Profile for David Cummings > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 46

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Cummings "Bill" RSS Feed (Or, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
John Dies at the End
John Dies at the End
DVD
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars zany fun and loose, May 4, 2013
if you've read the book, you understand why I would only give this an "okay" rating. So much more was going on in the book... understandable that not everything would fit into the movie... but it's still disappointing.

Nine Types of Light
Nine Types of Light
Price: $14.04
71 used & new from $4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars just tipping my hat, April 14, 2011
This review is from: Nine Types of Light (Audio CD)
I've been listening to these guys since "Desperate Youth, Blood-Thristy Babes"
This is the first release since then that I have fully enjoyed. Not only enjoyed but loved.
The songs are simple compared to Cookie Mountain, and much smoother than Dear Science. They've been described as love songs, and I hear that. But they're also human songs. Will Do has been stuck in my head for a couple weeks (since they released the video). And they havn't been able to do that to me since their first album.

There's lots of good reviews here, so I won't dive into rehashing what's already been said. I just love this album, and wanted to share that with you.

Diamond Eyes
Diamond Eyes
Price: $8.33
73 used & new from $1.76

5.0 out of 5 stars I watch you taste it, I see your face, May 4, 2010
This review is from: Diamond Eyes (Audio CD)
One of the many who downloaded this almost two months ago... and I love this so much, I'm still going out to buy it today!
For some reason, this album just feels whole to me. There isn't a filler, there isn't a song that stands away from the others as a single (though two singles have already been released), and the general vibe is just cohesive. The first few tracks are enough to remind you that Deftones started out as a metal group... but they're just so much more now. And then the tone lightens... sweetens. It's a blending of the heaviness of a car crash, and the dreamy seductive evening that led up to it.
This deserves recognition.

Hellbilly Deluxe 2
Hellbilly Deluxe 2
Price: $11.12
72 used & new from $3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars perhaps not a sequel, but certainly good, February 2, 2010
This review is from: Hellbilly Deluxe 2 (Audio CD)
Zombie lost me on the last album, and didn't really have me for The Sinister Urge. My problem was that I just wasn't hearing any new ideas, they just sounded recycled (and the last album... I just flat out didn't like it).
Now, this new album doesn't really cover any new ground, but hot-damn if this isn't just a fun rockin' album. It takes his usual industrial grooves and sparks the chemistry with a little more surf/garage rock and an even larger dose of horror cheese. I mean, come on, two songs have "werewolf" in the title. To me, it feels like a combination of Rob's best work from Hellbilly, and the Halloween Hootenanny album that came from his Zombie A Go-Go label (the best halloween party album).
Every song is a hoot, wild and sleezy (even his burn on hollywood, "Dream Factory," has a swagger). My favorites are his dedications to horror icons (What), sci-fi (Mars need Women), and his own imaginary grindhouse flick (Werewolf Women of the SS).

And in reference to previous posters, I've never found there to be a class of fan for Rob Zombie. You either like it, or you don't. I, for one, really dig Hellbilly Deluxe 2.

This Is War
This Is War
Price: $7.03
79 used & new from $2.06

3.0 out of 5 stars Back from the dull "emo" phase, December 8, 2009
This review is from: This Is War (Audio CD)
On their first album, 30 Seconds to Mars was creatively forward moving, while keeping hold of the past. I had caught influences of Peter Gabriel and Depeche Mode, but in a newer arena of music. It was fresh, and ultimately became one of the albums I would listen to for the entire decade. Their second album, A Beautiful Lie, lost the creativity but helped to gain 30STM a worldwide audience. Can't say I was a big fan of that album... the songs were bland and too much in the vein of a lot of pop-emo groups.
But now, the group has returned with an album that combines the creativity and push/pull of past and future sounds from the first album, with the polished anthems of the second. Driving synths, pulsing drum beats, and hair-raising chants are seeded throughout the album, adding color and flavor to every track.
The two singles, Kings And Queens and This Is War, are the straight-forward rockers of the album. Less synth influence, a bit more U2-ish. Then there is the harder edged synth heavy tracks, Night of the Hunter, Closer to the Edge (the poppy-est track), Vox Populi (the choir heavy, militaristic track), and Search and Destroy (poppy, choir heavy, AND U2-ish). The surprising bits come from the moody Hurricane (with a spot-on auto-tuned Kanye), the Pretty Hate Machine influenced Stranger in a Strange Land, and the ballads, 100 Suns and Alibi.
This album shows 30STM in top form, stylistically, and musically. After the second release, I wasn't sure if I'd still be listening, but now I'm thankful that I still can.
Sidenote: Can people stop comparing Jared Leto to other "actors who think they're musicians"? I think after three albums and several world tours, he's proven that he's an actual musician. Thanks!

Octahedron
Octahedron
Price: $13.30
78 used & new from $2.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Omar's "acoustic" album, June 23, 2009
This review is from: Octahedron (Audio CD)
It took a few spins, but ultimatly, I think this is my least favorite Volta album. But even my least favorite doesn't mean it's bad.

