Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for I am so smart...S-M-R-T > Reviews

Browse

I am so smart......'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

I am so smart...S-M-R-T RSS Feed (Arvada, CO USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Hestra Leather Fall Line 3-Finger Gloves
Hestra Leather Fall Line 3-Finger Gloves
Price: $74.98 - $150.00

5.0 out of 5 stars HAIL HESTRA, December 30, 2015
HAIL HESTRA AND THE WONDER OF NINJA-TURTLE GLOVES

Ski instructor, here. Located in wonderful, windy Wyoming. Where I work is notorious for cold, cold and cold, and though my faithful Leki gloves did their best, there have been days teaching where I have cursed the my appendages and my gloves, respectively. I happen to be a firm believer in stockpiling good pairs of gloves for Snowpocolypse, and was intrigued when a coworker offered to sell me his new pair of Hestras for cheap-cheap because his man-hands could not fit. Sometimes, having girl-hands is marvelous.

These Hestras are a glorious, three-finger marvel of glove engineering. Not only do I find my hands just a bit more nimble in dealing with the day-to-day shenanigans of teaching skiing to young and old, but my hands are also so much WARMER. Furthermore, having dealt with more than a few days where windchill gave outdoor conditions a balmy -15F feel, I can tell you that these suckers are WARM.

Do they have limitations? Yes. Anything colder than -15F with windchill (while skiing) and you should want to consider hand-warmers or at the least liners. Is it a pain in the butt to weasel a hand-warmer into them? Yes. But overall, these are great gloves. And though I snicker at the coworker discount I got for these, I'd say they are more than worth the money. I now use these not only for work, but also for dealing with the cold shenanigans in town (e.g., starting a car on a -25F day, or any other normal task that becomes miserable in Wyoming winter).

I will update as time goes on, but as of now I am very impressed with these gloves and highly recommend them.

La Isla Women's Level 4 High Impact Racer Back Wirefree Maximum Sports Bra White 32D
Offered by La Isla Fashion
Price: $44.95

4.0 out of 5 stars THEY AIN'T GOIN' NOWHERE, April 7, 2015
The girls ain't going nowhere.

Measured self prior to fitting, and also paid heed to the warnings of the band feeling a bit tight, even with correct sizing. I did not go any smaller than my recommended size, as there had been warnings that the band would hurt like no other. I'm very active as a runner and do a lot of body weight exercises (burpees, jumping lunges, what have you) so I really wanted a bra that could take the impact but keep the boobies behaving. This filled the billet well.

PROS:
>Yet again, the D girls are stayin' put for the duration of my workout. Feel secure and stable, even with high impact.
>Good quality. For duration of workout, not uncomfortable or chafing in the slightest.
>Actually like the added support with the two clasps as opposed to one. This was my first time using a sports bra with clasps, but I like it.

CONS
>If you wear this bra any longer than two hours, you WILL feel it in your neck and underneath your arms, respectively.
>Not a bra designed for all day use. A little unforgiving in that regard.
>The strap is tight. Do NOT go any smaller than your measured band size, or you will rue the day. I went directly to my size (32D) and use the outermost clasps of the bra, so keep that in mind.

Very happy with this. For the money, I got an excellent bra that keeps these mammaries from making a scene.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Begone, the agony of fat feet!, December 8, 2014
Within the last three years, I've gone from being an athletic, healthy twenty-something to being uncomfortably saddled by a horde of foot and knee problems, from tendonitis, to plantar faciitis and just the general stride issues that occur after knee surgery. After I tore my ACL in 2011, I decided upon the advice from a co-worker who'd suffered similar knee issues to look at minimalist running shoes to get back into the game.

I tried the very naked Vibrams. Knees actually didn't mind it, but feet definitely did. Built my way up to some more solid and robust Vibrams, but found on 5+ mile runs that my feet weren't happy with the shoe arrangement. The Vibrams were great for sprint training,3-miler jaunts and all-around walking, but were poor for anything with longer distances. I went to some "slight minimalist" Brooks, but found similar ailments.

