Profile for D. Fowler > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Fowler RSS Feed
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Classic Accessories 55-313-030401-00 Cover for Built-In Grills, Medium, Black
Classic Accessories 55-313-030401-00 Cover for Built-In Grills, Medium, Black
Price: $24.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Classic is a very well-made barbecue cover that won’t fly off in a gust of wind ..., April 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We live on the western face of a mountain and we often get high winds that tear through the valley scattering everything in sight. I’ve ended up with everything from signs to other tarps in our yard. The tarp went unclaimed and we used in on our barbecue for quite some time until that too left our yard for someone else’s. The Classic cover is very, very well-made and won’t be going anywhere soon. It has many qualities that make it worth taking a look at. We don’t have a built-in, but still can use the cover.

What’s great about it are the two Velcro straps beneath the cover that will secure it to the barbecue. Along the edges the material is elasticized, another factor that will keep it from flying away. If it does, the barbecue will have to go with it because it’s that secure. The cover itself is a thick, sturdy 100% woven polyester with a rubberized lining. This is the type of polyester that I see in backpacks an luggage.

There are even some gussets with small circles that will help keep the Classic cover in place when there are heavy gusts of wind. We do have those and that’s when we sometimes find an odd assortment of things in our yard. The gussets will divert those gusts, keeping them from pulling the cover up into the air. The cover will not only protect the barbecue from the elements, but make it easier to clean.

The cover is water-resistant and very well-sewn and designed. Installation, if you want to call it that, only takes a minute and is intuitive. This is nothing like those cheap, lightweight tarps that blow away, tear, or get holes in them quickly. It would take a long time to get any wear on this tarp from putting it on and off. This is definitely a sturdy, well-made tarp that will protect a barbecue.

Landing Gear Combination Luggage Padlock - Heavy Duty, TSA Airport Security Friendly
Offered by Landing Gear™
Price: $13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars With the up-tick in airport luggage thefts, the Landing Gear padlock is a nice bit of insurance against it ..., April 26, 2015
I don’t travel as much as I used to, but there has been a definite up-tick in the number of thefts. Most TSA and airport employees are totally honest and wouldn’t consider rifling through luggage, but I’ve recently seen videos of people doing just that. The temptation is just a bit too high when unsecured luggage is being loaded into the hold of a plane. The statistics are alarming and because of them I never put anything of value in my luggage.

One thing people don’t realize is even when checking bags in just prior to getting on a plane, they are just as vulnerable to theft. For a while I used a simple tie, but many times I noticed they had been removed. The TSA inspection notice wasn’t always in the bag, something that was rather alarming. Luggage locks are cool, they work, and don’t cost a great deal. I had a friend invest in them years ago, but at the time I thought in was rather silly. Not so after seeing those videos.

The Landing Gear TSA lock is small and is just like insurance, but will last the lifetime of the lock. It’s very easy to set and if the TSA scans and sees something interesting in your bag they want to take a look at they can. The lock is Travel Security Approved, quite sturdy, and easy to use. The directions for setting are on the back of the cardboard insert. It can easily be reset if desired. I’ve copied the directions below so anyone can see just how easy they are to work. Visuals are also given, a real plus in my book.

LANDING GEAR INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Pull the shackle to open the lock.

2. Rotate the shackle 90° counterclockwise and press all the way down. Hold down and continue to turn another 90° counterclockwise.

3. Set your own combination by turning the dials.

4. Turn the shackle as normal. Then the setting is complete.

Sample provided for review.

Classic Accessories 55-399-030401-EC Ravenna Cover for Built-In Grills, Medium, Black
Price: $36.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Classic is a very well-made barbecue cover that won’t fly off in a gust of wind ..., April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One of the problems that we have in this area are high winds that often send everything from toys to an odd assortment of covers flying. One year I ended up with some sort of tarp that we ended up using for our barbecue because no one claimed it. The Classic cover is going nowhere fast and has a lot of great qualities that make it worth while for anyone with a built-in barbecue to invest in. We don’t have a built-in, but still can use the cover.

