Profile for Robert G Yokoyama > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 868

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert G Yokoyama RSS Feed (Mililani, Hawaii)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Partners
Partners
Price: $11.88
28 used & new from $7.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Partners is one of the best albums of 2014., September 25, 2014
This review is from: Partners (Audio CD)
I love every song on this album. Barbra proves that she can take these classic songs and make them sound new and special with any partner. My favorite is “New York State of Mind”. I forgot how much warmth and wisdom Billy Joel’s voice contains. Barbra sounds great singing with the piano man. Barbra harmonizes so well with John Legend on the song “What Kind of Fool”. I absolutely love the original with Barry Gibb, but John gives this song a new soulful quality. The piano and acoustic guitar playing are so pretty on the song “Evergreen”. Babyface sounds so smooth and soulful on this classic song.

“I’d Want It to Be You” is a beautiful duet with Blake Shelton. This song makes me believe that Blake and Barbra could be the best of friends I have never heard of this song before, and it is a pleasant surprise. I love Barbra’s duet with Stevie Wonder entitled “People”. I love Stevie’s harmonica playing on this track. His vocals are superb too. It is great to hear him sing anything after such a long absence. Only Streisand could get all my favorite singers to perform on her album. “Come Rain or Come Shine” features John Mayer playing a bluesy electric guitar. This song sounds so cool because of John Mayer’s talents. The biggest surprise may be Barbra’s duet with her son Jason Gould on the song “How Deep is the Ocean”. This is a very touching and beautiful song. I can’t stop listening to this CD. It is one of the best of the year.

Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole: A Renowned Neurologist Explains the Mystery and Drama of Brain Disease
by Brian Burrell
Price: $19.25
32 used & new from $15.41

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the first book about brain disease I have ever read, and I think it is fascinating., September 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I find any book about neurology to be fascinating. The title of the book comes from Alice in Wonderland. It is often difficult to get a patient out a rabbit hole when they are diagnosed. Dr. Allan Ropper is a clinical neurologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. His job is to listen to his patients and diagnose their problem and decide what to do. Clinical neurologists save the lives of patients but they also helps patients to end their lives too. Ropper devotes two chapters sharing about Lou Gehrig’s disease or ALS affects the lives of two different patients. One male patient with ALS is able to type on the computer with his knee. He can still engage with the community and meet people. The other patient is a female. Her quality of life is not that good. She cannot communicate with other people and is bedridden. The difference between the quality of life between these two people are striking. Dr. Ropper decides to humanely end the life of the female patient by removing her breathing tube so her breathing stops. He does so at the request of the patient and her family.

Some of the stories in this book are scary. There is a story about a woman who has an ovarian teratoma in her body. A teratoma is a tumor that contains cells from different parts of the body. This tumor causes her to have hallucinations. Her hallucinations stop after her ovary is removed. I learned that 6,000 people suffer a stroke in the United States. There is a story of a young woman who suffered a series of strokes because of a chiropractic treatment. I did not even know that this could happen. This patient received blood thinners to stop future strokes from occurring. Ropper also treats a man with amnesia by giving him medication to raise his blood pressure and anticoagulant medication. The diversity of Ropper’s patients and their conditions makes this book interesting.

One of Allan Ropper’s former patients is Michael J. Fox. He has lived with Parkinson’s disease for over twenty years, but he still continues to work and even plays golf. He has created a foundation to find a cure for Parkinson’s disease. Michael J. Fox is proof that a person can live a full life with a neurological disease. Ropper briefly discusses another patient that suffers from tremors, but he concludes that this patient’s problem is Lyme disease. I am not studying to be a doctor, but I learned that it is important to get the correct diagnosis in order to receive the appropriate treatment.

There is no information in this book about how to prevent brain disease from happening. I would have liked some information about this. I can only do what I believe is healthy for my brain. I have to continue to do things like learn new things. I have to continue to eat healthy and exercise regularly. My brain will be disease free if I keep doing these things.

