Profile for Brian > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian RSS Feed (Brookfield, WI, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Premier 23117 Wind Garden Twister with Twisting Tail, Choo Choo Train (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by BikeWorldUSA
Price: $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This is Christmas themed!, May 23, 2014
While I haven't hung this up yet, I did want to comment that this Train Garden Twister is Christmas-themed. It says "JOY" and has holly decorating the train. You can't see this from a distance, but some people might take issue with it. This wasn't made clear in the description and the holly wasn't visible in the picture.

Pregnant Skeleton Baby Long Sleeve T-Shirt Small Black
Pregnant Skeleton Baby Long Sleeve T-Shirt Small Black
Offered by ThisWear
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but not truly a maternity shirt, November 3, 2013
This shirt is REALLY cute, HOWEVER I will caution any pregnant woman that this is NOT an actual maternity shirt. I am very small to begin with (4' 10"; 90 lbs). I am currently in my 7th month (33 weeks) and I could barely fit into this shirt. Had I been any further along, there's no way the shirt would've fit over my belly. The other reviews that indicated that the picture of the baby skeleton on the shirt was higher up than it anatomically should be is correct. Even thought I'm short, it was still just a little higher than where the baby actually should be. However, with that all said, it's still a cute shirt and I received a lot of complements. But you'll definitely need to take into consideration your size and how far along you'll be when you want to wear this shirt.

The Intelligent Poker Player
The Intelligent Poker Player
Price: $16.47

2.0 out of 5 stars Should be named "The Theoretical Poker Player!", December 7, 2011
I was looking forward to this book when I ordered it from Amazon, and I have to say I was quite disappointed. I have played live poker since the mid 90's, mostly seven card stud and some razz, until Texas hold-em became the game of choice in the early 2000s. I have been a winner online making a total of $400 of deposits on 5 different online sites. I am still owed money from a poker site since "Black Friday". If you include that money, I have made over $4700 from online poker. I am probably a modest loser live. I never tracked my live play as closely as online. But have not been a large loser. So no, I am not Phil Galfond or Chip Reese but I'm not clueless either. That's the point, I want to improve my game, and listening to the 2+2 ad for the book (the publisher) and reading the description, I had big hopes for this book in helping me improve my game.

I feel the book's title is misleading, to say the least:

The books introduction says: "This is a book about poker theory written for as wide an audience as possible."

Further on in the introduction it says, "This also means using a minimum of mathematics."

The book description then says: "As poker theory develops, the field is becoming more abstruse and mathematical; gradually becoming less accessible to the layperson. The Intelligent Poker Player by Philip Newall aims to reverse this trend by presenting a cohesive and sophisticated method of play in plain English."

This book is not as "accessible to the layperson " as the description would lead you to believe. A word of warning: that the level of math that you must understand to fully appreciate this book is quite substantial. This book is more for the mathematically sophisticated who want to develop an appreciation for the poker applications of game theory to an exploitive method of play. Not for someone like me who is a guy that has been around the poker block but does not see himself as an expert in poker, math or game theory. If you don't know what exploitive play is, I would describe it as either playing in a style that takes best advantage of less skilled players mistakes, with certain tactics you always apply. Or attempting to adjust to your opponents style of play to increase the amount of money you win from them thus, opening yourself up to being exploited by a thinking opponent adjusting to your play. This is the way most players attempt to play poker once they move beyond the novice level.

I have read "The Mathematics of Poker " The Mathematics of Poker I mention that here because this book is billed by many reviewers as more practical and targeted toward the regular player then Mathematics . Even though Bill Chen"s and Jerrod Ankenman's chapters went right over my head, there is wonderful summaries at the end of each chapter that I have used successfully to improve my game. For example "Good draws (those which have close to 50% equity) benefit greatly from getting all the money in on the flop. However, if they cannot get all the money in (or enough that they can be hurt by later betting), they prefer to get as little as possible." This one little tidbit and there are many in the "The Mathematics of Poker " helped my game without having a clue about the fine points of the math in the chapters.

