Profile for Laura J. Eklund > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laura J. Eklund RSS Feed (Ogden, UT USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Doctor Who: Series Seven, Part Two
Doctor Who: Series Seven, Part Two
DVD ~ Various
Price: $19.96
65 used & new from $5.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, April 22, 2013
I am watching the 7th series on TV right now and can't wait for it to come out on dvd. I am hoping there will be 'special features' on these disks because I would really like to see some of the prep for the ending scene of "The Rings of Akhaten". Not going to say anymore about that. Oh, well, just say it's fantastic.
I've been watching DW since the 4th season of the Classic Series. (yes, I'm that old). I became aware of the William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, and Jon Pertwee 'Doctors' and watched them. Jon Pertwee became my favorite. Since then, no one has held a candle to him until now. Who would have thunk that an upstart 26 year old could play a 907 year old Time Lord, but I saw it at the end of the most recent Christmas special, and then in 'The Bells of St. John'. Jon Pertwee will always be my favorite from the classic series, but Matt Smith has become, as River Song puts it 'my' Doctor of the new series.

Christopher and His Kind
Christopher and His Kind
DVD ~ Matt Smith
Price: $16.96
21 used & new from $12.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected., December 4, 2012
This review is from: Christopher and His Kind (DVD)
Well, it wasn't what I expected. From the reviews listed, I thought it might a deep look at a man's life as he escaped pre-war England to a more tolerant Europe. "Buggery" is what the English called homosexuality during the first part of the 20th century. In the 30's it was punishable by inprisonment or death. Isherwood made it plain why he was going to Germany and once he was there a friend introduced him to the underground homosexual culture. He acted like a child in a candy store, but was informed that the men in his candy store were mostly heterosexual. They were trying to keep themselves and their families fed by prostituting themselves. He was naive and it was a rude awakening. Without the one frontal nudity scene and Matt Smith making love to a man, this film could have been shown on Masterpiece Theater.
I'm not saying I didn't like the movie. I always try to find out more about an actor if he or she shows up on a show I like and I am a die-hard "Doctor Who" fan. Matt Smith is a wonderful actor and he did a fantastic job as Isherwood and there was very little of his "Doctor Who" persona in the performance. He will never be type-cast as "Doctor Who" as long as he continues to make films that are so different. The big problem was the writing. They could have given him so much more to work with. It was different than "Doctor Who", but it was not a "stretch" for him. I've seen episodes of "Doctor Who" that have made him dig deeper.
The other actors and actresses gave passing performances.
Would I recommend this movie to others? I'm not sure. Will I purchase it? I'm still making up my mind.

Doctor Who: The Complete Specials (The Next Doctor / Planet of the Dead / The Waters of Mars / The End of Time Parts 1 and 2)
DVD ~ David Tennant
Offered by HARVEST MOUSE, LLC
Price: $64.73
7 used & new from $15.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, April 24, 2010
I wasn't at all sure I would like David Tennant as the Doctor after Christopher Eccleston, but in the last 3 years he has made his way into my "hearts". From "Christmas Invasion" to "The End of Time", he has evoked emotion and laughter. He showed incredible talent as a comedic actor when possessed by "Cassandra" in Series 2's "New Earth", then the complete emotional breakdown in series 3's "Human Nature". Each story grabbed my heart, but the final joy came when in "Journey's End", I could accutally see how the TARDIS was supposed to be flown and that it was being flown by the Doctor's "family".

I thought "The Next Doctor" was wonderful with David Morrissey's pain and David Tennant's sincere compassion as the two sorted out Morrissey's pain while overcoming the Cyberman invasion. This is an incredible episode, very satisfying.

"The Planet of the Dead" is a pretty good episode. It shows what the Doctor does best. He thinks on his feet and solves the problem in a somewhat logical matter. As Michelle Ryan's "Lady Christina" says "...you are the brain box, so start boxing." What made the episode complete was the comedic banter between Tennant and comedic actor Lee Evans. In the process of solving the problem Evans' "Malcolm" and the "Doctor" become "best friends". The ending when the Doctor refuses to allow Christina to travel with him shows how emotionally tired he really is. As he tells Christina, he loses all of his companions.

