Profile for Eolake > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 178

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eolake "eolake (.com)" RSS Feed (Lancashire, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Anker® Bluetooth Ultra-Slim (4mm) Aluminum Keyboard for iOS (iPad Air 2 / Air, iPad mini 3 / mini 2 / mini, iPad 4 / 3 / 2), Windows and Android 3.0 and above OS with Built-in lithium battery / Aluminum Body T320
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $59.99
8 used & new from $19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I am amazed that they sell this keyboard for such a low ..., July 19, 2014
I am amazed that they sell this keyboard for such a low price, about $25. The Amazon Basics keyboard is 50% more, and that one is all plastic, it does not have the same nice feel that the Anker has.

In fact the Anker is a beautiful product, especially for the price, and I think I'd have liked it even at twice the price. The keys are just plastic, but the back is a beautiful sheet of aluminium, and the top and edges are some hard-rubber like material with a pleasant feel.

For me personally, the only downside is that it is only *almost* full sized. It is about one key-width smaller. Admittedly even with my manly large hands, I can still touch-type, but I think that when a keyboard is *almost* full sized, it would have been better to simply *make* it full sized and avoid the compromises*. One compromise, aside from the slight crampedness, is that in order to fit the arrow keys, they have moved the right shift key a step to the right, which takes some getting used to. But I suspect that once I have gotten used to it, I will be able to type on this at about full speed. I'm pretty close to it already, in the first hour, only hampered a bit by having to correct the typos caused by the slight differences from my usual keyboards.

But yes, it really is a beautiful little object, and I like it. It was a delightful surprise when unpacking it, to see how small and light and nice it really was.

And surprisingly, despite it being only 4 milimeters thick, the keys have a very nice feel to them. They are not spongy like almost all economical keyboards, they even have some "clickiness" to them, which I love and feel contributes to the ease of touch-typing by a mile. And it only weighs 160 grams, which is really nice for the wandering writer. The key feel is only beaten (amongst portable keyboards) by the wonderful, but bigger Logitech Wired Keyboard for iPad (not as pretty but amazing key feel).

I will normally take the Logitech if I'm determined to write, but if it's less critical and I'd like to save even more space and weight, I have a suspicion that the Anker will be my go-to guy. This plus the iPad Mini are under 500 grams (about one American pound)! and are a very capable writing station. (Plus of course the myriad other things an iPad can do.) And together they fit in a very small bag indeed. (The Anker is a bit longer than the Mini, but that's good for touch-typists.)

Conclusion: At the price and for those who wants a compact and super-light keyboard for the bag, I warmly recommend this gem.

Flexible LED Magnifier Desk Lamp for Books, Ebook Readers, Nook, Sony Digital Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars It has a nice, slim, July 19, 2014
This is doing duty on my night stand, normally turned to the wall, as I read on an iPad.

It has a nice, slim, understated presence.
It's cheap in electricity.

And the magnifier is great for reading small print.

It is also nice it has three levels.
One downside: I may have preferred a physical button, rather than the Touch button. It often takes me a couple tries to hit the right place to turn the lamp on.

Overall, the best, and best-looking of the kind I've had.

Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f1.8 (Silver) Lens for Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3 Cameras
Price: Click here to see our price
30 used & new from $245.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing grace, January 14, 2014
A spectacular lens in an unbelievably small, light, and affordable package. One of the best portrait lenses around. Don't miss it.

Logitech Wired Keyboard with Lightning Connector for iPad 4/iPad Air/iPad mini/ iPad mini with retina display
Offered by Sean's i-Deals
Price: $69.99
12 used & new from $36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful clickiness..., January 14, 2014
It is excellent. In fact, if I had to pick right now, I think it's my favorite of portable keyboards I have tried.
It's nice that you don't have to fumble with Bluetooth, which I find unreliable (like I find all wireless technologies).

I wondered why the bottom of the keyboard is neon green (!). But when I saw that it is mean primarily for classrooms, that was explained.
My top favorite sort-of-portable keyboard is on the Alphasmart Neo. That in fact is a fantastic keyboard.
So I guess we can conclude that when companies build for young students, they make better keyboards. I think it is because they are then not afraid to make the device a bit thicker than is the vogue these days. Like the fashion industry, they are endangering the functions of the models by squeezing them thinner and thinner.

The Logitech is *almost exactly* the size of Apple's portable Bluetooth keyboard. The keys are the same size. It is a few milimeters wider and thicker. And it is 25 grams lighter. In fact it weighs only 300 grams (10.6oz), like the iPad Mini. Nice. And while the Apple keyboard is a good keyboard (and looks great), this one has a deeper travel, which I like.

This means they had the space to make the keys more "clicky", meaning they give a slight sound (it's pretty quiet though), and you can *feel* when the key activates. This is, for many typists, very important for comfortable and speedy typing, and it's the first portable keyboard I've had that I could say this about. (That's the main reason I've bought so many!)
Of course it's not as "clicky" as the top-shelf keyboards like the DAS Keyboard or the Matias Tactile Pro, but it's much better than other portables I've tried.

Because of the Lightning connector, it does not work with Android devices or early iPads. It only works with iPads with the Lightning Connector, Like iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Mini. And new iPhones! (But they also have one with the older wide plug.)

In fact, just because it was to hand, I'm typing this review on my iPhone 5s. The screen and the max font size (of this app, My Writing Nook) are a bit small, but it works. (Other apps may have bigger fonts, and hopefully soon Apple will see the light and make a BIGGER PHONE. (Did you hear that, Apple?) Peter, who made the app, says it may get a bigger max font. All bearing in mind that an iPad is better.)

