I generally like ON products, so I bought this without looking into it too much. After finishing the tub, here are my thoughts...
- Good taste
- Easy way to get post-workout carbs and protein, which will help with recovery
- Good price (used the P90X recovery product for a bit but WOW it's expensive)
- Was hard to mix with a spoon, had to use a shaker bottle otherwise it was super clumpy
- Relies on low-quality carbs (sugar, waxy maize, and malto)
- Doesn't have any other ingredients to accelerate recovery
- Uses artificial sweeteners (it's already pretty sweet from the sugar AND malto, was the sucralose really necessary???)
While this product is decent for a post-workout drink, I'm not sold on getting that many carbs every day from the lower quality sources used. I would much prefer whole food carbs. It also doesn't have any ingredients specifically for recovery, which I thought was strange (additional BCAAs on top of what's in the protein won't help or matter).
I now have a different post-workout routine that is working much better in both making me feel good and speeding up muscle recovery:
First, I started using LEGION Recharge: Improved Muscle Recovery. Less Fatigue. No Overtraining 1.39 lbs Mixed Berry
, which I like a lot more for muscle recovery purposes. It has high dosages of glutamine and carnitine and is naturally sweetened with stevia (I like to stay away from artificial sweeteners). I've been using it for a couple of weeks and I'm noticeably less sore after workouts and thus am able to train more frequently and intensely. I highly recommend it.
Second, my post-workout meal is simple, tasty, and provides me with the protein and carbs I need: I blend up a protein shake with whey protein (I like Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Natural Whey, Vanilla, 5 Pound
), rice milk (I like Rice Dream Original Rice Drink, 32 Ounce Aseptic Boxes (Pack of 12)
), fruit (frozen bananas are my favorite), and cinnamon, which gives me my protein and carbs I need.
All in all, if you want something convenient to use post workout, this product from ON is a workable choice. If you're like me and you just feel better with more nutritious, whole-food forms of carbs, however, then I recommend giving my routine a shot!