Profile for Lancelot > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lancelot RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Reversible Scale
Reversible Scale
Offered by Carolina Biological Supply Company
Price: $17.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Photographic scale for small to medium objects..., November 27, 2014
This review is from: Reversible Scale
I am a photographer who, from time to time, takes pictures of small objects. For years, I used a quarter as a size reference for small things. Then I moved up to household rulers. Finally, I decided on professional archeological and forensic photographic scales.

I like this right-angle scale. It is white with black markings on one side and black with white marking on the reverse. It is a little smaller than I was expecting (12" on the long leg, 9" on the short), but works fine. Comes with Inch and Millimeter markings. Rather pricey, but I guess it is aimed at professionals who write off their expenses. Also, I didn't like that the manufacturer put their name prominently on their product. I don't mind them trying to do a little advertising, but it gave the impression that the pictures I was taking were being taken by the product manufacturer. So, I blocked their name out with tape.

I have a variety of scales that I use for photography. This one is currently the one I use the most...

Godzilla 2014 Capsule Figure - Male Winged MUTO
Godzilla 2014 Capsule Figure - Male Winged MUTO

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, November 27, 2014
Oh, my God! This thing is 2-1/4 inches tall! (Wingspan is 5".) I knew that for $9 ($12+ with shipping), I shouldn't expect a lot. There was no size reference on the Amazon page when I ordered it, but I was figuring maybe four or five inches. Maybe the term "Capsule Figure" is some kind of code that should have tipped me off. I am not familiar with the term and maybe it means something to collectors.

The figure arrived, unassembled, in a small bubble-wrap-padded mailing envelope. While the Amazon page states that the figure is "officially licensed," I could not immediately identify what I had ordered when I first opened it. The envelope did not contain an invoice or receipt.

The "MUTO" came in about 7 pieces in a completely unmarked clear plastic bag, which was divided into sections that held several parts each. I had to open the package and look closely at the parts to figure out that it was the "MUTO" I had ordered.

It was supposed to be a Christmas gift for my daughter, but it was so disappointing, I just handed it to her a month before Christmas. She loves the Godzilla movie and was delighted to have the figure. She quickly put it together and handed it to me to look at. The parts fit together somewhat loosely and probably cannot be played with without glueing it all together. The "MUTO" could not stand on its own. I may have been able to get it to stand if I bent the plastic appendages a bit, though the pieces threatened to fall apart if manipulated.

There was a small plastic device that came with the figure. It was the same brown color as the "MUTO." I couldn't determine what it was. Rectangular in side view, it was square on the ends, one end closed and the other end open. I thought maybe it was supposed to represent a skyscraper for the "MUTO" to threaten. But, my daughter figured out that she could put the "MUTO's" limbs inside it, though I don't know why. Maybe that is the "capsule"?

Okay, so what would have made this purchase more acceptable to me? First of all, some sort of size reference on the Amazon page would have been useful. Secondly, when I open the packaging for a delivery, I shouldn't have to try to figure out what it is. Some kind of professional packaging would have been nice, with a picture of the assembled "MUTO" and some writing like:

MALE WINGED M.U.T.O. ("MASSIVE UNIDENTIFIED TERRESTRIAL ORGANISM") Capsule Figure. FROM THE 2014 LEGENDARY PICTURES HIT MOVIE "GODZILLA"! Officially Licensed Product. Some assembly required. Warning: Contains Small Parts. Choking Hazard. Not for Children Under Three. Made in (whatever country).

So, I generally try not to write harsh reviews. If I receive a product that I ordered and it comes "as described," I will give it five stars, because I got what they said I'd get. Even if I am disappointed in the product, I will take my lumps for not having read the product description or the user reviews carefully enough. But this figure had little information on the Amazon page and NO information on the product when it was received. Having said all this, my daughter likes it...

At the time that I wrote this, there were no other user reviews on this figure. I would be happy to see additional reviews that either confirm or deny my experience. Maybe the seller will make changes to the Amazon page and/or their packaging as a result of this review and others will not be so disappointed...

Baby Tooth Album Organizer
Baby Tooth Album Organizer
Offered by birkenberry
Price: $8.50
6 used & new from $8.50

4.0 out of 5 stars This product is a great idea. It seems like something someone should have ..., October 11, 2014
Rather cheaply made, but does the job. Organizer has indentations in thin plastic to deposit the teeth in. There is a clear, rotating cover with a hole in it that you can rotate over each of the indentations, so that you can place a tooth in one of the indentations. Rotation the clear cover to a blank space keeps the teeth from falling out. The indentations are arranged so that each tooth can be placed in a relative position to where it had been in the child's mouth. So, you can tell at a glance that one tooth had been a top, left incisor and another a bottom right molar. There is a small, corresponding card included where you can write the dates each tooth was lost. This product is a great idea. It seems like something someone should have thought of, which is why I was looking for something like this in the first place. I was surprised this was the only one of its kind. I gave it four instead of five stars because I would have liked it to be more durable and to have the spaces for writing when a tooth was lost next to the teeth and not on a separate card. But, I'm glad that I bought it, because my daughter's baby teeth were scattered in different containers in a drawer, with a high probability that one or more would eventually get lost. Now, they're are all safely in one place.

