the locks prevent zippers from opening accidentally as can happen with overstuffed bags or with rough handling.

I also put a lock on my day pack when traveling. It wont stop someone from grabbing it, but it will stop someone from grabbing the zipper to cause contents to fall out.

Most of my locks are made by Eagle Creak, LL Bean or REI and are the typically thee wheel combination locks. While these work for my purposes, they are sometimes not that hard to defeat, depending on the design. Plus they can be heavy which is weight that adds up if you have locks on lots of zippers.

I was hoping that the South Main Hardware TSA Straight Cable Barrel Key Lock would be a better option. It is basically, a cylindrical lock with a flexible cable sticking out of it. I like the approach because the lock can be used for some beefier zippers which are a bit tight for traditional locks. But, the barrel is heavier than expected, but in terms of making something that will survive abuse, I suppose there is no way around that. My only concern is that the flexible, metal cable which is used to secure the lock may be more inviting to cut than a more traditional shackle.

Overall, not a bad option, especially if you are looking for a lock that allows you to secure wider zipper pulls than a traditional clasp lock. But, I dont see too many other advantages over my existing clasp locks and so wont buy additional barrel locks.

Gatorade Protein Powder, Chocolate (20 servings per canister, 20 grams of protein per serving)
Price: $22.00
2 used & new from $22.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but results in a clumpy drink that has an artificial sweetener aftertaste, July 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am training for a marathon and have been going on longer and harder runs that I am used to and so I was keen to try a protein drink to help speed up my recovery.

The source of the protein in the drink is whey which is supposed to be absorbed faster than many other proteins. The nutrition label is available in the product description and so you can decide if the ratio of protein (20g per 32 g serving) to carbs (6g per serving), fat (2g per serving) and sodium (310 mg per serving) is what you are looking for in a drink. The artificial sweetener is sucralose which is probably better known as one of its brand names of Splenda.

If you are expecting to be able to drink a smooth drink, then this is not the product for you. Despite rigorous stirring, the drink normally has a log of clumps. I gave up on the mixing and just expect that the drink will be rather thick and clumpy which is actually not that bad.

The taste has hints of chocolate and is not at all unpleasant when you drink it. However, there is an aftertaste that I would associate with the artificial sweetener.

My stomach has tolerated reasonably well. I will drink a serving after getting home from a long run and then drink several glasses of water as well followed by brushing my teeth to get rid of the aftertaste. My stomach does sometimes have a dull discomfort for an hour, but it could also be due to not having more to eat after the long run.

It is difficult to say if the Gatorade Protein Powder is doing anything for me. Since starting to drink it, I have noticed that I am recovering better from workouts, but that may also be due to having built up my endurance better. But, eating protein right after a workout is supposed to help with muscle repair and so I will continue to use the powder for now.

Proraso Shaving Cream, Sensitive Skin, 5.2 oz (150 ml)
Proraso Shaving Cream, Sensitive Skin, 5.2 oz (150 ml)
Price: $10.00
2 used & new from $10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice shaving cream for sensitive skin, July 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using Proraso Shaving Soap in a Bowl, Refreshing and Toning, 5.2 oz (150 ml) for years and swear by it as the best product for a close shave that doesnt irritate my skin. But, when I saw the Proraso Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin, I decided to give it a go as an alternative for when I travel and dont want to carry both the plastic container the shaving soap comes in and my shaving brush. The shaving cream isnt the best fit for this because the tube is huge, but I am very pleased with the product.

I have been trying to use the cream without a brush to see how well applying it without a brush works. I think that I am using much more of the product when I use wet fingers instead of a wet brush, but it does work.

The shaving cream feels slightly greasy when applying it, but it washes off cleanly, leaving skin that feels moisturized. The shaving cream has a light scent which I barely notice.

For shaving, the shaving cream works well. I can make smooth strokes using my safety razor to get a close shave and my skin does not feel irritated afterwards. This is particularly important on my neck where the skin can get irritated if I shave too close too often.

Overall, a nice product, especially if you are looking for shaving cream for sensitive skin. Otherwise, I recommend the Proraso Shaving Soap which is more convenient to apply using a brush, has a nice scent and works well.

OXO Good Grips 8" Chef's Knife
OXO Good Grips 8" Chef's Knife
Price: $24.99
10 used & new from $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars OXO 8" Chef Knife, July 2, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have an OXO set of knives that I have been using for two years and like most OXO products, I thought the knives were good value. But, this is my first knife from the professional line and the quality of the professional chef knife is definitely better.

The 8" chef knife is well balanced with the center of gravity located just at the end of the handle. The knife has some heft to it which gives the impression of quality. The handle is covered with a hard plastic which provides a grip without being too soft which would be annoying when using the knife for a long time. I found that the knife was sharp out of the box and it has retained that sharpness so far.

The only disappointing thing about the professional knives is that there is not the option to purchase the knives as a collection with a knife block.

MUkitchen Cotton Stripe Dishcloth, 13 by 13-Inches, Set of 2, Cobalt
MUkitchen Cotton Stripe Dishcloth, 13 by 13-Inches, Set of 2, Cobalt
Price: $10.76
2 used & new from $4.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 23, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Excellent dish cloths. They are thick and absorbent. The blue stripes are sharp and the material has a nice weave. There is a loop in one corner to hang the cloths.

MUkitchen 100% Cotton Oversized Designer Kitchen Towel, 20 by 30-Inches, Local Motion
Price: $5.99
2 used & new from $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fashionable rather than functional, June 23, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The MUkitchen 100% Cotton Oversized Designer Kitchen Towel was not what I expected. The design is nice, but the material itself is more like a cloth napkin than a typical dish towel. So while the towel does look nice in the kitchen and it should be useful with its large size, it unfortunately isnt so useful since it gets saturated with water quickly and wrinkles. It would seem the towel was more meant to be a decoration than something function for the kitchen.

MUkitchen Adjustable Cotton Herringbone Weave Apron with Large Pockets, 35", Bicycles
Offered by Golda's Kitchen
Price: $20.77
2 used & new from $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp apron, but the material is a little thin., June 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received the bicycle version of the apron. The white bicycle prints looked sharp against the navy blue background and the red straps add a bit of finesse.

The cotton material used to make the apron is a bit thin for my liking. Although the apron is great for keeping your clothes from light spills, I suspect the apron won't stop a large spill in the kitchen from getting through to your clothes underneath.

There is a big pocket at the front of the apron.

Overall, not bad, but I would have preferred a thicker material was used to make the apron.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20