"The Waters of Mars" takes us back to the "behind the couch" era, humans infected by alien parasites turning into monsters. The most important part comes at the end wirh rhe Doctors crisis of "faith".

"The End of Time" pts 1 and 2 broke my heart. I knew they were to be David Tennant's last episodes, but nothing prepared me for the depth of writing talent and acting that was involved. Russell T Davis' writing was superb as always. I don't think there could ever be another such emotionally charged episode such as this one. David Tennant's young/old Doctor with Bernerd Cribbins' old Wilfrid Mott was sentimental with a simple father/son affection developing. The Doctor allowing himself to be taken care of by this old Earth man showed his incredible neediness. In the end when the Doctor saves Wilf's life at the cost of one of his own it seemed only right. As the regeneration progresses, the Doctor gets in his TARDIS and for the last time visits several of his companions. He saves Micky and Martha from a Sontarran attack; Sarah Jane's son, Luke, from an oncoming car and he gives a lonely and dejected Jack Harkness, sitting in an inter-galatic bar, the name of a young man who may or may not fill that emptiness. He visits Donna's wedding, knowing that only her mother and grandfather, Wilfrid, will know who he is.
Then in the final moment before his transformation he goes to the one place on Earth he felt he belonged, Rose Tyler's "Powell Estates". He watches her celebrate 2005's New Year, knowing that they will meet for the first time later that year in the personna of Chrisopher Eccleston. Then he heads for his TARDIS accompanied by Ood Sigma who relays the Ood song which spans the Universe. I cried.

Music adds a wonderful feeling to any show, but I have never seen the likes of Murray Gold. I'm sorry, but even John Williams pales in comparison.

I will give Matt Smith a chance, because the Doctor is one man, a Time Lord, with many different faces, but I will never forget David Tennant's important contributions to the new series. I will look forward to his other works to come.

I recommend this product, if you hadn't guessed already.

Doctor Who: The Complete Third Series
Doctor Who: The Complete Third Series
DVD ~ David Tennant
Offered by louvre_98
Price: $39.99
15 used & new from $30.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it., March 18, 2010
I was hesitant when S-1 came to TV with Christopher Eccleston, but was soon won over by his and his co-star's performances. I was hesitant because I didn't think anyone besides Barry Letts, Variety Lambert or John Nathan Turner could make it as great as it was in the original series, but I was wrong. Russell T Davis has taken the ball and run with it and I feel that the character's integrity is safe with him. There are a couple of weak episodes in S-3, but on-the-whole, it is brilliant. I haven't seen S-4 yet, but if it continues the way it is, I can easily see myself owning it as well.
I guess what makes this new series great is the fact that the majority of the actors and crew are devoted fans. You can feel the love they put into it.

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: Season 2
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: Season 2
DVD ~ William Petersen
Price: $14.47
185 used & new from $3.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Always a good show, October 9, 2009
This has always been a good show, but as time has gone by it has become better. This season is one of my favorites.

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: Season 1
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: Season 1
DVD ~ George Eads
Price: $12.96
260 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best tv shows ever., June 6, 2009
There isn't much to say that problably hasn't been said before. This is one of the best tv shows to date. Gil Grissom(William Petersen) leads a group of top crimialists to solve crimes. All of the characters, including minor characters are fleshed out well and each have their own quirks.
My favorite character is Grissom, because of the devosion he has to his work and his awkwardness in public. He is someone I can relate to.

I definitely recommend this show.

