Profile for Persepolis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Persepolis "Persepolis" RSS Feed (WDC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
WD Red 1 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EFRX
WD Red 1 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EFRX
Price: $66.99
81 used & new from $52.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than consumer drives, targetted for NAS/arrays, December 7, 2014
Someone asked if these drives are better than consumer grade drives. Its a bit more complicated than yes/no, so here is the long answer:
Based on my experience, these drives are more reliable than consumer grade drives, but please note that I think these are more meant for redundant arrays so when they fail they will fail "differently". Here is how: Lets say you have a WDC Caviar Green (consumer) and a WDC Red (NAS). When the Green starts to fail, it will try really hard to recover from the error... the drive will try its darndest to stay alive and get you your data back because most folks use the Greens as a single drive with no redundancy (i.e., no mirrored duplicate copy). With folks using storage arrays/NAS on the other hand, the idea is to have a failing drive die and get it over with as quickly as possible. Why? You don't want a dying drive to hang around, lose its performance and roll the dice on data reads/writes while dying a slow death compromising the rest of the array. We want the drive to fall out, we replace it, and we're back in business. So ignoring the death-behavior, how else is the Red better? IMO, they are tested better. With most consumer drives in the terabyte capacities, I'd say %5-%10 are dead on arrival. I haven't seen this with the Reds. Also, the Reds are optimized to have low vibration. This lets them live a healthier longer life. Why is vibration a big deal? If the distance between the modern GMR drive head and disk surface were 1inch, a strand of your hair would be about 7 to 10 feet high in comparison... so reducing vibration can help with avoiding catastrophe (head crash, etc). Finally, the Reds are designed with better thermal design... WDC knows these drives will typically sit with 3...5...8 or more together in close proximity so they can handle the temperature extremes better. Heat can rapidly reduce the life of cheaper consumer grade electronics (i.e., a crappy capacitor will go from 6000 hours to 1500 hours going from 75 degrees to 105 degrees), but going with better components can get you much better results at the temperature extremes which I think the Reds are also packed with.

Samsung SDC-9440BU 1080p Full HD Weatherproof IR Camera
Samsung SDC-9440BU 1080p Full HD Weatherproof IR Camera
Offered by SOLTECHSECURITY
Price: $149.00
23 used & new from $133.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an IP camera... No RTSP/MJPEG/etc support, only works with Samsung's DVR, August 15, 2014
I recently purchased this camera and found out that apparently it is not an IP camera (therefore it only works with Samsung's own DVR solution). This is definitely my own fault for not researching this more thoroughly--- but when I went to Samsung's US web site and went to the IP Camera section, this camera is listed on the IP Camera landing (under "Category Top Products"). Confused? So am I. So... long story short... Samsung has 96 different camera models, 3 of these (new models) SDC-9440BU, SDC-7340BC, SDC-5340BC have an Ethernet jack, are not usable as an IP cameras without Samsung's DVR.

Plot twist; the camera does operate on a IP network, it does request a DHCP address, but running a port-scan reveals no open services on the IP address.

Sorry I had to mark it as one-star, but I wanted to make sure this fact is more clearly visible to prevent others from making the same error I made.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 6:18 PM PDT

SodaStream Natural Black Currant and Pear Syrup, 750mL
SodaStream Natural Black Currant and Pear Syrup, 750mL
Offered by BarronOnline
Price: $15.77
6 used & new from $15.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Tastes like cough syrup, July 29, 2014
Most of the SodaStream flavors are a hit with me except this one. I think if SodaStream wanted to perfectly replicated the taste of Robitussin cough syrup, they hit a home run with this one.

Also, as few other people have noted, this syrup's main ingredients are Apple & Elderberry... There may be trace amounts of pear & currant, but as far as I'm concerned, those are undetectable.

Maybe this syrup is modeled after Grape Nuts cereal... open the box... no grapes... no nuts... :-)

8MP iSight Main Back Camera Module For iPhone 5 Rear Cam Repair Replacement Fix
8MP iSight Main Back Camera Module For iPhone 5 Rear Cam Repair Replacement Fix
Offered by Joices Store
Price: $6.92
7 used & new from $6.91

4.0 out of 5 stars A working replacement, for a very good price., July 29, 2014
The quality of this camera is just a bit off, as is the focus as long as you don't take pictures of very close objects (i.e., some banking apps let you take pictures of checks to deposit them), but it works. I would have given it 3 stars, but the price is right... so it makes up for it there. The alternative would have been a real Apple iPhone 5 camera pull, which typically cost 5 times as much.