The Nutro Company Rotations Salmon, Barley and Peas Recipe, 4-Pound
The Nutro Company Rotations Salmon, Barley and Peas Recipe, 4-Pound
Price: $18.98
2 used & new from $18.56

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice well-rounded dog food for the younger dog ..., April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As usual, both of my dogs really love the taste of the Nutro Rotations Salmon & Barley recipe. They do enjoy trying different foods, but I’m learning that changing their foods often isn’t all that good for their digestive systems. One interesting prospect about the Nutro is that fact that I can rotate flavors. They also have Lamb & Potato Recipe as well as Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe. I’m sure that they really don’t care, but I do like to mix things up now and then.

The kibble is large, but my smaller dog doesn’t seem to have issues with it. If I ready the first few ingredients I probably would want to add it to my own diet. I’m not seeing anything that I find offensive, but rather things that I like. I like that salmon is first in the lineup with some whole grains and peas thrown in the mix. For a smaller dog like my Liam, I could justify the expense, but for a much larger one like Storm I’d find it cost prohibitive, unfortunately.

This is for dogs ages 1 - 7, which would make it a well-rounded diet for a younger, more active dog. I do like the 25% crude protein spec, but that would put a strain on the kidneys of an older do. There are directions on the side of the bag that help with a formula for transitioning to the Nutro if I so desire. I definitely like what I see, but will probably use this particular bag (and perhaps others) to use for their daily treats.

INGREDIENTS:

Salmon, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Barley, Whole Grain Rye, Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Salmon Meal, Natural Flavor, Brewers Yeast, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Dried Chicory Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Tomato Pomace, Dried Carrot, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Selenium Yeast, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Bacillus coagulans , Rosemary Extract, Decaffeinated Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude protein: Min. 25%
Crude fat: Min. 14%
Crude fiber: Max. 3.5%
Moisture: Max. 10%

NEW! 2-in-1 Deshedding Tool & Comb Rake - Premium Quality Shedding Brush & Dematting Tool for Dogs & Cats - Gentle, Safe & Harmless to Your Pet's Skin - Effectively Reduce the Shedding Hair & Eliminate Matting - Pet Grooming Brush Recommended by Groomers & Vets - Durable & Easy-to-Clean with Flexible Head Design & Ergonomic Non-Slip Handle - Limited-Time Special Bonus: FREE Downloadable Pet Obedience Training e-Book
Offered by FeschDesign US
Price: $31.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for smaller dogs and cats, protecting their skin with a “buffer design” ..., April 25, 2015
Both of my dogs shed enough fur in the spring to practically fill a canister every time I vacuum. I’ve got a couple of deshedding tools, but this one is quite unusual. What is has is what is called a “buffer design,” something I didn’t notice at first. It lightly bends at a 30° angle, moving with the contours of my dogs. It doesn’t stay in one spot, but rather moved with me as I used the FeschDesign grooming tool.

There’s a 1-3/4” wide blade that makes it very easy to groom my smaller dog. He’s not really thrilled when I try to groom him because most of the deshedding tools have blades that are twice as wide. I was easily able to get under his body without hitting his legs. He can be rather ornery and not appreciative of any assistance, grooming or otherwise. My larger dog adores being groomed and loved both the deshedding and rake sides of the FeschDesign.

There was no need to bear down heavily at all. This isn’t a Furminator, but I don’t need that with the types of breeds I have. I do need to keep both of them groomed and using a two-in-one tool works for me. I have had to put one tool down and pick up another. Not that I mind, but this grooming tool is so much easier to use. In minutes I was able to remove a lot of fur without any irritation.

The handle is a non-slip silicone which is approximately 4-1/2” long, which makes it very easy to work with. I definitely like that “buffer design” because it ensures that I won’t accidentally dig into my dogs’ skin. I’ve used a deshedder on my long-haired cat and find this type of dual-purpose tool a real plus. Easy to work with and certainly doesn’t irritate them.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Dreft Blissful In-Wash Scent Booster Detergent, Original Baby Fresh, 13.2 Ounce
Dreft Blissful In-Wash Scent Booster Detergent, Original Baby Fresh, 13.2 Ounce
Offered by Debs Books and Collectibles
Price: $19.66
4 used & new from $17.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent option for households where one likes fresh smelling laundry and the other needs fragrance-free ..., April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I usually use either pods or detergents that scent or dye free. I seldom use anything that will spruce up the smell of the laundry other than perhaps a bit of essential oil on all-natural dryer balls. My husband is of the generation that likes his laundry to smell clean and fresh and additives don’t matter to him. Just the idea that the Dreft would leave his laundry smelling baby fresh intrigued him.

