Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Megan E. Hartley > Reviews

Browse

Megan E. Hartley's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Megan E. Hartley RSS Feed

Glam Knits: 25 Designs For Luxe Yarns
Glam Knits: 25 Designs For Luxe Yarns
by Stefanie Japel
81 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Knitting Designer, March 21, 2010
Twenty out of the twenty five patterns are for items I would actually wear. I'm impressed since there are usually only one or two items I would consider making when I look at other knitting books. I've never used the exact yarn that Stefanie uses in her books and the project still comes out looking terrific. I wore one particular cardigan out one evening and got a ton of compliments on it. Nobody believed I had made it because it looked so great. They even checked the back of the neck for tags!

This book contains a lace trimmed halter top with matching skirt, a beautiful halter tunic, some drapey and fitted sweaters with just enough detailing to make them look beautiful without crossing the "this-is-obviously-homemade" line, beautiful fitted and looser cardigans of different lengths, a dress that I am terrified to make even though it looks great on the model, a beautiful puffed sleeve hoodie, a couple of easy bags, a scarf, a sleeved shawl, and a fur collar (not my style, but cute).

If you are looking for a knitting book you will actually use repeatedly instead of making one pattern and never opening the book again, get this book. Get her Fitted Knits book as well.

Fitted Knits: 25  Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
by Stefanie Japel
113 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Knitting Book!, January 31, 2010
This is my favorite knitting book so far because I would actually wear all of the designs except for two (the knitted suit just isn't my style, and the thick and thin cardigan is a little too matronly for my taste) and there aren't as many errors in the book as I have seen in most other books. Look up the Fitted Knits Errata online before beginning any projects and you should be perfectly fine. I have made the Drop-Stitch Lace tank, Short-Sleeved Cardigan with Ribbing, and the Back to School U-Neck Vest, and I plan on making most of the other patterns in the book. I wanted to knit up a few items from the book before I wrote a review because most of the reviews I read on knitting books are from people who just like the pictures. I wanted to write a knowledgeable review from first-hand experience in knitting up the patterns.

I have been knitting for less than a year, and I have had absolutely no problems with following the author's directions on adjusting the patterns for your individual body type. The clothing styles are very stylish and fitted, which is just my style, but they are not so trendy that they will go out of style any time soon. I would also suggest buying GlamKnits by the same author.

Living Raw Food: Get the Glow with More Recipes from Pure Food and Wine
Living Raw Food: Get the Glow with More Recipes from Pure Food and Wine
by Sarma Melngailis
Price: $26.92
110 used & new from $2.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Better Than Raw Food/Real World, July 17, 2009
I loved Sarma's first book so much that it was the only raw food book I used on a regular basis. I was really looking forward to her new book because I knew it would be equally amazing. However, I did not expect to be blown away by it because Raw Food/Real World had raised my expectations so high. I was wrong! This book is even better than the first for a few reasons. The main reason is because it is organized differently. Instead of the traditional juices and shakes/appetizers/salads/main dishes/desserts system of organization, Sarma takes it a step further by separating the dishes that are quicker to prepare and require less equipment from the ones that require a lot more planning, preparation, and equipment that is not standard in everyone's kitchen. This makes food planning way simpler and less overwhelming, especially for someone who is newer to the raw food diet like myself. Also, like the first book, you get a photograph of every recipe instead of just a few of them like the other traditional cookbooks. There are also plenty of short articles about health, so you are not just getting more recipes. You are getting educated as well. As a smoothie/juice lover and a dessert junkie, this book along with her first has made me so much healthier. I could never give up desserts, and now I don't have to. If I want to eat half a chocolate cake in one sitting (as I have been known to do) I can do it and not worry about gaining ten pounds and clogging my arteries. I would suggest this book to anyone who would like to be even just a little bit healthier. Not just someone who is strictly a raw foodist.