Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL
Profile for Ron Burgandy > Reviews

Ron Burgandy's Profile

Customer Reviews: 189

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ron Burgandy RSS Feed (Philadelphia, PA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Samsung Fascinate Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)
Samsung Fascinate Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)

3.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts After a Few Months In ...., March 5, 2011
Let me begin by saying up-front that I've been a card carrying Apple fanatic since I was young. Having said that, for YEARS I've been foaming at the mouth over the thought of buying an iPhone. I really thought it was the perfect hybrid of the phone and a portable entertainment device and EXACTLY want I was looking for in a phone. However, even from the start, I just knew AT&T's cell phone network was garbage (at least around my area, anyway), not to mention, it was fairly expensive. Not wanting to make the jump, I remained loyal to my Blackberry.

Then Google's Droid O/S came along. When it was released I took a really close look at it and was honestly impressed! I thought it was a little rough around the edges, but, (especially taken in the context of a "first release") I thought it was wildly exciting and was curious to see where its "open" O/S would take it. What held me back was still the cost of the "Droid" devices. I figured if I was spending a comparable amount of money for a Droid device vs an iPhone, I'd rather just buy the device I really wanted.

Last Black Friday, I caught wind that the Fascinate was going to be on sale for a penny. For my fiance and I, that was all we needed to hear. Although I knew that, eventually, the iPhone was making its way to Verizon, I had absolutely zero expectation that it was ever going to hit a price point this low. "Free" is tough to beat and we were saving a stone-fortune for two phones going with the Fascinate (probably somewhere in the ball-park of $400). For the money I was keeping in my pocket, it was more then in my best interest to jump behind the Droid O/S and worth the trade-off that it might be a little more clunky when it needs to "talk" to the rest of my Apple-based hardware.

As for the network coverage, I love Verizon's network. It's more expensive then a lot of other carriers, but I can get a signal anywhere. I don't think, on Verizon, I've ever had a dropped call due to network coverage. I need my phone for work, so for me, this gives me exactly the coverage map I was looking for. I had T-Mobile previously and their coverage outside of the metro-Philadelphia area is awful. I absolutely had to have something more reliable. I, admittedly, did groan a little bit that I couldn't access data and voice at the same time. <Laughing> In other words I can't goof-off on the internet while a conference call drones on. Not a "deal-breaker" by any means and I knew ahead of time that this was (basically) AT&T's only advantage, but still ... that feature probably would be something I wish I had versus not having it.

Physically, the phone is a real beauty! In my opinion, it does come across feeling a little plastic-y. This is pretty forgivable though for the trade off of being very light-weight and razor-thin. it lends itself very well to being dropped in a pants or sport-coat pocket without feeling like you're carrying a brick. Even after popping a hard-case on it, it's still barely noticeable. The front of the phone is absolutely clean and very slick-looking and the touch-screen is as responsive as I hoped it would be. The quality of the display is jaw-droppingly beautiful and easily the phones best feature. I honestly don't know what else to say other then "it's gorgeous"! It's also terrific on battery life, especially in light of how nice the screen is!

If I could, in my head, redesign it at all, I still would have tried to go with some kind of a metal backing versus plastic and I would have loved having direct access to the phone's 16 gig micro SD card. As it's currently designed, you need to take the back off of your phone for access to the card. Every time I do this to take out the memory card (and lately, that's a lot) I'm always a little worried that I'm going to crack the plastic on the back.

The Google O/S is really nice! I love having seven "desktops" to better organize the apps and widgets I use all the time. That's a brilliant idea and something I really ran with. Now I have all my "sports stuff" on one "desktop", all my "social networking stuff" on another ... and so on. However, this is where I start to grumble a bit. First, the Android market really isn't anywhere near Apples app market yet and, in my opinion, this is where Apples "closed" system has an advantage. Android's marketplace is just loaded with emulated crap. For example, Netflix (right now) or Hulu don't have an Android app. If you do a search though, you'll come across (literally) dozens of third party apps that seems to be working really hard at passing itself off as first-party software. You have to be REALLY careful about what it is you're dragging onto your phone. I can easily see where someone who's not quite as aware that this stuff isn't legit could get themselves into trouble. The other day I read that Google found over twenty apps on it's marketplace that were flagged, after the fact, as malware. Now some of these apps just screamed "bad idea" but at the same time, one was labeled as "chess". People may not necessarily "like" that Apple has as firm a thumb on its marketplace as it does, but plain fact of the matter is that this probably wouldn't have happened in their apps market.

