Profile for Sorrel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sorrel RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
In The Beginning: A Songwriter's Tribute To Garth Brooks
In The Beginning: A Songwriter's Tribute To Garth Brooks
Offered by DVD-PC-GAMES
Price: $17.51
27 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Save yourselves, run the other way!, September 12, 2001
I recieved this CD for my birthday and being a huge Garth Brooks fan, I was very excited about it. My excitement soon turned to horror as when I started listening to the songs. They were terrible! These people absolutely slaughtered these amazing songs!
I know that they were being preformed by the people that wrote/co-wrote them, and I would be the first to say that the songs themselves are amazing and the writters are great at what they do, they just can't sing.
If you like the kind of old, whinning country music (as in, nothing Garth Brooks would ever sing), then maybe you'd like the way these people preforme these songs. But there is a reason some people write the songs and get others to sing them. With the exception of the lady who sings *We Shall be Free* the CD is full of terrible music.
I suppose if you are a diehard Garth fan you will want to buy this CD, just do it knowing that after you have listend to the first 20 seconds of each song, this CD will have a permanet home on your shelf, I know mine does.

Twelve Red Herrings
Twelve Red Herrings
by Jeffrey Archer
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
143 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Some were good... and some were not., July 15, 2001
Basically, some of the stories were great, and others were pretty awful. That's why this book only gets 3 stars.
The point of the book is that all the stories are supposed to have surprise endings, and some of them do. About 70% of the stories succeeded in keeping my interest and provided me with an unexpected ending. However, some of them left me wondering "well, what was the point of that?"
Another downside is that after so many 'surprise endings', you start to know what to expect, and you when you start looking for the clue about what's to come, you can usually figure out what the 'surprise' will be.
Overall, it's a good book to read if you want to be lightly entertained. You will be treated to some exceptional story telling, and some time wasting trash, which is certainly not the trademark of Jeffery Archer. I was happy with the book and you will be too, if you are willing to overlook the few bad parts and allow yourself to enjoy the rest.

Untouchables [VHS]
Untouchables [VHS]
Offered by R2Bookstore
Price: $9.49
13 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a great movie!, July 2, 2001
This review is from: Untouchables [VHS] (VHS Tape)
First of all, I would like to say that I really like Kevin Costner in this movie. I think he did a great job of playing his character. However, I have never seen any of the old show "The Untouchables" so, as it was my first time seeing 'Elliot Ness' I really dind't already have an idea in my mind of what he should be like. But I liked Kostner in the part.
The rest of the cast was incredible (DeNiro as Capone was great) Sean Connery was just as great and over all it was a well done movie. The kind when you know something bad is going to happen and you sit there yelling at the screen, trying to warn the characters. (I love that)
Some great lines, and priceless scenes make this one of the best action movies I've ever seen.

Chase
Chase
Offered by CJ's Books & Things
Price: $12.29
34 used & new from $0.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Different..., July 2, 2001
This review is from: Chase (Audio CD)
If you were to take all Garth Brooks' CDs and pick out the one that is the most unlike the others, this would have to be it. Out of all the Garth CDs, I think this one is my least favorite. Not because it's bad and not because it's not 'country' enough, just because I don't like it as must as the others.
But, it's worth buying just to have some of the songs on it. *Face to face* is an amazing song that a lot of people can really relate to. *Every now and then* is a great piece, and *Somewhere other than the night* is my personal favorite on the disc.
For the true Garth Brooks fan, you will want this CD no matter what. As it is written on the case "Every artist seems to have an album that reflects 'the person' rather than 'the artist.' The Chase is that album for Garth Brooks."

