Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Profile for Michael Clabough > Reviews

Browse

Michael Clabough's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Clabough "M. Clabough" RSS Feed (Redondo Beach, CA)

First Alert CO615 Dual Power Carbon Monoxide Plug-In Alarm with Battery Backup and Digital Display
Price: $27.87
118 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Might have just saved our lives, January 16, 2011
I bought two of these after another cheaper carbon monoxide detector had alarmed in the middle of the night. I had read some reviews of the other carbon monoxide detector having false alarms and convinced myself it was probably a false alarm but I opened windows to air out the house.

I got these two days ago and they alarmed the first night. I opened the windows and deduced that it was probably my tankless water heater which was recently installed and failed inspection. It is scheduled to be brought up to code this week.

To prove my theory I made sure the central heat was off for a day and we hadn't used the clothes dryer for a few days and I put one of these detectors in the laundry room where the tankless water heater is installed. We have one of those large jacuzzi style baths in the master bathroom (hence the need to have the tankless) and we took a bath last night. When we were done the alarm was going off. I had done some minimal research before doing this test and knew that too high of a level (12,800 ppm) can kill you instantly after just 2 or 3 breaths. I had read that 400+ can be lethal. Wikipedia states 800 ppm will cause dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min and you will be insensible within 2 hours and 1600 ppm can kill you in 2 hours. So I went downstairs to see what the reading was.

I held my breath and went in. 875ppm is what it read. I called 911 and the firemen came.

My wife, 2 year old, and 2 month old were upstairs and in a room with the windows wide open. They came in and took their readings. They said they are not allowed to work in an environment where the levels are above 30 ppm without respirators. The windows had been open for 15 minutes and they were still getting readings over 70.

Later, we compared what their professional monitor said to what the my 2nd First Alert Carbon monoxide detector was reading (remember I bought two of these). Their reading matched exactly what this unit displayed. So you can trust these devices.

Please trust your device. Thats what you bought it for. Call 911. Open windows or get out of there. The long term affects of Carbon Monoxide exposure can cause heart problems, learning disabilities, and many other terrible things. I am now worried about what this has been doing to my family over the last 4 months since the water heater was installed. Like I said I have a 2 month old....

I have posted a picture of the unit reading the max value from last night.
Comment Comments (30) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2015 1:34 AM PST

T-fal BF6520 Vitesses 1.7-Liter Electric Kettle with Variable Temperature, White
5 used & new from $104.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Heats 1.7L of water in 6 minutes 45 seconds to a rolling boil, December 2, 2010
I think this unit is definitely a bargain for the price. Works as advertised. Construction seems sturdy enough. I'd recommend this unit.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard Seam Hurts My Daughter's Legs, June 30, 2010
We have had two of these for 7 months. My big gripe right now is that my 19 month olds legs hurt when she sits in the seat to the point that she says ouch and points at her legs. She has gotten into the habit of pulling her legs up and sitting in weird positions so that her legs don't rest on the seam between the two different fabrics. The seam is like a plastic tube between the fabrics. I would recommend looking at a different model.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars (just like the package says) Not really for Fireplaces..., November 16, 2009
I went to a hardware store looking for fireplace paint. The guy in the paint department said that this was all they had. This paint is technically not for fireplaces. The painted surface is not supposed to touch flame.I had read somewhere that someone else had some success with this paint on a surface that touched flame. I was installing an artificial log set so I figured the flame wouldn't touch the walls much. After installation there is a part of the wall that the flame regularly touches. Some of the paint in that area is flaking off a little. The flaking is in faux grout grooves of the fake brick surface. It could be that I just didn't clean that surface adequately prior to painting.

The paint itself does have a nice look and texture. I am very pleased with how it looks so far.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2011 11:25 AM PDT

Oahu Revealed: The Ultimate Guide to Honolulu, Waikiki & Beyond (Oahu Revisited)
by Andrew Doughty
112 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars What ALL Travel Guides Should Strive to Be, March 28, 2008
This book made our trip to Oahu fantastic. This book really let us utilize our time efficiently and make the most out of our trip. I like how you could follow along in the book as you drive along the coast and identify things to stop and see as you go.

Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup (Uncooked) Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer, Premium White, 1.0-Liter
Price: $159.95
18 used & new from $105.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock out with your Rice Cooker, March 10, 2006
I love this rice cooker. I mean it. My wife and I are doing really well but if this rice cooker decided to come alive I would totally drop everything else just to be with it. It plays music when you set the timer and again when the rice is done. Even kung fu ninjas would bow in respect to this awesome rice cooking machine. Oh and did I mention that it can keep your rice warm and edible for DAYS at a time?!! And it seriously cooks all kinds of rice. I bet it could even cook magic space rice from the planet Nublargorwidspritezensploog. It's about time I get going. My tasty, warm, day old rice is waiting for me.... mmmmm rice