Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Profile for paradise_found > Reviews

Browse

paradise_found's Profile

Customer Reviews: 379

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"paradise_found" RSS Feed (Musicland, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort meets Style, January 25, 2003
I've never been much of one for fancy shoes. Sure, I love the way they look, but I end up wearing them once, then stowing them to the ever-growing stash in the bottom of my closet.
When I bought this shoe in the blushing bride/heather color last fall from a catalog, I expected another candidate for that stack in my closet. A shoe with the playful, sporty, yet somehow feminine details of this one simply isn't practical...right?
Then they came and I tried them on.
I hate to admit it, but I am now a Puma athletic shoe addict. Every pair is sporty and trendy, yet has a classical styling that is somehow sophisticated and traditional. They work for me because they're pracitcal enough to go running in, but stylish enough to wear with jeans or a sporty minidress.
There's not much else to say. These are the most comfortable cute shoes I've ever had, plain and simple. They are, by far, the most versatile shoes I've ever owned. BUY THEM!

The Beatles 1
The Beatles 1
Price: $16.60
345 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously Underrated, January 24, 2003
This review is from: The Beatles 1 (Audio CD)
I don't know about you, but I grew up listening to the Beatles and hearing about them from my parents and recognizing the poor efforts of new artists to copy or reinvent what only John and Paul had the ingenuity to create.
I hate that when I come to this compilation-- the compilation of their number one hits-- people say things like "this isn't a good collection of Beatles songs." Okay folks, you knew this was going to be the collection of their HITS, not the underground recordings, not all the songs that made Top 10 but not #1. Did you really think "I Am the Walrus" would be on here if you're the big Beatles buff who knows all their singles by release date?
The CD is *excellent* quality, beautiful music, wonderful, inventive, genius. Those of you who feel it necessary to bash it just because it didn't include some song that you like and no one else heard of.. you know, they're hoping that, by releasing this album, people will go back and buy the remastered discs. I personally still wish it would have included "Here Comes the Sun" off of Abbey Road, but it wasn't a #1. I'm more realistic than to expect them just to put it on here for me.
It goes from the beginning of their career-- their first big hits like "Love Me Do" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" all the way to the later material (my favorite half of the album), the songs like "The Ballad of John and Yoko," "The Long and Winding Road," "Eleanor Rigby," and "Hey Jude."
It covers more than just love, the way most sixties/seventies compilation discs do. It covers the way love affects your life, it covers the media's scrutiny of celebrities, it covers the pointlessness of despair and unhappiness. It's a genuine, soulful, incredible collection of songs, spanning roughly two decades of music. Every five songs or so, you can detect a slight change in the style and arrangement of songs as time went on. But it always works.
Anything less than five stars for the Beatles 1?
No, I think not. Buy this.. just because your albums are worn out from overplaying the #1's off them!

The Young and the Hopeless
The Young and the Hopeless
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $12.79
268 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Young and Overrated, January 21, 2003
... I will say that the CD is okay. There are songs on here that have a meaning and are fun to listen to... but this is an average album and I think 5 stars would be entirely too liberal for it.
My major problem with the meanings in the songs.. they all seem to say the same thing. "Our lives are so hard, our father left us." It's literally in at least every other song they've written. But what do we hear in that Grade-A punk song "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous?" How celebrities complain about how tough they've got it!
Hmmm. Okay? I guess that wouldn't apply to the Madden twins.. no they never complain about the hard life.
The songs range from fun and happy to just plain pointless.. and while nothing on here is as laughable as "Superman Can't Walk" (??), there are some some that this disc would have been a lot better without.
The tracks I originally liked ("The Anthem," "Lifestyles," "Bloody Valentine," "Hold On," "Day That I Die" and "Emotionless") have worn out their welcome quickly.. especially since they're played on the radio here EVERY TEN MINUTES. But I can recognize real music and vocal talent in those, and I'm still able to appreciate "Hold On."
Unfortunately, the rest of the CD fluctuates somewhere between corny and boring.. not an unusual thing from a CD.. so why all the praise? Are we on the verge of another "new" kind of boy band invading the world?
I don't mean to trash the CD with this review. I like this album enough.. but I don't think it's "excellent" or "awesome" as everyone else here is heralding it. It has some good material on it and it has some bad material on it. I'd probably like it a lot more, though, if their songs weren't quite so overplayed.

