Profile for Haynes Z > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Haynes Z RSS Feed

Transistor Original Soundtrack
Transistor Original Soundtrack

5.0 out of 5 stars Transistor OST, May 29, 2014
The songs match the bleak and listless tone of the game itself, and they flow together very well. There's a hint of the old-time bars and back alleys of the 20's and 30's mixed in. The songs hold their own, even while not in context of the story, and are a great listen. I bought this sound track before I played the game, and I thought it was fantastic.
The songs themselves are moody and depressing, with a small number of casual, slower tempo melodies that even out the music. The guitars go well with the synthesized sounds, and the drums have a jumpy rhythm that bounces about, or is more lax and sedating, depending on the track.
Most of the music is heard in the background of the game itself, but there are a few that have added vocals. While the mood is heavy, melancholy, and generally sad, Ashley Barrett lends her voice and makes some of the songs truly stand out.
Everyone's musical preferences differ, but I personally recommend this to anyone and everyone who likes the dreary tune that floats through the album.
Good work, Darren Korb!

Halo 4: Original Soundtrack (Deluxe Edition) [+digital booklet]
Halo 4: Original Soundtrack (Deluxe Edition) [+digital booklet]

4.0 out of 5 stars Halo 4 OST, January 2, 2013
The music in-game was good and I found myself pausing just to Google what songs came on when. Not all of them were my favorite orchestral pieces but the music I found good to listen to when playing other games, or just to have on when in the house. They carry a lighter tune for the most part, and has a mix of mainly tension building tracks mixed in with some mystical and fight scenes. A good buy, well worth the money regardless of the game it accompanies.

Na Na Ni
Na Na Ni

5.0 out of 5 stars Fredrik - Na Na Ni (not full album), January 2, 2013
This review is from: Na Na Ni (MP3 Music)
I only picked up three songs form the album and I absolutely love them! The rest just felt like filler but since I didn't pay full price and got nothing I didn't want, full 5 stars! Just my personal opinion.

Den Sista Fabriken
Den Sista Fabriken

3.0 out of 5 stars Fredrik - Den Sista Fabriken, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Den Sista Fabriken (MP3 Music)
I heard the songs playing on Story Corps. and bought the CD almost immediately after because I liked the music. Unfortunately only about half the songs felt like they had rhythm and a direction, where the rest felt like simple tunes and were nothing more than filler. I liked the songs I picked it out for, but was disappointed with the rest of the album. This rating is just personal opinion.

Strange & Beautiful
Strange & Beautiful
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aqualung - Strange & Beautiful, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Strange & Beautiful (MP3 Music)
I have a lot of nostalgia for this band and couldn't remember the name. I've very happy when I came across them on accident. The band plays slower, more mellow music in this album and the songs are just as good as I remembered them to be. 4 stars was given since there are a few songs that I'm not particularly into but there's nothing wrong with the album or other songs.

Fanatic - A TERA Short Story
Fanatic - A TERA Short Story

5.0 out of 5 stars TERA 'Fanatic' Review, October 29, 2012
TERA is a game I play with much love and adoration, from the combat to the face-palming quest title puns. When I heard that e-Books were coming out I bought them immediately, and this was no exception.
The other four books each had their ups and downs, and felt as if they were just there without reason. I am pleased that this story takes into consideration some of the mistakes the previously released books miss. For one, the characters and settings are based around the game itself, rather than just happening to be related only by a name of a town, city, or character in the series. Also, without going over the top, it's grounded within the bounds of the game itself and there are no super-human effects or any parts where I feel that I need to crease my brows and give an 'oh really?' when a character jumps over a mountain.
The story itself is good and gives insight into a brash young girl's hunger for glory and the inability to see how unforgiving reality can be. The focus is targeted at this specific point in her life and the consequences of her actions. Instead of seeing a savior or hero, we see a person as they are and not a period Superman. Decisions, consequences and actions take a good, long look into why the two sides are fighting in a more global way, but still stay focused on the character herself.
All in all I rate this short story five stars because it fits the TERA series as well as being an entertaining read. The only small gripe I have would be the same word (realized, retched) would be used overly frequently in the same sentence. However this is nothing more than a small flea on the back of a large, well-scripted tiger that captures your attention and mauls you with good story telling for 10 minutes. I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent reading and was very satisfied in a dollar well spent. I would like to see more from this author and would be overjoyed if more were her were to be released.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2012 5:31 PM PST

