Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Learn more
Profile for Susanna Hutcheson > Reviews

Browse

Susanna Hutcheson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 929
Top Reviewer Ranking: 551

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Susanna Hutcheson "Copywriting for the Discriminating - - (...)" RSS Feed (Midwest U.S.A.)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fit-Meter WP-806 3D Digital Pocket Pedometer with Smart Tri-Axis Technology; Tracks Steps, Distance, Speed, Time & Calories Burned; Helps Men, Women & Kids Track Activity & Get Fit by Walking
Offered by cr8ive Products
Price: $23.95
2 used & new from $23.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to use and chock full of powerful features - this is the one to get, August 27, 2015
Disclaimer: I was supplied a free Fit-Meter pedometer for the purposes of an honest, unbiased review. The opinions expressed are my own and the receipt of a free product does not cause me to alter my experience or opinion of that product. I am not affiliated with Fit-Meter nor have they paid me any money or ask me to write a favorable review if I felt the product did not merit it.

The first thing that impressed me was the warranty. It's pretty powerful and the company stands behind this pedometer. Be sure and register your device when you get it. That way if something goes wrong, you're covered with this great warranty.

Setup was quite simple. Best to read the instructions. You first have to put in the battery and that's easy. You need a coin to take the battery cover off. Then simply insert it with the positive side down and put the lid back.

Follow the setup instructions. You'll need to know your stride. You can find the average stride for someone your height and sex online. That will give you a decent average. Or you can do it one of a number of other ways. I already knew what mine was. Keep in mind that your stride does not have to be exact. Just close. I often wish these pedometers would just ask for your height and sex as Fitbit does to get this number. But either way is fine.

I was up and running in about five minutes.

I am so taken with being able to see my average speed! You know, the speed you walk is critical to your fitness --- more so than the actual number of steps you take. If you walk slowly and do 10,000 steps, you are not doing as well as the person who walks with speed and just gets in 5000 steps. So this pedometer is superior right off the bat giving you that vital information. Even the expensive Fitbit One does not do that. Nor do many other pedometers.

If you are walking around the house or workplace doing your normal chores your pace will be about two miles per hour. While doing an easy walk around your neighborhood where you are able to keep up a conversation with a friend you will probably be doing around three miles per hour. A good average walking pace for a woman is three miles per hour or one mile every twenty minutes. For a man the average speed is three and a half miles per hour. This pace is adequate for healthy living. Walking at this pace for thirty minutes five or six days per week will reduce the risk of heart disease, type two diabetes and reduce anxiety and stress.

If you are walking for fitness and exercise you will need to increase your walking speed to a brisk pace, between three and a half and four miles per hour. Time yourself on your normal daily walk and then try to walk this same length one minute faster next time. Increase your speed very gradually until you are walking at a speed which is 60 – 80% of your maximum heart rate. Walking at this pace you build up cardiovascular endurance and build muscle mass which helps you to walk faster more comfortably.

I also love the split feature. I had to email support to figure out how to use it. You simply hit "set" three times and select 1,2 or 3. Best to start with one. Then do whatever it is you want to do. I do a 10 minute HIT run in place mostly. When finished, you can see your stats just for that activity. I really love this feature. And, you can easily erase this data without a reset of any sort.

One thing I like about the Fit-Meter is that there is a very good manual online that you can always go to if necessary. It gives clear, step-by-step instructions. The instructions are much better written and presented than most pedometer companies provide. Just go to the Fit-meter website to get to the manual. Of course, a manual comes with it too.

I did notice that for me at least, it does not count steps with it around my neck. In my pocket, it does. I prefer to wear mine in a pocket so that's no problem for me. But, you may want to purchase a decent small lanyard for the pedometer as the one that comes with it is not the kind that will work as an extra security clip.

Also, I found the clip a bit hard to put on correctly and very hard to take off. I like to use the clip at times but I like to slide it off and slip it in the pocket. With this unit, I can't do that. The clip does seem to be sturdy and secure, however.

Another unusual thing that can be good or bad. You can't reset the current data. You have to reset all the data, which erases any previous data you have. Now that may not be important to you. But I would like to be able to delete or reset just the current data at times. On the other hand, it is good that you can't hit a reset button accidentally and lose all your hard earned steps and data.

