Profile for D. Fowler > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 12030

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Fowler RSS Feed
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Moroccan Argan Hair Oil Conditioning Treatment With Natural Pure Ingredients From Morocco 100ml
Offered by secondglancebeauty
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect mixture of oils that works perfectly to soothe my dry skin ..., September 1, 2014
I’m a big fan of argan oil with its multipurpose benefits. I have had larger bottles, but this one is perfect for toting along when I’m on the go. The interesting thing about this brand of argan oil, is the fact that it is a mixture of oils. In addition to the argan it also has coconut and avocado. Such a nice mixture for soothing the skin, or as some prefer, to liven up the hair.

This Argan Oil: Pure Argan Treatment Oil absorbs very nicely into the skin. When I pumped a few drops into my hands it did have an oily appearance, but quickly absorbed into my skin. Whenever I use argan oil, it does absorb quickly and seems to take that dry look right along with it, something that’s perfect for someone with especially dry skin.

FEATURES:

► Only a few drops conditions your hair leaving it smooth and silky
► A great natural moisturizer for feet, skin, hands and nails with antimicrobial properties helping to protect your skin while fighting the signs of tell-tale signs of ageing
► Help alleviate the symptoms of psoriasis and eczema
► Prevents stretch and helps to fade stretch marks
► Reduces oily skin and helps fight acne breakouts

The Argan Hair Oil is in a brown tinted plastic bottle, which will keep the oil from degrading. The bottle is a pump style with a cap to prevent leaking. There’s 100mL (3.38 fl. ounces) in the bottle, but it should last a while considering how little it takes to sooth small patches of dry skin. This is a very nice oil that I really love and will use it now and then to sooth my dry skin, or if need be, put a bit in my hair.

Sample provided for review.

Alchemist Rx Compression Socks. Size M.
Alchemist Rx Compression Socks. Size M.
Offered by Team Alchemist
Price: $59.95
2 used & new from $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars These are great compression socks for both the athlete and those who have medical issues ..., August 31, 2014
I’ve purchased compression socks, both for medical problems and for the athlete. The style and design definitely have the athlete in mind and are way cool. My son is a biker and a boarder and uses socks like these for optimum performance and to shorten recovery time. The Alchemist compression socks combine functionality with fashion.

Compression socks, I’m sorry to say, are usually ultra-ugly and difficult to get on. The Alchemist can lay claim to neither of these. They look like a regular sock and don’t have the toes cut off like some of them. Unlike the white ones, after washing they still look clean and don’t take on a dingy look. I always wash compression socks in warm water with a bit of Woolite and dry them flat.

► Rx CORE Polyamid Fiber
► 30-40 mmHg Graduated Compression
► Rapid Recovery for Racing and Training
► Increased Output and Reduced Fatigue
► Protection and Support After Injury
► Perfect for Travel
► Ankle Wrap Provides Added Stability
► Cross-Woven Arch Support

When I’m at my desk for long periods of time, I do get some swelling in my legs. When I wore these, that was minimized. It feels as if the Alchemist socks have extra padding in the foot, but heading up the leg there are different weaves. The top of the foot appears to have a basketweave-like stitch that graduates into a parallel one. It’s back to the basketweave on the 1” band on the top.

The Alchemist socks are definitely well-made and the design is quite impressive. It’s obvious you’re getting what you pay for. They certainly are comfortable without being binding or overly restrictive. I can’t attest to the medical claims, but I’ve seen plenty of compression socks and these are among the best. I’d definitely recommend them to athletes, but if you are on your feet all day (or off as the case may be), these might the type of sock you may wish to consider.

Sample provided for review.

Poweradd™ 14W Foldable Solar Panel Portable Solar Charger for iphone, iPad, iPod, Samsung Galaxy Series Phones and Tablets, Other Android Phones, Touch Screen Tablets, GPS, eReaders, Bluetooth Speakers, Gopro Cameras and Many Other 5V USB-Charged Devices
Offered by PoweraddDirect
Price: $149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Poweradd is a performer and packs a punch in the power department ..., August 31, 2014
Length:: 0:44 Mins

I really love the anything solar and the Poweradd is an excellent solar charger, but if you haven't used a solar charger before, it will take a bit of experimentation before use. Obviously in order to take full advantage of the panels, you'll need some full sun. You should try to place the panels at a 45° angle so they'll catch some rays. I do like the cautionary note on the inside mentioning that Poweradd can't control the weather. Many people have overly ambitious expectations as to what these panels can and cannot do.

There are several things you'll need to keep in mind even before you think about putting the Poweradd in your cart. Take for example if you're going hiking. Are you planning on taking that tablet? Probably not, but you'll most likely be taking along a couple of phones, a handheld GPS, and perhaps one or two other small devices that need recharging. You seriously can't expect to charge a power hog with two panels.