Why Football Matters: My Education in the Game
Why Football Matters: My Education in the Game
by Mark Edmundson
Price: $20.05
60 used & new from $13.36

5.0 out of 5 stars This book convinces me that football really does matter., August 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love to watch football, but I am unable to play because of a physical disability. Still, I never even thought about the values a person can learn from playing the game until I read this book. Mark Edmundson articulates these values in this book. He played two years of high school football in Massachusetts. The values that he learned in those two years have stayed with him for more than forty years. He is now a professor of English at the University of Virginia.

He finds examples from poems, books and his own personal life to illustrate the values he picked up. He uses the example from Homer's poem The Iliad to show examples of character. Achilles is the brave impulsive warrior in the poem. His personality is similar to the football players who risk their bodies playing football. There is another character in the Iliad named Hector. Hector is also a fearless warrior, but he possesses the ability to show tenderness off the battle field. Achilles does not have this trait in him. I never read the Iliad, but I am inspired to because of Edmundson's brief explanation of the characters. Character can also be developed through effort and hard work. Edmundson lifted weights and exercised daily to become a contributing member of his high school football team as a linemen.

The sport of football is also about learning how to deal with loss. Edmundson shares his personal experience of dealing with the death of his sister at a very young age due to a stroke. It is healthy to mourn after a family member dies. But, It is also necessary to move on with life after the grieving is done. This is what a football player should do after a loss. They should move on after reflecting about the loss.

I learned football that instills faith in a person. I am not a very religious person, but I think the practice of praying before playing a football game is good. A football player may pray to have a good game and not to get injured. It also makes sense that a football player says a prayer to play to the best of their ability to help the team to win. I never thought about the connection between football and faith before, but Edmundson makes it sound logical and important.

There is another poem in this book that I really like. The poem is entitled The Bee by James Dickey. This poem is about a how a father finds the strength to save his son, who is desperately trying to escape from a bee sting by running into traffic.James Dickey musters up courage from playing college football at Clemson University. I never even knew that James Dickey wrote poetry. I like the subject matter of this poem a lot. I never thought a person could learn so much from playing football. I never thought that qualities of a football player could be found in literature either. I enjoyed this book very much.

Anthony Ant Goes to France
Anthony Ant Goes to France
by Julie Bettendorf
Price: $12.56
7 used & new from $8.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Anthony Ant Goes To France is a book that appeals to readers of all ages., August 27, 2014
Anthony Ant Goes To France is an imaginative book. It is targeted for children, but it appeals to readers of all ages. My young nephew really enjoys looking at the colorful pictures. Every last word in one sentence rhymes with the last word in the next sentence, which gives this book a poetic quality making it easy to read. I would love to visit France someday. Julie Bettendorf makes me believe that an ant and a lady bug could enjoy the beauty of France. This book is like a guide book for tourists interested in visiting France. I would love to visit the beautiful flower garden. I would love to tour the Louvre and walk inside Notre Dame Cathedral. I would also love to walk down the Champs Elysees to see people walking their dogs. Anthony Ant Goes To France is a very enjoyable book.

Smartcuts: How Hackers, Innovators, and Icons Accelerate Success
Smartcuts: How Hackers, Innovators, and Icons Accelerate Success
by Shane Snow
Price: $16.71
48 used & new from $12.55

5.0 out of 5 stars It is neat to read a book that resonates with me personally in my work., August 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Smart Cuts provides examples of people who have achieved success by doing things to accelerate the career. I have never even heard of Sonny Young, but he is a musician now known as Skrillex . He started his career wanting to be a singer, but he discovered a talent for being a music disc jockey. He used those skills to create his own version of music called electronic dance music. This passion led to career as a record producer for pop star Lady Gaga. I am also inspired by the achievements of D’Wayne Edwards. He possessed a gift for drawing. This led to a career in designing shoes. Edwards now runs his own shoe design academy named Pensole footwear in Oregon, where he now teaches students how to design sneakers. I have heard of a shoe design academy before, so I found this story to be very interesting. These two men remained active in pursuing their individual passions. They were able to able to elevate their talents into successful careers. Some ideas in the book resonates with me personally. I can relate to having a mentor and being a super connector in my job.