The lively anecdotes which can make other poker books fun to read are not here. This is dry stuff. 2 + 2 books are not known for humor or light presentation of poker material (even though the Harrington series on tourney's did entertain and teach me at the same time) At times this book actually reminded me of a college text book. Even the graphics in the book reminded me of a book I would see in a college engineering lecture hall.

Somebody at 2+2 must have thought about how to squeeze a few more bucks out of the poker community and came up with a fantastic idea: Develop a promising title for a book, put in some standard poker knowledge on game theory, go through some of the HU limit hands against a computer that have not been covered much, and then ask some buddies to write positive reviews on Amazon. Jackpot we create an instant classic!

The Polaris sections are interesting, but not relevant in the no-fold-em limit games I play in at my local casino. Who really gets much of a chance to play HU limit poker? If you are outside the US and playing online maybe but then this is not the wide audience that this poker book markets itself as targeted to.

Clearly, given the rave reviews this book is getting, here and on other internet boards I'm in the minority. Maybe I'm wrong. Still, if you're a limit player who likes to grind away, or play HU limit poker online maybe this book is for you. Even then there are other books I'd prefer to read to improve my game. Advanced Limit Hold 'em Strategy by Barry Tanenbaum "Advanced Limit Hold'em Strategy" who just past away in November of 2011 is a gem that may not be as technically correct, but is a book that also improved not only my limit game but my overall poker game as well.

My compliments to the author and publisher (who is a well known poker author himself) for having text-to-speech enabled on the Kindle version. This allows me to interact with the material in different ways. For example I was recently on a long trip in my car and I had the text-to-speech playing while I was driving.

I had a short list of books I narrowed that I hoped would improve my overall game. I now wish I had invested in another book on that list.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2011 7:25 PM PST

Sunscreen-Stick SPF 30+ No Fragrance California Baby 0.50 oz Stick
Sunscreen-Stick SPF 30+ No Fragrance California Baby 0.50 oz Stick
Offered by Etailz
Price: $17.93
14 used & new from $14.59

5.0 out of 5 stars So convenient!, September 6, 2011
This is my second tube...LOVE IT! I keep it in my bag, so I always have it along. That way, in the event of impromptu park stops, we've covered! I also love that I don't have to worry about getting me or my kids all greasy! Regular sunscreen is great for when you're going to the beach or pool, but this stuff is wonderful for those everyday outings that you just want to make sure your kids are protected for!

Traveling Toddler Car Seat Travel Accessory
Traveling Toddler Car Seat Travel Accessory
Offered by Traveling Toddler, LLC
Price: $13.99
5 used & new from $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I'm doing it wrong?, September 6, 2011
I loved the concept of this, but it just didn't work out as well as I had hoped. It took some practice getting it hooked up so that the bottom of the car seat (Britax Marathon 70) didn't drag. Definitely would advise anyone to practice well in advance of your trip, or you'll be frustrated!!! Works well with an empty car seat, but I wouldn't put my son in it, for sure. Better to put your bags in the car seat and either walk or carry your little one - I'd be worried that it would lean too far over to the side, and with the added weight of your kid, it would easily tip over completely. Of course, if you have your kid strapped in - no biggie, but it sure would slow you down!

ALEX® Toys - Early Learning Learn To Dress Monkey -Little Hands 1492
ALEX® Toys - Early Learning Learn To Dress Monkey -Little Hands 1492
Price: $28.30
44 used & new from $28.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Just wish it were a little more durable..., September 6, 2011
I purchased this for our 15-month-old son. He really enjoys it, even though some of the things are too difficult for him to do. I do wish it had velcro (other than the banana) and a snap-buckle somewhere on it. But overall, it had the things I was looking for. As some previous reviews indicated, it's not sewn well, so I did have to re-sew the buttons from the very first day. Little hands are tough on things like buttons, so they need some extra reinforcement! Overall, very happy with the purchase...and I know he'll be able to enjoy it for a long time.