Accuracy is, of course, of prime importance in any pedometer. Without that, it is worthless. At first, this pedometer seemed to over count my steps. But as I used it more and counted using the splits so I could erase the data, I discovered it was amazingly accurate. Certainly as accurate as my Fitbit. I just recently reviewed an Ozeri pedometer - a highly rated one. I found it very inaccurate. So, I didn't expect any better from this one. I was pleasantly surprised. This one is very motivating to me because it is accurate and because I can monitor my speed and I have the ability to use splits for various activities.

In short, I love this little pedometer. You don't get any junk steps. It's not 100% accurate. For example, I walked 12 steps in a test and the pedometer gave me seventeen. I turned around and walked the same 12 steps and it gave me thirteen. But there is no perfect pedometer. The Fitbit, for example, gives junk steps.

There is a very noticeable difference in how the Fitbit and the Fit-Meter give steps. For example, in my morning trek to the kitchen to make coffee and return to bed, I log about 60 steps with the Fitbit. I log fewer with the Fit-Meter because I make brief stops here and there. In other words, I don't get a consistent ten steps in all the time. The interesting thing is, however, that it comes out pretty much equal to the expensive Fitbit in step count at the end of the day.

But I have tested and reviewed many, many pedometers and I have to say this is probably the most fun to use and the most accurate I've used thus far. It has a few minor issues.

For example:

There is a little annoyance if you wear the clip. When you put the pedometer on or take it off using the clip, you will hit one or more of the little buttons. Now, you can't reset the unit so that's not a problem like with some pedometers. But I'd much rather be able to deal with the clip without touching any of the function keys. I don't think it has any effect on anything. I'd just rather touch an area where there are no function keys. But, as I said, you won't reset the unit because you can't. So unless that wears out the function keys given enough time, no harm is done.

The pedometer is made of some sort of matte material. It is not plastic but a rubber-like material. So no worry about fingerprints or breaking. I don't know how time will deal with it under normal conditions but I think this is a pretty sturdy pedometer and even if dropped on cement I doubt it would crack.

I am slightly concerned about how the little buttons or keys might hold up going forward. Time will tell. Also, in dim lighting it's somewhat hard if not impossible to read the display. I'd like larger and brighter numbers and even an LED light.

I'd like to add that I got prompt help from customer support via email. That really is very important and many companies simply have very poor support. As expensive as the Fitbit is, their customer support is close to the worst of any company I've done business with. To me, customer service matters.

I have read most of the reviews about this product. Let me address a couple of them. One person said they had 700 steps recorded before they got out of bed or right after they got up. Impossible. Can't happen. Not with this pedometer. They may have been looking at the total steps but not the current day's steps. It is just not possible for that to happen with that pedometer. Many pedometers, including the Fitbit, DO give junk steps. But even they do not give off that many.

Another review said it was hard to set up. It's not. Anything can be confusing. But if you follow the instructions, pay attention, you'll have it set up in minutes.

Someone else said they don't last. I have no reply to that. I have not had mine that long. I hope they're wrong.

Yet another review said the plastic clip does not hold. I find the clip to be strong and holds very well. I know different people have different experiences with anything. And there are times people mistakenly review a product with another product in mind.

The few negatives I've mentioned above about this pedometer are minor annoyances. At least to me. I've reviewed close to 100 pedometers over the last three years and so far I find this one to be the best of breed. And yes, I think it's better than the Fitbit.

Highly recommended.

Susanna K Hutcheson
Fitness & Health Researcher/Reviewer

Ozeri 4x3sport Pocket 3D Pedometer and Activity Tracker with Tri-Axis Technology & 30 Day Memory
Price: $24.95
3 used & new from $24.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Not dependable enough for me, August 23, 2015
I've used the Fitbit for a couple years. I chose to get rid of it when it got the bluetooth and was hooked up to wifi all the time. I do not think it is healthy to have your body used as an antenna. I know the science is out on that but that's what I chose for me. After reading the reviews, I opted to buy this pedometer.

By way of disclaimer, I've only used it for about four days. But I have tested it under numerous conditions and with different strides.

The manual is tiny. I mean tiny. And it is poorly written. Instructions awful. But, on the good side, customer support is superior and quick. Very helpful. Nice folks.

Here's why I don't really like this pedometer. It is not accurate. It says if you take less than ten steps it will count those steps when you take more. So, if you take nine steps, it won't count them. But when you walk twenty, you should have twenty nine. Doesn't happen like that at all. In fact, you may end out with zero. Or you might end out with twenty or eighteeen.

