ARRAY(0x97d9c318)

Customer Reviews: 173

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Teahouse Fox "...and this is my favorite store on the Internet!" RSS Feed (MD, United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
MyPC Backup
MyPC Backup
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars A little too squirrelly for a cloud backup service, December 2, 2013
This review is from: MyPC Backup (App)
I nearly got suckered by the glowing reviews posted on their website. You can try the product by signing up for a free account. Reviews on their site would have you think that this was going to backup all your files and be so wonderful you'd sign up on the spot.

The truth is that the free trial backed up a little more than 6MB in a suspiciously short amount of time, then indicated a backup successfully copied all the files. I don't expect the sun, moon and stars in a free trial. But I do expect that when a backup product gives a backup result of "All your files are protected!" that it really means all the files I told it to, and had it backed up less than that, it would inform me of what was or wasn't backed up, and hopefully why.

I had to go back to the cloud and count the files present to confirm that contrary to the MyPC Backup client status, the back up was not complete.

I did hope for more data to be able to extrapolate how long it might take to back up the meat and potatoes of my files - the GB of larger files, or larger directories. No such luck.

The free trial comes with a 20% discount if you signed up with a personal backup subscription. The app here is a free way to hopefully access your clouded files on your mobile. If you're asking "Well...20% off of what?", you're not alone. So was I. They ask for your credit card information for their cloud service subscription without ever telling you how much they intend to charge you, what fees might be tacked on, cancellation fees, or anything, really.

So in short MyPCBackup doesn't back up all the files you tell it to, much less all the files IT told you it did, and requires payment before you know how much you will be charged for this questionable performance. But hey... this app is free. Perhaps you can use it to double check and find out which of your files actually got backed up?

If you went ahead and gave 'em your credit card information anyway, consider this a life lesson. (Hint: Don't.)

Can You Escape
Can You Escape
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging Escape Puzzler, November 28, 2013
This review is from: Can You Escape (App)
Enter the game at the first floor of a building with a locked elevator door. You work out puzzles of low difficulty, but which can vary in complexity, to find one or more keys to open the elevator and move to another floor.

It's a room escape puzzle game with good graphics that provides a decent challenge for the average player. It keeps you engaged enough to want to continue playing floor after floor, and lacks huge leaps of "sneaky trick logic" that some games of room escapes seem to lean on.

Unfortunately, so far it's only ten floors.There is a promise of more coming, but no idea when that will come. As the floors go up, they could stand to increase the complexity or difficulty gradually.

So far, it's been an amusing distraction while sitting in doctor's waiting rooms.

Lusterless Flat Lacquer Clear Coat Testors
Lusterless Flat Lacquer Clear Coat Testors
Offered by Winkie's Toys & Hobby
Price: $11.79
7 used & new from $5.45

5.0 out of 5 stars The Same as Floquil Figure Flat - The Best Top Coat for Figurines/Scale Models, August 3, 2013
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Prior to buying this, I used Floquil's Figure Flat, but as of spring of 2013, the Floquil line is being discontinued. On the bright side, Testors Model Master Lusterless appears to be exactly the same thing.

I paint miniatures, which I top coat in matte lacquer. I have had a can of Floquil Figure Flat since some time in the late 1980's. No I'm not kidding. You don't need much to top coat a figurine an inch in height. For actively used gaming figures, I splurge and put a second top coat on it. Maybe a third.

My can of Figure Flat spluttered dry in June 2013, mid project. I got a can of Krylon 1311 Matte to top coat the other half of the project. It may have been economical, but the results were so horrible. I spent the next two days repainting it because of the 'dusty powder' effect it left suspended in the (shiny!) top coat. No matter what I did, the results from the Krylon were never consistent. Sometimes I get a satin finish, sometimes matte.

So, bottom line, of all the things Krylon paint is good for, this is not one of them. You pay more for the Model Master, but when you get such wonderful results every single time, then it's worth it. The results are consistent, crystal clear and completely matte, even with multiple coats.

Copic Sketch Marker 0 Colorless Blender
Copic Sketch Marker 0 Colorless Blender
Offered by TCP Global Corp
Price: $6.39
45 used & new from $4.87

5.0 out of 5 stars More than blending, July 11, 2013
The Copic 0 marker is a sketch marker with no pigment, just alcohol. If you wonder why you want this and not just a bottle of rubbing alcohol, it's because it's the type and strength. Copics use 77% Ethyl alcohol, and the normal rubbing alcohol commonly available is 70% isopropyl.

You can still get interesting texture effects using isopropyl alcohol, but best go for the highest percent you can. Higher percentage = less water.

The use is for colorless blending of alcohol markers, but if you're thinking 'blend a blue smoothly to an orange', it doesn't work that way. I tend to use the lightest tints in a color family as a blender between family shades, and different brush strokes to blend two dissimilar colors together.

It's good at adding slight touches of a color to an area through transference though. It's also good to fade a color to the background (white) of the paper, but be careful which colors you try that with, as it can make irregular edges. Unless you want that, then it's cool.

