Profile for Robert G Yokoyama > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 895

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert G Yokoyama RSS Feed (Mililani, Hawaii)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Piece By Piece (Deluxe Edition)
Piece By Piece (Deluxe Edition)
Price: $13.96
46 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great new album from Kelly Clarkson., March 4, 2015
There is a good balance between faster tempo songs and the slower tempo ones. There are lyrically moving songs on this album as well. I love "Heartbreak Song" It is a excellent dance tune. Some songs are lyrically inspiring like "Invincible". This is a song that will make young girls feel better about themselves. The title song is a reminder that a person's faith in people can be restored after being damaged. "Piece By Piece" is a song that I listen to for inner strength when I need it. "In The Blue" is the best song about how friendship that transcends time. This song resonates with me. I think it is because I have several true blue friends that I have grown up with. "Second Wind" is another gem of a song. It touches me because I believe that anyone can get a second wind. "Second Wind" is the kind of song that motivates me not to give up on anything. "Run Run Run" is a superb duet with John Legend. I never thought I would hear these two very different voices singing together on a song. I love the piano playing on "Run Run Run" by him. I also enjoy John Legend's soulful voice paired with Kelly. This is an entertaining album by Kelly.

Smoke and Mirrors
Smoke and Mirrors
Price: $11.88
70 used & new from $6.59

5.0 out of 5 stars I like the mix of fast and slower tempo songs on this album., February 23, 2015
This review is from: Smoke and Mirrors (Audio CD)
My favorite song on this album is the title track. It combines great lead vocals and mind blowing guitar playing. The lead vocals make me feel peaceful. The electric guitar playing mixes well with the vocals. My other favorite song is "Trouble". This song has such an infectious beat. It makes me want to march or do some exercises or something. "I'm So Sorry" and "Friction" are two songs that keep me on the edge of seat. These two songs will help me to release some anger and tension when it comes up. "I Bet My Life" is a song that resonates with me. This song touches me because I am always putting my life and trust in other people. "Shots" and "Hopeless Opus" are two songs that remind me to forgive myself for any personal mistakes I have made in life. The lyrics of these two songs really touches me. I love the way Dan Reynolds sings. He has the ability to sing a fast or slow song equally well. "Smoke and Mirrors" is a very enjoyable album from Imagine Dragons

Creative Anarchy: How to Break the Rules of Graphic Design for Creative Success
Creative Anarchy: How to Break the Rules of Graphic Design for Creative Success
by Denise Bosler
Price: $23.42
70 used & new from $18.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative Anarchy introduces me to the fascinating world of graphic design., February 22, 2015
Graphic design is a fascinating subject. I would like a job in creative design because of this book. It would be so much fun to do something creative. Creative Anarchy is about breaking the rules of graphic design to create something unique. I work for a theater company part time, so this information could be very useful in my work right now. One important rule of graphic design is that type is everything. I learned some new words that will help me to understand how to use type in graphic design. I learned that kerning is the space between two letters in a single word. I learned that tracking is the spacing of all the letters in a single word. I will remember these words if I ever get the chance to design a poster for my new play in April. There is a picture of a poster advertising the Shakespearean play Othello. The first O in Othello is at the top of the poster. The other letters are in a descending diagonal pattern that covers the entire poster. The display of the letters signifies the descent that Othello experiences in the play. I hope to create a poster that is memorable for my future plays. Another rule of graphic design is to use a grid. I aspire to write a book of my poems. I want to write an autobiography some day too. I could use a column grid. This kind of grid works perfectly for books that combines words and pictures together. I learned a few things the use of color in graphic design. I learned that hue is the name of a color. I learned that tint is the lightness of a color. I learned that shade is the range within a particular color. I hope to get the chance to create a mural some day. I could use my knowledge of color to create a spectacular mural. I learned so much from reading Creative Anarchy. I can not wait to apply some of the things I have learned in my work and personal projects.

Captain No Beard and the Aurora Borealis (Captain No Beard Stories)
Captain No Beard and the Aurora Borealis (Captain No Beard Stories)
Price: $9.99
15 used & new from $1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars This beautiful book teaches kids that stealing is wrong., February 10, 2015
The title of this book drew me to it. I did not know anything about the Aurora Borealis. I want to learn more about astronomy and about the different stars in the sky. The message of this book is that stealing is wrong. I really appreciate the lessons that Carole P. Roman includes in all of her books. There is a picture of a monkey with an eye patch. I think this picture is very neat. Every page has a colorful picture on it. Every page seems like a beautiful painting to me. I love this book very much.

Fribbet the Frog and the Tadpoles: Captain No Beard
Fribbet the Frog and the Tadpoles: Captain No Beard
Price: $9.99
7 used & new from $6.51

5.0 out of 5 stars This book teaches kids about the joy of having siblings., February 10, 2015
Fribbet The Frog and the Tadpoles is a great book for children. It teaches kids how to accept change in the family. It teaches kids that having siblings can be a fun experience. I love the colorful pictures of the green frogs in this book. Every page is filled with bright colored pictures. It makes this book so much fun to look at and read. Carole P. Roman uses the human example of Captain No Beard and his sister Cayla to show that having a sibling can be enjoyable. I enjoy this book very much.