It does not count stairs as advertised. What they mean, but do not say, is that the pedometer seems to understand how to count your steps when you take the stairs. That's fine. But they should say that.

It has no LED light. That is very inconvenient at night or under dim lighting conditions. Or, if your eyesight isn't great as is the case with many older people.

It has to be worn just so in order to work. And you can never be sure when it actually is counting steps. It is not dependable. It goes along doing pretty good and then it just seems to stop counting.

Now I guess that failing to count the 11 steps to my bathroom is not a big deal or really too important. I'm sure that walk has no effect on my health or fitness and is not truly exercise. But I rather expect the 60 to 70 steps to the kitchen for coffee and back to bed should count. Usually I get about 30 steps recorded. Sometimes I get none.

A pedometer has one simple task - to count steps. That's all I ask of one. This one simply does not give that to me. I have adjusted the stride and tried many settings. I know what my stride is as I have owned and reviewed close to 100 pedometers. Of course, one's stride is not the same with every single step or, for that matter, his or her entire lifetime. But, it's easy to find your average.

It seems that most people are very happy with their Ozeri. At least those who have left reviews here. I'm not. It is nice looking. It seems to be built sturdy enough and it quite easy to use. It has some good features. It is inexpensive. The customer support is above average. Far better than Omron and all the others.

But here's the bottom line: It is not dependable.

Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain–for Life
Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain–for Life
by David Perlmutter
Price: $16.38
62 used & new from $16.28

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting theory, August 8, 2015
According to the author, the gut bacteria or lack of it, is the cause of inflammation. Inflammation is the cause or a cause or many major illnesses, including dementia, Alzhermers and diabetes. He includes cancer in his long list. His solution is probiotics and prebiotics. He happens to have his own brand under Garden of Life, by the way.

In this book he stays more or less away from wheat and grains but brings them up. My issue with his books is that he shows no real science. He alludes to it but there is only one mouse study and it is not conclusive. I don't necessarily disagree with his "theory" and it's well worth trying. But I want to see a lot of studies. I want to see the science. So many of these books, while they get on the bestseller list and make a lot of money, are not backed by true, good science.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2015 4:50 AM PDT

The First Family Detail: Secret Service Agents Reveal the Hidden Lives of the Presidents
by Ronald Kessler
Price: $8.92
56 used & new from $7.41

5.0 out of 5 stars A look inside, August 3, 2015
I found it interesting that Hillary Clinton treats people so horrible but can turn a smile on when needed. Then again, I knew this from other inside books I have read. I found this a very interesting look inside lives of the people who protect the president and those close to him and also the truth about the people they protect. It does not give you faith in your leaders. If you ever had it.

I also found it interesting that Obama signed a law giving lifetime Secret Service protection to all former presidents and their spouses going forward. That would include the younger Bush and Obama. What a great way for him to hang on to his wife and get family protection all his life. And I have to ask, why should we, the common tax payer, have to pay all this protection for these folks once they are out of office. They are not royalty.

Gilmour Basic Hedge 8-Inch Coated Blades 8
Gilmour Basic Hedge 8-Inch Coated Blades 8
Price: $10.80
30 used & new from $10.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for thin and light brush and weeds, July 19, 2015
I've only used this one time for some fairly small shrubs and not on anything thick. But they're easy to use and they have little rubber things on them to keep the handle from hitting your fingers or hands. I think for clearing a lot of shrub fast or trimming light shrubs they are excellent. Seem to be well made. They were a pain just to get off the card that holds them together when you get it delivered to you. I don't know why they put a hole in one of the blades but it does nothing for the weeding or cutting.

At any rate, so far I'm happy with them for what they are. I have other tools for heavier things like large limbs and thick shrubs. But I needed this to clear some clutter shrubs that seem to accumulate yearly and I think it will serve me well. When I've used it more, I'll try to do an update. For an inexpensive tool, I think it will be a good value.

Go Set a Watchman: A Novel
Go Set a Watchman: A Novel
by Harper Lee
Price: $16.07
212 used & new from $11.70

5.0 out of 5 stars A first draft that stands on it's own as a historical masterpiece, July 15, 2015
Atticus did not hate blacks nor did he fear them. Rather he thought them children who he needed to protect. He believed that in time they would perhaps become a mature race but that they were not at that point in their evolution. He, like most southerners at the time resist change. It scares them. But, he attended a Klan meeting only to find out who was behind the masks. He's still a decent person. He's just a man and not a god like his daughter thought he was. The town is racist and "many" whites do feel superior for the most part. But the Finches really do not.