Freak of Nature
Freak of Nature
Price: $12.76
146 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Enormous Improvement Over the Last One.., January 15, 2003
This review is from: Freak of Nature (Audio CD)
I'm not much a fan of the pop genre these days, but there are a few singers that can make me stop dead in my tracks and hold me there, captivated, by voices as easy to love as hot fudge sundaes.
Anastacia is one of these singers, admirable for her songwriting skills as well as her impeccable range of voice. She sings each note on this disc with unmistakable raw emotion.. and adds her own flair to even the most traditional-souding songs.
I especially like the first track.. it's incorporation of funk, hip-hop, trance and jazz makes it stand out (perhaps a bit too noticably) on the otherwise jazzy-pop sound of the album. The lyrics are unforgettable and it's a fun song to listen to.
The two star tracks that have yet to become singles -- "Paid My Dues" and "Overdue Goodbye"-- are gentle songs for the most part. They both have catchy hooks, but biting lyrics ("This is a calling, not a conversation"). Both are sung with a genuine feeling, but they refrain from being too slow just to show of Anastacia's range.
Tracks 5 & 6 are greatly different from each other, but the former is probably the best display of her voice while the latter displays her songwriting. And while "One Day In Your Life" does have great lyrics.. one listen to "How Come The World Won't Stop" and you'll see what I mean.. it captures happiness and heartache perfectly without missing a beat (no pun intended).
Track 7 is great... but it was on her debut CD. Why include it again?
The rest of the CD recaptures the feelings of her last release. Dull music.. but great lyrics and vocals. It sounds like she's just trying to come up with some melody quickly to accompany the song. It's because of this quality of music that I didn't like her last CD much. She has grown immensely and made a real name for herself. There's no denying she has a tremendous amount of talent, and I think with time, she could be one of music's saviors for 2004/2005. With a little more growth, you're looking at a global phenomenon, not just a woman with an amazing range of voice and a few #1 songs.

Shape [Print + Kindle]
Shape [Print + Kindle]

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches Enlightenment In Your Own Beauty, January 6, 2003
This review is from: Shape [Print + Kindle] (Magazine)
I've always been a very physically active person.. I like to run and I like to work out.. but fitness magazines for women tend to be one way or the other: "Don't bother with weight loss, find inner peace with Yoga!" or "How Many Pieces of Lettuce You Can Eat A Day To Look Like Janet Jackson." Sure, it's mildly entertaining to look into varieties on either side now and then, but what about those of us who want some recipes, PRACTICAL training tips and quick workout guides?
Shape magazine stresses the points that I think are most important in a women's fitness magazine. It offers inspiring weightloss stories, quick (and edible) meals, and fun workouts to boost your regular ones along. And while some of the workout tips CAN get repetitive, just remember.. there are only so many different ways to do a sit-up. Readers of any and ALL fitness magazines know that they usually have the same exercise tips to offer over and over.
Shape encourages and enlightens. It shows a way to incorporate exercise into any lifestyle and gives you the encouragement to continue an exercise regimen-- no matter how sedentary you are.

Gutterflower
Gutterflower
Price: $7.39
243 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Sixties Reincarnation-Style Rock, December 31, 2002
This review is from: Gutterflower (Audio CD)
I'm the first to admit that the Goo-Goo Dolls aren't necessarily the band that's truest to themselves. While their songs are fabricated to go whizzing through the Top 40 Radio straight to the number one spot. And sure.. they ARE just in it for the money.. but this is their profession, right?
The album consists primarily of the tried and true sixties/seventies pop rock that was trailblazing at the time. With "Gutterflower," Johnny and the boys make it trailblazing AND fashionable once again.
My favorites from "Gutterflower" were:
"Big Machine" was one of those hit songs that you heard on every station for a few days before it seemed to vanish from the earth. Though it more than wore out it's welcome this year, it's a very interesting and thoughtful song. Not a particular favorite, but no doubt a standout.
"Here Is Gone" has essentially been stuck in my head since April or so. It's one of those songs that's so personal, it's generic. "And I want to get free...I know it's out there.." The music as well as the lyrics catch your interest.. and hold it.
By far my favorite on the album, "What A Scene" has some of the oddest and most thought-prodding lyrics. And while the series of "nah-nah's" can get annoying, for the most part it lightens the mood of this relatively dark song. Buy the album just for this one.
"Sympathy," though short, is just poetic enough that it doesn't matter. And while it is one of the melodies that needs help, the lyrics recover it.
"What Do You Need?" is more spoken than sung. It's gentle yet harsh, beautiful yet sad.
It's a very well-done album. Great to unwind with.

