Profile for Bryan Cass > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1972

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bryan Cass "Bee Ry Boogy" RSS Feed (Victor, NY USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Brainwavz AP001 Portable Headphone Amplifier
Brainwavz AP001 Portable Headphone Amplifier
Price: $26.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little headphone amp, December 11, 2014
I was given this item by the manufacturer to test and review.

This AP001 portable headphone amp is a basic, entry-level amp similar to the FiiO E6 Fujiyama Portable Headphone Amplifier - Black. You charge it via its supplied USB connector for about 2 hours or less, and get about 12 hours of use before recharging. I have never used a headphone amp before, so I did a little research on it. Generally, small, portable, devices like cell phones and MP3 players put out a enough current and voltage to drive earbuds without an amp. However, if you want to use larger headphones (cans), they will likely sound much better (and some even require) when used with a headphone amp. If your portable player has a "Line Out" jack, use that with the amp; otherwise just use the headphone jack. This AP001 amp will boost the sound level by 120% as well as boost the bass. I found it worked fine with both my earbuds and with a few pairs of headphones I have, especially my Sony MDR-V6 headphones that sound pretty bad when used with my iPod. This amp brought them to life with the portable devices.

There are some cases where you do not need or want to use a headphone amp. If you have noise-cancelling headphones, they already have an amp in them so you don't need an external one. And as I said, earbuds are generally efficient enough so that an amp is not needed with them.

The AP001 serves as both a splitter and amp, so you can run two sets of headphones from one source. There is a slot to wrap your extra headphone cord around it. It has an orange "charging" LED and a blue "In Use" LED. One thing I would like to see with this is some instructions (there are none) or at least a sheet that explains what to use it with/for. Another is that I would have liked a way to turn off the bass boost and just get an unaltered, boosted signal.

PlayStation Silver Wired Stereo Headset
PlayStation Silver Wired Stereo Headset
Price: $52.49
30 used & new from $50.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Ouch., December 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, the fit then I'll get into sound quality: Tight and uncomfortable. There really is not much adjustment in these headphones. The earcups swivel slightly, and they move up and down 9 notches. But the headband is *tight* and not well padded. The top of it began to feel tight after about 10 mins. The earcups are covered with a textured cloth and is somewhat rough. After 10-20 mins, my ears felt compressed and hurt from the cloth texture.

The boom mic is a flexible plastic, which may be OK if you are rough with it, but it seems cheap. I do like having just one cord out of the left earcup to deal with, and the control box on the cord is handy to change volume or mix between game sounds and chat.

Sound quality is just average. It's nice to have 7.1 sound in a set of headphones, yes. But comparing the *quality* of the sound with my favorite earbuds (the Brainwavz S1 In Ear Noise Isolating Headphones), the Sony headphones fall way short. They may be OK for gaming and chat, but forget using them for hi-fi music, as a lot of top-end is muffled or missing.

So the discomfort and the so-so sound quality have me looking elsewhere for a better set of gaming headphones. I did review some other gaming headsets, although not specifically for the Playstation like this one: the Sennheiser X320 Xbox Headset (RCA to TV connectors) and the SteelSeries Spectrum 5xB Gaming Headset for Xbox 360 (Black) and Turtle Beach Ear Force X42 Wireless Dolby Surround Sound Gaming Headset.

Pulse Solo Dimmable LED Light with Dual Channel Bluetooth Speakers
Pulse Solo Dimmable LED Light with Dual Channel Bluetooth Speakers
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique but useful concept, December 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A light bulb with speakers... ok. I had to try this out when I saw it. It's simply a combination of two existing products, a LED bulb and small bluetooth speakers. The light is 9.5W and puts out about 550 lumens of 2700K (warm white) light. The light is projected out the top of the bulb. When running both the light and speakers, it consumes only 12.5W -- so that's pretty efficient. There are two 1" speakers pointed in opposite directions, putting out 3W at 8ohms, with a range of 260Hz-18KHz.

In use, the light really does better in an overhead or an uplight fixture, and does fit into the same fixture as a BR30 or PAR30 floodlight bulb. You cannot put this bulb into a dimmable fixture though - it must be 'all-on' or off. You can still use the bulb in a table lamp, and it just barely fit into the harp of my lamp. The light, however, is dimmable by using the Sengled app on your smart device, which works in Android 4.3 or later and iOS 7.0 or later.

The speakers are just OK... with a range of only 260Hz-18KHz, you are not going to get any bass at all. It kind of sounds like the overhead speakers you hear in stores, although it does sound in stereo. But the stereo separation is small because the speakers are so close together and are surrounded by the lighting fixture. For background music around the house though, they do sound good enough. A feature of the app is that you can control more than one speaker/bulb from the app, so you could have multiple sound locations throughout the house with different levels of light and sound. The Bluetooth range of the bulb is about 5-10 meters.

