Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (California gold country)

Functional & Funded: The Inside-Out Strategy for Developing Your Nonprofit's Resources
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Anti Funding for Dummies: The slow and successful way to funding that works...., August 20, 2015
Almost 20 years ago I decided that I wanted to take a stab at writing grants (grant proposals) for a living. I was extremely lucky to attend a training with Harvey Chess. His class blew away my concept of what proposal writing would look like, and led me on a much more fulfilling, productive and successful path. Reading this book I realized where the concepts I had come to think of as my own had originated--and where I could do well to get back on track with his approaches.

Harvey notes how organizations tend to think of fund development and pursuit of grants as something separate from the ongoing work of the organization. Instead, Harvey makes the case for how to embed this work into the thinking, planning and evaluating done by an organization. He encourages you to focus first on your clients and how their lives can be improved. He stresses the importance of ongoing contemplation of what would be valuable and how to align your work to achieve those client outcomes.

As the title of his book suggests--his approach is truly an inside-out strategy for finding funds. You look for the right funding AFTER you have determined what programs really align with your mission and understand how your clients will benefit.

I have been writing grant proposals for my school district and community since I took his class years ago (plus a couple of refresher sessions with him). Every grant has started with deep conversations both with the intended clients (lots of conversations with our youth!) and the people in the organizations who will implement the plan in the proposal. I write from a place of cellular-level understanding and passion about improving lives, and with the confidence that what we are proposing can be accomplished and will make a difference.

There are many positive things I can say about this approach. I have brought well over 10 million dollars into a community of about 12,000 people over the years. Because my community is small, I can point to changes in the culture and processes of the school district and community because of what was funded (and of course the fabulous people who have done the work). I can tell you about young people whose lives were transformed.

It is deeply satisfying to feel like an integral part of successful change strategies. Harvey's book can begin that process for an organization. His book was a slow read for me even after living much of his philosophy, because with every paragraph I was drawn into more contemplation of the way I do my work.

Time well spent....

Supernormal: Science, Yoga, and the Evidence for Extraordinary Psychic Abilities
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars This book has a lot of good content, but I could never give it to ..., April 4, 2015
I have been looking for a book that I could give to friends who are "freethinkers" to open their minds to some of the new research being done that explores the powers of the mind, the concept of consciousness preceeding matter and so forth. This book has a lot of good content, but I could never give it to someone who puts their faith in science. It is very poorly edited in general. And it redundantly, and I mean very redundantly, attacks the scientific community. I hope someone helps the author put out a revised edition.

A Lamp in the Darkness: Illuminating the Path Through Difficult Times
A Lamp in the Darkness: Illuminating the Path Through Difficult Times
by Jack Kornfield
56 used & new from $2.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing from the Death of my Husband, May 10, 2012
This book--and even more so the recorded guided meditations-- has provided the healing words I have needed to navigate the death of the love of my life. The meditations on compassion and forgiveness have been particularly helpful. Even though my husband and I did a very good job of keeping up with our relationship issues--I have still had feelings of failure to process. Kornfield's words and voice have sped up my healing process enormously. A quick warning...the Kindle version does not have the recording and to me, the recording is 90% of the package. I ended up buying both the book with the recording and the Kindle version.

Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything
Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything
by Geneen Roth
1096 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If this book fits you, it could change your life, November 4, 2010
My husband and I have been struggling with weight for decades. He read this book to me and we both started following what the author said to do--the highlight being, "be present while you eat." In about a couple of months, he has lost almost 30 pounds and I have lost about 10. Without feeling deprived or crazy. This way of eating feels totally sustainable; I will not stop eating this way when I have lost enough weight to be more healthy.

I was familiar with a lot of things she said, and had most of the tools I needed in my mental toolkit. The author put these familiar things together in a holistic and credible way. For both my husband and myself, the reframe on how to eat was both simple and miraculous. For someone new to things like, for example, self observation -- I can imagine her suggestions could be very difficult to implement.