The book is structured like a first draft and it is far from polished. The transitions are awkward and I doubt the book will be anywhere near Mockingbird. But, in my opinion, for it's historical value alone, it is a rich read.

Atticus and his male friends were concerned with what they felt was being destroyed in the Constitution, namely the Tenth Amendment. That amendment reads, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." In other words, states rights.

Atticus told his daughter that "Negroes" were not capable of holding important jobs or running towns. Of course, his daughter greatly disagrees. She is hurt by things that came out of her father's mouth at a meeting when he did not know she was listening.

"After the verdict, he walked out of the courtroom in the middle of the day, walked home, and took a steaming bath. He never counted what it cost him; he never looked back. He never knew two pairs of eyes like his own were watching him from the balcony. . . ."

I also saw, although it was tacit, that Scout was, what I always thought, a lesbian. Not overtly. Not ever mentioned. But even in her relationship with the man she "thought" she loved, she showed all the signs of not being heterosexual. And her aunt Alexandra appeared to be of a similar nature although she had been married and had one son.

"Uncle Jimmy’s defection caused not a ripple on Alexandra’s bland horizon: her Missionary Society refreshments were still the best in town; her activities in Maycomb’s three cultural clubs increased; she improved her collection of milk glass when Atticus pried Uncle Jimmy’s money loose from him; in short, she despised men and thrived out of their presence. That her son had developed all the latent characteristics of a three-dollar bill escaped her notice—all she knew was that she was glad he lived in Birmingham because he was oppressively devoted to her, which meant that she felt obliged to make an effort to reciprocate, which she could not with any spontaneity do."

You have to read between the lines and understand these things or you totally miss them. And most people will indeed miss them. "It had never fully occurred to Jean Louise that she was a girl: her life had been one of reckless, pummeling activity; fighting, football, climbing, keeping up with Jem, and besting anyone her own age in any contest requiring physical prowess. When she was calm enough to listen, she considered that a cruel practical joke had been played upon her: she must now go into a world of femininity, a world she despised, could not comprehend nor defend herself against, a world that did not want her."

This book can't compare with Mockingbird. It's a different book entirely. It is, I think, I terrific and very raw discussion, debate, on race. One who is a child of the fifties, as I am, can understand both sides. That does not mean condone a side but understand. The two words are not synonymous.

Jean Louise was hurt terribly by her father and she lost all faith in him. She had been living in New York and she had seen a different kind of life. Also she never heard her father talk the way she did at the meeting. Her hurt was very real and raw and she returned to New York.

At the end, however, she talks candidly to her Uncle Jack, Atticus' brother. He calls her a bigot. She looked the word up in the dictionary. "One obstinately or intolerably devoted to his own church, party, belief, or opinion."

Jack tells her kindly that she didn't like what she heard and what she saw from the people in the town. He said, "You said, in effect, 'I don't like the way these people do, so I have no time for them.'

He then says, "You'd better take time for 'em, honey, otherwise you'll never grow. You'll be the same at sixty as you are now --- then you'll be a case and not my niece. You have a tendency not to give anybody elbow room in your mind for their ideas, no matter how silly you think they are."

In the end, she understands her father and respects the fact that he's trying to preserve the south for her and others like her. She sees he defends blacks and is not a hater, regardless of what he may say or do or have done.

This story, in my opinion, is autobiographical. I found it a good read and good writing for the first draft of a novel. I rather imagine it will be studied by writers for many years and certainly studied by historians.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2015 6:19 PM PDT

Water Exercise
Water Exercise
by Melissa Layne
Price: $17.02
54 used & new from $7.89

5.0 out of 5 stars No impact exercises that really work, July 15, 2015
This review is from: Water Exercise (Paperback)
Nothing compares to effective water exercises. Melissa Layne gives you 15 programs you can follow and adopt to improve your fitness and rehab yourself from the many injuries and disabilities people have. These exercises are especially good for older people who may find other types of exercises uncomfortable.

The thing about water exercises is there is NO impact! And that's a good thing when you have a bum knee or bad back or some injury that makes exercise either painful or even dangerous.

You get underwater photos showing you how to do the exercises and a program developed just for your own unique needs. You are told how many sets and reps to do for the most effective results.