Dying to Please
Dying to Please
by Linda Howard
218 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Is the author referring to herself with the title?, December 30, 2002
This review is from: Dying to Please (Hardcover)
Let me start by saying this is a very well-written work. Though I'm new to Howard's work, it's not hard to tell that she is a stand-out writer. The problem comes in when she attempts to make her mystery a passion/romance thriller. And while it's not necessarily something UNFAMILIAR to the mystery/thriller category, I don't see the need for the explicit details throughout. Not only does it take away from the plot, it adds unnecessary clutter to the story. If I'd wanted a cheap romance book, I would have bought one.
The plot follows a beautiful female butler/bodygaurd, Sarah, who suddenly becomes victim to a few 'random' murders in an exclusive area of Georgia. Unfortunately, any true element of suspense is diminshed terribly by the storyline taking on the viewpoints of the other characters. While I can see the author's attempt at versatility with this, it is generally a pretty weak effort and reminds me identically of a James Patterson mystery that was out earlier this year.
It's an okay book for a long weekend at home. It just doesn't have any real stand-out qualities.

Now or Never
Now or Never
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $3.97
73 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars THIS gets five star averages?, December 30, 2002
This review is from: Now or Never (Audio CD)
I'm the first to admit that I DO like an occasional Backstreet dose and I had high hopes for this album. Despite the fact that I'm not much a fan of Nick Carter's personality I did think "Help Me" was catchy and kind of interesting. But when I got the CD I wasn't that impressed. It starts off with "Help Me," which had pretty much worn out it's welcome from all the overplay it received. The next track is somewhat interesting but also easily skipped. In my opinion, only "I Got You," with it's opener being "People tell me you stay where you belong, but all my life I've tried to prove them wrong" hooked me from the first listen. The mushy "Do I Have to Cry For You" does stand out in that I'll listen to it and not want to gag (as I usually do when listening to love ballads) and "Who Needs the World" is a good way to end the album. It's the material in between that turns me off.
From the tasteless chauvinism displayed in "I Just Wanna Take You Home" and.. even worse!.. "Miss America" all the way up to the male power-trip in "Girls in the USA," it's not hard to see Carter's genuine motives in this macho ego-fest. I think if people would take a deep breath, really listen to what he's saying.. and how extremely poorly the majority of the material on here is written, they would realize that there are a great many artists who could easily top Nick. It's not a particularly BAD album, I just don't think it's a stand-out album.

Let Go
Let Go
Price: $6.92
537 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Ordinary, Indeed, December 18, 2002
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Sometimes I say to myself- "what do people see in that Avri Lavigne chick?" Is there something to her personality that I'm supposed to like?
Pre-programmed MTV puppets ARE a dime a dozen, but that's not my issue with her. My issue is she portrays "punk society" and sings pop music. Breaking the barricades? No. A punk would never be caught singing something as dull as "Nobody's Fool." While I recognize Lavigne's desire to be her own person through expression of clothes and music- like any other teenager -I can't respect her insistence that she's genuine when she plays to her fans, becoming something she thinks they want her to be.. whatever that is at the moment.
She does have her promise as a pop musician. I can't write anything as worthwhile as "Anything But Ordinary," but I think she needs some time to mature and find herself in the industry and the world. And besides "Complicated," "Naked," and "Anything but ordinary," there's not much on here worthwhile. Her words are dull, her voice is whiny at times and her instrumentals need some serious work, for the most part. Her attempts at real punk -"Losing Grip" and "Mobile"- are worth mentioning, but wouldn't stand out on a rock station, except for their lack of true rock drive.
The CD is worse than average because besides the three tracks I mentioned, nothing on it is innovative or that clever. And while she may honestly be expressing herself, I found myself easily distracted from the CD over and over. Meaning? I didn't think it's not as captivating as everyone seems to think.
In time, Avril could be a notable talent. As it stands, I think she has a lot of growing up to do.

Full Collapse
Full Collapse
Offered by Price Clock
Price: $7.71
129 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars It's really.. um.. LOUD., December 17, 2002
This review is from: Full Collapse (Audio CD)
Sure, Thursday have their moments throughout this CD. And while I love emo, I have to say that the way they style their songs is just unpleasant. The words are good, the melodies are excellent, but they scream unidentifiably through most of their music to a point that you don't even understand what they're singing about.
It's good emo.. it's just not my favorite style of it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20