Profile for M. M. Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. M. Johnson RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Puffer Ball - Dolphin
Puffer Ball - Dolphin
Offered by Office_Playground
Price: $3.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cute!, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Puffer Ball - Dolphin (Toy)
These are super cute and if you order more than one the seller will send multiple colors. Have a bit of a scent to them, but I've found all puffer balls seem to.

Shipping is combined so if you buy more than one it doesn't go up. I got five as small gifts for friends and they are a delight. They have a small flat spot on the bottom so they sit on a desk looking up. Fun!

Elegant Home Fashions Rain Collection Wall Cabinet with 2 Glass Door
Elegant Home Fashions Rain Collection Wall Cabinet with 2 Glass Door

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great!, March 12, 2014
I wanted a medicine cabinet type thing for over my toilet and looked around a bit before I settled on this one. I really wanted something white - to match the paint scheme - and with a glass front, because I like that style. I love the look of this glass. You can still see there are things inside but not exactly what, so if you have guests over they'd have to actually open the cabinet to snoop on your prescriptions. ;)

It was very easy to put together. The only issue I had was one of the metal plates that helps keep the door closed - it uses a typical magnetic closing feature - wasn't quite reaching the magnet. I used a small washer to add just a little height to the metal plate and everything looks fine now.

Shipped pretty quickly and was packed securely. Very happy with my purchase.

Wonka Sweetarts Xmas Candy Canes, 6.0-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)
Wonka Sweetarts Xmas Candy Canes, 6.0-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite, but decent, March 12, 2014
I like candy canes and I like Sweetarts. I was hoping these would be a nice mix of the two.

Pros:

- Nice and tart flavors. If you like Sweetarts you'll probably enjoy these. Obviously they don't have the same texture as a Sweetart and the flavor is not exact, but it's still a sweet and tart candy cane.

- Really attractive. If you are looking for a bright, colorful addition to your tree as opposed to the typical red and white, these are a good choice. The colors are very bold.

Cons:

- Multiple flavors. This could be a pro for you, I don't know. But I found there was really only one flavor I really enjoyed in these, which means there are a lot of candy canes I just won't eat. I knew that it could be hit or miss when I ordered, but I took the risk.

- 6 boxes. Now I have even more candy canes I won't eat. :) Works out because the flavors I don't eat, others like. But you may want to get a box at Christmas to try them before you invest in 6 boxes. The price is good on Amazon though.

- Shipping issues. Candy canes are fragile things it seems. About half the boxes had some broken canes in them. I don't mind, but I know some people, particularly if they are using them to adorn trees or presents, would have issues with this.

Wonka Original Spree Christmas Candy Canes, 12-Count Boxes (Pack of 6)
Wonka Original Spree Christmas Candy Canes, 12-Count Boxes (Pack of 6)
Offered by Davidsdealsoftheday
Price: $34.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice tart candy cane, March 12, 2014
I like candy canes and I like Spree. I was hoping this would be a mix of the two. Here's my breakdown of these candy canes.

Pros:

- All one flavor. One of the problems with some specialty candy canes is they come in a variety of flavors. What seems like a plus at first always ends up being a downside for me because inevitably there is at least one flavor I really don't like and I'm stuck with. This isn't a problem with these.

- Nicely tart without being too tart. I tried the Warheads candy canes and I'm guessing the citric acid in them to up the tart ante is quite high because my mouth can feel a bit sore afterwards. These are tart, but not too tart.

- A little extra kick in the center. I like flavor changing things. That's one of the reasons I like Spree or Everlasting Gobstoppers (which reminds me, I need to look up Gobstopper candy canes!) These have a center that's a little different from the outer layer

Cons

- They do not taste like Spree. I would describe Spree as a sugar shell around a Sweet Tart. These aren't that. They aren't bad, but they aren't like Spree. If you were hoping for a giant Spree, look elsewhere.

- 6 Boxes. If you are unsure of whether or not you'll like these, don't order this set. 6 Boxes is a lot of candy canes to go through, especially as they are all one flavor. Find a box around Christmastime and try them that way.

- Shipping issues. They are candy canes, and for some reason despite the packaging they often come with some broken. As long as the plastic is intact, this doesn't bother me, but it might be an issue for some.

