Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for E. Docktor > Reviews

Browse

E. Docktor's Profile

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. Docktor "diggydoc" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Quicken For Mac Personal Finance & Budgeting Software 2015 [Old Version]
Quicken For Mac Personal Finance & Budgeting Software 2015 [Old Version]
Price: $74.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Not ready for release, April 17, 2015
OK, I read all the reviews and took the plunge anyway. I regret it. If you're on the fence, wait a year and see if they can improve it. I was running the PC version on a very old Windows machine that was dying and had to move to my new Mac, but a better solution I think would have been to get a windows emulator and run the windows version on my Mac.

Things started out OK. The transfer went well enough, although I had a problem around what I'm sure Quicken would consider an edge case -- having bank accounts in both US and Canadian currency. The PC version knew how to capture an exchange rate for each transfer of funds between accounts, but the Mac version enforces that $1 USD = $1 CAD. All of my historical transfers that were imported were now wrong on one side of the transfer. I made a balance adjustment in the Canadian account to make the current balance match reality and moved on, knowing that historical reports are not going to show the actual correct balance. (No worries, the reporting function is underdeveloped in Mac version anyway).

After about 6 weeks, I was getting pretty comfortable with Quicken for Mac. Sure there were workarounds, but I was able to get it to work, and be correct. This week, I encountered a bug that Quicken acknowledged is a "feature working as designed" that will "be addressed in a future release" (yes the support agent actually said both of those things in the same sentence). The issue is that the share balance in my brokerage accounts are locked to the share balance at the time of transfer. Every time I enter a "buy" transaction, the portfolio view does not update the balance of shares, and shows an entry with a negative balance of shares. Every buy transaction increases this negative share entry. When I click on it, Quicken tells me that the share balance does not match what was reported by my brokerage, and Quicken is sticking with what was reported by the brokerage. The problem is that I do not have online synching enabled for this account on Quicken for Mac. I did for the windows version, but synching actually isn't supported for this account in the Mac version so I'm stuck. The amount of shares at the time of the transfer is all that Quicken will ever acknowledge exists. Every "buy" transaction lowers the overall net worth in quicken because cash disappears and no corresponding asset is created. This is a fatal flaw for me -- if the balances are not correct, I can't trust what I see in Quicken and then there's no point in using it.

There is a report of this issue in the Quicken support forums at https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/1015461-buying-shares-issue, but no response.

So, buyer beware. I'd give Intuit another year or two to work out the kinks.

Yes, there is less functionality but I learned to live with it and find new ways to do everything I needed for managing day-to-day finances. The problem came when I got a quarterly statement from a brokerage. Somehow, Quicken has cached how many shares were in the account when the account was

Growing Up Duggar: It's All About Relationships
Growing Up Duggar: It's All About Relationships
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, April 16, 2015
I wish they had targeted it more at every religion. Good guidance and helpful ideas and insight into a strongly religious family

Allied Tools 66525 Ratcheting Screwdriver Set with Window Storage Case, 61-Piece
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $12.57

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, doesn't last, September 6, 2011
I had a similar problem as one of the other reviewers. Within a couple months of mild use, the ball bearing that holds the bit in place fell out. Losing that ball bearing essentially makes the tool useless because the bits fall out so easily that I can't use the tool in any angle other than by holding the tool completely upright. It's just not practical. Stay away, and find a tool with better quality.

Denon AVR-888 7.1-Channel/5.1+2-Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver with HDMI I/O and Serial I/R Control (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
2 used & new from $250.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Great while it lasted ... which wasn't long enough, December 14, 2010
I bought this receiver in December of 2008. I did not expect to be back on the market for a receiver in December 2010, but here I am. The HDMI card has failed, and it's a $350 part (plus $100 for labor). Two years is insufficient for moderate usage of a high-end receiver. Stay away.

Seirus Innovation 1431 Hyperlite All Weather Polartec Cold Weather Winter Glove
Seirus Innovation 1431 Hyperlite All Weather Polartec Cold Weather Winter Glove
Price: $12.99 - $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars They do the job, but don't last under duress, November 21, 2009
The other reviewers are right about these gloves, they're not the warmest. But they're not designed to be. I use them for ski touring and they do a GREAT job of keeping the wind and wet stuff off your hands. They're perfect for skinning uphill -- enough protection to keep from frostbite but not too warm when you're working hard. When it's time to go downhill, another pair of more insulated gloves go on top of these.

