Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Melissa F. Fields > Reviews

Browse

Melissa F. Fields' Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Melissa F. Fields RSS Feed (Upper Marlboro, MD)

Spelling Three - Letter Words
Spelling Three - Letter Words
by Buster Books
Edition: Board book
4 used & new from $14.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Kinah's Mom, March 29, 2007
I purchased this book for my three year old. I felt it was a bit too advanced but she's handling the book fine. She does know her phonics sounds. She puts the word together like a puzzle and then sounds out the word.

Melissa & Doug Pattern Blocks and Boards
Melissa & Doug Pattern Blocks and Boards
Price: $17.49
102 used & new from $14.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Kinah's Mom, November 6, 2006
We LOVE this puzzle. It keeps my 3 year old busy for a long time. There are so many different ways to use this puzzle. I agree with the other reviewers that the pieces slide around easily on the puzzle boards and that can become frustrating. But there are a myriad of other creative ways to use the puzzle for the cognitive benefit of your child. We use this puzzle for sorting shapes. I put one of each shape into it's own bowl and she sorts all the other pieces into the correct bowl, following my lead. Then after the sorting process is completed, we use the sorted shapes to make patterns, i.e, octagon, square, octagon, square, octagon, square, etc., She enjoys pouring the shapes from bowl to bowl - it's amazing how long this keeps her occupied. We have also used the shapes to make objects, i.e., flowers, sun, rocket ship, snowman, etc., We've used the puzzle to show same/equal, for example two green triangles put together are the same size (or make the same shape) as one yellow diamond.

Or six triangles put together at the points make one octagon. I overlay the octagon on top of the triangles that form an octagon to show that they are equal. It can be used to teach/re-enforce colors, shapes, left, right, top, bottom, positions, etc., I highly highly recommend this puzzle. The reason I gave 4 stars as opposed to 5 is because the puzzle boards let the shaped-puzzle pieces slip around easily. Even with that one drawback, the puzzle actually does deserve 5 stars.

Sesame Street - Fiesta! [VHS]
Sesame Street - Fiesta! [VHS]
Offered by Clambooks
Price: $15.00
24 used & new from $3.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Kinah's Mom, September 18, 2006
My three year old is taking a Spanish Dance and Language Program at her Pre-school on a weekly basis. I bought this video to enhance what she's learning in her spanish class. The words taught in spanish are: numbers from 1-10, Good Morning, Good Evening, Let's Go, Siesta, Fiesta, Amigo, and more. She LOVES to watch this video. We danced around the house to the Conga. Clapped our hands to the beat and repeated words in spanish. The video is a plus for helping preschoolers develop rhythm and pronounciation. Cultural diversity (acceptance and awareness) are important concepts for even preschoolers to acquire. I give this video a big thumbs up. As a sidebar, we have purchased several "Dora" products, but this video by far is much more fun!

What Is a Bellybutton?: First Questions and Answers About the Human Body
What Is a Bellybutton?: First Questions and Answers About the Human Body
by Fqa
94 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Kinah's Mom, September 12, 2006
I read some of the pages of this book to my three-year daughter on last night. We are working on minor body parts (wrists, ankle, heel, thigh, under arms, etc.,). We sang: The Five Senses Song; Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes; Dem Bones, Dem Bones. We did the nursery rhyme, "Where is Thumbkin" --- traced her hand on paper and pointed to body parts on her doll. This book is great addition! I'm not sure she understands every word but it does provoke discussion on the body. It has a page on tickling, wearing eyeglasses, hiccups, why we eat, and more. The pictures have lots to look at and discuss. I'm sure we'll read this book over and over, she enjoyed the book! Mommy and preschooler are pleased.

Sesame Street - Getting Ready to Read [VHS]
Sesame Street - Getting Ready to Read [VHS]
12 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Kinah's Mom, September 1, 2006
I purchased this video to introduce, reinforce and rehearse pre-reading skills with my 3 year old. This video features members of the Sesame Street Gang: ryhming, sounding out words, and playing with word families. The video subtily teaches the left to right direction for reading and reinforces phonics. The songs are catchy, which helps preschoolers to retain the concepts. My daugther is learning the songs and progessing forward in reading readiness quite well. I highly recommend this video for parents that want their children to have a strong foundation for reading.