The first time I tried blending (incorrectly!) it didn't do much, and I made a face at the marker and set it aside. The second time I tried it, I used it to add texture to a solid area of dark brown leather armor, giving that part of the drawing a beaten weathered look. It. Looked. Awesome.

Then, I went a little crazy. I hit up the bottom edge of a cloak, giving it a spattered travel worn appearance. I added pattern texture to a drawing of clothing, and touched careful highlights to spots where I wanted to indicate a shine. You can also use it to sort of flick color that has escaped an area back into line, but this takes a bit of patience and luck, but you can clear areas of your picture of errors made with colored Copics. Think of that as a cleanup technique for minor errors, and not so much a correction tool for major errors, though I once coaxed a 1/2" drip stain back in line.

I tried using a non porous palette to smear ink from a colored pen and pick it up with the tip of the blender to make delicate shading without needing a bajillion of the palest Copic markers (unless you need the actual markers for larger areas), or pick a little ink up by touching the blender tip to an inked marker tip and transfer it to a small area to blend in. I think I need more practice at this, but you can use it to combine two colors as well - again, in small areas.

Even if you never use it as a blender, it's worth it for the texturing alone. I don't think I'll do leather or fantasy characters without it.

Designer Herding and Sorting poles (Foxy Lady, 54")
Designer Herding and Sorting poles (Foxy Lady, 54")

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but pretty herding pole, July 11, 2013
I was in something of a pickle to get a herding stick, and chose this one because I wanted to buy once, and only revisit the purchase if I broke or lost it. I did find some places online that sold basic herding sticks for less than half the price, but I didn't want to buy a basic stick then wish for something nicer later on.

To be clear, you can get them cheaper, but a lot of people want something a bit fancier and less utilitarian. The herding pole itself is sturdy, with a good grip (black) and spring in the shaft if you bring it down on the ground. The designer part to it is the covering on the shaft. It's a 'sleeve' of high quality printing on an adhesive backed coating (some kind of plastic?) which is then wrapped around the pole. The wrap overlaps slightly, and there is a very thin seam that runs the length of the pole, which is 4.5 feet, and slightly tapered.

It is very pretty, and has gotten both compliments for its sturdiness and appearance while drawing some pursed lips at the price.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2013 9:53 AM PDT

14K White Gold 5mm Ball Stud Earrings with screw-back
14K White Gold 5mm Ball Stud Earrings with screw-back
Offered by The World Jewelry Center
Price: $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Screw post earrings - not just for little girls, July 10, 2013
When I remove earrings from my second pair of holes, my ears seem to regenerate faster than kudzu vine. So, I always have studs in my second holes, even when my main earrings spend all their time on a jewelry tree.

Wearing studs 24x7 meant that they had to be comfortable enough to ignore, and sturdy enough to not take a walk while I was ignoring them. My last set were great at the first part, but not so great at the second part. Even when I replaced the backings with a tighter pair, I woke up and discovered last week that in my travels I'd lost a stud.

I bought screw back earrings out of frustration. The good part is that they look identical to the last pair of 14K white gold post earrings I had. The bad part is that in order to make them sturdy enough to hold a screw thread, the posts are ever so slightly thicker. The holes will adjust, I know, it's just right now, my ears are a tad cranky about it.

The backs are tiny, but screw on securely - They don't feel at all like they might spontaneously loosen. Not that I'm above using a tiny drop of Loc-Tite on them, but I'd rather not if possible. I've slept in them for a couple nights now, and find them comfortable, and the backs still secure.

Baxter of California Clay Mask, 4 fl. oz.
Baxter of California Clay Mask, 4 fl. oz.
Price: $18.00
3 used & new from $18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong enough for a woman, but.... made for men?, July 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a facial mask noob. Like others, I kind of poo poo the idea of gender specific skin care. Mostly, people care about the scent they are left with, the price, and the results of the product.

So, before anyone makes me turn in my girl-card, I don't moisturize (oily skin), Pantene products are as pricey as I go, and I think Noxema and Ponds cold cream are pretty cool stuff. But, as I said, oily skin.

Enter the facial mask. It has something of an earthy smell to it. I consider it a pleasant smell, not overdone, and certainly after you rinse the clay off, it leaves hardly any scent at all. Noxema certainly can't make that claim. .

I first tried this on a weekend that I'd spent in the sun, sweaty with sunblock and bug repellent for skin care. To say that it was soothing is an understatement. Soothing only lasts as long as it takes for the mask to dry of course, and extends a little bit past the rinse off.

The ingredients include a lot of things that you might expect to find in a mask, like glycerin, kaolin and witch hazel. And clay. Looking at other similar masks, sure enough it's not unusual.

The mask directions indicate that your skin should already be clean before using it. My skin does feel great immediately after rinsing it off, and for a few hours after. Oil free, and toned, but not dry.

A lot of people my age might feel slightly ridiculous using their grandma's skin care routine, but I guess I'm not one of them. The clay mask was great to try out, but better than using Noxema with a witch hazel chaser? I don't know that it is, but I feel slightly ridiculous using a mask that gives me the same results at $4.50 an ounce.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2013 10:46 AM PDT

The Standoff 300-Piece Puzzle
The Standoff 300-Piece Puzzle
Price: $8.15
4 used & new from $6.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun puzzle pieces in a small puzzle, July 4, 2013
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I sat down to put together puzzles with my cousin, and we thought this would be a nice quick one to knock out. It's 300 pieces, each of which a little larger than the representative size on the box indicates. The art is cute - a trio of cats around a large goldfish bowl.