For me, although I like the smell of the laundry, the smell of the Dreft makes me sneeze. There are no directions on the container, but I suspect that partially filling the cap each time will yield enough for approximately 30 loads of laundry. I used just under a capful in a regular load, sans my clothes, to try it out. The result is almost like a fabric freshener and does make the clothing smell baby powder fresh, something he likes.

If you have a household like mine, with one person who loves fresh smelling laundry while the other prefers (or needs) a fragrance-free load, this scent booster is perfect. It allows me to continue to use the detergent I need to use while separating loads and adding the “in-wash scent booster.” I’m not enamored with it, but the Dreft dissolves well, is compatible with all washers, and has an old-fashioned smell my husband loves.

On Your Knees (Swoop List) (The Swoop List)
On Your Knees (Swoop List) (The Swoop List)
by Stephanie Perry Moore
Price: $8.12
27 used & new from $5.97

5.0 out of 5 stars This is yet another tale about the Swoop girls young readers will love ..., April 25, 2015
Probably everyone at Jackson High had issues, but Willow Dean seemed to have more than most. Well, perhaps she didn’t have any more issues than the other girls who had ended up on the infamous Swoop list. All the girls who were on that list were “considered easy” and when it was posted, the entire school knew about it. They got mad, furious, upset, cried, and didn’t know what to do until Ms. Davis, their guidance counselor, helped them help themselves. The unlikely band of girls, Willow, Olive, Octavia, Pia, and Sanaa began to fight back against “the bullies, haters, and wannabes” who were determined to put them down.

Willow was going to have a slumber party at her house, a great place for them to talk about things and just have fun. It was a great time to bond even further, a bond that was growing deeper with each crisis one of them had. Pia was still emotionally distraught after the abortion, thinking that she was a murderer. Olive had been betrayed by her boyfriend, Tiger, and was somehow having feelings for Charles, her foster brother. They all had issues, but there was a secret the others were keeping from Willow, that “could blow their friendship up” for good.

Being on the dance team had been her life, but once they had discovered that she was fast and loose, they wanted no part of her. No way was Willow being forced out of something she loved by Hillary, who was probably jealous of her in the first place. Sanaa was “calm-spirited” and certainly wasn’t going to tell her and neither would Octavia who was a shy doormat at best. None of the girls wanted to hurt Willow so the fact that there was a petition with a whopping 200 signatures on it demanding she leave the team was a secret that wasn’t going to leak. Harboring a secret was one thing, but when shots rang out in the halls of Jackson High, things would get serious!

This is yet another tale about the Swoop girls young readers will love. Willow, who is a bold and brassy girl, doubts very much that anyone can hurt her with the support of her new-found friends. The support that Sanaa, Olive, Octavia, and Pia have for her is strong, but is rocked by the fact she’s been deceived ... in a good and loving way. In this, the second in “The Swoop List” series, we watch as the group begins to bond and care for one another. The main theme lies in the sentence, “they can label us, but we must embrace the label, swoop in, and clean up our lives.” They, like many young women, need to learn to change their own thinking, begin to believe in themselve, and move forward. This is a very short tale that will appeal to the reluctant reader, but also one that can be a read and discuss one in a classroom setting.

THE SWOOP LIST

#1 Give it Up
#2 On Your Knees
#3 Back That Thing
#4 Feel Real Good
#5 Sit on Top

This book courtesy of the publisher.

Eagle Creek Travel Gear Pack-It Cube Set, Blue Sea, One Size
Eagle Creek Travel Gear Pack-It Cube Set, Blue Sea, One Size
Price: $26.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well-made, totally practical cube packing system for those smaller items ..., April 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ever since I’ve used packing cubes, I’ve been able to minimize the disaster I have in my suitcase. I always threw in everything here and there rather than packing carefully. Wherever it would fit, it went. This Pack It system cube set is especially perfect for the smaller items that need to be packed. For example, my socks and underwear don’t take up a huge amount of space. Neither do my smaller items such as toothpaste, shampoo, and dental floss.

