Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Eolake > Reviews

Browse

Eolake's Profile

Customer Reviews: 184

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eolake "eolake (.com)" RSS Feed (Lancashire, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
CINDER By Cupert Technology. Curved Edge 0.20mm Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus, Black

2.0 out of 5 stars I must be dumb, my attempt went all to heck., October 9, 2015
I saw three glowing reviews on YouTube. I don't know what magic fingers those guys have, but I'd love to have them.

Firstly: the Cinder is *very* fragile. It really should be written in large letters on the packaging, but nothing is written. I managed to break it within one minute after taking it out. And I'm generally a very careful guy.

The crack was just in a corner though (in the beginning), so I installed it. What a mess! The alcohol cloth could not clean my iphone 6+. Not at all. I had to use the stuff I have for my glasses. And then, no matter what I did, air bubbles and mess all over the place, it looks awful.

Now it turns out it is *not* Gorillaglas after all. And the price has gone up to $44. Not gonna pay that.

The photo does not show an iPhone which has been run over by a truck. I just took it, and it shows my perfect phone with the Cinder installed.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2015 1:45 AM PDT

Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB (Previous Generation - 3rd)
Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB (Previous Generation - 3rd)
4 used & new from $162.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Where did generation Four go? (If there was one), August 29, 2015
This is a very nice tablet. But it's generation three, and so far as I can see, you no longer can buy gen 4, if that ever existed.
What's happening? It's quite confusing, was there even a gen 4? I can't find it anywhere. But if not, why does the top of this page say "Previous Generation - 3rd" ?

In any case, it was not updated along with the 8.9 model in 2014, it's soon two years since it has been updated. I sure hope it'll be picked up again! (And become smaller and lighter, it's the only advantages fire HD6 has over it, and they are *very* nice to have, make a big difference in comfort.)

TFY Padded Hand-Strap plus Hook & Loop Fastening Tape Adhesive Patch - DIY Detachable Hand-Strap for Smartphone, Tablet PC and More - iPhones - Samsung Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge - iPad Pro 9.7" - ipad Mini - iPad Air / Air 2 -iPad 2 / 3 / 4 - Kindle Fire 7" (2015 Version) - Fire HD 8"(2015 Version) - Fire HD 10" (2015 Version) and Other Tablet PCs
Offered by MyTradeWorld
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't seen anything like it, July 22, 2015
Other straps for iPad/tablets I have see have been thin and elastic, of doubtful benefit. This one is broad, and very soft inside, very comfortable, gives a great grip.
Here's a tip: place the strap to side of the tablet/ereader. That way you can hold it with one hand, while putting your thumb in front of the tablet, to change pages when you read!

Tomorrow: Speculative Fiction Magazine, Volume 1 Number 2
Tomorrow: Speculative Fiction Magazine, Volume 1 Number 2
by Algis and Valerie J Freireich, Robert Reed, Susan Blom, William Scarff, Chloe Bolan, Georffrey Landis, Eolake Stobblehouse Budrys
3 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A little known gem, June 21, 2015
Algis Budrys was an outstanding writer, and at least as good as a critic, and as an editor. It was in the last role that he participated in creating Tomorrow - Speculative Fiction magazine. It was a fresh magazine, which had an unusual mix of big names and unknowns, gems which he found.

Black Rapid Yeti Dual Camera Sling Strap
Black Rapid Yeti Dual Camera Sling Strap
Offered by Photo Savings
Price: $99.95
104 used & new from $90.00

5.0 out of 5 stars BlackRapid Yeti, the Rolls Royce of camera straps?, June 21, 2015
Camera straps are one of those things which have hardly changed since the birth of cameras. It's just a simple strap which goes up to your shoulder. Okay, now they are wider and made of ballistic nylon, and long ago they were leather. I have a pre-war Rolleiflex double-lens reflex camera with its original strap, it's leather and I can't believe how narrow it is (and how worn). Must be around a centimeter, under half an inch. But the camera is clearly very used indeed, so it seems the strap has held for over half a century.