The Staircase
The Staircase
DVD ~ *
Price: $5.98
13 used & new from $5.98

4.0 out of 5 stars I really like this movie., June 6, 2009
This review is from: The Staircase (DVD)
I'm not Catholic, but I think anyone who enjoys movies of faith will like this one.
The story is about a group of nuns who have traveled from Kentucky to Santa Fe, New Mexico Territory, circa 1876. They are led by a general-like Mother Suuperiior, Mother Madelaine(Barbara Hershey). Through hard work, she and her group are able to build a convent. All it lacked was a chapel. Using her forcefull personality, she is able to get a local contractor, Mr. Philger(David Clennon)to accomplish the goal. In the process of building the chapel a mistake is made wherein the stairs to the choir loft are forgotten. Madelaine cannot get money to fix the problem so she prays for answer to her problem. In the process of the story, a man rides out of the desert on a mule. He claims to be a carpenter and offers to build the stairs. The man Joad(William Petersen) and Madelaine develope a deep affection for one another as they both put their hearts into building the staircase.
At the end Joad disappears into the desert in the same abrupt way he arrived.
Although this story has been embelleshed by writers it is based on the true story of the "Sisters of Our Lady of the Light" in Sante Fe, New Mexico.

Madelaine is supported by what could only be described as her conscious, Sister Margret played by Diane Ladd.

Petersen played his role of Joad with sensitivity and humility as one would expect from a man of faith assiting the nuns. Diane Ladd was given a small part in this movie, but being the professional she is, she took it and made it her own. I loved her portrayal of Margret. I was definitely supprised by Barbara Hershey's performance of Mother Madelaine. I was disappointed, her performance was flat, with little genioun emotion. She played the character as a one-sided person and even my untrained eye could tell there were more layers to the character than what she brought across.

All in all, I really like this movie and do recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2013 8:09 AM PDT

CIA: Exiled
CIA: Exiled
DVD ~ George C. Scott
Offered by librex
Price: $9.95
51 used & new from $0.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a great movie, June 5, 2009
This review is from: CIA: Exiled (DVD)
I like to try new movies, just something different. I liked this movie, but it isn't a great movie. The actors were likable enough and performed well. I had never imagined George C. Scott in such a role as the restraunt owner whose past comes back to haunt him. William Petersen plays an ex-CIA agent who is exiled to Caracau because he took the life of a fellow agent who was a traitor. In the process of the story, he is laiden with Scott's problems and has to sort them out. Being a hero, he reluctantely does so. An old flame and CIA agent enters the picture because of his discontent to watch over him. She winds up protecting him from "the powers that be."

Like I said it isn't a great movie but if you need some entertainment this might work for you. Would I recommend it? I'm still trying to decide.

O, this movie is rated "R", but there is very little foul language, one sex scene and one but-shot of Petersen's rear end. He does have a nice rear end.

The Beast (Two-Disc Special Extended Version)
The Beast (Two-Disc Special Extended Version)
DVD ~ William L. Petersen
Price: $8.26
29 used & new from $4.26

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it., May 30, 2009
This is not an Oscar winner by a long shot. I rented a version from Netflix and liked it. I don't know what the difference between that version and the purchased one, but I'm going to find out. This movie was strangely addictive. After watching it the first time, I wanted to watch it again.

This is an flawed movie, but it appeared that the actors were having fun doing it. There was great chemistry between Petersen who played Capt. Whip Dalton and the young woman, Missy Crider, who played his daughter, Dana.
I did not feel much chemistry between Petersen and Karen Sillas who played the love interest, Lt Kathryn Marcus of the U.S. Coast Guard. Other wise the movie was fun and a nice distraction.

Over all, I would recommend this movie and wouldn't be afraid to let my 10 year old watch it unsupervised.

Culture Warrior
Culture Warrior
by Bill O'Reilly
Price: $9.90
332 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Horrific!, October 17, 2008
This review is from: Culture Warrior (Paperback)
This isn't "horrific" in a bad sense. I was engrossed by this book and it is excellent. As I read my mind became numb with all the things that Bill was alleging. I was so appalled that I've started looking things up. I have never been a strict Constitutionalist. I believe we need to give the Constitution breathing room, so it can be adaptaed to whatever comes our way. Something tells me we should take the Founding Fathers thoughts under consideration; "When in the course of human events when one people must separate themselves from another..." I didn't get it just right, but you know the rest. I'm not a sessationist, but I think we need to stand up and make our reps know how we feel. I think it says what alot of us are angry about right now.

Please pay attention to what is happening in our country, we have allowed our country to get out of control by our apathy.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Page: 1 | 2