Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD
Profile for Robert G Yokoyama > Reviews

Browse

Robert G Yokoyama's Profile

Customer Reviews: 939

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert G Yokoyama RSS Feed (Mililani, Hawaii)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Flip
The Flip
by Michael Phillip Cash
Price: $9.99
41 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed reading The Flip., January 22, 2016
This review is from: The Flip (Paperback)
The title is what drew me to read this book. I think flipping houses is a great way to make a living. The process of flipping involves buying an old house and fixing it up. The next step is trying to sell that flipped house for a profit. I would do this if I had the time, money and knowledge to do it. I have read books about spirits haunting a house before, but Michael Phillip Cash creates two spirit characters and puts them in a romantic setting. The female spirit character seeks love from the male spirit character. The spirits use the bodies of the human characters to express their love for each other in a very romantic part of the book. I like how Michael Phillip Cash connects the fictional New York house in the book to the theme of the Underground Railroad during the Civil War. I don't know how many people escaped via the underground railroad, but it is an interesting topic to investigate because of my love of American history. I really enjoyed reading The Flip.

A Flag for the Flying Dragon: A Captain No Beard Story
A Flag for the Flying Dragon: A Captain No Beard Story
Price: $10.99
24 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a great reminder that every person and every job is important., January 19, 2016
This is an excellent book for children by Carole Roman. The lesson of this book is that every person can make a contribution to a team and that contribution is important. The illustrations of the animals and people are colorful and fun to look at. This book is important to me as an adult. It is a good reminder that I am a valuable contributor to the company I work at. I will keep this book to read to my nephew when I get a chance.

Being a Captain is Hard Work: A Captain No Beard Story (Volume 10)
Being a Captain is Hard Work: A Captain No Beard Story (Volume 10)
Price: $12.99
13 used & new from $9.34

5.0 out of 5 stars This book stresses the importance of listening to other people when making decisions., January 19, 2016
This is a great book by Carole P. Roman. This book stresses the importance of listening to other people when making decisions. Captain No Beard learns the importance of listening to his crew members when his ship encounters bad weather and other problems. Listening to others is such an important skill to teach young children. I think it helps them better students and better people. I also enjoy the colorful illustrations by Bonnie Lemaire. I love the pictures of the colorful animals. There are characters like Fribbet the Frog and Mongo the monkey. This book also contains a glossary of the ten different kinds of clouds. I learned that cumulus clouds are puffy clouds that are seen on sunny days. Stratus clouds are clouds that stretch across the sky and show up on an overcast days. I love learning this new information about clouds. I love everything about this book.

Best of Bowie
Best of Bowie
Price: $6.99
63 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good collection of David Bowie's songs, January 17, 2016
This review is from: Best of Bowie (Audio CD)
This CD contains most of David Bowie's greatest songs. It is missing the hit song "Life On Mars". It is also missing the song "All The Young Dudes", which a song that David Bowie wrote for another group. This CD also does not have his "Little Drummer Boy" duet with Bing Crosby from 1977. I will have to find these songs on other albums. I still give this CD a five star rating even with those missing songs, because the songs that are on here are excellent This CD is a reminder of the rich musical legacy that Bowie has left behind. I grew up in the mid seventies and the early eighties, and Bowie's best songs from that era are included here. They are "Modern Love", "China Girl" "Let's Dance", "Changes" "Rebel Rebel" and "Fame". I love the song "Golden Years". It is a groovy song that I forgot that I liked. I also love his duets with Freddie Mercury and Mick Jagger. I love all the songs on this CD.

The History Major: A Novella
The History Major: A Novella
by Michael Phillip Cash
Price: $10.99
11 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The History Major teaches us that history can help us improve our outlook of life., January 13, 2016
The History Major is an unique short novel. It teaches readers that history can help us understand and improve our outlook in life. The main character is a young college student named Amanda Greene. She is still reeling from the death of grand mother. Amanda also has a strained relationship with her mother who remarried a few years ago. Amanda is the victim of sexual abuse by a family member. I really appreciated the way Michael Phillip Cash brings in the historical figures of Joan of Arc and Lucrezia Borgia. I did not understand how these historical figures fit in the plot of the novel in the beginning, but Michael Phillip Cash explains it in the end. These women are examples of courage and tenacity for anyone going through a hard time in life. I wish Michael Phillip Cash discussed more about what made these women special. He has given me a motivation with this book I really want to learn more about the historical contributions that Joan of Arc and Lucrezia Borgia made in their respective countries of France and Rome respectively. I thank Michael Phillip Cash for introducing these historical figures to me in this book.

