Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Profile for Cthulhu > Reviews

Browse

Cthulhu's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2635
Top Reviewer Ranking: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cthulhu "Cthulhu" RSS Feed (Minas Anor, GD)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
EFOSHM® Pedometer Watch Black SAFE E3 Bluetooth Waterproof IP57 Wireless Calls Sports Exercise Message Task Reminder Sleep Tracker Pedometer Remote Camera Vedio Control Smartphone Easy Charging Anti-lost Alarm Watch Wristband Bracelet Bracelets for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air, mini, Galaxy S6 S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3 2, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, Nexus 4 5 7 10, HTC One, One 2 (M8), LG G3, MOTO X G, most other Phones and Tablets (Black)
Offered by EFO-S
Price: $27.99

1.0 out of 5 stars 2F27E, February 8, 2016
It's the display on the pedometer as I turned it on. And this is how far my evaluation went. I am sorry but I will NOT install anything on my phone unless it's coming from a trusted source such as the Google store for Android and maybe Amazon. Download keeprapid com is not a trusted source. The vendor provided the pedometer as a 'for review' item but, until the phone app is validated, it can't be reviewed because the risk of compromising my phone and everything that's on it vastly outweighs the benefits of a wrist pedometer.

I am looking forward to seeing the app at Google's store and updating my rating to, hopefully, more stars.

Remocam-Smart Home Security Camera for All (Wireless, Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, IP Surveillance, HD, PTZ)
Price: $199.00
2 used & new from $150.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Only the second 'cloud' surveillance camera that I actually liked, February 7, 2016
I am surprised but the Remocam happens to be only the second 'cloud' surveillance camera that I actually like, the other being Netgear's impressive Arlo Smart Home - 1 HD Camera Security System, 100% Wire-Free, Indoor/Outdoor with Night Vision (VMS3130-100NAS). But, first, let me disclose that this Remocam was provided by vendor as a 'for review' item. And yes, I will be objective, with a slightly negative bias if anything because I am not a fan of surveillance equipment in general. So, let's talk about the Remocam.

The Remocam works like this: there is no manual but, once you plug it in and download the Android or iOS app on your phone, you register with an email address/password (please do NOT give them the password to you email account), type in you Wi-Fi network password, let the camera scan a code displayed by your phone and you're on. You can then watch live video on your phone screen and 'look around' by rotating and tilting the camera head, listen, talk to someone near the camera, take a picture, record video (set it for either cloud or loca microSD recording), sound a police-like siren, auto-record whenever motion is detected, call emergency numbers from within the app... I might have missed a feature or two but, you get the idea.

I LIKE
- allows to remotely rotate/tilt the cam so you can look around, remotely and the camera is very responsive
- while you can opt into a 'cloud' plan ranging from 3-day retention, 3GB storage for $3.99 mo/$39.99 year to 30-day retention, unlimited storage for $29.99 mo/$299.99 yr. storage on an cam-attache microSD card is a perfectly good alternative unless you are planning to monitor for burglaries or other unlawful activities
- allows for 2-way communication, walkie-talkie style with someone near the camera or, perhaps, one-way barking commands at your pet
- it integrates well with my phone
- the app allows you to maintain an 'emergency call' list that you can use to quickly reach someone if you notice something unusual or threatening, including calling 911
- the video quality happens to be excellent and it storage is of concern it is possible to control resolution
- supports pinch zoom in and out
- auto switches to full screen when the phone is in landscape orientation
- can easily adjust motion detection and even the sub-sections within the monitored areas where motion detection applies

NEUTRAL BECAUSE I WILL NEVER USE
- cloud plan, I am not planning to use it as a burglar-catching tool so it's unlikely I will be ever interested in such a feature given that Arlo, for example, comes with free basic cloud storage

CAN/SHOULD BE IMPROVED
- limited to phones (Android and iOS) only. I wish I could run this in, let's say a Chrome browser, I know that it can be done because Arlo does it
- the siren does sound like a police siren but the volume is so low, it's unlikely to wake up anyone in the house who is not in the same room
- granted privileges on the phone are somewhat intrusive. It's hard to justify the app's need to access Photos/Media/Files given that storage takes place either in the cloud or on the microSD card, same for Device ID and call info but maybe that is needed to make emergency phone calls, not sure
- there is no information on who runs the cloud your home images may be stored and nobody should just 'trust' a cloud provider