Artemis Fowl
Artemis Fowl
by Andrew Donkin
Price: $11.91
274 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like an action movie... only with fairys., June 12, 2001
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Hardcover)
I really liked Artemis Fowl, it was interesting, exciting, funny, and it really kept you guessing as to what Artemis was going to come up with next.
It's not what I would call a children's book. It just like an action movie (Die Hard with fairies was a good way to explain it.) This is not to say I don't think kids will enjoy it, I think older kids (like 11-12) will probably love it, and anyone older than that who has an imagination, and who likes lots of action.
At times, it almost seemed like the author couldn't decide if he was writing for adults or children. For example, the description of weaponry and attack plans made me feel like I was reading a Clancy novel (or something similar.) Then, 3 pages later, when the Dwarf blasts someone with dirt he has recently "eaten and decomposed" it's pretty clear what age group that was intended for.
Alright...here it comes...you know it couldn't be avoided, the comparison to Harry Potter. They both have a violent troll in them. There, that's it.
Seriously, the two have nothing in common other than the fact that they deal with trolls, goblins, centaurs and fairies. But in all fairness, other than the troll, the characters are portrayed in entirely different ways. No, if you are looking for another Harry Potter, you won't find him here. (I'm not sure you'll find it anywhere.) Totally different stories, different types of characters, different writing.
But I still liked this book, it's a great read. At then end I wasn't sure if I wanted Artemis (the bad guy) to win, or if I wanted the fairies (the good guys) to win. Just start it with an open mind and keep waiting for Harry Potter book 5.

Sevens
Sevens
Offered by Rainforest Trading Post
Price: $11.49
396 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection of songs!, January 15, 2001
This review is from: Sevens (Audio CD)
Before I bought this CD I only had one other Garth CD (double live). But after I saw him sing Belleau Wood on his Christmas special, I just had to get whatever CD it was on.
Ater listening to that song a few million times, I decided to listen to the rest of the songs, and WOW are they ever great.!
There are some fast, fun songs like Cowboy Cadillac, Longneck Bottle. Some slower songs that make you think like I Don't Have to Wonder, A Friend to Me. And then there are some songs with messages How you Ever Gonna Know, Do What You Gotta do. And of course, Belleau Wood, what an incredible song, even people who have told me that they hate country music can't find anything bad to say about this song.
Overall, this would be a excellent CD to add to any collection, if you have some other Garth music, be sure to get this CD, I'm sure everyone will find something on it that they can relate to.

Top Gun [VHS]
Top Gun [VHS]
Offered by WonderBook
Price: $0.50
359 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST of the best, January 13, 2001
This review is from: Top Gun [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This is my favorite movie of all time! Most people don't believe me when I tell them I've watched it over 30 times, but yeah, I think 30 is about right.
This movie has everything, an interesting plot, characters you can relate to, action, drama, comedy, yeah ok, some romance too, but the awsome action sceens, the fights in the air (not to mention the ones on the ground) are really what make this movie so great.
I would recommend this movie to everyone, I have never met anyone in their right mind that didn't enjoy it. It will keep you on the edge of your seat untill the very end!

Big Momma's House [VHS]
Big Momma's House [VHS]
Offered by aokmovies2
Price: $1.25
14 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars It was predictable, silly, but still funny., January 13, 2001
This review is from: Big Momma's House [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I thought the movie would be better than it was, but I can't say I was totally disappointed with it. It had some funny parts, and although the plot was very predictable (you almost always knew what was going to happen next.) It was still entertaining and I'm glad I watched it.
If you're looking for non-stop laughs, look elseware. But if you don't mind some sillyness and just want to have fun, this is right movie.

Hollow Man [VHS]
Hollow Man [VHS]
7 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars This movie was terrible!, January 13, 2001
This review is from: Hollow Man [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This movie looked pretty good in the previews, but believe me, it was bad! The story line was one of the worst I've ever seen, the characters were totally unbelievable and it wasn't even scarry, not at all. It was slow getting started, the ending was so dumb (oh, I just it him, he must be dead, so I'll just turn my back to him now) and the rest was sooooooo predictable.
The only thing remotley good was the special effects, they were pretty amazing.
But over all, save yourself, get something else.

The Green Mile
The Green Mile
by Stephen King
411 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Usually not what I do, usually not what I read., January 13, 2001
This review is from: The Green Mile (Paperback)
I have never been a big fan of Stephen King, but after seeing the movie "The Green Mile" I just had to read the book. (Usually I would have read the book first and then watched the movie, since books are usually better)
This book brings you in from the start and I love the story line, it's very unique. The only complaint I have is that I didn't like the way it skipped back and forth, from young Paul to old Paul, but I realize this is because the book was originally written as 6 small books, so King was just summarizing what had already happened. But I usually ended up skimming through the first chapter of each section, to get back to the main story.
This is probably one of the few times I could say that I almost preffered the movie to the book. But I would still recommend the book to anyone, even if you have already seen the movie, there are some changes. And if you haven't seen the movie, read the book and then watch the movie, I guarantee you will love them both.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3