Profile for Osgood Conklin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Osgood Conklin RSS Feed (California)

Page: 1 | 2
Conversations with John L'Heureux
Conversations with John L'Heureux
by Dikran Karagueuzian
Price: $15.31
30 used & new from $6.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Company, May 27, 2014
Few write as well as L'Heureux, and fewer yet are as articulate about the craft of writing. This book is not only instructive but companionable--after each reading you'll feel as if you've just spent the last hour in the company of the smartest and wittiest guy in the neighborhood, and a pretty big neighborhood at that. Made me sorry the last interview was over, but also made me want to go out and look for L'Heureux's latest novel.

We Are the Goldens
We Are the Goldens
by Dana Reinhardt
Price: $12.92
85 used & new from $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific new Reinhardt, May 27, 2014
This review is from: We Are the Goldens (Hardcover)
Talk about your cautionary tales. Really, I don't think there's anybody in the business who's better than Dana Reinhardt at sibling relationships (all the subtle intuitive stuff both good and bad that somehow add up to love) or at the boy girl friendships that sneakily evolve into something more. This one had a couple of bonus surprises: the hovering Creed brothers, who are terrific, and the inventive narrative structure wherein the whole of the book leads us back to its beginning, which jacks up the book's already robust supply of tension. A great read, and a terrific new addition to the ever expanding and ever more impressive Reinhardt body of work.

The Annotated Brothers Grimm (The Bicentennial Edition)
The Annotated Brothers Grimm (The Bicentennial Edition)
by Brothers Grimm
Price: $27.89
85 used & new from $15.67

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive edition of the Household Tales, November 15, 2013
The versions of the tales are excellent, as are the illustrations, and Tatar's marginal comments provide context that is especially helpful to anyone interested in the way the tales evolved. Hard to imagine anyone improving on this definitive edition.

She Loves Me Not: New and Selected Stories
She Loves Me Not: New and Selected Stories
by Ron Hansen
Price: $18.56
124 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific stories; amazing breadth, July 11, 2013
I've read Hansen's stories over the years and expected to pick up this book and read one or two but instead found myself reading one, then another, then telling myself, "Just one more." I read them all. That one guy can take on such an astonishing breadth of subject matter and characters, and make them all engaging and persuasive, is a kind of tour de force. As good as his novels are, he's a master of the short form.

The Pull of Gravity
The Pull of Gravity
by Gae Polisner
Price: $7.85
61 used & new from $1.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Great characters, story and writing, June 18, 2013
This review is from: The Pull of Gravity (Paperback)
Pull indeed. The tension begins early and doesn't let up until the last page is turned. The lead characters, Jaycee and Nick, are both winsome in their own ways, and their evolution in finding their fit with one another and their place in the world moves forward in a sure and persuasive way. And, yes, prepare yourself for Scoot's funeral. You know it's coming but you're not going to be ready for how powerful it is. Great characters, great story, great writing--it all adds up to a wonderful book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2013 2:10 PM PDT

Odessa Again
Odessa Again
by Dana Reinhardt
Price: $12.94
77 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wondrous Book, June 15, 2013
This review is from: Odessa Again (Hardcover)
For the last several days I've had that terrific feeling of knowing I had a good place to retreat to as soon as I could be done writing the bills and doing all the other everyday things an adult doesn't really want to do, the good place in this case being Odessa Again. Not only was it a wonderful escape hatch, but it also reminded me more than usually of the kind of books I loved losing myself in when I was much younger and making more frequent bicycle trips to the library. Odessa the character and Odessa the book are just plain winsome; you cannot help loving them both.

Rapture Practice
Rapture Practice
by Aaron Hartzler
Price: $17.99
74 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle, generous, powerful, May 6, 2013
This review is from: Rapture Practice (Hardcover)
A terrific title, and the book lives up to its promise. It really is a wonder--engaging, very funny, beautifully written and, in the end, as powerful as can be. What I loved about the book is that it feels true and heartfelt and, most of all, generous. As much as I felt for the uncertain kid that Hartzler once was, I also felt for that kid's parents, misdirected as they were. Anyhow, this book should get all the critical attention and prizes that it deserves.

The Answer to Your Question
The Answer to Your Question
by Paulette Bates Alden
Price: $13.50
21 used & new from $2.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Grabs hold, won't let go, March 20, 2013
To put it simply, The Answer to Your Question, grabbed hold and wouldn't let go. For starters, there were the sympathetic and complicated characters, but it also took hold because, like any old-fashioned page-turning sap, I really wanted to know what would happen next. I especially loved the way Ben kept turning up in places that shouldn't have been unexpected but were. And the conversation between Ben and his mother when he talks about imagining why the killer might've killed seemed incredibly potent and deft and, well, heartbreaking, which is saying something because sympathy for a killer doesn't come easy. I'd been worrying about that moment--or one like it--when it seemed to me the author had to face this capacity of his head on, and when she executed it so beautifully I just found myself sitting there marveling. And of course some part of my brain knew that all that target practice of Inga's meant that she was going to have to shoot at somebody, but I was still surprised at the way it played out.

Lego Star Wars III: the Clone Wars - Nintendo Wii
Lego Star Wars III: the Clone Wars - Nintendo Wii
Price: $18.20
119 used & new from $4.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Things You Can't Return, February 1, 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
My 12-year-old bought this with his Christmas money, and although we have the required operating system as listed on the back of the game (Mac OS X 10.6) and very fast Internet service, the game is so slow to load ("laggy," as my son puts it) that it's impossible to enjoy. As is always the case with software, you can't see if it works until you've installed it, and once you've opened the box and installed it, you can't return it. Funny how well that works out for the manufacturer!

Wilson Multi Sport Cage Net with Ball Return
Wilson Multi Sport Cage Net with Ball Return
Offered by My Quick Buy
Price: $54.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge Disappointment, January 30, 2013
My 12-year-old son put the Multi-Sport Cage Net on his Christmas list because he wants to practice his baseball skills every day, even when he can't find someone to play with. The assembly instructions were incorrect, stating that "the longer poles (red ones) are for the front, and the shorter poles (green ones) are for the back." The reverse was true, and following the rest of the instructions ("the red is for the front," etc) was thus confusing. We were reading the instructions and following them the best we could, but while following (and reversing) the instructions, a pole snapped. We can't return the net because his aunt bought it for him as a gift, and yet he never even got to try it.

Page: 1 | 2