Iphone 5 Proximity Sensor Light Motion Flex Mircophone Cable & Front Face Camera
Offered by mimiZHANG Store
Price: $7.29
7 used & new from $7.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement component, installed and works fine., July 29, 2014
Good replacement component. I used it to replace my iPhone 5 proximity sensor and front facing camera which had water damage. The quality of the component is on par with the original and everything fit as expected with no surprises. End to end, it took me about 2 hours to complete the install/swap.

Sur La Table Brushed Aluminum Three-Tiered Stand
Sur La Table Brushed Aluminum Three-Tiered Stand
Offered by Sur La Table, Inc.
Price: $59.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice way to store tons of fruit on standby, July 29, 2014
This basket set is definitely larger & taller than I envisioned. It has tons of capacity and has been great for storing lots of fruit. The top tier is a bit too deep and not wide enough to be practical however in my opinion, so I took it off (and screwed the handle into the 2nd tier)... So I ended up with a high capacity 2-tier basket.

Honeywell TH8732WF5018 Lyric WiFi-Enabled Thermostat
Honeywell TH8732WF5018 Lyric WiFi-Enabled Thermostat
Price: $246.79
28 used & new from $149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Adopter, Nest to Lyric - Updated review, July 4, 2014
[See end of this review for 07/30/2014 update]
[See end of this review for 07/09/2014 update]

This thermostat is the first real contender in the Nest market niche. Its a WiFi enabled thermostat with some interesting techie-level features, but not without its own flaws. In this review I'm posting my comparison of the new Lyric to my old Gen-1 Nest.

Back-plate installation comparison between Nest and Lyric:
Lyric installation is a bit easier than Nest where the Lyric the cover-plate and junction block are screwed on to the wall as one piece with two screws. The Lyric install however feels wobblier and flimsier than the Nest installation where a metal backplate is mounted on the wall first, then the junction block and front plate bolts on to the metal backplate.

Wiring installation comparison between Nest and Lyric:
Lyric is just as easy as Nest, however it appears much better able to deal with oddball wiring than Nest (evident from the Lyric's terminals block). I've also read in the support forums that it allows for direct control of Honeywell humidifiers and external sensors, but I haven't confirmed it myself. Lyric definitely shows Honeywell's legacy in thermostat design here. They know what sort of systems are out there from very long term experience.

Initial configuration... Lyric vs. Nest:
Lyric is much easier than Nest! With Nest, you need to enter it's initial settings with the jog wheel. i.e., entering the SSID for Wifi can take a while when entering it one character at a time. Lyric on the other hand boots up and becomes its own Wifi access point for 3 minutes. Then, using the lyric app, and your iOS device connects DIRECTLY to the Lyric (not via your router/access point!) and all configuration happens from the IOS device (iPhone, Ipad, etc.), with the IOS device as the user-interface to key settings in.

Device user interface comparison... Lyric vs. Nest:
The Lyric's display & user interface does seem to be a step ahead of Nest. You can look at the weather forecast, turn the device on and off, switch between AC & heat, or set the system to Away without having to drill down any menus.

App user interface comparison... Lyric vs. Nest:
Nest easily beats out Lyric. The Lyric user application interface is new and has its quirks. For example, when loading the app and clicking on the thermostat, clicking on the temperature readout that comes up for the thermostat shuts off the HVAC system. Be careful not to double click on the display. Also, I haven't been able to explore the geofencing options... the Lyric UI doesn't seem to be very intuitive (yet). Lyric's UI is definitely Genenration-1... Nest clearly beats the Lyric out here... no contest.

Temperature control/operation... Lyric vs. Nest:
The Lyric simply blows away the Nest here. The Nest seems to allow too much variation and fluctuation (wobble?) in temperature in favor of squeezing a bit more energy savings. Temperature control is Lyrics game... period. After one day, our home felt far more comfortable. With the Nest, there were days where I set the AC thermostat to 72... but the home felt like 75... to force the system on, I had to turn it down to 70 just to force the AC come on. The Lyric has some tricks in its bag such as monitoring a combination of temperature and humidity to make the air more comfortable.