MY RATING
So far, so good, literally. I 'like' the Remocam almost as much as I like the Arlo. It has many good feature and the one negative that bothers me the most - the cloud storage mystery (who controls it?) - can be bypassed through local storage. That's a matter of concern if the camera is going to sit in one's personal space but, speaking for myself, I would never place any Internet-connected surveillance equipment in my personal space to begin with. It would have been nice if an alternative to the microSD storage was a NAS device which is doable given that the cam uses Wi-Fi. It's a 3.5 star rating, rounded up to 4 stars for a good device that could get better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2016 11:30 AM PST

Bypass Pruning Shears - Cate's Garden 8" Premium Hand Pruner - Heavy Duty SK5 High Carbon Blades - Ergonomic Angled Design for Pain-free Cutting
Offered by CKM Ventures
Price: $38.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Prone with This, February 6, 2016
I wouldn't call myself a pruning expert but we do have a few fruit trees in our yard and we do prune them. These shears, provided by vendor at a significant discount as a 'for review' item, promise to do the job, spring come.

I like them because, while not 'fancy', the rubbery grips are good, the blades are sharp and made of good quality Japanese steel, and the build is solid.

They could be used for pruning branches up to 3/4" thick which is very much as thick as I would ever go. Test-cutting couple of dead branches - it's winter here now so we can't do any 'real' cutting - gave us a clean cut which is essential.

One nice thing is the 'pruning and care tips' on the back of the packaging. They are meant to help new and not so experienced pruners understand how to proceed and they also offer tips on cleaning and overall maintenance which is good. And, to make it even nicer, the 10-year warranty can be upgraded to a 'lifetime warranty', whatever that is, if registering the product.

Top Ten Tech NEW 69 in 1 Multipurpose Precision Screwdriver Set Hardware Tool (69 in 1)
Offered by topten tech llc
Price: $67.00

4.0 out of 5 stars It's nice but a ratchet would have made it 'very' nice, February 6, 2016
I am not going to list all the bits you get because you can see what the set is about by reading Amazon's product description and attached pictures so I will rather share my experience with the product which was provided by vendor at a significant discount as a 'for review' item.

My first impression: it's smaller than I expected. The box is a 9"x5"x2" so it's a little crowded inside. A couple of bits were loose when I opened it but, for as long as you keep keep it all well organize and get it all back after using it, all should be Okay. Judging it by its look, feel and quality, this is not something that 'a professional' would fancy, mainly because there are no ratchets, but it's adequate for someone like me who would use it only on occasions.

It's pretty good value, overall.

Vtech VCS702 ErisStation Conference Phone with 2 Wireless Microphones Landline Telephone Accessory
Offered by aSavings
Price: $209.39
32 used & new from $207.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Fully met expectations, February 6, 2016
Vtech's VCS702 ErisStation, provided at a significant discount as a 'for review' item, does, to my surprise, most of what much more expensive conference call gear do and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get it. And, equally important, it turned out to be easy to setup and operate.

I have to confess, I haven't read the 'big', 44-page manual from cover to cover yet - I did read specific sections - because the Quick Start Guide seems to cover and nicely explain just about everything an average user like myself (small basement office) would ever care to learn. After all, this is just one of many enabling tools and most of us are not going to invest a lot of time learning everything about conference call technology. So, here is my experience with the ErisStation, briefly.

UNPACKING AND SETUP

This is always the most exciting part for me when dealing with a complex gadget and 'ease of setup' usually predicts future ease of maintenance and operation and overall system reliability. In this case, there wasn't much to do. Besides the base unit, there are 2 wireless mics that need their batteries inserted (easy), a power adapter that requires for its AC and DC power cords to be attached and a phone line cord. It all clicks in and you hardly need to lookup the quick start guide because it's all obvious. You will need a DSL filter if you have DSL but anyone who had DSL knows that, I'm sure. We have a VoIP service and they do use RJ-11 connectors so all went smoothly.

Just in case this may apply to someone contemplating a purchase, this unit is not PoE (Power over Ethernet) compatible and will not work with IP-PBX systems unless there is an analog line interface with an RJ-11 connector.

OPERATION

I have to confess, I am quite familiar with 'corporate' conference call systems so there wasn't much of a learning curve for me because it operates more or less like the more expensive ones. The unit supports 3-way calling if the phone company provides that service, will auto-update its date and time from the phone network, it supports caller ID, quick dial, keeps track of recent calls, allows up to 50 entries in its phonebook, supports 'mute' and silencing the ringer. The 2 wireless mics have enough range to cover a large room and work well once fully charged.

That's just about all I have to say and that's not a bad thing because the system truly fulfilled my expectations.