A couple caveats -- obviously you have to have the light socket "on" to hear the music, even if you dim the light down to 0 with the app. Also, you can get into competing bluetooth devices if more than one in the house tries to pair with the bulb. Finding which device has it 'locked' can be a pain. One thing we thought of while testing it -- it would be cool for the app to be able to 'talk' to other bluetooth devices in the area, so that the you could have one app with control of the speaker, but multiple devices could "vote" on the paired device's song list being played so that the most votes would cause that song to be played next. That would be a good app for parties.

Brainwavz HM9 Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Headphones
Brainwavz HM9 Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Headphones
Price: $119.50
3 used & new from $100.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, warm sound; nice bass, December 7, 2014
I received these headphones from the manufacturer for testing and review.

I have tried many of the Brainwavz earphones/buds. My favorite for clear, warm, precise sound is the Brainwavz S1 In Ear Noise Isolating Headphones. I have not yet found a pair of headphones or earbuds that beat the great sound that those produce, and I have tried over 20 pairs of earphones from about 10 different manufacturers including J2, Sennheiser, Altec Lansing, Ultimate Ears, Mythro, iSport, Skull Candy and Sony -- many of them I have reviewed here on Amazon.

After trying these HM9 with a variety of music and spoken tracks, for overall sound quality the S1s are still my favorite. The HM9 came close in warmth and punchy bass. But the S1s still have a quality in the vocal sound spectrum and above that is just clear and precise. For example, on The Eagles song Take It Easy, there is a tambourine playing along with the drum set. With the HM9 (and I also compared with the Brainwavz HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones and with my go-to headphones, the Sony MDRV6 Studio Monitor Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil), the tambourine sound blends with the high hat so that it is hard to distinguish the two sounds. But with the S1s, I could pick out the tambourine sound easier - that's what I mean by "precise." It may just be that a speaker inside your ear canal can be more precise than one outside your ear, I don't know.

Of course, the larger driver in over-the-ear phones can deal with lower and louder bass, and that's where these HM9s can beat the S1s. I always test earphones and speakers with NO equalizer enhancement, so the sound should be what is on the CD/WAV/MP3. Now if you adjusted your equalizer, I think you can get a very clear, pleasing sound out of these HM9s. I would boost the range from about 750Hz and higher to your liking.

Apart from the sound quality, the ear pads fit on top of your ears, and are very comfortable, as is the padded headband as well. They did not feel heavy and did not press too hard on my ears. The ear pads do seal out most outside sounds, although I was able to play my alto sax along with some music and could hear it OK with the music turned down. The only complaint I have is that these do not come with a 1/4" phono plug adapter, but I have several so it's not a problem. The HM9 beats both the HM5 and the Sony MDR-V6 for sound quality and comfort. So, thumbs up on these headphones!

AYL® Silicone Heat Resistant Grilling BBQ Gloves Set: #1 Best Value ★ Perfect For Use As Cooking Gloves, Baking, Smoking, Or Potholder ★ For Use on Hot Food in High Temperature In The Kitchen, Use As Grilling Gloves, Oven Gloves, Or Even Camping! ★ Protect Your Hands And Avoid Accidents With Insulated Waterproof Five Fingered Grip ★ Far More Protection And Easier to Use Than Oven Mittens!
Offered by Accessorise Your Life
Price: $54.99
2 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars They're OK, but don't throw out your oven mitts yet, December 7, 2014
I was given these gloves by the seller to try out and to review. They are like a very thick, rubbery material. The inner surface is smooth and the outer surface has a bumpy texture. I found the gloves somewhat difficult to slip on, especially if your hands are wet or sweaty. The smooth surface on the inside tends to 'grab' your wet skin. I think an inner cloth liner or possibly just some kind of non-smooth inside surface would work well to relieve that. The gloves are somewhat stiff and feel clumsy when trying to handle the edges of pans or baking sheets.

They do work as far as heat resistance, although I did a simple test with them vs. my cloth oven mitts. I heated my 1/8" pizza steel to 350F and took it out of the oven. Then I place my palm with the Silicone glove directly on the hot steel. I could hold my hand there for about 20 seconds before it became too hot. I then did the same thing but wearing an oven mitt. I could hold my palm to the steel for about 40 seconds before it became too hot. So the oven mitt definitely worked better at resisting the heat for longer. One thing I'll say about the silicone though... if you have ever got a cloth oven mitt wet and then picked up something hot, the steam created inside the glove can really burn you, whereas the silicone mitt will not have that problem. Also, if there is open flame, the oven mitt would burn and the silicone will not.

Another thing I tried, as suggested on the package, is to open a sticky jar lid with the gloves on. But I didn't find it worked any better than bare hands - the silicone did not 'grab' the lid or jar like I thought it would.

So these gloves may work well for outdoor use in the elements, but I don't see much advantage over cheap oven mitts for indoors.

Cat's Pride Fresh and Light Fragrance Free Premium Clumping Cat Litter Box, 21-Pound
Price: $20.69
4 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, no smell, no scent., November 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This cat litter works great. It has a smaller size granule than the store-brand clumping litter that I use has. By volume, this litter is indeed lighter than the store-brand as well. It clumps well and there is no odor, nor is there any obnoxious fragrance either. I think this combination makes for the perfect litter -- it doesn't make its presence known unless you are cleaning it out.