The puzzle has some unexpected shapes that appealed to both of us. The box indicated just five shapes, but there are many more than that. We found a gecko, the Eiffel Tower, a snowman, etc. So it was actually kind of fun for a short puzzle, with other unusual shapes, that weren't anything at all really, just not the standard puzzle piece shape, so made it a little more unpredictable.

It was good for a rainy evening indoors with the kidlings.

Dial AA Battery Storage Box
Dial AA Battery Storage Box
Offered by Stock Your Home
Price: $5.37
17 used & new from $1.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't let your batteries roll around like little hooligans! Organize them!, June 26, 2013
Discount battery packs have a bajillion batteries in them, but after you roll away from the Costco or BJ's in your U-Haul truck of groceries, what do you do if you just need to take a few batteries with you for travel? Throw em in your bag to roll around and get lost under the lining or possibly fall out if the zipper isn't quite closed?

Solution: Corral those little suckers into a plastic case with a snap lid. This compact little battery case holds 12 AA or a mix of 9v, AA and AAA as long as you don't mind the triple A's rattling around a bit. To be honest, a travel soap case would do the trick as well, but I like the idea that pairs of AA's are kept in little rows and kept from rolling around.

I also have a little spot on my kitchen counter where a battery recharger is plugged in. Once I finish charging batteries, and have others to charge, I take the fresh ones, and pop em in this little case that sits neatly under the charger. No rolling around the counter to get mixed up with the drained batteries for you guys. We'll have none of that around here - Into the box you go!

It's a basic concept, and fairly cheap, running about the same price as a travel soap case, but with the handy little rows. That is all.

ABO Gear Dog Digs Pet Crate, Large
ABO Gear Dog Digs Pet Crate, Large
Price: $97.99
13 used & new from $97.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very sturdy = Limited usefulness, June 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's common for me to visit family and friends with the Barkspawn in tow. And since he's a 9 month old border collie, he's basically an overdriven chipmunk on crack. At home, he is a crate trained angel, knows when to park himself "in the box" and never fusses at being in his well padded cell, taking his nap times with good grace. Which is a blessing, because otherwise, I'd be in need of a well padded cell myself.

For travel, I hate breaking down and packing the thing. The puppy spends trips in a seatbelt buckled into the back of the SUV, and when we get where we're going, it can be a challenge. So, I've been looking at portable crates; let's not call them travel crates, since to me that means more "suitable for shipping your dog in the cargo hold of a plane or freighter.

There are some hits and misses with the ABO Gear crate. I wanted a crate that was easy to transport, reasonably sturdy, stayed closed, but is easy to open, had good visibility (from outside and from within), and was easy to clean in case of accidents. The large size is for dogs over 35 pounds, and the Barkspawn, at just under 40 pounds, had gobs of space. As a medium size dog, he could lay out full length, so I suppose a medium size crate would have done better. He did not fuss at being in a mainly fabric crate and sat down quietly to watch me work in the kitchen.

On the plus side, the crate is light enough to travel with, roughly 10 pounds. It comes folded in its own custom duffel, made of the same material as the crate itself, a lightweight but fairly tough polyester over an aluminum frame. The crate doesn't fold flat, but sort of accordion collapses into a smaller shape with the same length. It took less than a minute to lock the crate into it's usable state. The crate has two opening panels that take up most of the top and virtually all of one side. Both are single zipper closures and the flaps can be rolled back and secured with a hanging Velcro fastener. The main side opening provides great visibility, the top a little less. The bottom and ends are solid fabric, and the opposite side has a view panel a few inches wide at dog-eye height. All visibility panels are black nylon mesh.

On the minus side, the crate is a little too lightweight. I leaned my weight slightly on what should have been the strongest parts of the frame, and it immediately tried to twist and give way. Not sturdy at all! The Barkspawn was in it at the time and didn't look too concerned, but he's been a lab-rat for my dog product reviews in the past, so he's grown to expect mom to do weird things. But, anything heavy falling against the crate would easily collapse it, dog and all.

Had The Barkspawn objected to the crate, there would have been very little in the construction to stop him rolling it, or possibly trying to claw or gnaw out the mesh. Sometimes while traveling, he does not want to have a time out, and this was a real concern. A larger dog could probably roll this laying against the side and make short work of it easily if he meant to get out.

Bottom line - If your dog has a placid nature, this would work. If your dog has separation anxiety issues, or would physically object to the containment, this is not a good crate substitute. If you are trying out the idea of crate training, this is not the crate to do it in - instead get a steel wire crate of more solid construction. If your dog is smaller, and kennel/housetrained, this actually would be a nice little pen to keep her confined while on travel, while still giving her room to play and move around a bit.

For my purposes, it supports the 'easily portable' need, but it is not 'reasonably sturdy'.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18