Recharging is the key here and you may wish to add an external battery pack to the list. If you know the battery capacity of your devices, you'll be amazed at the actual capacity of the Poweradd. For example, the iPhone 5 has a battery capacity of 1440mAh while the iPad Air has a capacity of 8820mAh. Consider what you'll be using and what you want to charge or take with you. If you spread out the Poweradd you can attach a larger reserve battery pack to store the extra power generated. This extra power generated can be used later if the weather turns or it's cloudy.

My recommend would be to take along a 17000mAh battery pack. They tend to be slimmer and pack a punch in the charging department. Oh, and don't forget the cables because the Poweradd doesn't have them, least ways the 14W one I have. There's only one port in this 14 Watt solar panel. These are like the ones you have in your PC. This is unmarked but has an output of 5.5V / 2545mA, sufficient enough to charge your phone

I've tested out solar panels before and have tried powering up several different small devices successfully. In this case I charged my Kindle. What you need to watch out for is overheating your device. I'd recommend keeping the Poweradd in full sun and your device in a shaded area if possible. For example, the iPhone will say "Temperature: iPhone needs to cool down." The same holds true for other devices. Usually any small device will tolerate temps up to 95° before running into problems. Prevent them from overheating by protecting them and keeping them out of the sun.

FEATURES:

► 14 watt mono-crystalline upto 18% conversion rate solar array provides up to 5V/2545mA output.
► Compatible with all 5V USB-charged devices, including iPhones, iPads, iPods, Android smart phones, Android tablets, GPS and so on.
► PET plastic laminate and PVC water-proof material to ensure weather-resistant and durability.
► Folding size only 9.25 x 6.69 inches, ultra-compact and super portability. Eyeholes design makes it convenient to attach on backpack for use on the go.
► Package contents: Poweradd solar panel charger, user manual.

Obviously you aren't going to get much in the box: the Poweradd and a folded over sheet of paper with minimal instructions. The 12-month warranty period is not as good as I'd like to see, but the price is good. I've seen warranties that hit the three-year mark. The Poweradd should conceivably last this long, but obviously I can't know that at this point in time. The canvas is not waterproof nor water-resistant, so I'd add a small rain cover or keep the plastic bag that comes in the box.

The canvas is definitely sturdy and heavy with a reinforced internal backing that will protect the panels when the Poweradd is closed. There's an internal storage pocket in the back of the panels that has the USB ports. I wouldn't recommended adding anything to this pocket save a small microfiber cloth to wipe down the panels. The directions are minimalist and when it lists the specs it is rather confusing because it lists specs for all models. For example, I have the 14W and no micro US cable is included (you use your own).

The solar panels are quite vulnerable so I'd do consider adding that microfiber cloth to the pocket. I wipe the solar cells down (they do smudge) trying to make sure I don't get any dirt on them. As you fold the solar cells when you are done, lightly wipe the canvas before folding. I actually put a pit in one of my other solar panels because I didn't wipe it down before closing. Be especially cautious if you are placing the Poweradd on the ground because dust particles can drift on to the panels. The entire set up is quite solid and very well-designed.

There are no loops on this panel so you'll have to stow it in a backpack. One last hint is that you will need to expose the panels to at least 30 seconds of direct sunlight before using, preferable at that 45° angle. This is essentially a plug-and-play ("charge") device and not a lot can go wrong. The Poweradd is very efficient, but once again, I'm going to repeat myself and encourage you to practice and experiment before you go camping. I do like these solar panels and feel the price is quite competitive.

Sample provided for review.

Deiss Julienne Peeler & Slicer ★ Ultra Sharp Zucchini Noodles Maker ★ Premium Stainless Steel Shredder, Cutter, Slicer & Peeler - All in One Professional Garnishing Tool ★ Peels Apple, Potato, Carrot, Orange, Radish & Other Veggies with Ease ★ Chef-inspired Vegetable Slicer & Peeler with Non-slip Handle for a Safe and Comfortable Grip ★ Easily Cuts Neat Slices and Makes Long Thin Noodles
Offered by Deiss Kitchenware
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Deiss peeler is ultra-easy to use and perfect for producing veggies for garnishes, stir-fry, wraps, and salads ..., August 31, 2014
I've been quite busy using this peeler with all the veggies coming out of the gardens. I like to have wraps for my lunches, stir-fry dishes, and salads. The dual blades are quite convenient to say the least. I can easily julienne my own vegetables instead of purchasing shredded vegetables at the store. In the wintertime purchasing them is oftentimes more cost-effective, but not at this time of year.

I can peel my carrots with the side of the Deiss sans the "teeth." The peeler simply floats over a carrot or potato without a lot of waste. I don't really care to see chunks of vegetables as a result of a poorly designed peeler. The Deiss reminds me of an old Castor peeler I have that's very efficient and quite useful. It didn't take long before I was churning out thin strips of carrot for my wrap.

