Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Profile for Richard J. Schiro > Reviews

Browse

Richard J. Schiro's Profile

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Richard J. Schiro RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Healing with Qualities: The Essence of Time Therapy
Healing with Qualities: The Essence of Time Therapy
by Manuel Schoch
Price: $17.95
42 used & new from $0.49

5.0 out of 5 stars My end to "seeking", September 23, 2014
Call it right timing or the revelatory lynchpin of all literature on personal growth I've explored in over 40 years..With Byron Katie's THE WORK as an ongoing practice of 5 years,this brilliant illuminating work on "waking up" and stepping out of "acquired knowledge" which can NEVER enlighten,Mr. Schoch has brought to the table the addressing of TRUTH beyond all religions and schools of thought,simply due to that THOUGHT itself is a dead end...I had skimmed over this book several months ago recommended to me by my eldest son...At that time,very little was understood..but a recent personal crisis that stripped my soul of all illusions and attachments brought this book to mind again..THIS TIME the LIGHT is seen! Indeed,we all need to "die" continually to what we "know" and remain still within to experience that which is our true nature in an unending process of deep creativity and fullfilment...
I could never give this masterpiece it's full due!

A Life of Barbara Stanwyck: Steel-True 1907-1940
A Life of Barbara Stanwyck: Steel-True 1907-1940
by Victoria Wilson
Price: $28.77
123 used & new from $1.35

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest finally gets her due!, November 29, 2013
AWESOME accomplishment! FINALLY,an in depth,rich and fleshed out bio of whom MANY feel,myself included,was the greatest actress in film history..Ms. Stanwyck,to my mind is the ONLY actress who lived each and every moment in her work as she was feeling the scene for the first time...Ms. Wilson gives us exhaustive insight into what led up to those electrifying performances..the hurt,passion,anger and honesty that,in my opinion we have yet to see in equal measure anywhere,although there are a few who come close(Bette Davis,Meryl Streep and Katharine Hepburn)..from other reviews,I find it nit picky about repetition in the book..I could not come across anything that was remotely repetitive...The rich canvas of Ms. Stanwyck's world around and up close was
telling about the times as well as herself..I found it annoying that there are those who had to make an issue of her frailties,weaknesses( her lacking warmth and understanding as a parent,sudden dismissal of old friends)..these seem to not figure heavily against the kindnesses she showed those she worked with and her quiet help in charities,the overall praise of directors and actors alike...As for too long a book,it seemed as if I blinked a few times and then was done with almost 900 pages of Stanwyck's life up to 1940 that leaves me impatiently waiting for the 2nd volume...Please,Ms. Wilson! Don't take ANOTHER 15 years to finish it!

Barbara Stanwyck: The Miracle Woman (Hollywood Legends Series)
Barbara Stanwyck: The Miracle Woman (Hollywood Legends Series)
by Dan Callahan
Price: $27.11
55 used & new from $4.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Callahan on Stanwyck:enough innuendos!, March 5, 2012
Whille I was impressed with the detailed work of Mr. Callahan on one of my 2 favorites(Meryl Streep the other)..if Mr. Callahan is as young as he implies then he is no doubt a product of today's views and LACK of romance/innocence...I'm no prude,but it seems that EVERY SINGLE FILM he comments on MUST have a hidden sexual connotation to it...GOOD GOD!!! Is that ALL he sees???? He doesn't seem to have lived long enough or without idealism of yore...but in some of his comments on Ms. Stanwyck's films,some which are considered top level quality(Sorry,Wrong Number,Ball of Fire) he seems to take on an arrogant air of slashing the overall quality in these films to being less than a B film..
I wonder what Ms. Stanwyck would have said had she read this man's cut and dried,limited scope on so many of her films/performances that simply are coldly dismissed...and yet he's supposedly a great admirer of her....and not ALL films are hidden messages of sexual reference!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2016 8:38 AM PDT

Imitation of Life (1934/1959)
Imitation of Life (1934/1959)
DVD ~ Lana Turner
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $14.36
33 used & new from $2.84

4.0 out of 5 stars imitation of life 1934/1959 pluses and minuses, August 14, 2011
Having seen BOTH versions repeatedly over many years,for me the observations can still be
condensed into what I believe are very concise conclusions...
Pluses: BOTH versions had very solid story lines/plot developments...
In 1934: BOTH Louise Beavers AND Fredi Washington delivered honest and powerful performances..
in 1959: LANA TURNER by far had more impact in her emotional conviction throughout MOST notably when
Annie dies...Juanita Moore ALMOST matches Ms. Beavers in her conviction,but there are moments when she dips into some stagey melodrama that loses the emotional truth..BUT only a few!
Rochelle Hudson in 1934 kept her performance simple and understated ..
MINUSES:
Although Claudette Colbert overall is a fine actress,she loses her strength and honesty in what should have been the MOST INTENSE...Delilah's death...whereas she seems upset,but not devastated,Lana Turner simply goes to pieces brilliantly..
SUSAN KOHNER:: some fine acting moments here and there,but didn't succeed in conveying the inner conflict/torment that Fredi Washington LIVED...