As much as I love their network coverage, Verizon has seen fit to just ram this phone full of bloat-ware. I really wouldn't mind this (it's a Verizon phone, I "get it" that they're going to pop all of their stuff on their phone), but you can't delete any of it. That's annoying. What's also annoying is that, although I have a Google-phone, I'm forced to have the 'Bing' search engine rammed down my throat. I'm a marketing guy, I understand that Microsoft paid a lot to have this on the phone. However, I want to use 'Google' as my search option but Verizon seems to be saying 'I'm not allowed'. I know full-well that this is simply a money issue and not some hang-up with the hardware. This is also annoying.

I travel a pretty good deal and it's not as if planes are getting roomier. Anymore, cracking my laptop open to watch a movie isn't exactly space-friendly to either myself or anyone next to me. To be able to stream a few TV shows or movies directly through my phone via WiFi would be really nice. Even to be able to watch something in the airport without having to completely set up my laptop would be really helpful. For the most part though, it's not an option. The Fascinate uses version 2.1 of the Android O/S which doesn't support Flash 100%. MOST web-sites will work, but there are a lot of them that don't. It's something that is supposed to be 2.2's biggest feature (100% support for Flash). Verizon, however, hasn't upgraded yet, even though the Facinate's hardware can handle the newer O/S and version 2.2 is quickly coming up on a year old.

Neither Netflix or Hulu are available on the Android market. From what I understand the "openness" of the O/S has distributor's freaked out about rights-management and piracy. They want to see a level of security that (apparently) just doesn't exist on this version of the Droid O/S (2.1). This wouldn't normally bug me too much because I could always just use a program like Double-Twist to put a movie or two on my phone before I left. It didn't exactly lend itself to casually browsing, but it was still a viable work-around so that I could watch something ... until around late January.

About that time, Verizon sent a firm-ware upgrade out to fix a problem the phone's GPS was having locking onto a signal. I'm not sure exactly why, but this upgrade seems to have obliterated any kind of mac compatibility. Now if I connect my phone and mount the device as a portable hard drive, my iMac refuses to recognize it. I could connect it before without any issue at all, now I can't however and no one at either Samsung or Verizon have any idea on a work-around or were even aware there was an issue. For now, in order to transfer media to my device, I need to take the back off of it, remove the memory card and use a card reader to load it with mp3's and video. Not exactly "convenient", to put it nicely. I was always aware that asking the phone to "talk" to a mac O/S might require an extra step or two and I was completely OK with that. Now that I don't seem to be able to do it at all is REALLY aggravating. In my case the phone's functionality, strangely enough, seems to be sliding backwards. I'm really hoping that when (or if) Verizon wakes-up and decides to grace us with Droid 2.2, it'll fix the connectivity issue I'm having.

All in all, it's a great phone. Although I do have a few complaints, the good really does outweigh anything I might be grousing about. It's also worth mentioning that just about every issue I'd mentioned I have is completely fixable. The hardware on the phone is really powerful and, in theory, it has the processing power to do all the things I find I'm wishing it did.

The Fascinate might not be "perfect", but it's damn good. I'd still have no problem recommending it. If you're a mac user though, you still might want to hang onto that iPod for now ...
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2011 5:05 PM PDT

Sprint Screen Protectors for Samsung Galaxy Tablet
Sprint Screen Protectors for Samsung Galaxy Tablet
Offered by Cellpro
Price: $7.34
5 used & new from $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome ... but have a little patience, February 18, 2011
As far as screen protectors go, almost anyone will tell tell you that products by Zagg are some of the best out there. They have a terrific warranty, offer virtually military -grade protection, in this case the shield comes with a protector for the front and back of the device, and they are (normally) just short of invisible when applied correctly. It's probably more accurate to say that Zagg's screen-guards are more like a "second-skin" then they are a "screen protector". The prices on Amazon are equally awesome! You'll (on average) pay probably about half of what you would be charged in a brick-and-mortar retail outlet.

However, I dinged it a star for the following reason: Applying this to my Galaxy S Tablet was an absolute pain in the a$$. I'm specifically speaking about lining up the rounded edges of the back of the device, but also centering the front so as not to block the camera was also EXTREMELY tedious. The shield is just large to the point where I always seemed to be about 1/4 off where I needed it to be. Eventually, I felt like I got it to the point that it was close enough; but I could easily see where a person could find the process frustrating.

