Profile for Michael Darragh > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 71

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Darragh RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Dred Scott's Revenge: A Legal History of Race and Freedom in America
Dred Scott's Revenge: A Legal History of Race and Freedom in America
by Andrew P. Napolitano
Price: $21.35
105 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars American History at its Best, June 24, 2014
If you have an affinity for American History once you get past the first few chapters this is one of the best books on the history of Black America I have ever read. The first few chapters are a bit tedious to read and I almost put the book down but, I'm glad I toughed it out because the rest of the book brought me an insight into our collective history that I had never had before. I always had a feeling that Lincoln was not the great president everyone makes him out to be and the Judge reinforced my views with his history lesson from the Civil War era and the aftermath of Jim Crow.

I grew up in Chicago and witnessed much of the Civil Rights movement of the 60’s and 70’s. I moved down to Birmingham, Alabama in the early 1990’s to discover that the North and the South have / had different yet similar ideas about racism, separatism and segregation. The South has come a long, long way towards reconciliation and the North, well, they need some work.

As for Judge Napolitano, he is one of those guys who tells it like it is and sometimes you love what he says and other times you don't but, like his opinion or not, it is based on fact and knowledge. This book should be read and discussed in our schools – it’s that good.

Weishi 9306-F Twist to Open Double Edge Safety Razor
Weishi 9306-F Twist to Open Double Edge Safety Razor
Offered by FGP
Price: $13.50
6 used & new from $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like (well maybe not quite) my old Gillette, June 10, 2014
Being “older” I remember my first shave with my Dad’s adjustable Gillette “safety” razor. I dialed it up to 10 and watched the blood travel down my neck as I scrambled for the styptic pencil and some cold water!!!

First, this razor arrived about a month earlier than anticipated which was nice. When it arrived I unwrapped it, took it upstairs and lathered up to give it a try. A few years ago I went real old school and got myself a Wade and Butcher straight razor from back in the late 1800’s. Generally, I use the straight razor and then touch up what I have trouble with with a Gillette Fusion. This system allows me to use the Fusion blades for about 4 to 5 weeks, saves me some money and gives me a sense of history. Now I won’t need the Gillette anymore because this Weishi will take its place and finish what my Wade and Butcher can’t get.

The problem I believe that most folks have is the angle of the razor. With the new modern disposable systems the angle is pretty much figured out for you. With these old time safety razors as with my straight razor you have to figure out the best shaving angle for yourself. It takes some adjustment but, if you hang in there you will be just fine.

As for the construction of the Weishi – it’s just fine. I agree the handle could be perhaps a half to an inch longer but, that said, at 6’2” and 205lbs, the Weishi will work for me just fine.

Silver Tone Double Edge Blade Razor Shaver w Nonslip Metal Handle
Silver Tone Double Edge Blade Razor Shaver w Nonslip Metal Handle
Offered by HomeLife
Price: $3.22
12 used & new from $2.13

1.0 out of 5 stars Never got mine, May 23, 2014
After waiting well over two months this razor never came. It took a while but I got a full refund but these folks insisted that I wait and wait and wait. Hopefully that slow boat didn't sink - it's been about 5 months now and nothing.

Duracell Durabeam Ultra High Intensity Tactical- 500 Lumen Flashlight 2-Pack with 6 C Batteries
Offered by Goldmine Supply
Price: $30.89
21 used & new from $24.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, April 15, 2014
After seeing these work at a friend’s house I thought they might be useful in the line of business I'm in but, they proved to be just a burden to carry instead. I work for a demolition contractor and on many an occasion I find myself wandering around in old building with limited light. While these do light up very well, my little Chinese Cree that cost me around $3.00 with shipping and uses ONE AA battery is about 1/4 the size and about 1/5th the weight and works about as well as this more expensive and much heavier beast.

I guess it was just the thought that 500 verses about 100 lumens would make that much difference and it really didn't. Plus the added bulk made it a pain to carry around. My Chinese Cree is a simple on and off while this has three settings - high, medium and strobe. For me, keeping it simple is the best. I have relegated this cumbersome unit to the glove box of my car while my Cree is stuffed in my pants pocket where I can hardly feel it until it's needed.

Only you can know what your needs are but simple, small and light works well for me.

9.7 oz. Ultimate Cotton® 90/10 Fleece Crew
9.7 oz. Ultimate Cotton® 90/10 Fleece Crew
Offered by GotApparel
Price: $12.01
42 used & new from $8.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot wash and dry makes if fit just righ, March 3, 2014
This is a sweatshirt. Nothing spectacular or enthralling about it, just an article of clothes to wear in cool weather. It seems to be well constructed and the material is not to thin.

As with many XL items I purchase they seem to think that the average XL man is some fat, chunky and corpulent beast in need of extra room for his big beer gut. Well, I’m not that guy.... yet!!! That is the main reason I like cotton articles of clothes because a little hot water wash and hot dry will shrink most oversized pieces of clothes down to the right size and this one is no different. (I’m 6’2 and just over 200)

I bought these for work and I like them because they don’t overburden my wife with excessive ironing – just wash, dry, fold and wear – pretty low maintenance. Buy one, or two, or, like me, three – you won’t be sorry.