Death at Forgeheart - A TERA Short Story
Death at Forgeheart - A TERA Short Story

4.0 out of 5 stars TERA Death at Forgeheart Review, May 31, 2012
As I play and enjoy TERA I'm always looking out for the short stories and will buy them every chance I get. I liked this story because it plays out more in the line of customs and lore. Unlike the other stories, you cannot simply switch the characters out with other names and have the same impact. I liked the unfolding plot that looked through each character's mind.
The pros are that it focuses mainly on the game itself and the lore surrounding it that is based heavily off what the world of TERA truly is. It has a smooth atmosphere and transitions somewhat cleanly from one scene to the next, and quite a bit happens even though there is only one setting. The characters do not change and instead play the roles they need to very well and are defined, instead of magically changing at a small event that leads to nowhere.
The down-side is that often words are repeatedly and little quirks, (such as starting a sentence with But~), show up fairly often. Also, the ending was a bit anti-climactic and stumbled when I was hoping for a bit more. The last thing that bothered me was that certain words, such as Amani, Baraka and the rest of the important races were not capitalized. This may seem minor but they are vital to the world that is being portrayed.
A good story overall, and worth the money, it could be more. With a small bit of work and elbow grease, this story could be straightened out with almost no quips since it tells a STORY, a good one, and is well played with only small frays around the edges instead of any major problems.
The only way this could have been better story-wise is if EME released more lore and history that could have been written, but the author did a great job with the little information the average person can look up. I give it a 4/5, well worth a buck.

The Amaranthine Heart - A TERA Short Story
The Amaranthine Heart - A TERA Short Story

4.0 out of 5 stars TERA The Amaranthine Heart, March 31, 2012
This story was done well and stands alone from the main TERA story line but not so far that the characters could be switched in and out too easily. Each one has their own personality, to a degree, and the main character has a nice back story added while he sleeps. With a short amount of time to write in the author did a good job in showing action and a bit of surprise and plot with the twists. You could see what was coming, but not in it's entirety, leaving the mystery open. The action was scripted well and words were not repeatedly and the story was not hurriedly switched from one scene to another just on whim or because the author of something else.
While good the story occasionally feels a little showy when the main's characters internal thoughts seem to take an almost-rebel twenty year old's stance and tone, which seems out of character for who the soldier was made out to be. His back story also didn't play much into the main story but some ends were tied up by the finish and seemed to work fairly well. TERA fans might be a little disappointed to find that while it's located in the series' world, it doesn't bring out much of the lore or history of the game.
Your time won't be wasted reading this, and it is certainly good, minus the drawbacks. Well worth more than the tiny price it goes for, your time won't be wasted, even with the small nit-picks. Definitely my favorite of the three stories written about TERA.

Fire and Ice - A TERA Short Story
Fire and Ice - A TERA Short Story

3.0 out of 5 stars TERA Fire and Ice Review, March 30, 2012
The story itself looks like an excerpt from Leander's brother in the story line of TERA. As a fan of the game series I enjoyed being able to recognize the words and ways of the game and it fit well into the story. The author did a good job conveying the world as the denizens themselves would see it.
The story itself did well in showing the lore and using what we know to spin a tale of might and magic without being over the top and reducing the hero and heroine into bland, dull, super-beings that could do anything they pleased. It fit in well with the series and is definitely worth the read for any fans. The characters were well-explained, even with the quick introduction and limited space the author had to work with.
While it's worth taking a look at for anyone willing to read it, this is not a Jack London or Mark Danielewski book. There are little 'blurbs' in the writing that could use some work ("She backflipped... came up in a guard position"), and repeated words that seem to hurry the scene along rather than transition from one point to another. The only time I frowned was when (I'm not spoiling anything) a physical condition didn't seem to alter the flow of action at all, which in reality, would have drastically affected the character in question once you learn about it.
In short the characters aren't bad, the action is present and a bit of story for anyone interested in the lore. While it has drawbacks it's a good read for anyone familiar with the franchise and wants a brief glimpse into the world of TERA. Don't take my word for it, it was well worth the Washington to pass time.