Family - The Complete First and Second Seasons
Family - The Complete First and Second Seasons
DVD ~ James Broderick
9 used & new from $189.74

5.0 out of 5 stars YES!!! EXCELLENCE IS BACK!!, September 7, 2006
YES!!! BRAVO!!! 5 star PLUS shows have not been buried under quick $$ making releases that barely deserve 2 stars...Every show is a gem..watch Sada Thompson break your heart with uttering one word to her son Willie in "Monday is Forever"..she only says 'Please!'...in that one word is such depth,pain and love over possible cancer fears and Willie wanting to comfort her as she asks to hold off for fear of breaking apart...moments like this are abundant in this illustrious shows' too brief four seasons...ONLY RELEASE the rest of this show ASAP!! I don't think I could handle waiting for the rest with the great Ms. Thompson's powerful subtlety !! The entire Lawrence cast(McNichol,Frank,etc)is an ensemble of poetic measures...2010: Jeez! YEARS have gone by and STILL no seasons 3-5...
SONY..you are CRUEL CRUEL CRUEL!!!!

Big Valley - Season 1
Big Valley - Season 1
DVD ~ Richard Long
Price: $9.96
77 used & new from $2.64

5.0 out of 5 stars The Big Valley,The Great Miss Stanwyck,The Outstanding Show..AT LAST!!!!!, April 18, 2006
This review is from: Big Valley - Season 1 (DVD)
I always had a pleasant little spot in my heart for westerns...gentle,not overly zealous,but a warm fuzzy nostalgic presence nearby...EXCEPT for The Big Valley! A dynamic,energized and powerful show capped with the irreplaceable Barbara Stanwyck.Bonanza may have had more seasons,but Big Valley had more punch,impact and razor sharp intensity than all the years of Bonanza combined.
GET THOSE OTHER THREE SEASONS OUT PRONTO!!!!!!!!!!

Adventures of Superman: Season 1
Adventures of Superman: Season 1
DVD ~ George Reeves
Price: $9.96
42 used & new from $3.87

5.0 out of 5 stars BRAVO! Waking up at last!, October 7, 2005
BRAVO to the "young whippersnappers" in the film industry...SUPERMAN is the hope for us baby boomers that SOON(before we kick the bucket!)you'll release ALL the vintage heritage TV classics that should have been released in the first place!

A Paper Life
A Paper Life
by Tatum O'Neal
276 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank U Ms. O'Neal! I guess I Am a good father, September 23, 2005
This review is from: A Paper Life (Hardcover)
To Ms. Tatum O'Neal:

THANK YOU! Thank U beyond words to make your statement about life,love and abuse...I too had my own history,though not as visibly apparent as your's.My sad upbringing taught me what NOT to do as a parent...Being a single father with 2 fully grown MAGNIFICENT Sons has ALWAYS been my sole aim in life..to give them love,security and SANITY..Your intense book helped me to realize that I'm a better parent than I ever acknowledged...Bless You and ALL good wishes in your life...

R S

Eleanor & Franklin - The Early Years
Eleanor & Franklin - The Early Years
DVD ~ Jane Alexander
16 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Eleanor and Franklin:The White House Years, September 12, 2005
WHERE OH WHERE is the White House Years on DVD??? I simply am at a loss to understand why the 1977 follow-up is not as yet

on DVD...slightly Coo-Coo!

Guy Williams: The Man Behind the Mask
Guy Williams: The Man Behind the Mask
by Antoinette Girgenti Lane
Price: $32.95
55 used & new from $22.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Mom,my ultimate gift 2 U, June 23, 2005
This MUST B FATE!!...My DEAR 82 yr old mother LIVES/LOVES Guy Williams in Zorro...I could never imagine in my WILDEST dreams that there could be a book on Mr. Williams...I HOPE & PRAY that this book will be one of the real treasures in her life before she "moves on" to other locations...She has a COLOR wood framed 8 by 10 portrait of Mr.Williams on her dresser..My sister & I will have it buried with her when she "moves on"..
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2015 11:14 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2