My advice would be to buy the shield and then take it to your cell-phone provider. I'm reasonably sure if you ask REALLY nicely, they'll probably be willing to apply it for you. If you do need to do it on your own, just follow the instructions and tell yourself that if you don't get it on the first try, you're not the only one. It'll probably take several attempts to get it just right.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2011 4:47 PM PST

DVI Gear HDMI-2M 2M/6' HDMI Cable
DVI Gear HDMI-2M 2M/6' HDMI Cable
Offered by ByBuy
Price: $2.99
22 used & new from $2.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect if you're new to the HD world ..., January 16, 2011
For somebody that is jumping into HD equipment for the first time this piece is perfect! Why on earth pay $60 or more in the brick and mortar retailers?

This cable is cheap as hell, shipping is really fast, and it's performance is adequate. Even if it's not setting any speed records among other cables, in terms of value for the dollar, what more could you possibly want?

A Nightmare on Elm Street
A Nightmare on Elm Street
DVD ~ Jackie Earle Haley
Offered by Ultimate_Discounts
Price: $18.79
58 used & new from $0.26

1.0 out of 5 stars Unspeakably awful and fails on every possible level ..., January 13, 2011
This review is from: A Nightmare on Elm Street (DVD)
This SUCKS. I saw it the other day and I HATED it. It was as if the CW remade the original. No personality at all, a HORRIBLE cast (Rooney Mara may be the single most un-charismatic actress I've EVER seen). Terrible make-up and effects work, Jackie Earl Haley looked and sounded as if he was speaking through a Halloween mask. The character of 'Freddy' is supposed to be played in the manner of a sadistic court-jester, Englund was clearly having a blast with the material and threw a lot of himself into the role. Haley's not doing any of that. As fine an actor as he is, he's horrible here.

There hasn't been a film in awhile that I can't think of a SINGLE THING to compliment it on, but this one falls squarely into that category. It's awful, outside of a morbid sense of curiosity, there's honestly not a single reason to waste your time on it. Front-to-back, EVERYONE decided to phone this in and it shows. If the production crew didn't care at all, I don't see any reason that anyone else should. Even at it's worst point in any of the original films (sequel's included) I was at least under the impression that people were trying. I can't even say that here. It's a complete train wreck. The only "nightmare" is the threat of a sequel ...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2011 11:17 AM PST

Blue Silicone Case / Skin / Cover, LCD Screen Guard / Protector & Car Charger for Samsung Fascinate / Mesmerize / SCH-I500

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Dollar Value, January 7, 2011
It depends on what you're buying this for though. For example, I bought this strictly for the car charger (which works great) and considered the rest of the package a "throw-in". The case fits, I have one that I'm happy with, but it fits OK. The screen wipe ... is a screen wipe. The screen protector is complete garbage though. It's trash and I threw it out almost immediately after examining it.

Great package though! Just don't buy it for the screen protector. Go with a Zagg screen guard instead ...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2011 6:09 PM PST

Hulk [Blu-ray]
Hulk [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Eric Bana
Price: $5.00
78 used & new from $0.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Personally, I liked it ..., April 6, 2010
This review is from: Hulk [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
That said though, I TOTALLY understand where people are coming from when they say they didn't enjoy it.

Universal really fumbled the ball when they tried to advertise 'Hulk' as a front -to-back action movie. It just isn't, I can't put it any more simply then that. If that's what you are expecting (or had expected) I can almost guarantee you'd come away disappointed.

Ang Lee is an art-house director ('Ice Storm' 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon') and that influence very clearly shows here. 'Hulk' is much more a character study of Bruce Banner then it is an action movie. The Hulk as a comic book character was always, quietly, one of the more complex characters in the Marvel universe, as opposed to the rampaging maniac that most people unfamiliar with the comic seem to think he is. Lee's choice to explore the former when most people were actually expecting the latter wound up alienating a great deal of the target audience.

That's really a shame too because, although I wasn't a fan of the ending, it's really a terrific movie. The story and plot were really well thought out. The changes that were made to the Hulk's origin made a lot of sense. The performances were all great (Nick Nolte and Sam Elliot really stole the movie). It's just too bad that so many people were, I feel, led to expect something that they, ultimately, weren't going to get.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2010 4:51 AM PST

PANASONIC PT-44LCX65 Replacement Rear projection TV Lamp TY-LA1000
PANASONIC PT-44LCX65 Replacement Rear projection TV Lamp TY-LA1000
Offered by Exclusivebulbs
Price: $23.73
14 used & new from $18.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Product, Quality Seller ..., April 6, 2010
I'm admittedly pretty annoyed I have to buy the lamp in the first place. My Panasonic DLP tv seems to be eating bulbs at an aggravatingly fast pace. However, that's a knock on the TV and not this housing and bulb.

