Profile for J. Hoch > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Hoch RSS Feed

CowboyStudio Stainless Steel SF Screw for Camera Quick Release Neck Shoulder Strap

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional, June 25, 2014
The screw works well to attach a strap to the tripod mount. It was larger than I expected and the yoke is square, instead of rounded as in the picture. This is not a problem though. It rotates independently of the screw, so it cannot unscrew itself. I like mine.

MAXAH® Surge Protector All in One Universal Worldwide Travel Wall Charger AC Power AU UK US EU Plug Adapter Adaptor(With New Packing).
Offered by MAXAH®
Price: $6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally poorly designed and frighteningly unsafe, June 25, 2014
All three region's plugs are spring loaded on the same side of the device. They are all connected. The American plugs remain exposed when the British plugs are in use (and vice versa). The plugs do not retract completely so they can make contact while the other plug in in use.

I stayed in a flat in Britain that had metal faceplate on the electrical outlets. When I plugged this converter in, the American plug made contact with the metal. Sparks shot out. A major burn mark was left on the wall and some of the metal wall plate had either melted or been electrolyzed away. The same happened to the prong of the American plug. It blew all of the circuit breakers, not just for my flat, but for the whole building.

I had two of these devices. One day I went to unplug the second. As I did, my hand gently brushed the unlock button for the American plug. It snapped out with spring loaded power and made contact with my little finger. A powerful shock went through my body, I shrieked like a little girl and the muscles in my arm contracted, throwing the plug across the room.

The fact that the plug of one region can be plugged in and the other regions plugs are not insulated or protected well makes this converter quite dangerous. I have ended up using electrical tape to ensure no further contacts from plugs that are not in use.

In addition, the plugs are very finicky. The plug must be jiggled and repositioned to receive current. I have found that if I don't quite push it in all the way, the device actually works. They are not quite defective, but I thought they were at first.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2015 11:44 AM PDT

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 4-Inches (10 Centimeters) - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Too thick plastic!, November 7, 2013
It works and it is nice to have a short cable, but the plastic around the USB and Lightning cable attachments is too thick. This makes it incompatible with certain iphone cases, and certain configurations for plugging it into the computer.

The Modern Lovers
The Modern Lovers
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. A classic, February 11, 2013
This review is from: The Modern Lovers (MP3 Music)
This is a Great album and the recording is great quality. Each song is a gem. HIghlights include "I'm Straight", "Pable Picasso" and "She Cracked"

Shimano SP-18-T Bottom Bracket Cable Guide
Shimano SP-18-T Bottom Bracket Cable Guide
Offered by Trail This
Price: $4.09
17 used & new from $1.35

3.0 out of 5 stars need more info on compatability, November 25, 2011
Not enough information about compatability, but it is okay overall. The screw attaching it is oddly sized and will not fit all bicycle frames. It's just a screw though. I got a different screw and was ready to ride.

Badass: The Birth of a Legend: Spine-Crushing Tales of the Most Merciless Gods, Monsters, Heroes, Villains, and Mythical Creatures Ever Envisioned (Badass Series)
by Ben Thompson
Price: $11.47
95 used & new from $0.02

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved my life!, April 4, 2011
As a student of awesomely hilarious accounts of historical and mythological hijinks, I was one of the first in line when Badass: The Birth of a Legend was released. I immediately skipped out on work to read it. Unfortunately, right at that moment I was attacked by ninjas. Shurikens to the left of me, katanas to the right, I jumped up and ran like the wind. The ninjas pursued, but I turned a corner and was face to face with a clan of Norwegian berserkers! Before I could pray to Krom for help, I was caught in an epic showdown between these legendary warrior classes. I thought to myself, "what would author, Ben Thompson, do in this situation?" I thus sat down and started taking notes on the expletives uttered by the various battlers when they were kicked in the sternums, the ribcage, the stomach and the buttocks. Suddenly, a maurading band of pygmy warriors appeared in the melee. I shielded myself from their poison blow-darts with the book. I was the sole survivor of that terrifying ordeal.

With my life newly saved, I returned home with my treasured book, Badass: The Birth of a Legend, and despite the pinhole from the darts and the stains from the poison, that book sits in a place of honor upon the tank of my toilet. I read selections from it every time I poop.

Badass: A Relentless Onslaught of the Toughest Warlords, Vikings, Samurai, Pirates, Gunfighters, and Military Commanders to Ever Live (Badass Series)
by Ben Thompson
Price: $14.55
134 used & new from $0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life (for the better), October 29, 2009
Attention Universe: BADASS: A relentless onlaught of the toughest warlords, vikings, samurai, pirates, gunfighters and military commanders to ever live is the greatest work of literature in the history of the written word.

#1: BADASS is very, very good. So good, it is as though Odin himself reached into Valhalla, chose the 40 best heros of history and penned their history into this wonderfully illustrated tome.

#2: After I purchased BADASS, I opened the book to the Library of Congress page. I was immediately slapped in the face by the sheer awesomeness of it. I was transported through history and witnessed, FIRST HAND, the amazing exploits of the legendary historic characters. Once I regained consciousness I actually read it.

#3: This book is so funny that I laughed until my nose bled. I got blood on the pages of the book (it seemed appropriate), but the blood was absorbed by the pages. I think the book was feeding on it.

#4: The information in this book is all historically accurate. And I should know. I work at a university.

[...]
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2013 5:03 AM PST

Captain Carrot and the Final Ark
Captain Carrot and the Final Ark
by Bill Morrison
24 used & new from $14.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back..., August 3, 2008
To the good old days when I was a young lad reading comics in the back of my parents station wagon.