Profile for V > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

V RSS Feed

Person of Interest: Season 4
Person of Interest: Season 4
DVD ~ Jim Caviezel
Price: $39.96

5.0 out of 5 stars How will they do it?, July 4, 2015
This review is from: Person of Interest: Season 4 (DVD)
No gratuitous sex or graphic nudity and no vacuous blondes or muscle bound heroes with cringe-worthy dialogue. The plots in this show are intriguing. The actors are entertaining and you care about what happens to their characters.

I confess I would never have thought Jim Caviezel (John) and Michael Emerson (Harold) would make effective protagonists in a show like this, but what a great combination they are. One of those "lightening in a bottle" casting decisions you're so glad has been made whether it was on purpose or accidental or a little of both. Happily their satellite characters are as entertaining a group as you'll find, each with his/her own set of quirks. All together, this ensemble cast takes you from humor through great sadness. Better yet the show has wonderfully interesting villains. They seem to range from shades of mildly bad to "I want to see this guy get squashed like a bug" evil.

In the end the "good" guys generally win, and the "bad" guys get their due. The fun part is seeing how they get there. How will they do it this time?

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Never used and they still fell apart., April 19, 2015
I ordered 3 or 4 different clippers in order to find one I liked. This one was easy to eliminate as they fell apart the first time I tried to use them. Returned for refund.

Dell Cyberlink PowerDVD Software CD
Dell Cyberlink PowerDVD Software CD
3 used & new from $2.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it unless it's for a Dell computer., February 6, 2015
These are OEM software that are factory loaded into Dell computers. Their only function is to play DVD's. If you have a Dell, it's a breeze to install and use. If you don't have a Dell, they won't work -- save your money.

I've bought many of them over the years for refurbished Dell laptops. Depending on who refurbishes them, you may get a program/app for watching movies or you may not. These are generally affordable, and serve the purpose. Don't expect them to do anything else. I'm buying this particular version (9.5) for a new Dell laptop as I accidentally lost the factory loaded version while getting rid of the bloatware. So you'll know, I requested Windows 7 64-Bit as the OS from Dell. So I have no idea if these work with Windows 8 or 8.1

The Hollow Crown [Regions 2 & 4]
The Hollow Crown [Regions 2 & 4]
DVD ~ Tom Georgeson
9 used & new from $17.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Doorway into Shakespeare, January 8, 2013
My exposure to Shakespeare has been limited to say the least. The closest I've ever come was seeing "Much Ado About Nothing" on Broadway years ago. Didn't understand a word of it. But I've always wondered how I might begin to understand. I've tried reading various plays and sonnets, caught a few movies interpreting his plays, and always got lost early on. I bought this boxed set to try yet one more time and finally! The door opened.

The set depicts the reigns of three successive English medieval kings. There are four discs: Richard II, Henry IV Parts 1 and 2, and Henry V. The stories are riveting and, I think, more understandable as you'll recognize many of the principal actors (Jeremy Irons, for example). And it has subtitles! What a simple and brilliant idea. For the first time I could follow the stories. Credit also goes to the vivid performances of all the actors involved.

I'm told one of the differences between this production and previous ones is that the language was delivered in prose as opposed to verse. Meaning, I think, that they spoke as modern day people do, but the lines are still in Shakespearean language. I'll leave that to the Shakespearean purists. All I know is I have, at long last, found my doorway into Shakespeare.

FYI: I bought mine at Amazon.co.uk. As of this writing, the price at the Brit Amazon is $22.23 for the complete set including shipping.

UPDATE: Just bought this set for a friend -- 2/17/2013. The price is now $25.70 including shipping.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2013 1:54 PM PDT

Good Cook Kitchen Sink Stopper
Good Cook Kitchen Sink Stopper
Price: $5.55
6 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars $2.09 apiece at Midland Hardware.com....Please see update, October 3, 2012
Like previous reviewers, I too had tried lots of different kitchen sink stoppers that didn't work worth a hoot. So I picked this one up as my next "try". It fit perfectly and made a tight seal. Annoying problem solved.

Came back to Amazon to buy a second one and found the price had gone up from $6.60 to $20.57 which, of course, is just silly. Did some searching and found a place called Midland Hardware. As of this writing, they have them for $2.09 apiece. I bought four (4), and the order came to $11.49 including shipping.

For anyone who may be interested:

Their web address is midlandhardware.com, or you can Google "Bradshaw International Rubber Sink Stopper 24965". Midland will come up in the search results. Once you get to their checkout, you have the option of putting your credit card info in, or you can pay with Paypal.

UPDATE: 2/17/2013 -- Went back to Midland to get a couple of these for my sister and found the price is now $6.26 plus five or six dollars shipping. Did more Googling and found prices vary from $1.76 each to over $20.00 each, at least today. The best suggestion I can make now is to Google the exact name of the stopper (in paragraph above) to find out who has the best price plus shipping at the time you shop.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2014 3:27 PM PDT

From Time To Time
From Time To Time
DVD ~ Timothy Spall
Offered by amazingwildcat
Price: $12.98
7 used & new from $8.94

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites, April 8, 2012
This review is from: From Time To Time (DVD)
This movie is delightful, superbly written and filmed, with first-rate performances from Maggie Smith, Alex Etel, Hugh Bonneville, Timothy Spall, et al. And, since a another reviewer has done a fine job of describing characters and events, suffice to say that thanks to all involved in this production, the movie is so engrossing and entertaining it seemed to be over before I knew it. It's a gem.

Worcester Christmas Wreath 18-Feet Balsam Christmas Garland
Worcester Christmas Wreath 18-Feet Balsam Christmas Garland

5.0 out of 5 stars Full and Fresh, December 4, 2010
I buy garlalnds every year and mostly don't care if they're not up to expectations, as I take them apart and use the boughs to decorate around the house. This one is so good, I'll use it just the way it arrived. It's full, beautiful and very fresh. It must have been misted before it was sent because it came out of the box damp, but smelling great!

My suggestion would be to open it outside, or in my case, on a painter's plastic drop cloth. It will shed some (I've never purchased a balsam garland that didn't shed.), and as I mentioned it's a bit damp on arrival. Having said that, I'll be buying this one every year it's available. I've paid much more money in the past on other websites and received garlands of much lower quality. Hats off to Amazon for offering this one at a decent price!

Update for Christmas 2011: Ditto!

Update for Christmas 2012: Just got my garland for this year. Love these things. It's like opening a box of "Instant Christmas".

The Complete Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes Collection
The Complete Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Quality, November 10, 2004
If you're a fan of the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce versions of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries, this collection is a must. After years of watching my old copies of the movies with the scratchy sound and visuals, I bought a couple of the digitally restored dvd's (done by UCLA). Having seen those, I popped for the remainder of the collection. The difference is stunning!

I had no idea how much visual and aural detail I was missing -- bits of dialogue, acting nuances, that lovely old Black & White movie lighting. These are definitely worth the price of admission.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2015 2:29 PM PDT