Profile for Bucksix > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bucksix RSS Feed (Anaheim CA, Home of the world champ ANGELS)

Jazz Giants 58
Jazz Giants 58
Price: $9.99
50 used & new from $5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 of the greatest at their best, June 12, 2015
This review is from: Jazz Giants 58 (Audio CD)
Five of these guys were the absolute best on their respective instruments.
Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown, Louie Bellson, Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan.
The other two were very near the top (and some jazz fans put them at the top).
Sweets Edison, HerbEllis.
If someone asks for a definition of jazz, this recording is it.

The Last Days of George Armstrong Custer: The True Story of the Battle of the Little Bighorn
by Thom Hatch
Price: $18.19
74 used & new from $6.88

1.0 out of 5 stars Another dissenting voice, April 16, 2015
Hatch claims that this is the true and only story of the LBH. Page after page he hero worships Custer (I was tying to think of a proper verb that was not so vulgar as what I think of the narrative). Every comment negative to Custer id passed off as bitterness on the part of the speaker. At the LBH, Custer refused to accept the size of the enemy and then split his forces into three parts. He was arrogant and cruel (shooting deserters without any trial, Washita etc.). His civil war record was good, but he had more casualties than any other commander. The slap on the wrist for going AWOL was contrary to the code of military justice. I could go on and on but the number of US soldiers dead speaks for itself.
PS
In addition, the book is boring compared to many others.

Harry & David, Pepper and Onion Relish, Sweet Recipie (Pack of 12)
Harry & David, Pepper and Onion Relish, Sweet Recipie (Pack of 12)
Offered by Shaqdis Books & Marketplace Inc.
Price: $100.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, June 19, 2014
I have been using this product for at least 5 years and have never grown tired of it. Especially good on scrambled eggs or on crackers with cream cheese.

Back to Blood: A Novel
Back to Blood: A Novel
by Tom Wolfe
392 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Back to Blood ::::::why??????, November 29, 2012
This review is from: Back to Blood: A Novel (Hardcover)
One of the most difficult things that any writer is asked to do, is to compete with himself. I own every book Tom Wolfe has written and I loved them all; some more than others, yet I loved them all. However, the only reason I keep this one, is for completeness. Usually I finish one of his books in just a few sittings. I struggled with this one for over two weeks. When I finished I felt as I had completed a massive hazing stunt. Re read my first sentence. I am asking Mr. Wolfe to compete with himself and give us anything like his previous work. I pray that this is not to be his last. I would hate to remember Tom Wolfe with such a bad taste in my mouth.

Comrade Don Camillo
Comrade Don Camillo
by Giovanni Guareschi

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading and rereading and rereading, June 8, 2010
This review is from: Comrade Don Camillo (Hardcover)
I have just finished rereading this book for the umpteenth time.
Even after all these readings, the lump in my throat and the tears in my eyes
are bigger than ever. The humor is gentle. The characters are so beautiful
and lovable that you feel a close friendship with them. I love all the
Don Camillo books, but this one to me is far and away the best.

I recommend "With God in Russia" by Father Walter Ciszek SJ who writes
about his time in the Russian prison (for being a priest) and his experiences
after his sentence was complete, but he was not allowed to leave the country.

All I can say about both these books is:

If you have a heart it will be touched.

Story of Jim Jones - Guyana Tragedy
Story of Jim Jones - Guyana Tragedy
DVD ~ Powers Boothe
Price: $5.98
5 used & new from $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Video quality not that bad 5 stars for the movie 3 for dvd., November 27, 2008
The above reviewer lambastes the DVD quality. I bought this anyway. Although a far cry from hi def, the video was more than watchable. The movie itself is so riveting the you get lost in it and don't notice any flaws in the DVD. Powers Boothe gives a performance of a lifetime (although just about everything he does is a performance of a lifetime). It is impossible to watch this without being touched deeply.
Aristotle said that the purpose of tragedy is to produce a catharsis in the viewer. This movie does that and then some.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2011 10:39 PM PDT

Foyle's War: Set Four
Foyle's War: Set Four
DVD ~ Michael Kitchen
Offered by *best-deal*
Price: $25.99
15 used & new from $13.06

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could give it 6 stars, December 5, 2007
This review is from: Foyle's War: Set Four (DVD)
Others have said it better than I could so I'd just like to leave a quote from a friend of mine. "I'd burn my driver's license tomorrow if there was any chance of Samantha Stewart being my driver!!!!"

Honeysuckle Weeks must be an extremely delightful person, for as Benjie says in My Favorite Year, "no one is that good an actor."

Wild Pitch
Wild Pitch
by Mike Lupica
178 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I fell for Lupica again. When will I learn?, December 9, 2002
This review is from: Wild Pitch (Hardcover)
A few years ago I bought "Bump and Run" mainly because it came highly recommended; particulary by Don Imus. As I struggled through it, I kept waiting for the laughs, which never came, not even a smile. I find it hard to believe, but "Wild Pitch" is even worse!! A book this size is usually a two stitting read for me, but it took me over a week to finish....
In sum, the book was boring and unfunny. The events predictable and the characters so poorly drawn that I didn't care what happened to any of them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2007 10:06 AM PST