This type of peeler is intuitive to use and no one really needs instructions. It's out of the box and right to work. The spray-rubber handle provides a no-slip grip so I won't be tossing it on the floor. If you want zucchini noodles, you may wish to head to a spiral slicer, but if you need piles of fresh julienne vegetables for garnishes, stir-fry, salads, and soups, this one is perfect.

The wide, sharp, stainless blades make it easy to work with almost any kind of vegetable. Potatoes, zucchini, onions, cucumbers, summer squash and other vegetables are ready in minutes. There are two potato eye removers on either side of the peeler. The pointed one can be used to slice strips off cukes or to garnish an orange if you want. The peeler is approximately 6-1/2" long and the swivel heads are 2-3/4" wide. The blades are about 2" wide.

As far as cleaning, I had no issues. I used a light-action cut and didn't have any chunks in the serrated blades. I do have a small brush that I use to clean vegetables that also will have double-duty on these blades if necessary. Very pleased with this julienne shredder and peeler and I'm sure with the vegetables coming out I'll make good use of it.

Price: $17.99
3 used & new from $11.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect assortment of storage containers for the average household ..., August 31, 2014
I don’t need piles and piles of Tupperware-like containers so this, along with a few larger sets, is perfect for my household. Some of the Tupperware I have is older than the hills and is not see-through. More than once I’ve opened up a mysterious container in the fridge and seen things growing in there that I’d rather not see.

I very much like the variety in this box. There are a couple of small containers that are perfect for small amounts of condiments or leftover sauce. I know that when I make a brown sugar sauce I hate to throw it out, but also hate to have it in a much larger container. There are seven containers in this box, a perfect assortment for all of my needs.

There are my piles of containers under one cupboard that are either cracked or missing tops. I have no idea how that happens, but it does. It’s kind of like the missing sock in the laundry phenomenon. My husband and I are dividing these up in a his and her manner. He’s taking some off to camp and the rest are staying here. If you don’t need a large quantity of containers, this is certainly a selection to look at.

► Graduated Sizes Store Inside Each Other Including Lids
► Microwave Safe - Freezer Safe - Dishwasher Safe - BPA Free
► Containers also nest for easy storage
► Click and lock lids with silicone seals open and shut easily
► BPA free polypropylene container and lid

CAPACITY:

~► 1 rectangle with lid: 1.1L / 39 ounces
~► 1 rectangle with lid: 500mL / 17.5 ounces
~► 1 rectangle with lid: 220mL / 7.5 ounces

Sample provided for review.

Frigidaire 26 Oz Round Food Storage Container and Salad Bowl with Click and Lock Lids and Airtight Seal
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size for a small salad or leftovers container ..., August 30, 2014
I always used to take a small salad to work with me. At home I’ll eat huge ones, but for work this size container is just perfect. If the salad gets upended in my paper bag, it’s no problem because it’s got four flip locks that will keep it tightly shut. A silicone seal is perfect for keeping an airtight seal and prevents anything from accidentally leaking.

Just to test it, I filled it more than half way with water and shook it heavily. Absolutely not one drop leaked out. The seal is perfect. That tells me that were I to put anything liquid in to tote along, I wouldn’t have to worry about seepage. Been there, done that many times. It’s not a huge capacity container, but large enough to hold many types of leftovers easily.

► 4-Way Locking Lids So You Know That It Is Locked Shut
► Click For A Sure Lock

This is quite a sturdy, durable container. I do have some containers that have cracked way to easily. I don’t suspect this will crack unless I drop it. I don’t care to use any type of plastic container in the microwave, but wouldn’t hesitate to put this one in the freezer. I do wash things by hand so can’t vouch for the “dishwasher safe” claim. I washed it in warm sudsy water before using. Perfect size container, especially for salads.

Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great containers, especially for a variety of cereals ..., August 30, 2014
When I took a look at this trio of containers, the first thing I thought of was Chex party mix. I eat a lot of cereal, mainly because it tends to be easy to fix. Ultra-easy actually. I already have Wheat, Corn, and Rice Chex on hand, just the right fixings for a batch of party mix. And yes, I have the Cheerios, pretzels, and peanuts.

You can store grains in these containers, but I probably would opt for air tight glass containers for longer storage. With cereals, these are perfect. The wide flip tops allow a larger amount of cereal to to be poured into a dish. In most houses, cereal doesn't last a long time. In my house, I tend to be the only one eating a certain kind and frankly, at times it gets rather stale. This type of container is perfect for my needs because folding over the interior liner, which doesn't work particularly well.

Snacks are my thing as well, but I don't often buy them because once a bag is open I get that stale problem again. My chip clips seriously don't help much at all at times. My honey wheat twists often lack that nice crunch after a week or so and I simply have to forget about buying veggie sticks or chips.