About seven years ago, I found a one-man company who made a strap called the Y-strap. Unfortunately he has since closed shop. The brilliance of that strap was mostly in the simple idea that you put in on the shoulder opposite the camera, so it wouldn't slide off, and secondly that the camera was mounted in such a way that it would slide on the strap, so in less than a second you could grab it down by your hip and swing it up and fire.

This excellent idea has fortunately been continued by a bigger company called BlackRapid. They make several models (admittedly some of them seem to push the raîson d'etre thing a little), and they are all based on the same idea as the Y-strap. But they have added several features, most importantly a big, comfy stretch of padding which rests on your shoulder, so even with a heavy camera and long hours, the risk of discomfort is minimized.

I've bought two: the Yeti, which can carry one or two cameras (one on each side of the body), and the Metro, which is the "compact model" for minimal space use when traveling. I am just trying out the Metro (which of course has the smallest shoulder pad), and even with my heaviest camera and heaviest lens, it feels very comfortable. Of course I can't yet vouch for how it will feel carrying it for five hours, but I can say that it does not at all feel like I'm carrying the heaviest gear I have. And that's just with the most compact strap, so that induces trust.

I found out about this strap from a video on Luminous landscape, and it was mentioned that many of the photographers on their long-range camera expedition were using BlackRapid straps, so clearly the word-of-mouth recommendations are strong.

------
Note: BlackRapid likes to mount the strap via the tripod thread. But if it fits you better, you can also use either side strap mount, though you may have to use a keyring-ring as go-between.
Note 2: Some Amazon reviews complain about the prices, but I think those are people who haven't tried them yet. The Metro I think has a quite fair price ($39). The Yeti costs quite a lot more ($99), but when you pack it out: man, it's impressive. That is solid gear, I think you really get a lot for your money. (Of course it's about equivalent of two good straps, plus extras to secure it around the shoulder, I guess in case you're photographing from a plane doing stunts...)
Also the steel bits are kewl. They seem like they could lift a car (I wouldn't be surprised), and they are even nice to look at, with semi-black anodization (similar to Apple's "Space Grey").
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2015 2:09 AM PDT

BlackRapid RS10SC-1AO Metro Camera Strap (Black)
BlackRapid RS10SC-1AO Metro Camera Strap (Black)
Offered by Calumet
Price: $39.95
122 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars BlackRapid Metro camera strap review, June 21, 2015

Anker HB005 Built-in Lithium Battery Aluminum Keyboard for iOS, Windows and Android 3.0 and Above
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $59.99
4 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I am amazed that they sell this keyboard for such a low ..., July 19, 2014
I am amazed that they sell this keyboard for such a low price, about $25. The Amazon Basics keyboard is 50% more, and that one is all plastic, it does not have the same nice feel that the Anker has.

In fact the Anker is a beautiful product, especially for the price, and I think I'd have liked it even at twice the price. The keys are just plastic, but the back is a beautiful sheet of aluminium, and the top and edges are some hard-rubber like material with a pleasant feel.

For me personally, the only downside is that it is only *almost* full sized. It is about one key-width smaller. Admittedly even with my manly large hands, I can still touch-type, but I think that when a keyboard is *almost* full sized, it would have been better to simply *make* it full sized and avoid the compromises*. One compromise, aside from the slight crampedness, is that in order to fit the arrow keys, they have moved the right shift key a step to the right, which takes some getting used to. But I suspect that once I have gotten used to it, I will be able to type on this at about full speed. I'm pretty close to it already, in the first hour, only hampered a bit by having to correct the typos caused by the slight differences from my usual keyboards.

But yes, it really is a beautiful little object, and I like it. It was a delightful surprise when unpacking it, to see how small and light and nice it really was.