Simply put: I have very fat, stubby feet. Because my feet are so wide, most toeboxes start to cause an untold amount of discomfort after a certain amount of miles. Within a few months, I can rub big fat holes into the sides of toeboxes...not to mention -- particularly with the Brooks -- that after three months of intense running, I started to feel pains all the way up to my hips. Especially after running in minimalist-themed shoes the last two years, I hate heavy, ungainly shoes, and my feet and knees do as well.

So, I took a risk. I went to a fancy-pants runner-shoe place and had them watch my stride and then help me pick a respective shoe. They told me I'm a bit of an under-pronator. I told them I had very fat feet, but wanted shoes that were light, minimally supported but not as bald as Vibrams. The store recommended the Altra Women's Lone Peak 1.5. While they were a bit more obnoxious than what I was used to, the stats matched up: they had a wide toebox, and an untold amount of inner and outer heel (as well as toe) protection and they were incredibly light -- moreso than the minimalist Brooks I'd struggled with over the last year.

And then? Well, I feel in love.

Here are my excessive "PROS" for the shoes:
1: Break-in period was blessedly minimal and relatively painless. Within a week of buying these shoes, I started running 4.5 - 6 mi on a variety of terrain: snow, dirt and asphalt. The shoes performed beautifully. I never found my feet overheating, and even with the "minimalist" tag, my feet still felt fresh after hitting the halfway point.
2: My fat feet were very, very happy. I've been cursed for such a long time to having to force my feet into tight shoes, but the toebox in the Altra was perfect; no rubbing, no chafing, and no fat-foot shaming.
3: Inner/outer/toe heel protection excellent. I am intrinsically a klutz, and on longer runs, I'm prone to not watching where I'm looking and stub my toes/feet without fail. The protection on these shoes has been damn near indestructible, and useful. I highly appreciate the thicker material on the toe and sides.
4: No holes, scuffs or noticeable damage until month 11. From January - May, I was running about 45 miles/week. I'm used to running shoes wearing out by the fifth month, but these bad boys held their poise until November. Since it's been nearly a year, it's about time to upgrade anyway, but I was highly impressed by their durability.

CONS
1: If you're a half-sizer such as myself, go up half a size. I currently wearthe 9's, and they fit beautifully, but I would be wary of buying anything exact to size if I can help it. So there's that.
2: The weird foot-plank in the back is goofy. I never could figure out what the hell its purpose was. I started to clip my shoe-chains onto it when I went running in icy/snowy weather, but it was still a bit weird. And sometimes I lost my shoe-chain, which was annoying to backtrack and hunt down. Perhaps it provides more stability or traction? I'm not sure, but it's always been my one complaint about the design.

IN CONCLUSION: I really, really, really, really love these shoes. My feet -- which have suffered mightily the last few years as I've experimented with minimalist running -- have been so happy and comfortable with these shoes. While I'm sad I'm going to have to retire my current pair, I will not hesitate to buy the Lone Peak again. These have been absolutely excellent shoes, and well-worth their price.

Bogs Women's Classic High Waterproof Insulated Boot, Black
Bogs Women's Classic High Waterproof Insulated Boot, Black
Price: Click here to see our price
15 used & new from $91.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Awww yiss, boots for any weather, November 30, 2014
I didn't buy these boots because they were pretty. I didn't buy them because they'd compliment my calves, or make me look taller or thinner. I already have riding boots for that, and while they're pretty and pretty comfortable and they make me feel pretty, they're absolute garbage in anything resembling actual winter or rough weather.

I live in Wyoming, and our winters are notorious for being unmerciful and unrelenting. After experiencing highs of -30 for three days straight, and landing on my butt in front of people at least three times because my riding boots were garbage in actual winter conditions, I decided to take the plunge and buy myself some proper winter boots, looks be damned. About a week in, here's the verdict:

PROS:
>Warm warm warm warm warm. So warm. And comfy. My feet feel loved.
>Excellent traction. A little bit sketchy on some black ice, but overall, I'm confident that if I walk somewhere, I won't embarrass myself slipping on ice.
>My feet are somewhat janky, but the arch support feels solid.
>Definitely buy a half-size up; I'm an 8.5 but bought a 9, and I'm not disappointed.
>Bogs don't look so ugly you'd be ashamed to wear them in public. But they do have the air of workboots. If you're okay with that, then you'll love them.