My Favorite Things
My Favorite Things
Price: $12.99
35 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the piano playing of Joey Alexander., January 6, 2016
This review is from: My Favorite Things (Audio CD)
I am amazed by the talent of Joey Alexander. I never thought that I would enjoy an album of jazz piano music, but I love this. My favorite piece is "Tour De Force," because it highlights Joey's piano playing and the musicians accompanying him very well. Alphonso Horne plays the trumpet on this track.. I also love the drum playing on this song. Two other tracks I love are "It Might As Well Be Spring" and "I Mean You". These tracks sound so playful and upbeat. They make me so happy. Joey creates lush beautiful music on the piece "Lush Life". His piano playing transports me to the highest state of relaxation that I have ever experienced with this song. "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" sounds so subtle and elegant. I have never heard this song before as an instrumental piece. Joey's piano playing is beautiful on this classic tune. Joey takes a well known show tune like "My Favorite Things", and he gives it an unique jazzy tone. The bass playing by Russell Hall is smooth. He compliments Joey piano playing well. "Ma Blues" is an original piece of music from Joey Alexander. This piece is so upbeat and sensual. I enjoy it very much. "Round Midnight" sounds like a piece of music that I would like to hear while having a romantic dinner with a special woman. It sounds so subtle and intimate. I enjoy the piano playing of Joey Alexander so much.

If You Were Me and Lived in...Italy: A Child's Introduction to Cultures Around the World
Price: $9.99
15 used & new from $7.24

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent book that highlights many interesting things about Italy., January 4, 2016
I have never been to Italy, but I would love to visit some day. Carole Roman highlights some of the things that I would see if I ever got the opportunity to visit. There is a colorful picture by Kelsea Wierenga of the coliseum in Rome. I would love to see the amphitheater that could seat eighty thousand people. There is another beautiful picture of Vatican City. I would love to see the art work and statues there. I learned that the Roman Empire stretched across Western Europe, Asia and even Africa. I love learning some historical information about a country. I learned that a mimosa is a type of a yellow flower. A mimosa is not just a bubbly wine drink that I previously thought. I would love to celebrate la Festa Delle Donna or International Women's Day. I think that it is sweet and unique to honor all the women in Italy. I enjoyed this book very much.

3 LED Solar Lights, VicTsing® [Upgraded Version] 4 Pack 3 LED Solar Light Outdoor Stainless Steel LED Solar Light for Stairs, Paths, Deck, Patio, Garden
Offered by VicTsingDirect
Price: $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these LED solar lights., December 23, 2015
I love these LED solar lights. I charge them in the sun during the day, and I use them at night. I put one light at the top stair of my staircase and one at the bottom It is really helpful because it provides enough light to guide me when I am climbing the stairs. I have a physical disability that impairs my balance and walking. I just hope there is enough sun during the day so they can be charged. I am lucky if I if I can put these lights out in the sun to get six or seven hours of sunlight. I still love to use these lights even though they don't always get enough sunlight to last throughout the night.
Comment Comment | Permalink

VicTsing 300ml Cool Mist Ultrasonic Oil Diffuser with 7-color LED Lights, in Wood Grain
Offered by VicTsingDirect
Price: $45.99
2 used & new from $45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this oil diffuser., December 14, 2015
I really enjoy this oil diffuser. I can use it on a low mist for six hours. I can also use a high mist for ten hours This diffuser changes colors every few seconds.I love it because I need the light during the night. I use it during the day to help me to relax while working on the computer in my room. The fun part is trying out the different oils. I have to purchase these oils, but I don't mind. I have tried lemon, peppermint and even lavender oil so far. This oil diffuser makes a great gift. It helps me to sleep at night and relax during the day.

Spider Speculations: A Physics and Biophysics of Storytelling
Spider Speculations: A Physics and Biophysics of Storytelling
by Jo Carson
Price: $14.37
27 used & new from $6.60

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will help me to collect stories for a community based play., December 5, 2015
Spider Speculations provides excellent guidelines about how to collect personal stories from people, and the attitude that I should have in going about it. The attitude that I have in collecting is one of optimism and gratitude. I learned that my intention could affect the outcome of the story collecting process.

I have been tasked to collect stories from the foster care population in Hawaii by Playbuilders Theater Company of Honolulu. I have been working with them in community plays since 2011. This is for a community based play that will be performed in 2017. Jo Carson touches upon the idea of finding memes in a personal story. A meme is anything with that has a cultural significance to a person.

I have lived with cerebral palsy all my life, and I have been tasked to interview a young man with cerebral palsy for my upcoming play. Cerebral palsy is a congenital neurological condition that affects my balance, coordination and general movement. I can extrapolate from Jo Carson that living with and having the same disability as another person is a meme, because it is something we both have to deal with daily.

The ability to reframe a story is something I also learned in this book. To reframe a story is to give a story a different perspective. Reframing is important when a story is painful. I will probably have to reframe the story that I will be told to give it some hopeful value.

Jo Carson discusses the idea of agency. How agency relates to theater is insightful information. I have never heard this term used before, and I believe that it will be helpful to me in collecting stories. Giving agency to a character on the stage can be something as simple as expressing a personal opinion making a life altering decision. Giving agency simply means giving that person the freedom to act on their own behalf.

I am motivated to collect stories and to try to craft them into a play because of this book. I have no established expectations about the story gathering and story telling process, but I think that having an attitude of gratitude is a great starting point. Having an attitude of gratitude will probably make it easier for people to share their personal stories with me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2015 8:24 AM PST