And surprisingly, despite it being only 4 milimeters thick, the keys have a very nice feel to them. They are not spongy like almost all economical keyboards, they even have some "clickiness" to them, which I love and feel contributes to the ease of touch-typing by a mile. And it only weighs 160 grams, which is really nice for the wandering writer. The key feel is only beaten (amongst portable keyboards) by the wonderful, but bigger Logitech Wired Keyboard for iPad (not as pretty but amazing key feel).

I will normally take the Logitech if I'm determined to write, but if it's less critical and I'd like to save even more space and weight, I have a suspicion that the Anker will be my go-to guy. This plus the iPad Mini are under 500 grams (about one American pound)! and are a very capable writing station. (Plus of course the myriad other things an iPad can do.) And together they fit in a very small bag indeed. (The Anker is a bit longer than the Mini, but that's good for touch-typists.)

Conclusion: At the price and for those who wants a compact and super-light keyboard for the bag, I warmly recommend this gem.

Flexible LED Magnifier Desk Lamp for Books, Ebook Readers, Nook, Sony Digital Reader
Offered by everydayspecial
Price: $88.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It has a nice, slim, July 19, 2014
This is doing duty on my night stand, normally turned to the wall, as I read on an iPad.

It has a nice, slim, understated presence.
It's cheap in electricity.

And the magnifier is great for reading small print.

It is also nice it has three levels.
One downside: I may have preferred a physical button, rather than the Touch button. It often takes me a couple tries to hit the right place to turn the lamp on.

Overall, the best, and best-looking of the kind I've had.

Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f1.8 (Silver) Lens for Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3 Cameras
Price: Click here to see our price
21 used & new from $190.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing grace, January 14, 2014
A spectacular lens in an unbelievably small, light, and affordable package. One of the best portrait lenses around. Don't miss it.

Logitech Wired Keyboard with Lightning Connector for iPad 4/iPad Air/iPad mini/ iPad mini with retina display
Offered by Chainspell's Store
Price: $64.99
6 used & new from $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful clickiness..., January 14, 2014
It is excellent. In fact, if I had to pick right now, I think it's my favorite of portable keyboards I have tried.
It's nice that you don't have to fumble with Bluetooth, which I find unreliable (like I find all wireless technologies).

I wondered why the bottom of the keyboard is neon green (!). But when I saw that it is mean primarily for classrooms, that was explained.
My top favorite sort-of-portable keyboard is on the Alphasmart Neo. That in fact is a fantastic keyboard.
So I guess we can conclude that when companies build for young students, they make better keyboards. I think it is because they are then not afraid to make the device a bit thicker than is the vogue these days. Like the fashion industry, they are endangering the functions of the models by squeezing them thinner and thinner.

The Logitech is *almost exactly* the size of Apple's portable Bluetooth keyboard. The keys are the same size. It is a few milimeters wider and thicker. And it is 25 grams lighter. In fact it weighs only 300 grams (10.6oz), like the iPad Mini. Nice. And while the Apple keyboard is a good keyboard (and looks great), this one has a deeper travel, which I like.

This means they had the space to make the keys more "clicky", meaning they give a slight sound (it's pretty quiet though), and you can *feel* when the key activates. This is, for many typists, very important for comfortable and speedy typing, and it's the first portable keyboard I've had that I could say this about. (That's the main reason I've bought so many!)
Of course it's not as "clicky" as the top-shelf keyboards like the DAS Keyboard or the Matias Tactile Pro, but it's much better than other portables I've tried.

Because of the Lightning connector, it does not work with Android devices or early iPads. It only works with iPads with the Lightning Connector, Like iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Mini. And new iPhones! (But they also have one with the older wide plug.)

In fact, just because it was to hand, I'm typing this review on my iPhone 5s. The screen and the max font size (of this app, My Writing Nook) are a bit small, but it works. (Other apps may have bigger fonts, and hopefully soon Apple will see the light and make a BIGGER PHONE. (Did you hear that, Apple?) Peter, who made the app, says it may get a bigger max font. All bearing in mind that an iPad is better.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19