These bags, unlike my other ones, actually have easy-grab handles. The Eagle Creek Pack-It bags are made of a sturdy lined nylon that with a mesh opening that makes the bag breathable. The zipper goes around three sides, making the packing cubes easy to open, fill or empty. These don’t necessarily have to be used solely as travel packs. I can think of many uses for each type of bag. The smaller ones could easily be used by children to store things like games or toys. Several of those small Blue Orange games would fit in the medium-sized tote.

I’ve had packing cubes before and no, they are not just for clothing or toiletries. Books, electronics, snacks, and anything I usually toss in my bag will fit. One thing I have been doing since I’ve had cubes is roll my clothing. I can fit more and the clothes don’t wrinkle as much. There are suggestions online as to what to take for three-, five-, and ten-day trips. I always say I don’t have one of the Dugger girls on hand to set up a bag for me, so if I’m going on a short trip I need the help. I never know quite what to take and I tend to over-pack quite frequently. Maybe every time I pack a suitcase.

These three assorted bags have a lot of eye appeal as well. They are certainly well-made with nary a thread out of place. They aren’t as beautiful as my other cubes, but certainly practical and distinctive. When I show up at my destination, I can simply take each bag out and place them in a drawer like I do the others. Take along a large Ziplock to put the dirty socks and underwear back in. Great set for the smaller items or, as I mentioned, books, electronics, or things like games.

Molla MO78001 Molla Home Picture Hook Set, 108 Pieces, White and Gold
Molla MO78001 Molla Home Picture Hook Set, 108 Pieces, White and Gold
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice picture hanger hook assortment that includes cinder block / hard wall anchor hooks ..., April 23, 2015
I’m way into having odd assortments of thing like this picture hook hanger set. Any time I want to hang a picture I have to sort through several drawers in my workshop to find something I can use. One interesting addition was a nice assortment of hard wall or cinder block anchor hooks that can be used on concrete, cinder blocks,hardwoods, soft bricks, etc. These aren’t the type that you’d normally use on your drywall because they simply will fall out. Very pleased to see these included.

The other hoods and nails are the standard types we’re all used to seeing, ones that we always seem to need a few of. Leastways I’m usually scouting one or two out when I need to hang something. These picture hangers can hang an assortment of weights from 25 to 40 pounds. I do like the plastic case which snaps shut and can be hung or placed on a shelf.

WHAT’S IN THE BOX:

8 pc hooks with nails 124mm (5”)
16 pc picture hooks 30mm (1-1’4”)
20 pc picture hangers bp 25lb (30mm) (1.2”)
6 pc picture hangers bp 40lb (32mm) (1.3”)
50 pc oval nails bp 25mm (1”)
8 pc oval nails bp 40mm (1-1/2”)

Comment Comment | Permalink

Pull-Ups Training Pants with Cool and Learn for Girls, 56 Count
Pull-Ups Training Pants with Cool and Learn for Girls, 56 Count
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice jump start solution to get toddlers to transition to regular underwear and potty training .., April 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It’s a real plus to open the box and see Doc McStuffins peering out from the box. Little Heidi adores Doc and will check out your blood pressure or check that heart continually if she’s allowed. I like the idea of the cool strip, but like the idea that the Pull-Ups with “real” Disney characters like Doc and Sophia on them. It’s a much larger incentive to be a big girl than than simply removing a diaper when using the potty.

The best aspect about the Pull-Ups are the fact that they have “Easy Open” sides. The cool strip alert will remind Heidi to use the potty as she transitions to using regular panties as opposed to diapers. She’s a tall, larger two-year-old, but the sizing is tricky and I’ll have to go down one size.

Sizing:

Size 2T-3T (74 count) for 18-34 lbs.
Size 3T-4T (66 count) for 32-40 lbs.
Size 4T-5T (56 count) for 38-50 lbs.

FEATURES:

► Potty training pants with an underwear-like waistband helps toddlers learn how to pull them on and off, and they have easy-open sides just in case
► Different than regular diapers, these potty training diapers turn cool when wet to help your toddler learn to stay dry
► Features characters from Disney’s Doc McStuffins and Sophia
► Provides protection where girls need it most for maximum absorbency in potty training underwear

These do leak overnight (it’s a given) because they aren’t meant to hold an excess amount of liquid. The best solution for the overnight problem is to invest in some diapers for bed wetters, a diaper that’s intended to hold more fluid. A nice jump start solution to get toddlers to transition to regular underwear and potty training.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20