The Lyric is not perfect. Here is whats not right as of my writing this review:
-No instructions/manual... Some of the functions are vague and the only way to figure out what they do is to search the Lyric community forums for answers. The system does come with guided install using the Application, and they have several videos available. I'm still an old-school techie... just tell me where the buttons are and what they do.

-No Kindle app! This needs to be fixed quickly, IMO. Kindles make up a large segment of the Android devices out there. We've got more kindles in our home than iPhone/iPads and I'm hoping they make a Kindle app available via the Amazon app store soon.

-No web interface! Nest allows you to log in and change settings using a standard Web interface (for PC's and other devices), at the time of this writing, I haven't seen an analog to this with Lyric.

-Some functions appear broken in the app, i.e., setting the Sleep Backlight to anything other than 0% just reverts back to zero in a few seconds.

Other interesting tidbits:
-Nest uses an on-board rechargable lithium battery for system backup. The Lyric has a user-changable AAA (they included one Energizer Lithium AAA in mine). I like having a user changeable backup battery.

-My Nest seemed to have a never-ending slew of Wifi connection problems. After trying almost a dozen different access points as well as a replacement Nest, the Nest dropping out and not being accessible became a way of life that myself and some other Nest users have just put up with. The Lyric seems rock solid in terms of connectivity and isn't as finicky as the Nest with wifi access points.

All in all, having owned both the Lyric and Nest, I'm glad I changed over to Lyric. For a Gen 1 product, it does what its supposed to very well. Also, considering all other wifi enabled smart-thermostats, Nest finally has a real competitor in the Lyric... which is good for everyone.

[****07/09/2014 UPDATE****]
I raised my review from 4 to 5 stars. I'm still a little annoyed by the absence of a Kindle app for the Lyric, but its just done a fantastic job in temperature control since I've installed it. The house just feels amazingly comfortable. This Lyric seems to be constantly one step ahead in terms of external temperature fluctuations and humidity.

Also, the system has been running for about a week and it has had zero connection problems. I've also had the chance to use the quick-away functionality and its worked very well. Finally, we had a nasty storm come through yesterday where we lost power about a dozen times within an hour, the Lyric came through without any problems.

[****07/30/2014 UPDATE****]
Thanks for everyone's comments and follow-ups on my review. One of the more common questions I saw was on the C wire. I double checked, and my system definitely does not have a C-wire. This all got me thinking on how far I'll get on the Lithium AAA that was included so I conducted a small test:

I took a pair of brand new Eneloop Pro AAA low self discharge batteries (900mAh). I re-charged them both, twice, to make sure they were full.

I installed one in the Lyric, and stored the other at room temperature. I let the Lyric operate for about 6 hours. Then I pulled the battery from the Lyric, and charged both of them again (on my MAHA WizardOne charger).

The battery used by the Lyric showed a 12mA drop after 6 hours. The unused battery showed a 8mA self-discharge drop (control) after 6 hours.

The difference is 4mA so that's what the Lyric pulled in 6 hours (or 16mA in 24 hours) in my single trial test.

Based on my calculations, the Energizer Lithium AAA packs 1200mA fresh out of the pack, so this translates to 75 days of operation at my estimated drain rates. I'm not sure what happens when the internal cell goes cold (and if the Lyric has an NVRAM strategy for keeping things going without significant disruption). I'll try to post an update when this happens.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2014 8:08 PM PST

BV-Tech POE-I100 Single Port 19W PoE Injector (Black)
BV-Tech POE-I100 Single Port 19W PoE Injector (Black)
Offered by PoE Depot
Price: $14.99
9 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly solid performer!, March 5, 2013
I bought two of these, one for a production camera outside of our house (the POE injector is located inside a shed, this is an indoor-only unit), the other for my desktop so I can have a bench setup to test my POE cameras with without having to have an expensive POE switch.

As a POE switch it performed perfectly. My production unit has been in 24x7 operation and under load for a little over 2 months, the second one has been serving on and off duty for about a month.

