Profile for Robert G Yokoyama > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 878

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert G Yokoyama RSS Feed (Mililani, Hawaii)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Greatest Hits: Decade #1
Greatest Hits: Decade #1
Price: $10.99
47 used & new from $9.38

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good greatest hits album, even though it is missing some hit songs., December 10, 2014
Carrie Underwood is one of the biggest stars in music. I love all her up tempo songs like "Good Girl", "Before He Cheats" and "Cowboy Cassanova". No one can sing about an unfaithful man better than Carrie Underwood. I love the energy she shows on these songs. "Temporary Home" is a special song to me . It is a slower tempo song about the problem of homelessness in America. I work with a lot of homeless people, so the lyrics of this song are very moving to me. "See You Again" is another special song. This song reminds me of all of my friends who have passed away. This song is very touching to me. "Jesus Take The Wheel" is a great song about Carrie's faith in God. "Inside Your Heaven" is the song that started her career. This collection omits the song "Ever After" from the animated film Enchanted. I would like to have seen this song included here, but the songs that are on here are superb. The song "Some Hearts is also missing from this collection. This song is one of Carrie's biggest hits. I don't understand what this song is excluded here. I really enjoy this collection, even though these two songs are missing..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2014 5:27 AM PST

The Other Shakespeare
The Other Shakespeare
by Lea Rachel
Price: $9.95
15 used & new from $5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The Other Shakespeare has a strong minded female character at the center of the book., December 7, 2014
This review is from: The Other Shakespeare (Paperback)
The Other Shakespeare is about the fictional character of Judith Shakespeare. She is the older sibling of William Shakespeare. The setting of the book is sixteenth century England. Women lacked the ability to read or write back then. Women were expected to get married and become subservient to their husbands. Judith is the complete opposite of the women in the sixteenth century. Judith is a strong minded woman who believes that women are equal to men. She believes that women can live independently of men and succeed. She is the kind of character that I would expect to read in any modern novel.

Judith possesses a love of reading and writing. These are skills that she learns from her brother William. She has a love of writing plays. There are no new plays mentioned in this book. There are references to plays like Romeo and Juliet, The Tempest and Macbeth that I recognized. There are references to other plays, but those are main ones that stand out to me. Lea Rachel makes me believe that the character of Rachel possessed the talent to create such beautiful theatrical works of art. I would liked to have seen Judith receive a chance to show her talent, but the historical context of the book and the male characters do not permit this. Still, I enjoyed the fictional character of Judith because of her intelligence and ambition. I recommend the book for that reason.

If You Were Me and Lived in... Hungary: A Child's Introduction to Culture Around the World (Volume 14)
by Carole P. Roman
Price: $8.97
15 used & new from $8.14

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned a little bit about Hungary from reading this book., December 2, 2014
I have never been to Hungary. I enjoyed learning about it by reading this book intended for children. There are colorful pictures to represent some of the tourist attractions. There is a beautiful picture of the Hungarian parliament where all the laws are made. I learned that there are 712 caves in Hungry. I love to explore these caves to see what makes each one unique. I learned a little bit about Hungarian food. There is also a reference to a cherry soup called menygyleves that I would like to try. I love to eat cherries, so I would love to try to make this soup for myself. I learned that dobos tortas is a sponge cake topped with caramel. I learned goulash is a stew with meat and vegetables. I am very interested in trying different foods, so I really picked up on all of the food references I would to try all of these foods some time. I learned that Hungary is a land locked country. I would have like to have seen what countries border Hungary in the book, but that information is not provided. I am motivated to learn about the geography and language of Hungary because of this book. I really like this book.

Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America
Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America
by Jill Leovy
Price: $20.52

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a true moving story of the homicide of one young black man., November 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ghettoside is the true story of the murder of eighteen year old Bryant Tennelle in 2007. The work of homicide detectives in South Central Los Angeles can be difficult. It can be hard to find a reliable witness to testify in a homicide case because of fear. A witness may even disappear or change their testimony. Gang involvement, being black or simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time are some of the reasons for this epidemic. A homicide affects everyone involved. A detective must often notify that a family member has died. This can be one of the most difficult duties of the job, but cops in South Central LA do it with professionalism and compassion. They have to because of the emotional response by family to a tragedy. Not all homicide gets solved because of the lack of witnesses or evidence This book is mainly centered on the efforts of homicide detective John Skaggs to solve the murder of Bryant Tennelle. He treats everyone involved in this case with his no nonsense integrity and a sense of compassion. He convinces a stripper to get a respectable job and complete her high school education. He interrogates suspects with a sense of ease that makes it easy for them to confess. I admire the job of homicide detectives because of the work ethic of people like John Skaggs. The homicide of black men makes feel sad. This book opens my eyes to the reality of the homicide of young black men in south central Los Angeles.