Yankee Traders Everything Sesame Sticks, 2 Pound
Yankee Traders Everything Sesame Sticks, 2 Pound
Price: $14.71
3 used & new from $10.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpowering onion, March 12, 2014
I did like these, but not as much as I thought I would. I love everything bagels, so I was looking for something that might have a similar added flavor. Unfortunately, the onion is so strong it overpowers most of the other flavors. Maybe it's just that "everything" doesn't work quite so well with sesame sticks?

Other than that, they were packed well, fresh and crunchy. I didn't feel I wasted my money, I was just anticipating something a little different.

Herr's - JALAPENO POPPER CHEESE CURLS, Pack of 42 bags
Herr's - JALAPENO POPPER CHEESE CURLS, Pack of 42 bags
Offered by Tal Depot
Price: $24.00
2 used & new from $14.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Cheddar Jalapeno Cheetos, with more kick, March 12, 2014
Obviously taste is highly subjective, so I'll start by describing how it tastes compared to something perhaps a bit more readily available. If you like cheetos, as I do, you've probably tried the Cheddar Jalapeno flavored ones. These have a very similar taste to those, only there seems to be a lot more jalapeno on these. And of course, they are curls instead of what I call affectionately, the turd style cheeto.

The bag size is pretty decent, probably 12-16 puffs in each bag. A good serving size if you are working on portion control. It's a nice, spicy treat to add to your lunch or as an afternoon snack.

It shipped pretty quickly and everything was intact. No broken curls for me.

Tandoor Chef Chicken Tikka Masala, 10-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)
Tandoor Chef Chicken Tikka Masala, 10-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)
Price: $59.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent alternative to dining out, June 6, 2012
First of all, I'd like to note I did get the item described. There was no rice in my frozen dinners. I read some of the other reviews and was a little concerned, but it turned out okay.

Shipping evaluation: I was hesitant to buy this item because frozen foods can be tricky when shipped. It gets very hot here in the summer, 90+ degrees is typical in the months of June through August, and is not unusual in May to get above 90. It had been in the mid nineties when I ordered this, so I made sure to be here when it was due to arrive. It didn't ship right away, but once I got the shipment notification it was here the next day. It ships in an insulated Styrofoam container with dry ice. It was quite frozen when I fetched it off my porch, but I picked it up within minutes of it's arrival. I can't say how it would have stood up on a 95 degree day for more than 7 hours out there, but grabbing it right away kept it nice and cold. I wouldn't worry about that at all during the Fall, Winter and early Spring months. Very nicely packed, and once shipped, very speedy.

Meal evaluation: I used to live in the Detroit area and had many options for Indian food both in restaurants and shopping. Of the prepackaged stuff that requires no cooking, this is one of the best. The flavors are right, and the meat is generally good. In this one, the chicken for the most part is nice white pieces of meat. I've only ever had one of these that has a fattier dark piece of meat in it, and I've eaten quite a few over the years. Some people would say it's better than restaurants, I would say it's the best non-restaurant Indian I've eaten. I've had a dish called Butter Chicken that is similar to this tikka. Some of the tikkas I've had were a bit heavier on the spices, and this is actually fairly mild spice-wise. It is definitely enough for two people for dinner, and is not too bad calorie-wise. I've had it both on plain rice and Basmati rice. It really is better on the Basmati rice, as that rice cooks a little dryer and has a more complimentary flavor.

Price Evaluation: I've purchased this at several places. Unless you are lucky enough to live near a discount ethnic food place like a Global Foods Market or a Trader Joe's, this price ($4.75 a dinner) is actually pretty good. I've been to Indian grocers that charge more than this, and in the ethnic food isles at the general grocery store it tends to be about 10-20% more than this price. So it's definitely worth it if you don't mind 12 boxes taking up your freezer space.

Marie Callender's  Home-Style Creations Creamy Parmesan Chicken, 6.95 Ounce Packages (Pack of 6)
Marie Callender's Home-Style Creations Creamy Parmesan Chicken, 6.95 Ounce Packages (Pack of 6)

3.0 out of 5 stars A review on quality, not flavor, March 6, 2012
Because taste is so individual, I'm not going to bother reviewing based on that. I'll only say it was satisfactory for a $2 ($2.50 here on Amazon) meal. What more can I expect at that price?

Instead I'm going to focus on the ease of making and quality of the ingredients.

I bought mine at the store to try, I'd suggest that before you buy the six pack here. It comes with the sauce separate from the pasta. You simply boil the pasta in the microwave and drain the water with the included straining lid. Pretty nice design and 3 and a half minutes later you have lunch. The pasta cooked very well.