Having thin gloves still leaves enough control and dexterity to pull the lip balm out of your pocket, read a map, etc. The leather padded fore-finger and thumb are a nice touch to keep that map from blowing out of your hand in a breeze.

The only thing that keeps me from giving this a 5-star review is durability. After one season (maybe 15-20 ski days) the seams are coming apart and the fingers have worn some holes. Okay, I used them hard. But still -- one season? Oh well, they're not that expensive. And for the best pair of touring gloves I ever had, I guess I can afford to buy a new pair every year.

Red Rock Canyon: A Climbing Guide (Climbing Guides)
Red Rock Canyon: A Climbing Guide (Climbing Guides)
by Roxanna Brock
Price: $26.86
42 used & new from $24.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid climbing guide book, April 11, 2007
I got this book for a trip to Red Rock Canyon in March 2007. It was one of two books brought by our party -- the other was Rock Climbing Red Rocks, 3rd. The books varied slightly on route descriptions (three pitches vs. two longer ones), but as always, the guide books were just a guide and actual conditions led us to make some different decisions on the route. The route ratings were very helpful -- there are tons of routes to climb and with only a short trip, we focused on only the top-rated routes, and we were not disappointed!

Delta Airzound Bike Horn , colors may vary
Delta Airzound Bike Horn , colors may vary
Price: $27.77
49 used & new from $16.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install and use, and very loud! But clunky., January 14, 2006
The Airzound lives up to its billing as "the world's loudest bike horn." Don't test it inside -- as I did. I don't think my 4-year-old has forgiven me yet. And it is easy to install, use and maintain -- a few pumps to the horn when I'm filling my tires is all I've ever needed.

My problem is that I haven't found a comfortable place to mount the air bottle. The down-tube on my bike is occupied with a water bottle/cage, so I mounted the air bottle on the top tube. If I mount it near the front, my knees hit it. If I mount it near the rear of the tube, I rub it with my thighs.

I eventually took the horn off my bike and I'm more comfortable. But I'm sure I'll miss it someday, when I try to yell at an oblivious driver. Because man, this horn is LOUD!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2011 4:27 PM PDT

iRiver H10 20 GB MP3 Player/Recorder (Blue) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
iRiver H10 20 GB MP3 Player/Recorder (Blue) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars File system keeps getting messed up, January 14, 2006
I love the idea of all-you-can-download-for-one-price music, but iPods don't work with the two current subscription music programs that I know of (Napster and Yahoo!). So I searched around and the H10 seemed to be a good balance of features and price, and was supported by Yahoo's music program, so I took the plunge on the H10 and Yahoo's subscription.

Two weeks later, I regret it. While this issue has yet to be raised on a product review here, I've since found a couple of postings at forums that describe scenarios where tracks get duplicated on the H10. So instead of having 11 songs from a certain album, I have 22. Other albums had the order of their tracks randomized on the device.

Today, I upgraded the firmware for the H10, wiped the device, and started over, but it didn't take very long for the mess to reoccur. (And by the way, reinstalling firmware is not something I'd expect everyone to be able to do.) I've figured out that I have to wipe the device and copy all the tracks over every time I want to change anything.

One other nit-pick: you need a paper clip or pin to reset the device. About a week after I bought the H10, I tried to unpause the device and found that the device had crashed (think: Windows blue screen of death). Who carries a paper clip when you're out for a jog? For a portable device, there really ought to be a better way to reset it.

I wish I could recommend something better, but consider yourself warned -- this device has some problems.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, not full-featured, September 24, 2005
The light is indeed very bright. I was surprised, though, that the light didn't have a "blink" setting. While riding in night-time traffic on lighted streets, I would prefer to have a blinking light to attract attention. However, on dark trails, this light is very bright! Much better than the EL400.

Horrorscope
Horrorscope
Offered by IMS Distribution
Price: $9.23
145 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm surprised how much I like it, given how poppy it can be, May 19, 2002
This review is from: Horrorscope (Audio CD)
The album is upbeat, more pop than punk. If you're not familiar with Eve 6, envision a melding of Green Day and Blink 182 (although I wouldn't say Eve 6 is on par with those folks, but it is their style).
Generally, I tend to not like ear-candy music like this, but there is something about this album that makes it different from run-of-the mill stuff you hear on the radio. Maybe it's the interesting lyrics -- some you'd expect to hear set to this style of music ("Amphetamines") and some that seem oddly out of place in a pop song ("On the Roof Again", about a guy who comically continues to mess up his life and threaten suicide.)
This wouldn't be one of my Desert Isle discs, but I don't regret buying it.

Page: 1 | 2