Pros:
-The unit has keyed interlocks on both sides... in other words they can connect to each other like Lego's making for a nice and secure install when you have more than one unit.
-The unit has an internal switching power supply. This was a big deal for me. I wanted the unit to be free of a wall-wart. Incorporating an internal power supply costs a significant amount of extra work in the design phase, and they got it right. The power socket is a standard "PC" type 3 pin polarized socket.
-All the components appear to be rightly selected, with some over-engineering in the design. The capacitors look commodity Chinese, but I don't see any signs of defects/leakage so I think they'll be ok.
-The unit is relatively compact--- its about the size of a modern cordless handset, and pretty light. Its light enough that it can be supported by the rigidity of the cables alone.
-The circuit board is nicely etched, silk screened/masked and is dual layer. The solder joints are wave-soldered, clean both on the top where most of the key components are located, as well as the back where there are about a dozen or so surface mount resistors. I personally would have liked the PC board a little cleaner from the wave solder flux, but 'meh--- not a big deal.

Cons: I couldn't find any.

Other thoughts: This unit is rated for 802.af applications (~15 Watts). It would be great to find something in this footprint/configuration that would support 802.at (25 Watts)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2014 4:59 PM PDT

Xcelite XST102V Super-Tru Nickel Chromium Steel Phillips Screwdriver, 1/4" Head, 4" Blade Length, 8-1/8" Overall Length
Price: $10.48
2 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice solid #2 Phillips Screwdriver, January 5, 2013
This is a must-have for the geek technician, especially for precision work requiring a #2 Phillips driver. Its what you would expect of an over-engineered USA-built product which does not disappoint (in other words, the screw or material you're working on will probably fail a dozen times over before this tool ever does).

The tip has a micro-rough texture that seems to really grip into the screws well and seems to be perfectly cut. The Tenite handle is comfortable and does its job well... nothing fancy there. The handle is cleanly molded with no sharp edges or malformations. The weight of the driver feels perfect with the center of gravity located just above the fluted part of the handle giving the screwdriver a natural tendency to stay in your palm if you open your hand rather than the driver falling out.

I have a few cheaper import #2 Phillips drivers in my various toolboxes along with two Xcelite XST102V's. The Xcelites hold up better & the blades are in better shape after about equal as many uses. With the others, the edges of the blades start wearing causing slipping problems. When the blades hold up better, your screws hold up better... nothing is worse than using a dull-edged Phillips driver causing the blade to slip and destroy the screw in the process... or worse yet, the blade flies out and takes out a few neighboring components. Even something like securing a drywall screw feels better with the XST102V... the rough surface of the tip just "sticks" to the screw.

So is it worth the $7? If you use a screwdriver more than once a week, especially in electronics, you should have 2 or 3 of these in your cart by now.

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL8 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin BLT2CP4G3D1608DT2TXRG
Price: $102.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memory for a show-build, January 5, 2013
I've used Ballistix Tracers in several builds over the past few years. If you want to show off your rig and make your computer like a mini WOPR, this is the memory for you. Based on my examination of these DIMMs, my guess is that Crucial has added an LED controller that is linked to the column-select lines of the memory address bus so as the CPU's memory controller selects different columns for addressing the RAM the LEDs light up according to the column-address that is loaded into the address bus. In other words: its not random... its actually pretty useful if you know how your memory controller works. This memory makes for a beautiful and functional display.

The bad:
-I've had compatibility problems with the X79 chipset and I would suggest that you make sure & check the comparability list on the Crucial web site before taking the plunge. X58 seemed to work fine.
-On a few of these (I have about 20 of these DIMMs), the heatsink's adhesive became loose and the heatsink delaminated from the memory chips. I reseated the heatsink (pressed it down pretty hard) and they stayed on afterwards.
-These are not the highest performance memory, but the price is reasonable and are a consistent performer. Obviously you're not buying them because they're the fastest memory, but due to the unique feature of having LEDs.
-Over the course of the few years I've been buying them, I've had 1 module fail on me which Crucial replaced under warranty.

All in all, I still consider them a 5-star product due to their unique capability.

Other things to watch out for:
-These come in 2 color configurations right now: RED+Green and Orange+Blue. The color code is the last two digits of the part number (RG or OB). Verify this code to make sure you get the color you're looking for.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3