I work for a theater company called Playbuilders in the state of Hawaii. Our play about the homeless problem in Hawaii received the highest award for best overall play of the year last week. I am not the most talented actor, but I have a theater mentor that helped me to learn my character and memorize my lines. My theater mentor is very important to my development. She pushes me and encourages me to improve on each individual performance that I do.

I am involved in a new play. This play is about the history and people of Waipahu, which is a town close to where I live. My role in this play is community organizer. I have to locate people who live a specific community. I need to find out if they have a story they are willing to share, and then I have to connect them to the playwright of this play project. I have connected five people to this play project so far. Meeting different people is a fun way to learn how to get into character when I am on stage, because I believe that every person has a different perspective about a specific subject. It is neat to read a book that contain so many concepts that resonate so strongly in my life and work.

They Want My Soul
They Want My Soul
Offered by TOUCHING
Price: $9.49
46 used & new from $7.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent alternative rock album., August 5, 2014
This review is from: They Want My Soul (Audio CD)
This is a great album from Spoon. I like the variety of songs on this album. "They Want My Soul" and "Do You" are two lyrically meaningful songs for me. These tunes forces me to reflect on my place in the world and how my life is going. The lead vocals of Britt Daniel is superb here. "Outlier" is the purest rock song on the album. The tone of this song just oozes energy. This song is about living life on the edge. "Inside Out" is a slower paced song. I think this song features a harp playing. This is a kind of song that makes me forget about all my problems. I also like the song "Rainy Taxi". I don't know why this song is entitled Rainy Taxi, but I like it. I think this song is about the conflict that happens between two people in a relationship. This song has a groovy tone. Jim Eno provides a surge of energy on the drums on this song. I like it very much. Rob Pope provides funky guitar riffs on the song "Knock Knock Knock". This song does not touch me lyrically like the others, but I enjoy listening to it. The band members are so talented individually. Collectively though, these musicians form one of the best alternative rock bands around today.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol.1
Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol.1
Price: $10.00
43 used & new from $5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars The music on this soundtrack is excellent., August 1, 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy is one of the most enjoyable movies of the summer. This soundtrack reflects the humor of the film so well The songs are not in order as they appear in the film, but that is okay. "I'm Not In Love" is the first song featured in the movie. I like this song, because it reminds me of all the girls I liked in my youth. "Moonage Daydream" is probably my favorite track on this soundtrack though. This song fits the film's space adventure theme better than any other song on here. I am a David Bowie fan so that is why it is one of my favorites. "Hooked On A Feeling" is another good song. I prefer the BJ Thomas version, but this cover works just fine. "Fooled Around And Fell in Love" by Elvin Bishop is featured in one of the funniest scenes of the movie. I haven't heard "The Pina Colada Song" in years. This song topped the charts way back in the last month of 1979, but I still enjoy listening to it. I love the feisty spirit of the song "Cherry Bomb" by the Runaways. This song features a very young Joan Jett singing her first hit song. "Ooh Child"and "Aint No Mountain High Enough" are two fun R and B classics that add to the diversity and enjoyment of this soundtrack for me
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2014 7:24 PM PDT