NutriGold Whole-Food Men's Multi Gold - 90 Veggie Capsules - A Whole-Food Multivitamin Supplement with Minerals and Co-Factors (Superior Absorption, Food-Based, Zero Synthetic Vitamin Isolates, No Metallic Aftertaste)
Offered by BuyHerbs
Price: $27.99
2 used & new from $27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good multivitamin for the price!, November 26, 2014
I was provided a bottle of this multivitamin by the manufacturer.

In eating, I lean toward a 'paleo' type diet. I take multivitamins when I feel that I'm not getting enough nutrition from foods that I am eating. This could happen if I skip meals or am just not eating properly for a period of time. I take a Men's formulation for the added benefits of nutrients specifically for men. I expect a Men's formula to include pygeum, zinc and Vitamin E for prostate health, maybe Coenzyme Q10 for heart health or if you are taking statins, B-complex and Vitamin D. This Nutrigold formula does not contain the pygeum and Coenzyme Q10. It also includes others that I don't know much about: choline, PABA, inositol, vanadium and a "proprietary organic blend" of annatto extract, sesbania extract, guava extract, holy basic extract, lemon extract, amla extract. Unless you know what each of these additives does and whether you really need then, I would steer clear - on the other hand, they probably will not hurt you.

I do like that the quantities of the multivitamins are 'normal' -- meaning most are 100% of the recommended daily dose. Many vitamins pack mega-doses into a pill when the average person who eats a balanced diet doesn't need that.

Personally, for a "men's" supplement, I would like to see the Pygeum and possibly glucosamine/chondroitin for joint health included. Anything else other than the standard multivitamins is just extra stuff you may or may not need.

Brainwavz M3 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones
Brainwavz M3 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones
Price: $79.50
2 used & new from $79.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fit and quality, a little muted in the vocal frequencies, November 24, 2014
I was given these earphones in exchange for this review.

I have reviewed many of the Brainwavz earphones here on Amazon. So I compare different Brainwavz models to each other for the sound I like to hear. My favorite Brainwavz earphones (and my overall favorite as well) is the Brainwavz S1 In Ear Noise Isolating Headphones, followed closely by the Brainwavz S5 In Ear Noise Isolating Headphones. These two models have clean, crisp sound with no equalization needed. The bass, mids and treble seem to be balanced and vocals are clear and 'present.'

Now, comparing that with these M3's, I found the M3 to have a more muted vocal quality. I tried to make them sound like the S1s by adjusting the equalizer on my MP3 player. I had to almost completely turn off around the 1000Hz range and boost the low end around 400Hz and the high end around 8000-10000Hz. Then, it came close to the S1, but still fell short to my ears. There are a couple things I like about these earphone though. One is the tangle-free cord - the flat cord on the S1 and S5 seem to get tangled because their surface is rubbery/sticky. But the M3 has a smooth, round cord that does not tangle as easily. Also, I think the earpieces on the M3 seem to stay in a little better than the S1 and S5, which you are supposed to wrap the cord over the top of your ear. The M3s seem to fit best and stay in place when the cord hangs downward.

So I would recommend these earphones if you have an equalizer to adjust the sound to your liking. Otherwise, I would stick with my favorite model, the S1.

Nationite reCharge A3 13000mAh 3 USB Port Portable External Battery Charger & Power Bank - For iPhone, iPad, Android Tablets, Phones & More

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice, works well, November 24, 2014
I have several battery backup chargers, and this National model is similar to most I have tested. Its 13000 mAh capacity is enough to charge your cell phone, tablet, MP3 player one or more times. Really, any device that charges off of a USB port can be charged on this backup. It recharges quickly from a laptop/PC USB port (no A/C adapter provided), or if you have an A/C USB charger, that will work too.

One of the unique things about this charger is that it will detect and adjust the charge voltage and rate automatically, so you don't have to worry whether your device will charge properly with it or not. It also comes with a USB adapter dongle with connectors for Apple, Samsung, and the old wide Apple charge ports; as well as a USB cable to charge it with. There is also a handy LED light on it, which you turn on/off by pushing the power button twice rapidly.

Overall, a nice looking and useful backup for your handheld devices on the go.

Photoshop Elements 13 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))
Photoshop Elements 13 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))
by Barbara Obermeier
Price: $22.22
28 used & new from $18.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for learning Photoshop Elements!, November 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What I like about the "Dummies" series is that they are written by experts who know and use the product. In this case, this book is by Barbara Obermeier, the author of another Photoshop for Dummies book as well. What makes this book particularly useful over the Photoshop Elements help guide is that it walks you through examples of using the different tools available. And each tool is explained in detail with all its menu options, parameters and how they work. Another thing I like about these books is that there are self-references in them - in other words, while explaining one tool, it will point you to page xx for information on a related tool. I find this very helpful if you are trying to do a specific task and need help with tasks related to what you are doing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20