Why Not? Conquering The Road Less Traveled
Why Not? Conquering The Road Less Traveled
by John Brown
Price: $17.99
14 used & new from $16.94

5.0 out of 5 stars This book resonates with me because I have cerebral palsy too., November 17, 2014
John Brown spent over forty years as a successful traffic reporter, disc jockey and weather man on the radio. He has worked mainly in Philadelphia, but he has been all over the East Coast. His career and longevity is fascinating to me. He has cerebral palsy, which affects his balance, coordination and overall movement. Cerebral palsy has not affected his capacity and enjoy life I use a wheelchair and have balance and walking problems. This book resonates with me because I have cerebral palsy too. I have had employment success as a job readiness instructor and as a theater actor. My career may not be like John Brown, but I try to have the same positive attitude about life. I am open to trying and learning new things. John Brown is honest about his health problems with his back and hip. I can certainly relate to having those problems in my life. But for the most part, this book has a positive tone. I really enjoy looking at the pictures of his wife Donna and his friends in this book. The pictures communicate that John Brown loves life and people. Why Not is a book that gives me a sense of hope. I will keep trying to achieve my goal of finding consistent meaningful work and someone to love.

My Dream Duets
My Dream Duets
Price: $11.88
56 used & new from $6.92

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this CD of duets very much., November 11, 2014
This review is from: My Dream Duets (Audio CD)
I love every song on this duets album. I have never of the song "Zing Goes The Strings Of My Heart" by Judy Garland before. I have never heard of the Jimmy Durante song "The Song's Gotta Come From The Heart". These two songs are special to me because I've heard of them before. I want to thank Barry for sharing the music of these two music legends on this album.The musical arrangements on the Judy Garland duet are jazzy and upbeat. "The Song's Gotta Come From The Heart" is a song with a lot of heart. Two classic songs from my childhood are included on this disc. "Sunshine On My Shoulders" sounds superb. I remember listening to the song on the family record player back in the day. It did not sound this good. "The Candyman" with Sammy Davis Jr. is another song from my childhood. This song has always put me in a good mood. The duet with Louis Armstrong is excellent. His voice paired with Barry conveys so much warmth It is actually a mix of two songs together. I love "What A Wonderful World" and "What a Wonderful Life". Barry has taken all of these songs and made them sound new and fresh. I love this CD very much.

The Power of Tao: A Timeless Guide to Happiness and Harmony
The Power of Tao: A Timeless Guide to Happiness and Harmony
by Lou Marinoff
Price: $22.49
11 used & new from $18.45

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power Of Tao will help me achieve serenity in my life, November 8, 2014
I want to achieve serenity in all aspects of my life. This is the goal of practicing the Tao. I can eliminate envy from my life by expressing gratitude for the things I have. I can eliminate greed by simply reducing the things that I want, I should only focus on things I need. I can eliminate anger by simplifying my life Maybe I will try some meditation when I am angry. Envy, greed and anger are three toxins that prevent me from being at peace.

The other helpful concept in this book is the idea of the uncarved block approach. The uncarved block approach means finding the joy in an experience without having any preconceived idea of what that experience is like. I recently had my hours at work reduced. I am currently feeling sad and uncertain about my future with the company. By using the uncarved block approach, I can use this period of my life to explore new employment options for myself. I can hopefully eliminate the negative feelings that I am experiencing by doing this. I know that true serenity can only come from within myself. I am reminded of this because of this book. The information that Lou Marinoff resonates with me. I can use this advice to help me achieve inner peace.