CONS:
>Unfortunately, I can be a bit of a gym rat, and as a result, I have been cursed with rather muscular calves. As such, these boots are a little bit -- TIGHTER -- than I'd like. It's not so much so that I feel like my legs are being strangled, but the calf fit does take some getting used to.
>Arch support is...okay. I have some plantar faccitis (I spelled that wrong), and as a result, I feel these boots are going to be a bit painful to wear in. But they feel forgiving, so that's a start.

TO BE SEEN:
1: How do they fare in deep snow?
2: What about slush?
3: And extreme blizzardy death cold?

As the season goes on, I shall answer these questions. As of now, however, I don't regret this purchase in the slightest. Highly recommended.

New Balance GPS Runner Lime
New Balance GPS Runner Lime
5 used & new from $86.95

3.0 out of 5 stars I have a love/hate relationship with this watch., May 29, 2014
This review is from: New Balance GPS Runner (Sports)
Last fall, I began running with the triathalon club at my university. I quickly noticed that a: everyone had a bulky-ass watch that let them know what they were running, b: the watches were expensive, but c: they seemed helpful in setting distance goals and observe running patterns.

Because I am in college and stereotypically fill my billet as a poor college student, I couldn't afford a Garmin MEGAMAN-something whatever which would almost cost a month's rent for me. However, I did want to get a GPS watch to start seeing my running behavior and make some concrete goals. So, I did some researchin', found the New Balance, and for $60 decided it was worth the try.

Let's start with the PROS:
>Holds many, many runs. Internal memory ain't half bad.
>Great little options, and set-up options; I enjoy the fact that I can see my fastest running time and slowest, my average speed and the approximate amount of calories I burned during a run.
>Clouds don't seem to effect it...entirely. (more on that later).
>Not too big, awkward or uncomfortable.
>Great feature for automatic light-up functions: you set up the time you want the watch to automatically light up if buttons are pressed while running. It can be enormously helpful.
>(Generally) Very accurate with distance. I tested this girl at a track before going running with her, and she seemed to be keeping with the distances on the track very well.
>Mountains and hills didn't seem to be too much of a problem...in MOST locations.

CONS
>Shamefully flimsy wristband. I had this watch no more than three months before the pin in one of the bands broke off. I glued the watch back together with metal epoxy and went on my merry way, but the durability of the wristband was very disappointing.
>Confusing button layout; sometimes gets in the ways of runs, or messes up lap-times/etc if you're particular or want your information to be accurate.
>The most bipolar, inconsistent GPS location I have ever dealt with. My experience in GPS technology is limited, but this watch's inconsistent GPS detection is sometimes embarassing. There will be days where I will stand in the same exact spot in my driveway that I've stood days before, on a clear day, and the watch will take more than ten minutes to detect OR won't detect at all. Other times, on cloudy or rainy days, it'll detect just fine. This can be very frustrating.
>Inconsistent GPS = some really weird run times. I have ran routes with this watch that I've ran countless times before, and it will suddenly alert me I'm hitting a mile mark I know I'm nowhere near. Other times, it'll tell me I've blitzed my first, all uphill mile in 6:30. Now, I'm not the slowest of slow, but I'm no Olympian either, and I know that kind of time is nowhere near accurate.

SUMMARY: If you want something cheap, to give you goals of something more majestic and expensive later, the New Balance GPS watch is not a bad start. This watch has some pretty neat features for a minimal price, but it is NOT the most reliable of creatures. You have to be patient, self-starting and persevere with this watch, because sometimes it will try its damndest to drive you insane.

In the end, buy carefully. Remember the old adage: you get what you pay for.

LG VN251 VN 251 COSMOS 2 Verizon Wireless Slider Keyboard Bluetooth Cell Phone
LG VN251 VN 251 COSMOS 2 Verizon Wireless Slider Keyboard Bluetooth Cell Phone
Offered by Mobilecom USA
Price: $44.95
35 used & new from $13.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Beloved Basic Phone, May 29, 2014
As a Generation Y-er, you'd think at the age of 22 I'd already blitzed through 3 smartphones by now. However, I haven't, and up until three months ago, this ol' girl had been my telecommunication source for three years.

