Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "arttrombley" RSS Feed (Malone, NY United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Backatown
Backatown
Price: $9.82
98 used & new from $4.94

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new world for me, June 9, 2014
This review is from: Backatown (Audio CD)
I do not like instrumentals. I am not a fan of jazz. Songs with a lot of horns drive me nuts and give me headaches. Then I picked up Trombone Shorty. I was in New Orleans but I did not do my homework. I did not realize how amazing the music is there. I did not know the names of the legends and the new standard bearers so this opinion may not work for the purists. This CD, along with his others, turned me into a budding fan of jazz. I play all of Shorty's CDs in my classroom often and turned students into fans as well. I play the tunes during pauses at assemblies and concerts at my school and I can people bopping their heads and I know they do not know the tunes. This lead me to Kermit Ruffins, Dr. John, Professor Longhair, Sidney Bechet (the list goes on). A new world of music opened up for me because of this CD. I now look for jazz infused music like this. I find myself tuning into the jazz station on the radio. I scour YouTube to see Shorty play. As - I said - a whole new world. Hurricane Season (the lead tune) always pumps me up. On Your Way Down has a great groove. Backatown makes me wish I could play an instrument. I could go on, but I would rather listen to the CD again. (I could copy and paste this into the other albums by Shorty as well.) As I said - a whole new world for me. I could not he happier.

The Problem with Math Is English: A Language-Focused Approach to Helping All Students Develop a Deeper Understanding of Mathematics
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my perspective, March 12, 2014
I am a Hugh school math teacher and I leaned quite a bit from this book. I learned that my use of language is really hurting my students. I never realized how easily what I say in class could be interpreted incorrectly. I have already changed the way I speak to my students and am planning to retool many of my lessons based on the ideas presented in this book. I will also be recommending it to other math teachers. Thank you for making me think differently.

Sony Alpha SLT-A57 16.1 MP Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor DSLR with Translucent Mirror Technology and 3D Sweep Panorama (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
Offered by RitzCamera
7 used & new from $311.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera - great support, April 5, 2013
I have two of these cameras. The first one I picked up almost a year ago. The second a few weeks ago. The first one was put through it's paces. I take pictures for my school's yearbook and website. I have taken thousands of pictures with it. Then, one day, the dreaded "camera error" that other people have mentioned. I sent the camera to Sony repair (on my dime) but the repair was covered under warranty and in less than two weeks it was back at work. I received two calls from the Sony repair center keeping me updated. Their service was exemplary.
As for the camera - it does what I need it to do. Outdoor pictures of soccer, baseball and softball - great indoor shots for concerts, musical and plays - and I really like the video quality. I added an external microphone (to eliminate the noise created by the focusing of the camera) and took some great clips at a recent musical performance.
Is this "pro" level? Maybe not - but it has handled all I have thrown at it and done quite well. I have used Minolta/Sony cameras for well over a decade and this has turned into my favorite camera. I have added a great Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens and have been very happy since.
So why two of the same camera? Backups are great. At the price point right now for this body it would be a shame to miss an event I need to cover. Plus I do not have to re-learn it all again.
To sum it up - great camera - great service. Really happy. Minus one for the "hassle" of needing repairs but thinking of adding it back due to the quick repair job!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2013 6:12 PM PDT

Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection
Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection
by A. J. Jacobs
188 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick, Fun, Informative, May 3, 2012
You cannot watch TV or flip through a magazine without being bombarded with ads about improving your health. And even if you do not want to admit it, you wonder sometimes if what is being said is true....even a little bit true. After all, you are paying attention because you want to lose weight or get in better shape. You want to be healthy, but you are not sure you want to try that (whatever it is) out. You have no close personal friends who have tried that out. In comes A.J. Jacobs to the rescue. He takes on the fads for me. And I get to live vicariously through his own trials and tribulations. Quite often I laughed (his style cracks me up), and quite often I thought to myself...hmmm...sounds promising. This is not a book to get in depth knowledge about any one thing but it a great introduction to the many ways you can improve your health by making small changes. Run barefoot? Maybe I will try it. Juicing? Have tried it. Works a bit for me. I would think any one or a combination of the advice he followed will improve the health of most people. I know there will be those who find his approach too light-hearted and maybe not well researched he did meet and speak with many leaders in their respective fields. In short, you have to ask yourself if you learned something from this book. I did. I was inspired to learn more. That alone makes this a worthwhile read. It is a quick read...a fun read and a great motivator for anyone who needs a kick in the backside to get busy getting healthy.

Ruler and Compass: Practical Geometric Constructions (Wooden Books)
Ruler and Compass: Practical Geometric Constructions (Wooden Books)
by Andrew Sutton
Price: $10.96
70 used & new from $5.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Energized Math Class, April 27, 2012
I have to teach a few basic constructions for a state test. I have taught them pretty much the same way for years. I teach them the way I was taught. Then I bought this book. This short book helped me energize my class with some great constructions that are quite simple once you get the notation figured out. My students were thrilled with some of the more complex constructions and I think they walked away with a better understanding of the way constructions work. I also used some of the basic shaped like the hexagon construction to reinforce the associated properties. I have never had so much success keeping the students attentive during these lessons.I have not really investigated other such books, but for me, and for my students, this book served as a great resource. Short - effective - informative. In fact - so small that I can tuck the book, a graph paper notebook and a compass in my backpack and not use up much space. One problem - I did spend quite a bit of time doodling with the book during faculty meetings.