If you want to try water exercises or if you're looking to change up what you're already doing, give this a go. I think you'll enjoy it and get a lot from it.

Fiskars 32-Inch PowerGear Bypass Lopper
Fiskars 32-Inch PowerGear Bypass Lopper
Price: $36.84
50 used & new from $34.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for or needing, July 14, 2015
While these seem to be very strong and well made, I find them a disappointment. The blades are too short and it is too hard to open and get around a limb, especially a large one or one in a small, hard to get to place. The fact they do not extend is also a big disadvantage. And, in my opinion, they're too heavy and if used for any length of time or overhead they are too hard to deal with. I had expected them to be lighter. While I'm female and small, I am a weightlifter and strong. So when I say they're hard to deal with, you can bank on it. Especially if you are a woman or have arthritis as I do.

So, I'm going to find something more suitable for my needs. Now, if all you need is something to go out and occasionally cut down a low hanging limb or shrub and not use it much, this will work fine. Otherwise, you might want to select something else.

Selfie stick, Kiwii Bluetooth monopod, Extendable Wireless Bluetooth Selfie Stick with built-in Bluetooth Remote Shutter w/ Adjustable Phone Holder for iPhone 6/ 6 Plus, iPhone 5 5s 5c, Android, Bluetooth
Offered by Kiwii's Store
Price: $21.99
3 used & new from $8.88

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific selfie stick, July 12, 2015
Pairing the Bluetooth is a snap and I generally don't have to do it after the first time. Sometimes, however, I have to go into my ipod and pair before using. I really like this stick. It's lightweight and easy to use. I can easily put my ipod 5G in a leather case in the end without any trouble. I'm sure it's much easier without the case but I'm not about to take it out of that case each time I want to make a selfie.

I don't think you could get a better selfie stick. It's sturdy and easy to use and just about everything you want in something like this. Highly recommended.

Field Notes Kraft Ruled 3-Pack
Field Notes Kraft Ruled 3-Pack
Offered by Marketfair Stationery
Price: $9.95
13 used & new from $8.41

4.0 out of 5 stars A good easy-to-carry notebook for everyday lists and other things, July 12, 2015
A good notebook is important to me. As a writer and business owner, I need to take notes frequently and for a number of reasons. And, of course, I like to use a notebook for simple everyday things like lists. I've used digital apps for notes but somehow I prefer analog - plain ol' paper and pen or pencil.

Comparing this to Moleskine, I soon noticed a number of differences. Now, I use a fountain pen a lot. The Moleskine is superior for writing with a fountain pen. The Moleskine paper is a bit more thick and has a deeper ivory or yellow tone that's easy on the eyes and more pleasing in my opinion. The Field notes are a plain white. The paper is superior to dime store pads, of course. But not the quality of Moleskine. At least not in my opinion.

Field Notes do not have many pages. But, that's one reason I bought them. I wanted a slim notebook that was lightweight and not bulky.

Of course, The Field Notes are just stapled and not the quality product of Moleskine. There's no getting around that fact. But, I find the Moleskine pad too bulky to carry around in my small bag and to deal with when I'm out. So, I take the Field Notes book and it works fine. I use a pencil or my Tornado pen with it and it's suitable. It's more of a notebook for informal items and items of lesser importance to me. Not client notes or story ideas, article ideas or ads. For that, I turn to Moleskine.

So, I guess it depends on what you want to use the notebook for and how you plan on using it. It depends on what writing instrument you use and whether or not you intend to file the notebooks. I don't see myself filing the Field's notes but I do keep my Moleskine notebooks from year to year. As a minimalist, that may not be a great idea but I like to refer back to them from time to time for a number of reasons. Perhaps a note I made on a client or a note I made about something at a certain time.

Of course, these are things one can get an app for. So, you may prefer to keep your records that way. I do keep many digital records. But, as I say, I prefer to write with a pen when I really want to get my thoughts down. For example, I often create the first draft of a radio commercial in one of my notebooks using a pen. Then I go to the computer and finish it.

So, I recommend Field's Notes as a basic, easy-to-carry simple note pad. But, if you really want a keeper of your thoughts and ideas and a pleasing writing experience that's easy on the eyes, go with Moleskine. For the record, both notebooks will bleed through. Perhaps with pencil they're not so bad but using any ink instrument, including ball point, you'll find bleed through. Just something you may have to live with.
Comment Comment | Permalink