FEATURES:

► Flip top is perfect for cereals and snacks
► Set of 3 containers
► Flexible rubber lid keeps contents fresh and secure
► Includes 5.4 Liter 3.1 Liter and 1.5 Liter containers with lids
► BPA free, Freezer safe, Dishwasher safe

If you're going to purchase these for grains, put a bay leaf in each container to ward off insects. The rest of your grains should be stored in glass containers. Any grains in these containers would be considered for use in the near future. There are plenty of uses for this type of container, but primarily food as they are BPA-free and food grade.

Because I wash everything by hand, I can't vouch for the "dishwasher safe" claim, but before I set these to use, I washed them in warm soap and water. One other nice thing I like about them is the textured no-slip (or low-slip) grip on the side. Very nice containers that will see a lot of use in this house.

Sample provided for review.

Frigidaire 54 Oz Food Storage Container and Lunch Box with Click and Lock Lids and Airtight Seal
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Large capacity, multi-use storage container that is perfect for larger amounts of food ..., August 30, 2014
I have more storage containers than Carters has liver pills as they say. Most of it tends to be junky and rather ancient. The ancient are odd pieces of Tupperware and the junky is the stuff I get when I am bringing home leftovers from Chinese food. Oh, and then there are the cheap deli containers.

There are piles of it in one of my lower cupboards just waiting for leftovers. I always have them on hand for when the relatives arrive and want to take home some goodies. This particular Frigidaire silicone storage container could be used to tote a lunch to work. If you are into very large salads this would be perfect, however, I'd opt for using it as a fridge container.

There's a lightweight decorative cardboard insert on the inside. It has a fruit salad imprinted on it, the perfect suggestion for utilizing this storage container. With a 1.6 liter (54 ounces) there's plenty of room for quite a large mixture. I can use it at home or take it off to a church potluck if I want.

► 4 Way Locking Lids So You Know That It Is Locked Shut
► Clicks Closed For A Sure Lock

I do like the silicone seals. Silcone seals quite nicely and I'm not getting the absorption of other flavors in the fridge. It's so gross when I hit an off taste of whatever else is in that fridge. The capacity is awesome and the BPA-free aspect I really like. Chem-free is the word of the day for many people who don't like anything leaching into their food except for maybe the sauces they put on it.

I wash everything by hand so won't be using a dishwasher. I tend to stay away from using anything other than glass in the microwave. I've had way too many things melt, but at least the Frigidaire containers are safe if you care to use them. I think this container is very durable and definitely worth the money. If you've ever purchased Tupperware (who hasn't?), you'll know this is well worth the asking price.

Sample provided for review.

Frigidaire 2.5 Liter Food Storage Container and Lunchbox with Click and Lock Lids
Price: $11.99

There's a lightweight decorative cardboard insert on the inside. It has a fruit salad imprinted on it, the perfect suggestion for utilizing this storage container. With a 2.5 liter (84.53 ounces) there's plenty of room for quite a large mixture. I can use it at home or take it off to a church potluck if I want.

► 4 Way Locking Lids So You Know That It Is Locked Shut
► Clicks Closed For A Sure Lock

Sample provided for review.

Teach Yourself VISUALLY iMac (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
Teach Yourself VISUALLY iMac (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
by Guy Hart-Davis
Price: $21.21
49 used & new from $16.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Guy Hart-Davis has the perfect step-by-step formula for the visual learner who has an iMac ..., August 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Guy Hart-Davis has just the right formula for teaching the iMac neophyte just how to make their way around. Frankly, if I could afford it, I dedicate a shelf to his books. I love the visual approach to learning and find this book to be very user-friendly. A friend has an iMac and whenever I’ve worked with it, I hate to sit there and ask questions while she’s reading or working on something else. How do I send an email in Stationary?

It’s quite easy actually and Hart-Davis has a step-by-step way of explaining just how to do it. The accompanying visuals with numbered bullet points that direct you exactly where you should be looking are a huge help to someone like me. It makes everything I need to know or want to learn just that much easier. It’s as if I have a tutor right on hand pointing to an iMac explaining everything I need to know.

The book is not a progressive read, but I see it rather as one in which I can access information on a need to know basis. The index is expansive and very well organized, a quality I do appreciate in any book I’ve had. This book is probably targeted toward the beginner, however, I did find things like transferring files via AirDrop very informative. Just how can I get a file to another Mac and how can I receive one? The instructional almost makes it seem easy.

The book is an excellent visual tutorial that will help me tremendously when I’m using an iMac. There are always those little nagging how to things about someone else’s device that I just can’t seem to figure out without asking. Of course if you recently purchased an iMac, this is a perfect book to launch you, especially if you’re not a Mac person. This book definitely has plenty to offer anyone who wants to learn about the iMac, especially those who have to have visuals.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20