Defendor
Defendor
DVD ~ Woody Harrelson
Offered by Ultimate_Discounts
Price: $9.99
44 used & new from $0.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Way Better Than You Think, April 27, 2012
This review is from: Defendor (DVD)
When this movie came out there were comparisons to Kick Ass. Then it got lost in the shuffle with Super. This is not a comedy, though there are a few nice moments. This is not a movie you can put into any real category. There are real emotional moments - over the top acting by some of the peripheral players - and more than a few disjointed scenes. But it is all completely watchable thanks to Woody Harrelson. Some day people will look back on his movies and realize that he is a movie star. When he is on screen you watch. And that is why you need to see this movie. He plays the main character as a real person. There is no wink at the camera. This is a man who truly believes he is fighting the good fight. He truly believes he is going to avenge his mother's death. Harrelson's character has a great supportive friend and family to turn to but decides to keep them safe by taking on "Captain Industry" by himself.
This is not a perfect movie, but it also should not be overlooked. Just go into it knowing it is not a dark comedy. It is not perfect, but Harrelson created a character that stuck with me, and I think it will stick with many of you as well. Even the feel good ending worked for me because...well....watch and you will see why.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2012 1:44 PM PDT

Inclusions
Inclusions
Price: $10.75
41 used & new from $2.89

5.0 out of 5 stars My Go To CD, April 24, 2012
This review is from: Inclusions (Audio CD)
One day I stumbled upon a video for "Close to You". I watched it once and immediately picked up the CD. One listen. One song. Sometimes when I do this I get a CD with one good song on it. This time I bought a CD full of songs that have grown on me in ways most music does not. Sollee's weapon of choice may be the cello but this is not some "classical music" but it is classic. Each song has it's own style. His vocals sound (to me) like a Paul Simon/early Paul McCartney mash-up at times. Since they are two of my all time favorites I guess this is why I love this album so much. I added it to my iPod playlist and have since heard the whole CD over three dozen times (I check the play count). Each time a song comes up in the rotation I catch myself smiling. If I had to fit this into a genre I would put it squarely in the "listen to it by a fire" genre. Preferably an outdoor fire. Preferably during a time when you need to shut out the world and get lost in some great melodies. That is how I listened to it the first handful of times. I wrote as a title that this is a "go-to" CD for me and that is what I mean. I "go-to" this CD quite a bit. Not as much lately though - I had to make room for his other CDs as well.

Unhooked: How to Quit Anything
Unhooked: How to Quit Anything
by Susan B. Shapiro
Price: $10.82
66 used & new from $1.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Discovering my addictions., April 24, 2012
I knew nothing about Susan Shapiro when I bought this book. The title, subject matter (and price to be honest) lead me to putting this into my cart. From time to time I buy books like this. I call it buying "blind". Here's one way of reviewing it - I bought all her other titles after I read it. Sometimes an author's style just connects with you and her style did just that. This is a book about addiction therapy. It is about one therapist's career and his treatment techniques. Shapiro helped write it. The book goes down easily but the thoughts raised do not. Rarely do you read a book like this where the therapist tells you that your journey will be hard. In fact he suggests that is if it not hard you might not be doing it right. All addictions carry with them some hidden agenda. The way to win is to figure out what drives the addition. The main therapy recommended here is writing your feelings down. That and a healthy dose of reality therapy in the guise of professional help through personal therapy or group therapy like AA and Weight Watchers. I appreciated the way all addictions were portrayed as potentially harmful. Just because someone is not doing dangerous things like drinking or drugging does mean they are healthy. Spending too much money is harmful (if you don't have it so spend). Spending too much time on-line, on your phone, on social media sites and the like are also problems (or can be is they impede your real life relationships). I will not review Shapiro's other books here, I will tackle those in the appropriate sections, but I will say that even though I am a "normal" middle aged man I learned a great deal from this book. I will be reading again very soon with a journal close at hand to start unpacking whatever I need to unpack. I just hope I do not discover that my addition is to finding great books like this while searching Amazon.com.

Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
by Austin Kleon
Price: $6.86
242 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Eyes Wide Opened, April 24, 2012
I am not a creative person. I want to be. I think like most people I want to create something. I want to write something. Create something. While searching for something new in the books section of Amazon.com I hit on this title. I knew nothing about Austin Kleon. I am not a poetry fan so I did not know about the Newspaper Blackout book. I actually judged this book by it's cover (and the description to be honest). I read it in an hour (you can too - it is a short book). Then I read it again much more slowly and with a highlighter. Most of what he writes about may be trite to those "in the know" but for me this book said I could go into the world, find something I love and tweak it bit to make it mine. And in doing that I could show the creator that his work inspired me to create something. This book also told me that I already possessed the tools to be creative. Since I know that I like Kleon suggest that I study why I like it. Find out what makes it work for me and then use that as a jumping off point. But even these words do not convey accurately enough how inspired I was - I read it again - I added his blog and tumblr feeds to my daily readings - I follow him on twitter and bought some books he recommended. Finally - rather than sending him an email telling him how wonderful this book is - I am following his advice and putting those same thoughts in a review. A small book awakened a bit of passion for being creative. Not a small feat. A small book but a big heart. Hope all these words add up to this - I love this book.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2015 6:05 AM PST

Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Weirdos (Ed Emberley Drawing Books)
Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Weirdos (Ed Emberley Drawing Books)
by Ed Emberley
Price: $5.83
84 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I CAN draw., April 24, 2012
I am not an artist. I have never really drawn anything. I picked this book up because Austin Kleon recommended the author and I thought the title was fun. I started drawing in minutes and had a great time. I teach math and I can see me using this book in class when I discuss compound area problems. Many of the drawing are comprised of rectangles, circles and other similar basic geometric shapes. I now have a small sketchbook and a handful of Sharpies to make other sketches. I decided to order several other books from the same author but this is one is my favorite. Thanks to this book I have started drawing and doodling some of my favorite cartoons. A BIG bang for the buck for me with this book. And this is from a 40+ year old who never drew anything before. Very fun and inspiring.

Page: 1 | 2