Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for Dawn Castor > Reviews

Browse

Dawn Castor's Profile

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dawn Castor "Dawn" RSS Feed (Oklahoma)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Girl from Krakow: A Novel
The Girl from Krakow: A Novel
Price: $2.00

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this book, September 14, 2015
I really wanted to like this book, but it was long and took a long time to get into the story. And it was dreary--of course, it's a war book, but there were so few good things that happened to the characters (except for the most part they survived). And I didn't like any of the characters, even though they all had qualities I admire. I read the whole thing, thinking surely the next event in these people's lives would make me like them or at least care about them. There were also parts that were just pointless, and characters who went nowhere. Overall I just can't recommend this book. If you want a good WWII story, read books by Elizabeth Wein.

With Every Letter (Wings of the Nightingale Book #1): A Novel
With Every Letter (Wings of the Nightingale Book #1): A Novel
Price: $4.21

4.0 out of 5 stars I downloaded this because it was free and loved it so much I purchased the rest of the ..., June 23, 2015
I downloaded this because it was free and loved it so much I purchased the rest of the series. The story was fantastic and the information about World War II was so interesting, exciting and realistic but never horrifying.

Constant Heart, A
Constant Heart, A

5.0 out of 5 stars Mitchell is AWESOME, July 4, 2013
This review is from: Constant Heart, A (Kindle Edition)
I have enjoyed every book I have read by Siri Mitchell and this book does not fall short!! The story line was fabulous, historically educating and heart wrenching! Made me laugh and cry and cheer for the good guy and cheer for love!

TREASURE KILLS (Legends of Tsalagee Book 1)
TREASURE KILLS (Legends of Tsalagee Book 1)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, February 18, 2013
But it ended a little too soon. There a few typos but the story was fantastic. It contained mystery, murder, religion, food, romance, loaded weapons, Indian lore and a Sasquatch. All set in Oklahoma! I was on the edge of my seat with suspense but laughed at loud at some of the scenarios. Truman was spot on with Oklahoma colloquialisms. I'm ready to read more books by him!

Twas The Night Before Christmas: Edited By Santa Claus for the Benefit of Children of the 21st Century
Price: $3.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Edited Classic, November 12, 2012
This is an edited version of an old favorite and is illustrated, by Elena Almazova and Vitaly Shvarov. The subtitle, which is difficult to read in the picture provided, says "edited by Santa Claus for the benefit of children of the 21st century". The illustrators took the liberty to edit out the lines about Santa's pipe so they would not be promoting smoking. The ironic thing--there's tons of candy included--what about obesity? There is a roaring fire in the fireplace and all the candles in the house are still lit long after the family is in bed--what about fire hazards? There are wine glasses in a china cabinet--what about alcohol abuse? And on top of this, mom has cleavage.

I know these are picky points and the pictures are cute with a Disney-esque style, but there are hundreds of versions of this wonderful, classic poem. Don't waste your purchase on this one. Even if it is free.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2015 10:35 PM PDT

Evernote
Evernote
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Indespensible, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Evernote (App)
I love Evernote. The files are shared among all my devices (laptop, desktop, phone, ipad, kindle fire) so that all my notes are always available. I use it for lists, creative writing, work, saving web pages and lots more.

Prize of My Heart
Prize of My Heart
by Lisa Norato
Price: $11.68
119 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this Book!, April 28, 2012
This review is from: Prize of My Heart (Paperback)
Three years ago, at the height of the War of 1812, and just when he has been granted a Captaincy with his own ship, Captain Brogan Talvis's late wife informed him that she had abandoned their son Ben and refused to tell him where. Three years ago, Lorena Huntley and her shipbuilder father became the loving adopted caregivers for an orphaned child they knew as Drew.

Now the war is over and Brogan, once a penniless orphan, is a wealthy and powerful man of the sea. His relentless search for his son each time he is on land is at last successful when Brogan discovers him in the Huntley's care. He doesn't reveal his identity but instead commissions a ship from the Huntley shipyards and conspires to steal back the son he has longed to find. But first, he must win the trust of the Huntleys so that he can befriend the son who seems not to remember his father and eventually disappear onto the vast ocean with his precious child.

Brogan did not expect to find that the Huntleys had taken such good care of Drew and doted on him. He also did not anticipate finding Lorena so beautiful and appealing or her father such a wise and friendly man. And once he gains the family's trust, he certainly did not plan on giving up his freedom to rescue Lorena who has been kidnapped by a zealous suitor and forced to sail on a ship bound for England.

Brogan Talvis launches his new ship on her maiden voyage with his dream firmly in his grasp. His son, Ben, is at his side and he is sailing away. But he knows that he must find Lorena and confess that he is the boy's father. And he must confess that he has fallen in love with her.

Read Prize of My Heart by Lisa Norato for a thrilling tale of pirating, kidnapping, and derring-do on the high seas.

Thanks so much to Bethany House for sending this free review copy of this delightful Christian Historical Romance.

Bible
Bible
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Bible App, January 8, 2012
This review is from: Bible (App)
I highly recommend this app to everyone. The variety of Bible translations make it easy to read along with any pastor and follow with whichever version they prefer. I also love the ability to switch translations and compare the word use. My only criticism is that I cant always use it offline even though I have downloaded a version.

Mary's Son
Mary's Son

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, December 1, 2011
This review is from: Mary's Son (Kindle Edition)
This is a terrific read for anyone. Middle school-ers should love it. Love the bravado of the kids from "the Sink" and the brattyness of the poor little rich girl! The time travel scene is a tearjerker! Buy it for your kids and read it in a sitting for yourself! You won't be sorry.

Carrying Mason
Carrying Mason
by Joyce Magnin
Price: $14.99
50 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars It Was Just OK, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Carrying Mason (Hardcover)
If you can suspend reality while you read this novel you will like it better. 13 year old Luna goes to live with her best friends mom, Ruby Day, after the best friend is killed in an accident. Ruby Day is developmentally disabled and although she has a job at a grocery store, she is not able to live fully on her own. While visiting Ruby after Mason's funeral, Luna realizes that ruby needs help and with no family around to assist her, Luna decides to move in with her. Luna soon develops a routine with school, caring for Ruby Day and visiting her family. But soon Ruby Day's relatives come to take her away and place her in a home for the mentally incompetent and Lu a and Ruby Day have to fight for her right to live away from the home.

I found it unrealistic that Luna's parents allowed her to go live with someone else and be that person's caretaker at 13. Mason, the deceased son, was portrayed as remarkably smart, and competent for someone who had been raised solely by a mentally challenged person. The bad people in this novel were over the top--Aunt Sapphire reminded me of Cruella De Ville. I thought the names were odd choices for a novel set in 1958. And I kept thinking I was reading a Southern novel when it was in fact set in Pennsylvania. I'm not sure why I had that idea but another reviewer also mentioned that fact.

If Luna had been older, if there had been another adult in the dead Mason's life besides his handicapped mother and if this had been set in Georgia, perhaps I would have liked this novel more. I wanted to like it. I loved the premise of a handicapped woman being a moan character. I was reviewing an uncorrected proof and perhaps some of these issues were resolved for the final printing.

I received this novel free from Zondervan to review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3