The Voyager
The Voyager
Offered by Moonlight Shadow
Price: $9.66
45 used & new from $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this new album by Jenny Lewis., July 29, 2014
This review is from: The Voyager (Audio CD)
I love this new album from Jenny Lewis. “Head Underwater” reminds me never to give up in life because there is always something to look forward to. This is a very upbeat song to start the album. “The Voyager” is a song that encourages me to explore all the possibilities in life. It reminds me that I need to detach from all material things to spur my creativity. Just One of The Guys is another song I really like. This is a song about resisting going with the crowd and doing my own thing in life. These three songs really resonate with me lyrically. “Love U Forever” has great guitar riffs. I love the musical arrangement of this song. Jenny Lewis shows such a sensual quality in her voice on the song “Late Bloomer”. I really like her vocal performance on this song. “She’s Not Me” is a song about the pain that men cause women and vice versa in a relationship. I love the sounds of the waves on the song “Aloha and The Three Johns”. This is probably the most upbeat song about the end of a relationship I have ever heard. I am from Hawaii. It is ironic to hear that any Hawaiian song can drive someone crazy. Despite of this reference, I enjoy this song very much. “The New You” is a song about how people have to adjust to a new stressful situation every day. The electric guitar sounds beautifully subtle on this song. This entire album sounds terrific.

The Temple Is Not My Father: A Story Set in India
The Temple Is Not My Father: A Story Set in India
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The unusual title of this book motivated me to read it., July 25, 2014
The Temple Is Not My Father is an insightful book. Rasana Atreya introduces me to a group of people called devadasi in the Indian culture. The devadasi are servants of God. They are preteen girls who are sacrificed by their families to become prostitutes. It sounds rather strange for servants of God to become prostitutes.

The main character in this book is a woman named Godavari. I learned that the Godavari is the longest river in India. Godavari has a sister named Krishna. This is the name of the blue skinned Hindi god. I also learned that a kirana is a grocery store. Godavari is a devadasi She is also a loving mother to a young daughter named Sreeja. I learned that Sreeja means spiritually intense. All of these words are from a classical Indian language called Telugu. Part of the fun of this book is just learning the meaning of these names and words online.

The transformation of the character of Godavari is special here. In the first part of the book, she is a lonely and isolated mother. She is motivated by her sister to attend a non-government school to make something of herself. She receives an education and becomes a crusader for young girls in need. This is a short book, but the characters and themes are strongly presented and developed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2014 11:22 PM PDT

Edge of Nowhere
Edge of Nowhere
by John E. Smelcer
Price: $8.99
36 used & new from $3.18

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a beautifully written book., July 21, 2014
This review is from: Edge of Nowhere (Paperback)
Edge of Nowhere is set in Prince William Sound, which is located in southern Alaska. The people of Prince William Sound speak an endangered native Alaskan language called Alutiq. It is neat just to be exposed to a new language. Each of the eighteen chapters in this book are prefaced with the Alutiiq number and the corresponding English number. I learned the Alutiiq word for salmon is Igalluk.

People earn a living on Prince William Sound by salmon fishing. I like to go to salmon fishing, but I can't imagine doing for a living. John Smelcer establishes that salmon fishing is how people who live on Prince William Sound survive. It pays for the mortgage and the food. It also pays for the crew who work on the boat. I can visualize all the animals that he describes in this book. They are deer, sea otters, black bears and salmon of course.

The plot centers around a teenage boy named Seth. He gets hit by a wave, and he goes overboard while on his family fishing boat. He lands on one of the islands in Prince William Sound. I love the way he learns how to survive for months on his own. He crafts a spear with a tree branch . to catch salmon. He also survives by eating mussels and dandelions. He uses the tide currents to literally swim in the direction of his home. It is not often that I admire the traits of a fictional character, but I do admire Seth's courage and survival instincts.

The other character is Jack. He is Seth's father. He is determined to do anything to find his son. Edge of Nowhere is very much a coming of age novel. The character of Seth starts the novel as a boy, but he becomes a self reliant young man because of his experience.

The theme of a death of a family member is explored in this book. I don't want to give the plot away. I will say that Seth learns to accept that death is an natural part of life. Seth learns that sometimes that no one can be blamed for the sudden passing of the loved one. I like everything about the book Edge of Nowhere.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20