I like to ramble, so let's get the basic summaries out of the way first.

PRO'S:
>Damn near indestructible
>Great reception in most mountain-y parts of the western U.S./outdoor places/etc
>Love the QWERTY board.
>Camera quality not bad for tiny phone.
>Very reliable.
>Good quality sound. Speakerphone worked reasonably well.

CON'S
>Did not appear to enjoy making calls in basements or underground areas.
>A bit slower as the years progressed
>Miserable internal memory.
>Tiny screen meant that I couldn't enjoy some of the photos I took myself on the phone or received from others.

SUMMATION: At its heart, this old girl did what a phone was meant to do back in the day: take and make reliable calls, text quickly and efficiently and survive all the abuse you could throw at it. I could wax poetic about this little phone. It was not of regal blood like an iPhone or Droid, but it served its purpose reliably for over three years. In my book, that's not half bad. If you want a basic phone with no heartache, and love the wonder of texting with QWERTY, LG Cosmos is a great, inexpensive option.

Five Hundred Years: America in the World
Five Hundred Years: America in the World
by Scott E. Casper
46 used & new from $1.18

1.0 out of 5 stars COLLEGE KIDS! DON'T BUY THIS EDITION, BECAUSE IT IS FAR TOO EXPENSIVE AND NOT WORTH EATING RAMEN FOR THREE MONTHS, February 25, 2013
Hi, there! I, too, like you, had my arm twisted by the wondrous college-textbook industry into buying many books I did not need nor ever use again. Ever.

In light of this, I find it prudent to suggest to students needing FIVE HUNDRED YEARS: AMERICAN IN THE WORLD that instead of getting that super-expensive 5th Edition, they instead buy the super-cheap, don't-have-to-eat-ramen-budget 4th edition. It is -- to a T -- the SAME EXACT BOOK. The only (and I mean only) difference between the two editions is that a few of the works have been switched around. That's it. Literally.

So, do yourselves a favor and screw over the college text book industry by buying yourself the exact same and much cheaper 4th Edition.

I think your wallet and your stomach will thank you.

(They thanked me, anyway, when I bought the 4th instead of the 5th edition.)

Casio Women's BGD140-1ACR Baby-G Shock-Resistant Multi-Function Digital Watch
Casio Women's BGD140-1ACR Baby-G Shock-Resistant Multi-Function Digital Watch
Offered by WATCH CITY
Price: $60.93
26 used & new from $59.80

4.0 out of 5 stars A Badass Looking Watch for the Lady Folk, November 1, 2012
I'll admit that I've always wanted a black-face watch because I saw my male counterparts with them and thought they looked wicked cool. On top of this, I'm a major time-freak and -- although I've been pretty fine with the $5 watches from Walmart -- I really wanted to finally buy something that looked durable and was made well. I'm not gentle with the stuff I own, and I wanted to finally get a watch I knew wouldn't deteriorate after six months of use (Walmart watches fall apart like clockwork -- literally).

I imagine I'll be editing this review as I get more comfortable with the Baby G. This being said, I ordered the watch four days ago and was blown away by how fast it got to me. Looks great, and the instructions to get it set-up were pretty straight forward.

In regards to wear and appearance and other stuff like functions:
1: The watch band is a bit stiff right now, but I imagine that will begin to go away the more it's worn. (re: update, yes! Does become less stiff with time).
2: My biggest concern when I bought this was that it would like oversized and manly on my wrist. Much to my happiness, it is a good lady's watch. The face isn't too big, and the band isn't too obtrusive. It looks like a solid women's athletic watch without becoming Spec-Ops bulky in size.
3: The Baby-G has an awesome countdown stopwatch feature that I think I'm going to love: Set up the buttons the right way, and it actually gives you a five-second countdown to starting the stopwatch, with the last three seconds beeping an alarm at you before zero.

UPDATE:

Still good watch. Still would buy again. But with some minor grievances to be noted.