Arri Softbank IV Plus 5 Light Kit, 120V AC, 2-150W Frensels, 1- 300W Fresnel, 1- 650W Fresnel, 24x32" Softbox

5.0 out of 5 stars The included light stands are sturdy. The case has two wheels on one end, October 9, 2014
Very flexible lighting kit. I've had this kit for almost 10 years now. The kit provides a selection of fresnel lights as well as a 1K open face light that can be used with barn doors or a soft box (included). The basic kit is very complete, the one I got even came with an extension cord, spare bulbs and leather gloves (so you don't get burned handling hot lights). The included light stands are sturdy. The case has two wheels on one end, to make it a little easier to maneuver the kit around. There's more light power here (2250 watts) than you can run off a typical wall outlet, so I would recommend getting some additional extension cords, so that you can spread the lights over several circuits. A power strip might come in handy. I made myself some dimming switches, which gave me more control over the light output. I also added some color gels and diffusion material, gaff tape and sand bags. If you are looking at a light kit of this caliber, you probably already have a number of these "extras." The case the lights come in is rather crowded, so it you are going to bring extras to your shoot, you will probably have to find something else to put them in. The one downside of this kit is that "hot" lights seem to be falling out of favor, as cooler, less energy-hungry fluorescent and L.E.D. lights hit the market.

Uniden Handheld TrunkTracker III Analog Police Scanner (BC346XT)
Uniden Handheld TrunkTracker III Analog Police Scanner (BC346XT)
Offered by TigerDirect, Inc.
Price: $229.99
10 used & new from $203.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a good radio, October 7, 2014
Seems like a good radio. Learning how to use it could be a hobby unto itself. Have read many reviews of people complaining of difficulty programming and using this radio. Documentation that comes with the unit is poor/non-existant. No printed user manual and I don't have a computer at the moment with a DVD drive to play the disk that comes with it. Programming is tedious by hand and I've read that programming with an Apple/Mac is difficult or impossible. Others have said that programming is a breeze with a PC computer and some freeware.

Still, I'm willing to spend time on it. There is information on programming and using this scanner available from 3rd party on the Internet, so if you're willing to do some research it might be worth it.

I almost bought the BC346XTC. But then I found out the "XTC" is the same as the "XT," but minus rechargable batteries and minus an in-unit charging capability. Apparently the "C" stands for "California" and Uniden modified the scanner to accomodate some loony California legislation (can't imagine why rechargable batteries and in-unit charging would upset anyone, but hey...California).

Unit is compact and easy to carry. Power switch is a button (I would prefer an on-off/volume knob). Rubber ducky antenna works well enough for me, but some have said there are better antennas that you can get for it. I also got a mag-mount mobile antenna for when I'm on the road. All the metal around a car shields the scanner from picking up all but the strongest signals.

Volume and speaker are good. I'm listening to the unit it the next room while working on the computer.

Charge time for the batteries inside the unit seems quite long. I took the batteries out and charged them on an external charger and they charged in far less time. Unfortunately, the unit runs on 3 batteries, which makes it difficult to juggle with a two or four battery charger that won't work if you try to charge one or three batteries at a time.

Anyway, I'm still in the early stages of learning to use it. I think that it will be fully satisfying as I become more proficient with it. This was the most expensive scanner I could afford and I bought it because of the wide range of frequencies accessible to it.

Two-Way Radios and Scanners For Dummies
Two-Way Radios and Scanners For Dummies
by H. Ward Silver
Price: $19.12
76 used & new from $2.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice introductory book to using two way radios and multi-band ..., October 7, 2014
Nice introductory book to using two way radios and multi-band frequency scanners. Covers CB, Ham/Amateur, FRS and GMRS, Business, Aircraft and Marine Band radios. Good starting point if you are new to radio in general or just certain bands that you haven't had experience in yet.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
DVD ~ Ben Stiller
Price: $9.49
16 used & new from $7.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful photography. A sweet little story about a man ..., October 7, 2014
Rented this movie on Redbox and decided I had to have it in my DVD collection. Beautiful photography. A sweet little story about a man living in a daydream world who is compelled by events to overcome adversity and his own limitations.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows
Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows
Price: $11.88
39 used & new from $5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this music, October 7, 2014
Love this music! Very forceful. I've only recently started collecting soundtrack albums. Some soundtracks sound fine with the movie, but disappoint when played alone. This one holds up very well to standalone listening. But then, its Hans Zimmer, who has a solid record of memorable soundtracks. My daughter plays this album over and over...

LEGO Hero Factory 44024 TUNNELER Beast vs. Surge Model Kit
LEGO Hero Factory 44024 TUNNELER Beast vs. Surge Model Kit
Offered by miraclelot
Price: $18.25
28 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars She seemed happy with it, October 7, 2014
Bought it for my daughter. She seemed happy with it. Apparently, not terribly complicated. She finished it in less than an hour.

Robocop (2014)
Robocop (2014)
DVD
Price: $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Why did they make this again...?, July 8, 2014
My young daughter likes this movie, more than the original. Probably because the violence level isn't that of the original. Oh, and Jay Baruchel's appearance in the film...

For myself, I'm not sure why they made this movie. Did they have something to say that wasn't covered in the original? Not that I could tell. Could they cash in on the success of the origianl? Probably. I'm giving it 3 stars because the movie looked like everyone involved showed up for work. I always give credit for a professional looking production. But, I doubt that this will be a classic. In 25 years, when someone is asked, "Wasn't 'Robocop' a cool movie?" this won't be the one they're thinking of when they say, "Yeah!"

So, buy it. Watch it. Add it to your collection. And forget about it. Especially if you already have the original on your shelf...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4