Also, I can imagine that a person looking for a Christian approach rather than a spiritual approach would not like this book.

For me, I will be eternally grateful for this new way of being with food.

Sleep Pretty in Pink Women's Ear Plugs, 14-Pair (Pack of 3)
Sleep Pretty in Pink Women's Ear Plugs, 14-Pair (Pack of 3)
Offered by Green Web Inc
Price: $11.64
10 used & new from $9.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for sleep and concerts, December 17, 2009
As one of the other reviewers said, this blocks out some but no all noise. For example, my spouse's snoring is very subdued and I don't hear the rainstorm, the heater blower or the refrigerator. I usually can carry out a conversation with him without taking out an earplug--but not always. At the American Idol concert, the plugs filtered out the constant roar of the crowd, but I could hear the singers just fine. (I do not know whether or not a doctor would recommend these earplugs for concerts, but my experience was good.)

With practice, I can now put them in with one hand and get them firmly in place. I put one in an ear, flatten it against my ear with one thumb and then slide it in while keeping it flattened by index finger. Sounds harder than it is!

waterBOB Emergency Drinking Water Storage (100 Gallons)
waterBOB Emergency Drinking Water Storage (100 Gallons)
Price: $22.90
30 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant idea for emergency water storage, August 8, 2008
I cannot tell you that I have tested this product because it will only be used in an emergency, but I was thrilled to add it to my emergency supplies. I have done a fair amount of research on how to store water for the kind of emergency where you have reason to believe that public services could be disrupted for weeks at a time--such as an avian flu epidemic. So if I am asked to shelter in place for such an epidemic, I will immediately put the Waterbob into use.

I will also be filling some 55 gallon drums with water for long term storage, but it is much more difficult and expensive to get drums ready for storage (I purchased second hand drums that need to be cleaned, but new ones were cost prohibitive because of the cost of shipping).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2010 5:14 PM PDT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars if you are an insomniac, give this a try, July 4, 2008
If you have trouble sleeping, this is a good product to try. I have chronic insomnia that has gone on for years, decades. I find that my best stragegy is to switch between products ... and this one is now in my repetoire.

I have found that on the "morning afterward" this product can make me feel really groggy. However, I have also seen that the condition is very temporary--once I commit to functioning the gogginess is gone.

LARABAR Fruit & Nut Food Bar, Ginger Snap, Gluten Free (Pack of 16)
LARABAR Fruit & Nut Food Bar, Ginger Snap, Gluten Free (Pack of 16)

5.0 out of 5 stars yummy!, July 4, 2008
I am a fan of Larabars in general, and this is a really good variety! I keep Larabars in my purse, etc. for breakfast, snacks, etc. I have used other food bars, but Larabars are my favorite. I also like the lemon, apple pie and the chocolate varieties. These are real food!

Damage
Damage
by A. M. Jenkins
67 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Damaging information??, April 25, 2003
This review is from: Damage (Paperback)
I look for books that can be given or read to students that will help them understand their issues -- for self-understanding and hope. I thought that this book did a good job of describing depression. However, in this book the young man's problems miraculously disappeared practically overnight as the result of breaking up with a girl (and she wasn't the initial cause of the depression). I would want a youth with such severe depression to get professional help.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2011 6:05 AM PST

Fundraising for Social Change
Fundraising for Social Change
by Kim Klein
19 used & new from $0.41

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE starter book for fundraisers, September 1, 2001
This book covers all types of fundraising--events, direct mail, phon-a-thons, personal requests and more. There is more than enough information on each of these topics to help you implement the strategy. She helps you to visualize your fundraising efforts within the entire context of your organization and over the years you will be in your community. Further, she reframes fundraising to help you understand that you are not "pitiful beggars" plaguing people with your requests for help, but actually helping people to make meaningful contributions to their community. I purchased several books on fundraising that turned out to be mistakes--and books on fundraising are not cheap. This book saved our organization its price within seconds of its purchase.