The sauce packet is plentiful. In fact, I found there was a bit too much sauce for me, but it's easy enough not to use the whole thing. There was plenty of chicken and it was all white meat - important to me. Not much of the other ingredients, I think there were two mushrooms in mine. (BTW, those are easy to spot and pick out if you don't like them. I mention this because my brother does not like mushrooms and I figure he's not the only one.) I do expect if I kept eating these eventually I would get one with unappetizing gristle. It just happens from time to time.

Originally I picked this up because it is much more convenient than having a frozen meal to take to work and have to fight for space in the communal fridge. Also, these can be stored in my pantry instead of the limited space in my freezer. And no freezer burn if I forget them a few weeks too long, so all pluses.

On the downside, it's quite a few calories for what you get. The Parmesan Chicken meal is almost 500 calories, which if you are counting that type of thing, is a lot compared to some other frozen meals or canned meals you could eat instead. However, this calorie count is typical for Marie Calendar products. I'm going to check out the Healthy Choice one next, as it runs closer to 300 calories but has the same convenience of not having to be refrigerated.

Should the Healthy Choice prove not as appetizing, I would certainly buy these again. For now, I'll opt for something slightly healthier calorie-wise.

4' Ultra 800 HDmi Video Cable (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
4' Ultra 800 HDmi Video Cable (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Fast Bargains
Price: $13.94
7 used & new from $8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, cheaper cables work fine, but..., August 1, 2009
I will agree that Monster has a gimmick. They have a flashy website that touts all these reasons why their cable is superior to other cables. I don't really believe all that, and my husband and I have owned more than our fair share of Monster products and generic products. For the record, we own every gaming system, have our PC connected to our 1080p plasma T.V., an expensive receiver and Direct TV.

So why did I still buy 6 of these cables? 1 reason only, and it is why I am posting because I think for some people out there it might be helpful. You see, we have cats. And every now and then we try to turn on one of our gaming systems, and alas, it does not work. We check everything and eventually pull up those nice generic cables we bought, the ones that apparently have the irresistible soft rubber casing. We find little bite marks all around them and immediately know the cable is toast. So we have switched all our cables over to these particular Monster ones because they come encased in a metal (or metal like I can't be sure) mesh that the cats either can't chew though, or don't chew through. Not all Monster cables come with this mesh, so be careful before you buy. I can imagine if you have rascally pets that this may be a problem for you. If so, yo may want to invest either in these protected Monster cables, or extra generics.

It still only gets four stars though, because Monster is overcharging for this product. I understand it cost more to make a thicker cable, but come on, some of the generics are selling for less than $10 now. FYI, because the cable is so thick, it isn't particularly flexible, so you may need to buy a longer one if you need to get it around stuff.

Hasbro Games Monopoly Deal Card Game
Hasbro Games Monopoly Deal Card Game
Offered by TOYING
Price: $14.95
55 used & new from $12.48

4.0 out of 5 stars They fixed Monopoly!, July 20, 2009
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
I'm not really going to talk much about the specifics of the game play, as other reviewers have already done that quite adequately. But I will say I generally disliked playing Monopoly the "bored" game. It was too long and seemed far too based on luck for my tastes. The card game is also luck based, to be sure, but I find that it has added some much needed strategy to the game. Deciding when the best moment to charge rent, place properties and steal properties can make an seemingly uneven game turn around quickly. It is rare for such a turnaround in a regular Monopoly game; if someone gets good rolls of the dice and hits all properties the first few times around the board, there aren't many built in ways to catch up. Also, the end game in regular Monopoly is so dreadful. Two people with hotels on several sets of properties trading cash back and forth while the other players have to go amuse themselves with something else. This doesn't happen in the card game as you are never out; there is always a chance you can get back in the game. One other bonus with the card game is it can actually be player by two players, something you can't really do with the board game.

My only beef with this game is the quality of the cards. I was really disappointed that the cards are just cheap, glossy, paper cards. I would expect for the price they charge for this game to have a higher quality card. In fact, I'm on Amazon right now looking for a deluxe set to buy hoping the cards will be more durable. I knock 1 star off for that, since I think we are going to wear out the cards too fast. But that should tell you how fun the game is that we actually play it that much!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2011 7:13 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2