Let's Color!  (Kumon First Step Workbooks)
Let's Color! (Kumon First Step Workbooks)
by Kumon
Price: $5.95
141 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Kinah's Mom, August 8, 2006
I purchased this workbook for my three year old, noting that the workbook is suggested for 2 year olds and up. My daughter has already developed the intial fine motor skills for tracing her name, painting, coloring, pasting, modeling clay, using spray bottles, drawing circles, lines, rectangles, stick figures, etc., I purchased this workbook with the hope that we would re-trace any steps in the fine motor skill process that we may have missed. The book opens having the child draw "spaghetti" on a colorful plate in the workbook, draw the "dots" on a red strawberry, draw "raindrops" on a rainy day scene in the workbook. Several pages instruct the child to color in a white circle in the middle of a colorful object (i.e., a lemon, egg plant, green pepper, etc., Then the child will color in white squares on colorful objects. We have had fun with the workbook. And I'm hoping this practice book contributes postively to her penmanship and coloring.

Smart Songs for Kids 1
Smart Songs for Kids 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Kinah's Mom, August 7, 2006
This review is from: Smart Songs for Kids 1 (Audio CD)
This CD is invaluable in reinforcing preschool concepts at home. The songs are very catchy and repetitive, which makes it easy to learn these concepts. I was looking for a CD or video that counted beyond the number 20, which was very difficult. Gratefully, I came across this CD, which has a song that counts all the way to 100! My 3 year old and I listened last night and we were both delighted. Undoubtedly, this is a CD that we will listen to repeatedly. I highly recommend this CD, neither you or your preschooler will be disappointed.

Fun Learning Songs Music CD
Fun Learning Songs Music CD
22 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Shekinah's Mom, July 20, 2006
This is a tape that "sings" many important preschool concepts. Singing makes the learning process easy for preschoolers. My daughter is 3 and in her preschool environment she has learned and is learning many of the concepts "sang by children" on this tape. I use this CD to review the concepts that she knows and to further acquaint her with skills that she is acquiring. Song # 8 is BINGO ... I used this song to teach my daughter how to spell her name. After your child has learned the BINGO song, substitute the letters in her name into the medley and your child will learn to spell their name in no time flat. We listen to Song # 5 "Sing Thru the Year" a couple of times a week. In her preschool class they are learning the months and me further reinforcing the months through the song on this CD is accelerating the learning process. She knows her shapes. But soon we will use tract 13 and 14 to help her draw her shapes. I think this is a great took in the hands of a Mom that wants to facilitate their preschoolers/kindergarteners learning and retention of these vital concepts.

Leap Frog - Talking Words Factory [VHS]
Leap Frog - Talking Words Factory [VHS]
Offered by Blue Ridge Mountain Books
Price: $9.99
35 used & new from $0.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Shekinah's Mom, July 17, 2006
AMAZING! I sat with my 3-year old daughter and watched this video last night and I was amazed at how Leap Frog has simplified the concepts of reading. We already had the CD and the flashcard set and we've listened to the CD many times (mostly just playing it as background sound to other activities: i.e., bathing, playing, writing, painting etc.,). Because of this, when she saw this video for the first time, she was trying to sing along. I am tickled pink with the idea of her reading before 4 years of age. The CD and flashcard set, the Letter Factory video/DVD, and the Talking Words Factory video/DVD are a God-send. You've got to get the trio and no doubt your preschooler will be ready to start Kindergarten with strong pre-reading/reading skills.

See How They Grow: Insects & Spiders [VHS]
See How They Grow: Insects & Spiders [VHS]
Offered by Eli 2000
Price: $9.98
21 used & new from $0.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Kinah's Mom, June 20, 2006
I purchased this video for my three year old. She loved it! Excitedly she said, "Mommy look at the Lady Bug. Look at the Spider." It kept her mesmerized. My husband watched along with us. I have to tell you, I learned a few things about insects myself.