For anyone that needs one, I doubt very seriously you'll find a price more competitive then this sellers. My last bulb and housing probably cost my close to three times what I paid here! Shipping was fast and the item was packed VERY securely. My fears that the piece would be destroyed in shipping were all unfounded. Everything arrived quickly and in pristine condition!

I honestly don't know what more could be asked!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2010 4:23 PM PDT

Panasonic PT-50LC13 50-Inch TheaterWide HDTV-Ready Projection LCD TV
Panasonic PT-50LC13 50-Inch TheaterWide HDTV-Ready Projection LCD TV

2.0 out of 5 stars Completely Unreliable ..., February 24, 2010
First, I need to disclose a bit of my the back-story regarding how I came into this TV. About 4 years or so ago I bought this second-hand as a gift to myself for a new job that I'd gotten. The LCD's hadn't yet become an industry standard, and the CRT's were already obsolete. Rear projection DLP was really the best option out there at the time. So after shopping classified ads for awhile, I eventually came across this model from Panasonic and I jumped at it. I bought it for a SONG compared to what other similar pieces were selling for at the time. It didn't have HDMI inputs (which was something that really gave me a little pause), but in the end the picture quality with component cables was still able to support a 1080i picture (which was what I wanted) ... so I was in.

As for the TV, the picture is really pretty nice! It has a good viewing range, is easy to operate, has an SD slot for your digital camera media, and the picture quality is solid! In THAT respect, I really don't have anything to complain about at all and have been pretty happy with its performance ... when its working. This leads me to my next point, the one where I tell you that I'm on my third replacement lamp. They're easy to replace and (thankfully) the price of the lamp has come down quite a bit, but the simple fact that I've spent over $300 in maintenance for this thing is REALLY irritating. At first I was saying to myself "I bought this used, it kind of comes with the territory." After doing this three times though and reading that this is a common problem in this line, I can tell you I still feel justified in complaining about the toilet-bowl level reliability. A product THIS NEW, regardless of WHAT it is, should NOT need to have this much time and trouble extended in simply keeping it working.

If you decide to bite on this particular model, buy it with an extra lamp and housing to guarantee its shelf-life in your entertainment center. I PROMISE you'll need it. The funny part is, if you can come across one cheap enough (and that shouldn't be tough given the frustration level associated with it) I can't even necessarily tell you it's a "bad deal." When it's working (and that is NOT the "given" you'd expect it to be) the picture quality IS really nice! Be absolutely warned though, you'll be an expert in TV repair after a few years ...
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2010 4:22 PM PDT

PROTOTYPE - Xbox 360
PROTOTYPE - Xbox 360
Offered by BettyFrench
Price: $49.99
114 used & new from $0.49

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Reach Seems to Have Extended its Grasp, January 5, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PROTOTYPE - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I truly believe that if the developers took a few more months to polish it up, [PROTOTYPE] would have been a real jaw-dropper. There are so many moments that the game almost becomes immensely fun to play, but for me, there always seems to be some irritation the prevents the game from really dropping into "5th gear" so to speak.

I won't rehash the plot. It's a little different and modestly interesting, but the way that it's told, in my opinion, makes it extremely difficult to really immerse yourself in it. The basic idea is that you wake up with amnesia and need to "consume" certain people who are flagged in the city as having a small piece of your memory. Doing this triggers a flash-back and from there, you put together what happened to you. In a nut-shell, it plays like a big jigsaw puzzle. The issue is that you start off knowing so little, that for me, it was difficult to feel like you're understanding what's going on. This lends the game to degenerating into a "run here" "Hit this check-point" "Take out the target" without really understanding why you're doing it. This might be something that certain gamers don't mind, but for me, the style of story-telling was a bit of a turn-off.

The city itself is a replica of New York City. Unfortunately though, it's really pretty ugly. There not a lot of color or variety and it can make it difficult to just "know" what part of the city you're in just by looking at your surroundings and not checking the map. Think for a second, for comparison's sake, at GTA 4. That game was stone-brilliant at the way it crafted its environment! This definitely is a missed opportunity here. Even the citizens don't have a whole lot of variety to them. You can probably count the number of character models on one hand.