Tascam DP-03 Digital Portastudio (SD/CD)
Tascam DP-03 Digital Portastudio (SD/CD)
Price: $349.99
11 used & new from $249.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult instructions - fun to use, February 26, 2014
The instructions on this are similar to the instructions you get with a new computer. The guy writing the instructions assumes that you know what he is talking about and does not go into detailed explanations regarding the complexities of operation.

For instance – what do I know about EQ levels, Gain, Reverb etc? What the heck is bounce? Mastering anybody? You definitely need to do on line research and work at figuring out how to use this little machine. I’m about half way there as I have already recorded a few songs, mixed them and downloaded them onto a CD that actually works in my CD player!!!

This effort took me about 4 months – not constantly – but 4 months to push myself to work at figuring out how to do it. Trial and error. Wasted CD discs. Distorted Master Copies. Anyway, like I said, I’m about half way there and there’s no way I’m not going to figure out the second half and come up with some good musical recordings for posterity.

That said, if you’re like me, an aging rocker who wanted to see how he sounded on a recording or just somebody interested in doing their own CD’s for fun this is well worth the money. Even with my limited knowledge a couple of the songs I’ve done actually don’t sound too bad. Just me and my guitar, harmonica, piano, tambourine and some old 60’s music and I can spend hours in my little home studio laying down tracks.

God Bless America!!!

Survival Magnesium Flint Firesteel Fire Steel Starter by efuture
Survival Magnesium Flint Firesteel Fire Steel Starter by efuture
Offered by Daily-use Ships From HongKong
Price: $2.19
32 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - Just as Advertised, February 25, 2014
I'm not sure what the complaints are about the size of this product. The magnesium portion is fairly hefty and should last for many uses. The flint portion is also a good size and again, will probably outlast the magnesium portion. I'm guessing those who complained have probably never used one of these fire starters but........

For $1.75 and free shipping - IT'S WORTH THE MONEY!!!!!

Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-Cup Brewers, Green, 1-Count
Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-Cup Brewers, Green, 1-Count
Offered by Reliable Sales
Price: $3.96
10 used & new from $3.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, February 5, 2014
So let's look at this logically. Why is the K-cup solid plastic with a lid? Simple, the idea is to force hot water through the grounds and out a small hole in the bottom, utilizing all the grounds and getting the best flavor. No wire mesh because water will seek the path of least resistance - the mesh - and go out as fast as possible. That's why the coffee out of this "Eco" cup is so weak and why you have to use so much to get even a moderately strong cup of coffee. The K-Cup also holds the water better so it can travel around and through the grounds and pick up all the flavor. The "Eco" cup can't do this because the water travels too fast through it and never grabs all the coffee flavor. I guess I should have thought about it before I wasted my $7.96!!!

This thing arrived yesterday and I was looking forward to using it. I put about 1/3 of the coffee in it that I use to make a whole pot of coffee - 10 8oz cups - and got one 10oz cup of rather weak tasting coffee. I love my Dunkin Donut Coffee and in my old fashion coffee maker it tastes great the way I make it but in this "eco" friendly cup it taste like crud.

So
-$7.96 for about $0.20 worth of materials.
-Makes terrible coffee and very weak unless you put so much coffee in the cup you are better off with a $12.00 Mister Coffee and a whole pot of good coffee.

So, conclusion - go to Walmart, buy a $12.00 coffee maker and some filters and save a ton of money!!!

Crown Sporting Goods Stainless Steel Coach Whistle with Lanyard
Crown Sporting Goods Stainless Steel Coach Whistle with Lanyard
Price: $6.11
4 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurt my ears, February 2, 2014
It's funny that anyone could say this whistle isn't that loud but, I guess if you don't have the wind to blow it with authority that could be a problem. This little whistle came in the post the other day and I made the mistake of un-packaging it and trying it out in the house. It almost blew my eardrums out it was so loud.

Years ago I got a much better whistle for my aging mom. When I went to visit her she said that the whistle didn't work so, I picked it up and blew and almost took out both mom's and my ear drums. I realized the mom didn't have the lung capacity to blow the whistle which could be the case with those who find this lacking in sound.

This is a very small whistle and is not heavy duty but, for emergency use it is just fine. You can carry this in your pocket easily and have it ready if need be. For me, it's going in my emergency bag for the unlikely event that I may one day need it. If you need a whistle for game events or just getting somebodies attention this will work just fine and, if you're inside, you may want to take it easy just a bit!!!

pooqdo Survival Magnesium Flint Fire Starter Stick Lanyard
pooqdo Survival Magnesium Flint Fire Starter Stick Lanyard
Offered by LEDMall
Price: $2.60
3 used & new from $2.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems like quality, January 21, 2014
Once you clear off the coating of protective paint this thing works as good as those high priced fire starters.

I'm not sure how the Chinese make any money on this stuff but, you have to give them credit for making a good product at a low price - including shipping.

You may have to wait a while for these things to come over on that slow boat but mine actually came within several weeks of ordering and I am very pleased.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8