Profile for Vytas Kisielius > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Vytas Kisielius RSS Feed (Wilton, CT)

One Million Steps: A Marine Platoon at War
One Million Steps: A Marine Platoon at War
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another must-read book from Bing West about the heroes in our midst, September 11, 2014
Bing West is a master chronicler of the day-to-day trials and tributes of our fighting Marine grunts and their local commanders. He has captured, once again, the amazing feats of our warriors in spite of unsteady leadership and political dissembling. It's fascinating to be a spectator to Bing reliving his own Vietnam experience (Sangin and the surrounding farm fields and canals sound more like the hamlets and jungles described in West's first book, The Village, than any other battlefield he has written about) and relating how much has changed and how much hasn't changed at all since his time in the line of fire. This is a great story for readers of all ages and political persuasions in that it does much to remind us of what we Americans have to be grateful for, without sounding preachy or self-righteous. Read this book!

Into the Fire: A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War
109 used & new from $0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Bing West reminds us that ordinary soldiers are heroes too, not just the special forces teams, September 25, 2012
Bing West's latest book, co-written with Dakota Meyers, is an extraordinary account of one man's act of supreme heroism in the face of certain death -- told in a matter of fact way that doesn't resort to the sensationalism of some other recent military books. While the particular circumstances may make your blood boil and the risks Mr. Meyers willingly takes may make your skin crawl, this depiction of a regular Marine's life before, during and after this amazing episode should make us all realize that there are many, many heroes in uniform fighting for us and making the ultimate sacrifice every day. We owe them our undying gratitude and steadfast support upon their return.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2012 12:41 PM PST

Managing Retirement Wealth: An Expert Guide to Personal Portfolio Management in Good Times and Bad
by Julie Jason
Price: $13.33
53 used & new from $2.93

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for the Main Street reader, October 31, 2011
Don't be put off by the title. This new book by Julie Jason is written to help those of us who didn't make a career on Wall Street. By providing a guide that helped me understand how to approach the decisions I need to make to manage my money (versus books that tell me how I ought to manage a portfolio, or that tell me what the author recommends I do with my money), this book has helped me to take control of MY retirement strategy and to feel confident that what I'm doing is the right fit with my personal goals. Well worth the time, the book is clearly written and appropriately paced for a "Main Streeter" like me...

I Thought We Were Happy
I Thought We Were Happy
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars And all that time I thought I was the only one..., October 20, 2011
This book is compelling, not just because of the raw emotion Lewis conveys, but because anyone who has been through the pain of a split-up will find, as I did, some parallels to their own experience. In the sharing, I found some healing. It might well do the same for anyone seeking perspective on the awful, lonely, and scary experience of having to start over... A much-needed book.

The Wrong War: Grit, Strategy, and the Way Out of Afghanistan
The Wrong War: Grit, Strategy, and the Way Out of Afghanistan
170 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wrong War masterfully shows both the grunts' and the generals' point of view, February 22, 2011
Another masterstroke from Bing West -- The Wrong War provides insight into what's going right and wrong in the Afghan war. It showcases the grunts living the daily conflict yet is informed by West's understanding of the generals' strategy, which makes it a compelling story of the indomitable spirit and courage of the American fighting force AND a cautionary tale of what happens when good intentions run up against faulty assumptions. If only the top brass and the politicians would read this and come around to West's view...

The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq
The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq
182 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Bing West -- the strongest writer, August 12, 2008
With this third installment on the war in Iraq, Bing West does his best job yet of articulating the complex relationships between the local Iraqi tribes, the fledgling national government, the American political melee -- and how incredibly our fighting men and women have performed amid the chaos. He weaves together the many tales cogently and brings to life the situation on the ground in Iraq as well as in Washington -- pulling no punches and telling it as he sees it. A refreshingly honest and insightful read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2008 1:16 PM PDT