1: As I ski and work up in the mountains, I tend to operate in some nippy temperatures. I've noticed that once I'm in an environment where the temperature is less than 10degrees F, the face of the watch starts to fog up. To me, this is an indication that somewhere in that neat little watch there is a little bit of moisture that has leaked in. Whether it be from me swimming every other day or from a little crack that has yet to reveal itself, I do not like this.
2: This is more of a whiner design thing than anything else: I really wish that while I was in stopwatch mode, I could still see the time. I used to have a TIMEX digital and one of my favorite perks of the watch was while in stopwatch mode, I could still see the actual time in the upper left hand corner. Unfortunately, the little Baby G does not do this.
3: Yes, it is hard to see the face in bright conditions. It is even harder with sunglasses. Not a big complaint, but definitely an observation. You will have to bump the light-up button to see the time occasionally.

UPDATE 2: Wristband woes
After two years of hard use, the wristband on this watch finally started to fail. I initially tried to metal epoxy it back together (this has worked previously with other watches), but to no avail. As a result, I had to go on a great and epic voyage to find a Casio wristband that would fit this watch.

As is custom with the free-market and those who use it, Casio likes to make money. With that in mind, within two years of your watch's model being introduced, they will retract the wristband for said watch, so that you cannot has. For those who are not stubborn, determined and/or poor, this usually incites them to just go buy a new watch and chuck the old one. But I am stubborn and poor, so I was determined to find something that could work.

In my case, it was ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to find the exact wristband for this watch. So I improvised. I took measurements of the band, carefully eyeballed my way through numerous Ebay and Amazon's postings and decided upon the following as a replacement:

Casio Genuine Replacement Strap for Baby G Watch Model-BG169A-1A, BG-169A-1B, BG-169A-1C

It is not the EXACT, matte-black wristband that came with your BDG140; in fact, it is a bit shiny and more plasticky, but it fits perfectly well with some delicate/fine-pointed flathead and Phillips screwdriver work and an awful lot of cursing. IT IS A MATCH IN TERMS OF CLASP SIZE, BUT THE LENGTH IS GREATER AND THE BAND IS SHINIER. If you're willing to compromise these things to keep using your excellent watch, it's a great replacement.

IN SUMMATION: still an excellent watch, but a bit peeved at how Casio pulled the exact band for the watch. Nonetheless, if you're stubborn and pigheaded like I am, you'll be able to find a solution.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2013 11:00 AM PDT

V for Vendetta: Music From The Motion Picture
V for Vendetta: Music From The Motion Picture
Offered by CAC Media
Price: $11.23
60 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't have everything...None the less, it's not a waste., April 10, 2006
I bought this two days after seeing the movie due to the fact that more than a few of the songs from Dario Martinelli were stuck in my head.

The first day, alas, was dissapointment. I got through the first five tracks and besides Julie London's beautifully sang "Cry Me A River" I wasn't impressed. But I decided to stick through it. Second day, I listened to tracks 5-10 and abruptly there was a lot more for me to be happy about. All these tracks start rather slowly, and I think originally that's what put me off. But if you wait a minute, or just enjoy it where it is, suddenly you'll feel a lot better about what you're listening to. The theme in "V" is rather catchy. It's dark but fast-paced, and I think that's what I appreciated about it.

Remember, Remember: Eh. Not exactly the best start. The crack of the drums is nice, but altogether it's a little too slow in the beginning to give attention. Give or take a minute and it get's more interesting, with the theme underlying all the strings and whatnot.

Cry Me A River: Beautiful. I love this song and Julie London has a voice reminicent of Billy Holiday. Soulful and something we can all relate to, this is a great track to cool down to.

"...Governments Should Be Afraid of Their People.": Not bad. The main theme sticks out in this one, and we get a look at the dark mood that prevails throughout the entire soundtrack and movie. Once again, if you're patient, the brilliance pops through.

Evey's Story: Not one of my favorites. The switch between the fast-paced violence of Evey's parents being black-bagged and the quiet memory in the beginning is a little too abrupt for me to really get into and adjust. I don't find myself liking the blaring of the French horns in this one, though in others it's fine.