Fucked Up Friends
Fucked Up Friends
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $15.76
27 used & new from $7.49

3.0 out of 5 stars If I had seen this earlier..., June 12, 2009
This review is from: Fucked Up Friends (Audio CD)
then maybe I could give Tobacco a higher rating and worship it like everyone else. But, I caught wind of this just after the Eating Us release from Black Moth Super Rainbow (which is tobacco's band). I love this kind of music, trippy, sugar-synth/pop. But the sound on this release is exactly the same as the last two Black Moth releases, making this "solo" album seem pointless.
The exception, is the brilliant guest spot of Aesop Rock on the track, Dirt. If gives the listener an idea of where new and innovative hip-hop can go (as in ANYWHERE).
But outside of that, I don't feel a need for this album, since I already have Dandelion Gum.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2012 7:25 PM PDT

The High End of Low
The High End of Low
Price: $9.55
65 used & new from $2.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new here, May 29, 2009
This review is from: The High End of Low (Audio CD)
It's already been said here, but maybe if it's said again and again, someone in the Manson camp will take notice. This album offers absolutly nothing new to listeners.
Lyrically, Manson hasn't changed for years; the same themes of being "damaged," of women being users, of no one caring/everyone caring about him (take your pick, he does both), and how the world is... wait for it... f'ed up. Mixing celebrity with disease, love with hate, religion with destruction. Seriously, we're looking at an entire discography full of the same themes (it's just his first few albums were original at the time, and in retrospect still sound a lot better).
Musically, this album manages to replicate every generic aspect of his last four albums. Holy Wood started the "mature" sound, while also establishing empty anthems (that stale "crunchy riffs over pulsing beats" sound that has become the standard for all of his heavier songs). The Golden Age brought out the sado-masochist imagery, with slightly bouncier songs. Eat me, was Manson thinking he could actually sing... and actually relate to newer goth kids. This new album takes all of these ingredients, mixes them in a cocktail shaker, and then pours it all down the drain.
After so long, it's hard to remember that I was once a fan, and it's sad to say it, but after this album, I no longer care.

Sounds Of The Universe
Sounds Of The Universe
58 used & new from $3.11

4.0 out of 5 stars a complete album, April 22, 2009
This review is from: Sounds Of The Universe (Audio CD)
I've never been a great fan of Depeche Mode. I have the greatest hits from the early years, dedicated to the pop hits and the turn towards industrial, and then I purchased the later day singles (enjoy the silence, behind the wheel, it's no good, etc). But I found that every time I listened to a full album, I was always skipping tracks and going straight to the hits. When DM reemerged on the music scene with Exciter, I was dissappointed to find that the group had done an "adult" album. A bit on the easy listening/starbucks side. But then they released Playing the Angels. It only had one true "hit", but the album itself was darker and heavier (more in tune with what I liked about DM), and I found myself actually listening to the whole thing.
Now, with Sounds of the Universe, Depeche Mode has made an album that I love from beginning to end. The songs are dense, atmospheric, and made to compliment eachother. With exception to the single, Wrong (which was stuck in my head since I first heard it about 2-3 weeks ago), the album boasts no "hits." At least, not in the pop tradition. I could nominate several songs to be singles (Peace, Hole to Feed, Fragile Tension, In Sympathy), but I doubt any would reach the top ten. The songs still throb, and pulse (they ARE Depeche Mode), but I'm not sure if you could dance to it.
I've read the reviews since yesterday's release, and I've noticed that the people who don't like it are either stuck with the notion that DM stopped being good after Walking in my Shoes, or only just became a fan after Exciter. Keep in mind that I'm not a die-hard fan, I don't like everything that DM has released. But this album, to me, is one of their best.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2009 10:25 AM PDT

Boxer
Boxer
Price: $11.24
76 used & new from $4.32

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Album, August 20, 2008
This review is from: Boxer (Audio CD)
I heard The National from their previous album, which I did not like at all. It sounded like half the bands that were popular on the indie scene at that time. But then, I started to find The Boxer on top of all the lists in publications that I liked and respected. Still, with the memory of the last one, I held off. Now, I've finally given it a try, or rather a few tries. Musically, the album is nice. Not great, but nice. It has a lot of melody, atmosphere, and it is envolved enough to not sound simplistic. Vocally, however, it sounds like a mix of Morphine, maybe Nick Cave, but a lot Interpol and She Wants Revenge. Not to say that I dislike any of those groups (except She Wants Revenge, I really dislike them), but it sounds uninspired and copied.
Now I already said I find the album to sound nice, but really, it's hard to remember the songs. Only a couple stick out, but for most of them I had to back-up and listen again to decide if I actually liked it. Most of the time I came up with the same result, "Um, it's alright." It is music to listen to, but not to remember. To add to this, the punchy drums plus the vocals remind me of sub-par Interpol. I just feel like I've heard it all before, by bands that have done it better.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5