Step2 Naturally Playful Sand & Water Center
Step2 Naturally Playful Sand & Water Center
Price: $95.79
14 used & new from $89.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, September 6, 2011
Purchased this for our 15 month-old son. He's a little on the short side, but he had no problems reaching. I ended up putting additional putty in the holes to prevent dripping, and now there's no issues at all. We actually put water in the sand side (and sand in the water side). He seems to have more fun that way : ) We love the umbrella - just a wonderful option to have to help keep out the direct sunlight! The cover is a great plus, too. Now we don't need to dump the water out every night - just put the cover on and don't need to worry about pesky mosquitoes!

Zooper 2011 Bolero Stroller/Bassinet, Wild Green
Zooper 2011 Bolero Stroller/Bassinet, Wild Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Stroller lots of features but not Cheap, May 18, 2011
We upgraded from a Graco system to the Zooper after our son outgrew the baby carrier. To compare the Graco stroller to the Zooper, it's like going from a Honda to a BMW. It may not be the top of the line Aston Martin like a BOB or Phil and Ted but BMW's are still very nice cars.

I have had my eye on a new stroller for quite awhile now, but just didnt know if it was feasible enough to spend all that money for a high end stroller. I wanted a Bob or a Phil and Ted but my wife wanted something more compact that she could use without needing a personal trainer and weight training program to put it in our Toyota Camry. I really like this stroller, It is very smooth it rolls like a dream! It is not a jogger with air filled rubber tires but is still good enough for any asphalt surface, even as a jogger.

The great points about this stroller are the sun shade, the really nice sleeping bag attachment to keep baby warm on cool or wet days, the ability to turn on a dime, nice thoughtful storage pockets, and it's roomy enough that my little guy has plenty of room to grow. One thing that I wish could be changed, is the size of the basket, but it's really not that big of a deal since it's about the same size on the Baby Trend.

The stroller is also on the bigger side of sizes, it not like an umbrella stroller you would buy at Walmart, but I like that it is sturdy. It is fairly easy to set up, just make sure you read the instructions before you leave home. Our 12 month old son seems very comfortable. It folds very easily and more compact than the Graco but it is long and takes up a fair amount of trunk space. The quality seems very good and should last us another +2 yrs with no problem and will be ready for another child if another comes our way.

Not the cheapest way to go but looks of thoughtful features make me glad we invested in this stroller.

1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets
1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid choice, November 30, 2010
Obviously if you're looking at this book you're looking for ideas to become more organized. I like this book. Some very solid ideas on how to get more organized. Many of the tips I've heard before but it's nice to have them organized in a quick easy read solid form. This book would make an excellent choice for any person wanting to be more organized to round out their Library.

My compliments to the author and publisher for having text-to-speech enabled on the Kindle version. Occasionally when I clean throughout house it's nice to throw the Kindle in my vest pocket and listened to a couple organizational tips while cleaning. I appreciate the ability to interact with the material on the Kindle in this convenient manner.

Patagonia Kindle Case (Fits 6" Display, 2nd Generation Kindle)
Patagonia Kindle Case (Fits 6" Display, 2nd Generation Kindle)

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid Case, November 27, 2010
This case offers good protection for my, 2nd Generation Kindle.

The cover has kept my kindle dry in the rain with it's Water-resistant, 100% polyester soft shell.

The internal nylon stretch-woven document pocket can hold a kindle light.

So why only 3 stars? It probably deserves some where between 3-4 stars.

It's a great cover for protecting the kindle but the Kindle falls out of the case if you try to read with the kindle in the case with the cover folded over.

If you like reading with your Kindle always out of the case this is a fine choice!

I do like the outside handle providing a second secure way to carry the Kindle.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3