Despicable Me 2
Despicable Me 2
DVD ~ Steve Carell
Price: $13.99
47 used & new from $8.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good., December 1, 2013
This review is from: Despicable Me 2 (DVD)
I could write a long review about all the things I find brilliant about that movie. But I'm sure there are already hundreds of good reviews doing that. So I'll just say: if you like computer-animated comedies, you'll love this. Get it. (If you can display 3D, even better, movies like this are made for it.)

One of the telling aspects of a great animated film is the LIGHT. And DM2 has it in spades.

By the way, I think they make a little mistake by featuring basically only the Minions on covers and such. I feared that the other characters, for example the girls, would take a secondary place to them. Fortunately this is not true, it has a full character gallery, all used well.

One of the best new characters is Lucy Wilde, agent of the Anti-Villain League. This adorable redhead is a mess of delightful contradictions: She is bubbly, inventive, tough and super-resourceful, a bit bashful, clumsy, slightly sadistic and yet loving, and a martial-arts master.

Mack's Ultra Safe Sound Earplugs (10 pair)
Mack's Ultra Safe Sound Earplugs (10 pair)
Offered by BIGFLYSPORTS
Price: $4.77
13 used & new from $2.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than normal, August 3, 2013
I normally use Mack's Safesound plugs. But recently I bought the "Ultra" earplugs just for a laugh, because in this world, when they say New And Improved, it's usually not so much.

So last night a neighbor played music louder than usual, and I put in my usual plugs. But as it turned out, at this volume they could only handle most of it, not all of it. I was still distracted.

So I thought, hey, this is the perfect chance to test my new "Ultra" plugs. So I did. And lo and behold! They were better! Music... gone!
(In the spirit of my slightly OCD sense of accuracy, it was 99.5% gone. So, 'virtually gone', good enough for me.)

I also tested it with the indoor air con unit in my bedroom: same thing. The normal plugs had never been able to handle all of it. But the new ones: (virtually) gone! Way kewl.

The Tick Vs. Season 2
The Tick Vs. Season 2
DVD ~ Kay Lenz
Price: $19.99
11 used & new from $18.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff., July 20, 2013
This review is from: The Tick Vs. Season 2 (DVD)
Not quite as good and funny as the live show, but still one of the best superhero cartoons I've seen, if you like them quirky.

Panasonic Lumix G Vario  14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens (Black)
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens (Black)
Price: $527.99
9 used & new from $479.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A class of its own?, July 5, 2013
Somehow I got lucky and got this lens fast, while it seems it's much delayed for others.
I had its predecessor, the 14-140mm F:4.0 lens. I really liked it. Before, I'd used a Nikon 10X zoom and a Pentax 10X zoom. Those are both good lens-makers, so I was disappointed that the Nikkor was soft in the edges at the long end, and the Pentax was really blurred in the edges at the short end. And I was very pleased that this Pana lens didn't have any such obvious flaws. Obviously a 10X zoom is not quite as sharp as the best prime lenses, but I'm always pleased with my results and would not hesitate to use them in exhibitions. It has great contrast and color rendition, and the sharpness leaves nothing to be desired in my view.

The new version (F:3.5) in short: It's a centimeter shorter, a bit slimmer, a bit faster, and *40% lighter*! And it keeps the same image quality. This is almost miraculous.

In other words, put it on a good, recent Micro-Four-Thirds camera (I have both Panasonic and Olympus (including the OM-D), currently I use the E-PL5 most, and you have a very light-weight, but still really high-quality kit, with a zoom range which covers everything I normally encounter, and which is very fast reacting for street-photography. (The touch-to-focus-and-shoot is great for this.) (Oh, and the E-PL5 has beautiful quality even at ISO 6,400!)

For an all-round, compact, flexible kit, I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything better than this.

(Tip: if you use it on an Olympus camera, for this lens, turn off the in-body IS and use the OIS on the lens. At least this is best with the E-PL5, it's possible the 5-way IS of the OM-D and E-P5 is better at handling this long zoom range.)
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2014 9:42 PM PDT

Delphi Complete Works of L. M. Montgomery with the Complete Anne of Green Gables Books (Illustrated)

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding writer, April 4, 2013
It's a mistake to think that LM Montgomery's books are just for young girls, or even "for children and women". LM Montgomery's books *far* transcends their genre. Sure, they are sweet and romantic, but they have much more than that. Montgomery was a divinely blessed writer, in my opinion. Her characters are fabulous, always memorable but never caricatured. The stories are gripping.

Her writing is deceptively simple, meaning more complex than they seem. She writes to her audience without writing down to them. And I have no doubt whatsoever that she, had she wanted, could have written as complex and "literary" books as *any* writer. Her intelligence and education is never put in the foreground, but if you care, you can sense it in the background, a looming big machine which drives everything under these "innocent little" stories.

And the same is true of her humor. She never writes comedy as such, and yet the humor is everywhere, and the books (all of them) are often wonderfully funny.

I am male, and fifty, and like Mark Twain did, I warmly recommend these books. (Not the least the Anne books, but the same goes for her Emily series, though they are a notch darker than the Anne books.)

This collection is a fantastic deal.

Anne of Green Gables
Anne of Green Gables
by L.M. Montgomery
Price: $6.83
45 used & new from $0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for children! Funny and wonderful, April 4, 2013
This review is from: Anne of Green Gables (Paperback)
It's a mistake to think that the Anne Shirley books are just for young girls, or even "for children and women". LM Montgomery's books *far* transcends their genre. Sure, they are sweet and romantic, but they have much more than that. Montgomery was a divinely blessed writer, in my opinion. Her characters are fabulous, always memorable but never caricatured. The stories are gripping.

I am male, and fifty, and like Mark Twain did, I warmly recommend these books. (The same goes for her Emily series, though they are a notch darker than the Anne books.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18