Profile for R. Anderson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Anderson RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M1 Guide to Digital Photography
David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M1 Guide to Digital Photography
by David D. Busch
Price: $24.55
42 used & new from $18.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs A Good Editor; Some Info Not Accurate, July 18, 2014
First of all, like another reviewer already stated, this book contains numerous errors and is in need of a good editor. The impression I get is that this book was rushed to the publisher.

Also, some info is not presented in a clear, accurate way. For example, his instructional steps for using SUPER FP Flash Mode (see page 307) are complicated and I could not get them to work following his method. However, I discovered it was easy to configure using the mode button and rotating dial on the FL-600R flash unit. Note that this is but one example of the author's misinformation regarding the settings/behavior of the camera. Unfortunately, there are several others.

In addition, in several places in the book, the author states that he would share his camera settings. I have read the book cover to cover and the author did not really fulfill this promise. On Page 183, the author states that his Mysets are set up for "concerts/performances, indoor sports, outdoor sports, and wildlife/landscapes". I also have a Myset set up for landscapes. I really wanted to compare the author's settings to mine but there is no way to do that.

Another example of misinformation: On pages 350 and 351, the author sings the praises of BreezeBrowser as a raw utility. That's great but when I checked the BreezeBrowser website, the E-M1 is NOT listed as a supported camera. So, why is this included in this book? (Was this information lifted from another camera book and just carried over to this one?)

Based on the very positive comments from some other reviewers, I wonder how much time they have spent actually reading this book. I cannot recommend this book to inexperienced photographers.

Update 8/6/2014:
If you want an alternative to the David Busch guide, do a search for Gary Friedman and his E-M1 ebook. Mr. Friedman does an excellent job of explaining the camera settings and his personal camera settings. (I have no connection to Mr. Friedman.)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2014 2:50 PM PDT

75% OFF - Summer SALE - #1 Barbecue Gloves - Barbecue and Oven Gloves - 2 Professional Premium Cooking Gloves Heat Resistant - Perfect for Grill, Baking, Smoker ,Fireplace, Kitchen, Microwave, Pot Holders, Handling Hot Objects For Indoor or Outdoor Use - Nomex® & Kevlar® Gloves With Silicone Dots For Extra Protection And Super Grip - The Best Quality Grill & Oven Gloves - Never Burn Your Hands Again! - RISK FREE - 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
Offered by Grill Glove Pro
Price: $37.76

3.0 out of 5 stars Protection Up to 650 Degrees is NOT Realistic, June 20, 2014
The overall quality of the gloves is high. They are well made and appear durable.

However, the claim of Guaranteed burn protection up to 650 degrees is not accurate. I took a metal pan off of my propane grill and my gloved hand quickly became uncomfortably hot. The grill temp was about 450 degrees. I guess the manufacturer can make this burn protection claim by using the words *up to*.

Sangean PR-D18BK Portable Digital Radio (Black/Grey)
Sangean PR-D18BK Portable Digital Radio (Black/Grey)
Price: $47.24
25 used & new from $47.24

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointed, May 30, 2014
After waiting more than a week for delivery of this radio (it was shipped cross country), I ended up returning it the same day.

First of all, it looked like the radio had previously been returned by someone else. The radio was not packaged well and the protective bumper around the radio was very dusty. In addition, there were subtle but visible marks on the front face plate of the radio. Also, there was a whitish stain on the right side of the radio. I was surprised at Amazon for charging me full price for a radio in this condition. I was expecting a new product.

Finally, I own a couple of other Sangean radios and their performance is outstanding on all bands. However, this PR-D18BK had voice distortion on the FM band.

All in all, this radio was not worth the $50 price tag.

eFiction Magazine
eFiction Magazine
Price: $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Formatting Problems and Boring, April 21, 2013
This review is from: eFiction Magazine (Kindle Edition)
I was surprised by the mostly positive reviews of this Kindle magazine. I cancelled my trial subscription within 24 hours (I had the April 2013 issue).

I found the stories to be uninteresting and predictable. Perhaps the publication is meant for a younger audience? Also, this edition had numerous editing/formatting problems.

Not something I'd be willing to be pay a monthly fee to read.

Water Resistant Wall Clock with Quiet Sweep Movement
Water Resistant Wall Clock with Quiet Sweep Movement
Offered by Gallery of World Accents
Price: $31.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Warranty? Accuracy?, April 9, 2013
Overall, I like this clock but have a couple of issues regarding it.

Like other reviewers have already stated, the clock is silent and it is easy to see.

However, why did the manufacturer make it so difficult to see the proper insertion method for the AA battery? Why couldn't the positive side have been marked with a white label? (I guessed correctly how to insert it.) Hopefully, the mechanism cannot be damaged by inserting the battery incorrectly but I don't know if that's the case. How long will an alkaline battery last in this clock? What about a lithium battery? This leads me to my next issue...

The clock came with no documentation. Yes, I know this is just a clock and it is not difficult to operate. But, what happens if the battery is inserted backwards? Also, what is the warranty on the clock? Does it have a warranty? What do I do if it fails in six months? What is the accuracy specification for the clock? (How much time will it gain or lose in 30 days?)