We Are The Destroyers (We Are***Are We) (Volume 1)
We Are The Destroyers (We Are***Are We) (Volume 1)
by D K Lindler
Price: $15.17
15 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars There is a lot of truth in We Are The Destroyers., October 24, 2014
I never thought of over consumption of synthetic foods could be a problem, but I learned it can have serious consequences. The message of We Are The Destroyers is that eating an organic food diet will promote good health and longevity. In contrast, eating a synthetic diet promotes poor health. Eating synthetic food also leads to a shortened life span and a lack of energy. I have heard of this message before, but I have never seen this theme presented in a book like We Are The Destroyers. D.K. Lindler tries to convey that people can destroy their own bodies as well as the planet Earth. Leading a synthetic lifestyle could destroy all the plants and trees in the chemicals that people use. People who eat a synthetic diet could experience hair loss. People who eat synthetic food may also have decreased mental functioning and have no interest in sexual activity. The villain in this novel eats an organic diet. He enslaves everyone by making the general population eat a synthetic diet. I think that eating an organic diet is the proper thing to do, just by reading about the two different lifestyles in this book. Another theme in this book is that everyone is searching for their own individual life purpose. I see in my own life that my life purpose has never been set in stone. It changes all the time with the more I learn and the experiences I have. The themes of the novel are not as important as the characters in a book like this. There is a beautiful Asian character named Ry Sing. There is another character that is interesting He is an alien anthropologist named Dobeman. I have never read about an Asian female character or an alien anthropologist in a science fiction novel before. I admire the creativity of the author to come up with characters like this. I enjoyed every aspect about We Are The Destroyers.

Dust Tea, Dingoes and Dragons: Adventures in Culture, Cuisine and Commerce from a globe-trekking executive
by R.F. Hemphill
Price: $13.20
22 used & new from $7.94

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is entertaining and informative., October 11, 2014
I have never read a book quite like Dust tea Dingoes and dragons. The book is a collection of letters that Bob Hemphill writes to his father over a period of ten years from June 1991 to July 2001. There is no return correspondence from his father about his experiences in his letters. I would have liked to have read some response from his father just to read his reaction to his son's adventures. Bob Hemphill is a venture capitalist. He has travelled all over the world buying and maintaining power plants that provides energy to millions of people in over forty countries. I don't know anything about power plants. Bob is a hands on type of person. He has patched steam leaks. He has also fixed a part of the plant called the coal crusher and even fixed the fans inside the power plant. I admire anyone who is not afraid to get dirty on the job. I learned a new word from this book. It is the Japanese word called kaizen. The definition of this word is continuous improvement. I feel like I am continuously growing with each new experience that I have. Bob Hemphill is a similar type person. He is always learning from each new place he visits.

Just reading about the things that Bob has experienced in his travels is exciting. Hemphill has attended and watched a passion play in Germany for six hours. I don't know why it is called a passion play, but I am interested in finding out the origin of this. I have never seen a play that had 500 performers. I love to see a play with a cast of this size. This would be a fascinating play to watch. Bob has also played elephant polo and travelled on the back of a camel in India. These are two things that I would love to do. Reading these letters makes me feel like I have experienced these things alongside Bob.

I learned a little bit about geography in this book. I learned that the country of Georgia is close to Turkey and close to Russia. I also learned that Swaziland is in South Africa. These are two countries where Hemphill has maintained power plants. Hemphill has eaten fried scorpion and even consumed dust tea and watermelon in rural China. Dust tea is a real drink that tastes like mud. I don't know if I would drink this. It doesn't sound appealing, but I admire Bob's bravery. There is a dish called dhal that sounds interesting. This dish is lentil soup with rice. This sounds delicious to me. He has also eaten camel hoof in a soup. This does not sound appetizing to me at all.

Bob has played elephant polo and travelled on the back of a camel in India. These are two things that I would love to do. I learned a little bit about geography in this book. I learned that the country of Georgia is close to Turkey and close to Russia. I also learned that Swaziland is in South Africa. These are two countries where Hemphill has operated power plants. I learned that Singapore has an amusement park that features a dragon boat ride. I never even thought of Singapore as a hospitable country, so I learned something new. I absolutely love reading a book about places and things I haven't seen or done. This book is like that. It is truly entertaining and informative.

Vegollete Zucchini Pasta Maker Hulk, Spiral Vegetable Slicer
Vegollete Zucchini Pasta Maker Hulk, Spiral Vegetable Slicer
Offered by Flawless Products
Price: $39.95
2 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my spiral slicer hulk., October 5, 2014
I enjoy using this spiral splicer hulk very much. It takes a little longer get my vegetables the right size for salads and soups, but this slicer gives my hands a good work out. I don't have to use a cutting board to use this. I just put a bowl underneath me to catch what comes out. The only thing I would advise is to use fresh produce. If the vegetables are not fresh, what comes out is fairly messy and mushy. I first used this to cut a cucumber for my facial in the morning. I will use this product to make delicious pastas and vegetable sticks for parties. I think I could also use this to make French fries too. I love my Spiral Slicer Hulk.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20