SUPPORT

I didn't need any so far because all was and still is good, but they do provide a Web site and a toll free number and a 2-year standard limited warranty with details on VTech's site. Check businessphones vetch com for all the fine print.

RATING

This is a five stars for meeting my expectations as far as features, ease of setup, reliability so far and overall good value for the price.

Ratchet Pruning Shears - Cate's Garden 8" Easy Action Anvil-type Pruners Designed for Effortless Trimming of Hedges and Tree Limbs - Heavy Duty SK5 High Carbon Blades for Long-lasting Durability
Offered by CKM Ventures
Price: $38.99
2 used & new from $21.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Pruning, Good, February 6, 2016
I am not even close to a pruning professional but we do have a few fruit trees in our yard and we do prune them. Based on some testing I've done on dead branches (it's February, still a few months away from pruning season here in the North) Cate's Garden 8" Easy Action Anvil-type Pruner, provided Cate at a significant discount as a 'for review' item, promise to do the job, spring come.

I like them because of well... a number of reasons so let's make a list:

- Design allows for a good, I would say almost comfortable grip which is important to me
- They are light, thanks to the mostly aluminum body
- They have this force multiplier mechanism where - you need to learn it - you can apply up to 5 times the initial power
- Based on my dead-branches experiments, cutting appears to be clean
- Appear to be durable and long lasting and you can get a 'lifetime warranty' if you officially register the product with Cate
- There are some nice maintenance and pruning tips on the packaging which could definitely help any beginning pruner

This is a great tool and it's made to last so, if you don't disagree with the price, you'll likely be happy with it.

Old Rubin Women's 925 Silver Swarovski Elements Crystal Heart Pendant Necklace Love in Heart With 18 inch Chain Color White
Offered by Old-Rubin
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Shiny Valentine?, February 5, 2016
Old Rubin's 925, provided by vendor at a significant discount as a 'for review' item, could be a super-lovely Valentine present thanks to its lovely, elegant heart shape and the beautiful Swarovski crystals that enhance, highlight and illuminate the pendant.

It would have been an enthusiastic five stars if the pendant glided smoothly on the chain. But it doesn't. It is possible for it to move on the chain but the keyword is 'smoothly' Sadly, it often gets stuck. However, the pendant is beautiful regardless so the 4 stars are well deserved.

Mudder Metal Retractable Reel with Belt Clip for Keys, ID Badges, Whistles and Lanyards, 2 Pack
Offered by MudderOnline
Price: $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Pair (not Pink Floyd's double album though), February 5, 2016
There's nothing super-fancy about these but they do work with things such as your employee ID card and there's of them for not such a high price.

They are well built and, based on a very similar freebie I got from Microsoft more than 10 years ago and it's still good, they are likely to last for a long, long time. For whatever reason, Mudder, who send me these as 'for review' items, decided to throw in a little microfiber cloth. Yes, you could use it to wipe the 'retractable reel with belt clip' or maybe to clean your glasses or your monitor. It's nice of them to have added it.

It's 5 stars for a nice pair that works exactly the way I expect it to.

Iavo Mini LED Night Light with Dusk to Dawn Sensor Red White-Less Than 1 KWH Per Month(Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Let It Be (white or pink) Light, February 5, 2016
The pair was provided by vendor at a significant discount as a 'for review' item and, so far so good as far as operational expectations and the price is right too.

The way this works is: you plug it in and it turns itself on if the surroundings are dark or stays off if the place is well lit. The light coming out of an LED (0.6W so practically free to operate) is dissipated by the plasticky square and you get a white light plus a reddish/pink version. They work well and the design has them keeping close to the wall so it's less likely that they get knocked off while vacuuming.

No negatives so it's a well-earned 5 stars.

TotaLohan Mx7 Handheld Flashlight (Rechargeable 18650 Battery Included and with Charger) Cree XML T6 550 Lumen LED Portable Zoomable Adjustable Focus Water Resistant Tactical Flashlight
Offered by TotaLohan
Price: $17.99
2 used & new from $16.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, with perks, February 5, 2016
I am rating the TotalLohan flashlight, provided at a significant discount as a 'for review' item, a 5 stars because:

- it's a solid, high quality aluminum body
- you can control the beam by simply sliding the head back and forth on the body
- works with either the rechargeable battery (included) or with 3 AAA through an adapter (adapter provided)
- charger is provided
- the lanyard is already attached
- operates in 5 modes: bright, medium bright, low intensity, blinking, SOS
- the price is right

I am unaware of any negatives at this time so the 5 star rating stands.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20