Hopefully, this proves to be a reliable timepiece but I find it odd that a clock of this cost does not seem to have any support behind it.

Telesonic Silver Wall Clock w/ Quiet Sweep Second Hand
Telesonic Silver Wall Clock w/ Quiet Sweep Second Hand
Offered by Gallery of World Accents
Price: $36.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Warranty? Accuracy?, April 9, 2013
Overall, I like this clock but have a couple of issues regarding it.

Herstyler 3P 3-In-1 Curling System
Herstyler 3P 3-In-1 Curling System
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $38.00
13 used & new from $34.05

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is the Digital Temperature Display?, December 5, 2012
I do not understand the mostly positive reviews for this curling system. Did I receive a different item than everyone else?

One of the key advertised features is supposed to be a Digital Temperature Display. The unit shipped to me (from Golden Skin Care) has a three position sliding switch (off/low/high) and an LED power indicator. There is no temperature display.

Also, the Curling System is pictured as having black barrels with a black handle. The unit sent to me has a zebra pattern on the handle.

In addition, where are the instructions? What about including a tips sheet for using the curler?

I had purchased this unit as a holiday gift for my mother-in-law. What I thought I had purchased versus what I received is two very different things. Very disappointing. Not recommended.

I am in the process of trying to return this curler.

Cape Cod Cape Cod Marine Barometer, Brass
Cape Cod Cape Cod Marine Barometer, Brass
Offered by Cape.Cod.Home.and.Garden.Shop
Price: Click here to see our price
2 used & new from $134.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Precision aneroid movement?, August 28, 2012
I have owned the Cape Cod Marine Barometer for several days and have been comparing its readings to a $40 Ambient Weather electronic barometer. Note that both barometers, when initially set up, were calibrated to the reading at a local airport.

First the positives regarding the Cape Cod unit:
It is an attractive instrument and it appears to be well made. The dial is easy to read and it has a nice range of 27.50" to 31.50". The set pointer is also easy to use. The barometer actually has an eleven year warranty - if you register the unit with the manufacturer, the warranty is extended by one year.

Now the negatives:
According to the product description, the barometer has a "precision, German-made, aneroid movement". My relatively inexpensive electronic barometer very closely matches the pressure readings at the airport. In fact, the electronic barometer is always within .02" of the airport reading. However, the readings of the Cape Cod barometer are VERY different. For example, on the morning of August 28, 2012, the electronic barometer had a reading of 29.88". The barometer at the airport also read 29.88". The Cape Cod barometer read 30.10". Note that the Cape Cod barometer was higher by .22"

Note that the barometer is mounted to the wall with three slotted screws. Therefore, it is not convenient to recalibrate the instrument because the adjustment screw is located on the back plate of the barometer. It would be annoying to remove the mount screws, adjust the calibration screw and then remount the barometer.

The Cape Cod Marine barometer is not the first aneroid barometer that I have owned. I know that these movements are not exact and that you have to tap the barometer before taking a pressure reading. However, why is this barometer advertised as having a "precision" movement? Is a .22" difference considered "precise"? I wonder what is the maximum difference that I could observe?

Bottom line, would I recommend this Cape Cod Marine Barometer? I guess that depends on the intended use. For a serious weather enthusiast or for someone that needs an accurate, reliable reading, the answer is obviously "No". For someone more interested in the barometer as a conversation piece and just wants to know the general pressure trend, the answer is "maybe". Only you would know if this barometer is worth the price.

For about the same price, I had also considered a hybrid barometer before purchasing this Cape Cod instrument. However, I had several concerns about the hybrid: First, it only had a limited range of 29.00" to 31.00". Living at the Jersey shore, I have seen several cases where the pressure reading was below 29.00". Secondly, the hybrid only had a five year warranty. Finally, the hybrid required two AAA batteries and I did not want to be bothered with periodically replacing batteries in another device.

Do I regret purchasing this Cape Code instrument? It's not what I thought it would be considering the purchase price. Fortunately, for accuracy and weather observing, I have a much more "precise" electronic barometer.

Update 8/29/2012:
I contacted the barometer manufacturer by email and received a reply in less than 24 hours. I was basically told - rather defensively - that my barometer is working normally and that their barometer movement is one of the best in the industry. The email further emphasized that the important thing was the rate of change (rising or falling) not the actual numeric reading. I guess that answers my questions regarding a "precision aneroid movement". Apparently, my expectations were not realistic for the Cape Cod Marine barometer.

Update 9/8/2012:
I have to update my review and change the overall rating to "one star". This barometer has never indicated a lower reading than 30.00" - despite a few significant low pressure systems affecting my area.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish & Sun Protection, May 28, 2012
This hat looks good and has a wide enough brim to provide good sun protection for your head, face, ears and neck. Shipping was very fast. I wear a size 8 ball cap and this hat in size 3XL is a nice comfortable fit. If I had ordered this hat directly from the "Hats in the Belfry" web site, the cost would have been $6 higher.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars No Problems with Adaptor & Cable for Kindle Touch, May 27, 2012
I purchased this item from "bestwiidepot". It took about a week to be delivered to NJ - very reasonable.

The US power adapter is Amazon branded. Not sure if the USB cable is original or a clone but it worked fine.

Page: 1 | 2