The Red Diary: Curious. It has a lot of optimism in the beginning, but gradually you see the despair in it. Altogether: A nice track. Not the best but not the worst, either.

Lust at the Abbey: I particularly like this one, actually. The choir in the beginning is an interesting, macabre touch. As the tension rises the choir rises as well, and it's good to make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Valerie: My absolute favorite. The beginning--eh, but two minutes in an entirely brilliant cello solo starts up, followed shortly thereafter by the strings, and the song suddenly becomes very interesting. The switch then to Valerie's story is a classy touch as well, and the piano gives it a melancholy feel.

Evey Reborn: See above. The main points classify. Two minutes in, the song begins to expand itself and though the music mainly consists of whole notes, it really gives the impression of being "reborn". Great track.

I Found A Reason: Like "Cry Me a River" this is a very intimate and well sung track. The singer has a very interesting voice, not like anything I've ever heard before, and it made for a curious track.

England Prevails: The drum rolls and march-like tempo makes the atmosphere come across as totaltarian and desperate...which it is. Once again, like many of the tracks in "Vendetta" this takes patience. Give it a day of listening and you'll enjoy it.

The Dominoes Fall: Another favorite. This is a song that you can tell is right before the climax of the movie, when everything begins to fall into place, and it just...fits.

Bird Gurhl: I didn't really like this one. The singing was a little too unusual for me to get into and the melody wasn't something I could get into.

Knives and Bullets (And Cannons Too): An excellent finale. The battle-scene's theme is quick and brutal, something that you can keep up with. And the resolution afterwards? Great as well. Ending with Trakolsky's (ugh, totally spelled that wrong) 1812 Overture is a fun yet at the same time sad twist. Through V's death we see his rather eccentric personality and love for music.

Altogether: Don't poo-poo this soundtrack just because it doesn't have all the songs in there. Even without them it is an amazing listen. Give it a day or two and graudally it'll grow on you. Beautiful all around.

Once a Thief
Once a Thief
by Kay Hooper
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.50
217 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Plot? What plot?, November 1, 2005
There is no plot, just to clarify for the later readers of this review. Alas, this is the first of Hooper's books I've read and it might be the last the way was written.

Oh yeah, a plot summary: The main idea is that there's this woman who's a curator for a museum, and she has this nagging "feeling" that something is amiss. Call it intuition if you wish. She might be feeling spooked because she has this giant exhibit quickly approaching and that there is a lot at stake if something gets messed up. So about that "feeling"...She goes on a date w/ this guy who, coincidentally is also a curator for a museum (no!) and along the way, her date gets knocked out and she suddenly comes face-to-face with the very debonair superthief Quinn.

Now, I might be a party pooper or something around those lines, but the way the story was written it absolutely posivitely did not, in any way, shape, or form, follow the back of this book. When the book says: she meets a thief and finds secrets, everyone is like, alllllrighty then and moves on. But the plot doesn't even follow that. In short, she meets the thief and falls in love with him, which doesn't make sense because he IS a thief and he IS after her museum.

I guess that the Quinn thing was annoying because the dialouge did not follow a sense of realism. If you were racing down a darkened museum hallway running from someone w/ a gun and suddenly someone just grabbed you, chances are minutes later you would not be having a fine and festive and suggestive conversation. This book, says "Realism, what's that?" and goes about its unrealism anyway. It just didn't seem real that what was happening in this book was happening. I guess what I'm saying is that if my review is confusing (which it is, even I have trouble following it) than it is because this book is confusing. The plot drifts. It drags. It all but throws itself off a building to get your attention. And maybe it succeeds. I must admit, I did read this book in one day, but most of the time I'd stop on a page and skim forward to see if anything, anything at all, had a spark of action. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. However, this book just didn't add up.

It tried to be a mystery, but wound up being a poorly done romance, and I must say, that genre is something I despise... which might be why the grade is 2**, not even one, mind you.

So, if there are better Hooper books, then please, suggest them to me and spare me from this. This is one of her books that just does not add up and, as a result, leaves very befuddled readers in its wake.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3