The Crew Goes Coconuts!: A Captain No Beard Story Volume 6
The Crew Goes Coconuts!: A Captain No Beard Story Volume 6
Price: $11.99
21 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Crew Goes Coconuts is an excellent book for kids that teaches some important lessons., February 9, 2015
The Crew Goes Coconuts is an excellent book for children. It teaches kids the importance of not teasing anyone. This book also aims to teach to look for the good in everyone and to accept them. Another message of this book is that everyone is special and has something to offer. I love the alliterative names in the book. There is a Mongo monkey There is also a Fribbet the frog and Linus the lion. The names gives the words a poetic quality. This makes this book easy to read. Every page has a colorful animal that is fun to look at for kids and adults. I like this book very much.

If You Were Me and Lived in...Portugal: A Child's Introduction to Culture Around the World
Price: $8.84
21 used & new from $3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned some fascinating things about Portugal from reading this book., February 9, 2015
I love to visit Portugal. Until I have the money and time to do so, this book is the next best thing. This book highlights some of the best things about Portugal. I learned that Portugal is located on the Iberian Peninsula. I learned that Portugal is close to the country of Spain. I love any book that expands my knowledge of geography.

I love to visit the Azores islands. There are a chain of nine volcanic island in Portugal. I could see marine animals like whales and dolphins. I have never seen this animals up close. I would love the chance to see these animals with my own two eyes. I would love to celebrate Carnaval and eat a sausage and melted cheese sandwich with tomato salsa Carnaval is celebrated this month in the countries of Portugal and Peru. The pictures in this book are colorful and fun to look at.

If You Were Me and Lived in...Scotland: A Child's Introduction to Culures Around the World (Volume 15)
Price: $9.04
10 used & new from $2.09

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned some fascinating and fun things about Scotland in this book., February 8, 2015
I would love to visit Scotland some day. Since I do not have the time or money to do that, this short book is the next best thing. This book highlights some of the special things in Scotland. I learned that Scotland is made of over 700 islands. I am an avid sports fan. I would love to see the Highland Games as a fan in person.There is a colorful picture of men doing a log toss in the book. I love to see Loch Ness lake . I have always been curious if the Loch Ness monster really exists. Scotland has some of the most beautiful castles and golf courses. These are things that I would to see as a tourist

I am always interested in different foods. I would enjoy eating potato muffins. They are called tattie scones. There is another fish stew called cullen shink. I have never heard of this before. It is a stew made with haddock fish, potatoes and onions. This sounds very delicious to me. I really enjoy the information presented in this book. This is an excellent book.

If You Were Me and Lived in...Peru: A Child's Introduction to Cultures Around the World
Price: $8.33
21 used & new from $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent book that introduces children to Peru, February 8, 2015
This is an excellent book by Carole P.Roman. It introduces children to the culture in the country of Peru. There is a photo of Machu Picchu in the book. I love to visit Machu Picchu. It looks so beautiful. The height of Machu Picchu on the mountain makes it look majestic. I learned that the capital Lima comes from the Indian word talker. I would to travel through the Amazon rain forest or walk through the dry plains in Peru too.

I love to visit Peru just to celebrate Carnaval. It is a celebration that happens this month. I love to try Peruvian food. There is a fish dish called ceviche. It is raw white fish soaked in lime and onions. I love to eat fish, so this sounds delicious to me. There is no mention of Lake Titicaca in this book. It is the largest lake in South America. The information contained in this book is superb though. The pictures are colorful and fun to look at.

The Porcelain Thief: Searching the Middle Kingdom for Buried China
The Porcelain Thief: Searching the Middle Kingdom for Buried China
by Huan Hsu
Price: $19.89

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned more about Chinese history and language by reading The Porcelain Thief., February 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am half Chinese. My knowledge of the culture is limited to Chinese cuisine and the few Mandarin words and phrases I learned from my mother growing up. The Porcelain Thief is about Huan Hsu's search for his family's buried porcelain in China. Hsu's great great grandfather buried the family porcelain in 1938 when the Japanese took over China in the Sino Japanese War. This war happened just before the Communists took over China in 1949. This book taught me a little about Chinese history which I enjoyed.

Hsu is a former journalist who grew up in Utah and now teaches writing in Europe. The Porcelain Thief does not reveal if Huan Hsu successfully recovers the family porcelain. I do admire his passion for learning everything about it though. Porcelain has been used as method of currency and used as a sacrifice in religious ceremonies. It has also been given a gift. There are references to things made out of porcelain in this book. Hsu mentions a porcelain fish bowl, a porcelain vase and even a porcelain peach.

I enjoyed reading about the accomplishments of the members of Huan Hsu's family. Hsu's great great grandfather opened and taught in a Chinese school. He also served as the village doctor in the late 19th century. Hsu's grandmother earned a college degree in chemistry in the early 20th century. Their achievements surprise me, because I did not think that Chinese received any educational opportunities in the late 19th and early 20th century.

The Porcelain Thief expands my knowledge of the Chinese language. I learned that sishu is the Chinese word for school. I learned luo suo means naughty or stubborn. I learned that mei ban fa means impossible. I also learned that jing ming means smart or sharp witted. I hope I can use these words in some way when I talk to my Chinese family. I learned more about the Chinese language and cultural history by reading The Porcelain Thief. It is an excellent book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20