Profile for Ryan Armstrong > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ryan Armstrong RSS Feed (Madrid, Spain)

White House Burning: The Founding Fathers, Our National Debt, and Why It Matters to You
by Simon Johnson
Price: $21.34
141 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, October 23, 2012
This is a great book to get a general overview on the national debt and the history behind it. Though I enjoyed reading it and would most certainly recommend it, I felt they didn't always hit the mark with their recommendations, especially for healthcare (for that, I would look at a book like Innovator's Prescription). Overall great read right before an election.

CK-12 Advanced Probability and Statistics
CK-12 Advanced Probability and Statistics

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Formatting kills it, January 23, 2012
This is a fine text book, but the kindle version jumbles the order of all of the questions. Chapter 1 contains about 4 Question #1's. Very frustrating for studying. I've switched to a different version.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Vague and poorly edited, November 26, 2009
The book reads like a 60 Minutes report. While the story is interesting and offers a revealing perspective of the functioning of US government entities, time and time again the author stops short in his descripitions and leaves the reader to either take him at his word or assumes, I suppose, that the reader doesn't care about the details. This is not true of the entire book, but it happens enough to be frustrating. At times the pace feels rushed.

Equally annoying are the constant errors in editing. The author loves to use the word "this". It drove me insane. Example from Chapter 24: "Avrakotos was paying for the guns and ammunition and making it possible for the Pakistanis to organize this jihad". Was someone else paying for the guns of another? I would say he averages 1 improper use of 'this' per page. Sounds like a little thing, but 500 'this'es can get on your nerves.

To me, if an author doesn't have time to properly edit his book, then all of the facts become suspect. I would recommend this for it's quotes (although one contained the author's beloved misused "this") of the CIA men or for someone already well-read on the subject. For others, I think there are less biased books that would be better to start with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2010 5:42 PM PST