The graphics are a pretty interesting mish-mosh of above and below average points. On one hand, the frame-rate is absolutely absurd. There are points where there is so much going on that the feeling of complete chaos will be totally and convincingly conveyed. This is one of the things that [PROTOTYPE] is doing really well and it's impressive! On the other hand, on top of a fairly ugly city, the amount of "pop-in" graphics, I thought, was unacceptable. For example, there's a mini-game throughout [PROTOTYPE] that has you collecting these "landmark" and "hint" orbs of light. One of the best ways to accomplish this is to hijack a helicopter and do a fly-over of the city in order to look for them in open-areas or building-tops. The orbs won't show though, unless you're virtually right on top of them. The ability to see objects at a distance is really poor.

The controls definitely needed work. I had the same complaint about 'Star Wars: The Force Unleashed', but the environment being as destructive as it is, is both a blessing and a curse. There's so much debris to pick up and potentially so many enemies on screen, that in highly-chaotic situations (which is often) it becomes frustrating to try and target the object that you want. I could be mistaken, but the AI seems to default to selecting artificial targets for me to attack, regardless of distance. So lets say I'm in the middle of a war-zone and I'm being besieged by both tanks and a bunch of these mutant hunter-things. If I just hit the "target-lock" button, it'll default to selecting the tank, NOT the monsters that are directly in front of me and beating me senseless. That extra second or two it takes to get the targeting correct makes a huge difference in maintaining your character's health on the higher difficulty levels. The other thing about the targeting is that it's being controlled on the same joy-stick that controls your camera. This isn't doing you any favors when you feel you have a good angle on the action ...

Where [PROTOTYPE] really becomes a game worth checking out though, is your super-powers and your ability to upgrade them! There's a ton of really cool stuff that'll keep you playing just for the chance to unleash some of these beauties! Organic blades, whips, Hulk-like biceps and fists, full body armor, a shield, the ability to glide ... [PROTOTYPE] has got it all! It's wildly fun to drop yourself in a military base (for example) and just go bananas, you really start to feel invincible! Conceal your identity by absorbing a military officer and sneak into a military base. You can then turn around and take an APC, tank, or helicopter for whatever use you please. Wreaking havoc is what you gain experience from, and that's how you earn the ability to upgrade your powers. It's all very cool and a lot of fun!

It's just frustrating that a lot of, what I felt were, missed opportunities here were totally fixable, if the proper time was just taken to do it. Whether it was because of time or money, I was left with the impression that [PROTOTYPE]'s designers really wanted to do more then they were ultimately able to. I'd still have no reservation about giving it a thumbs up though, especially now that it's been released for a while. I'm not sure it was worth fifty or sixty dollars, but at this point you should be able to grab a copy at a price that's more then fair.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2010 11:46 AM PST

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price ..., November 1, 2009
I ordered this piece for my girlfriend's bedroom from Werfurniture a few weeks ago and it looks great! It was easy to assemble and shipped relatively quickly. There were two small issues I thought were worth mentioning though. The first was that I didn't realize when I ordered the mirror that it wasn't actually coming from Amazon. I was a little surprised when I saw that the shipping cost was almost as much as the mirror itself! Granted, I'll be the first to admit that this oversight was completely my fault. I really should have read this a little more carefully. At the same time though, that point could have probably been made a little more obvious.

The second was on its arrival, the mirror was broken. Even this issue was handled as quickly as I could have asked, though. I was extremely happy that a representative from Werfurniture answered the phone on virtually the first ring. I was fully expecting to have to deal with a long series of automated responses and was pleasantly surprised when I didn't have to. All I had to do was email a picture of the damaged product to the customer service rep I was talking to. With my camera phone, I took and sent the pix-message and had the rep confirm my email all while I was on the phone. It was explained that she needed to submit that picture to FedEx so that Werfurniture could be reimbursed for the damage. Since I managed to call fairly early in the day, I was able to have a replacement shipped out that same day! I didn't even have to ship back the broken mirror, I was told to just throw it away! The replacement mirror arrived the next day and was in perfect shape.

It assembled quickly too, I think I put it together in about 10 minutes. Disposing of the broken mirror took longer then the assembly of the new one! In all, it was a transaction that wasn't without hiccups, but everything was handled as professionally as I could have asked. I would definitely be inclined to shop from this vendor again. Even if the shipping cost was a little more then I realized, it still represents a good value!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2009 10:42 AM PST