Profile for scmom > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

scmom RSS Feed

CHASING SHADOWS: A GARY TROTTER THRILLER
CHASING SHADOWS: A GARY TROTTER THRILLER
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of twists and turns with some really funny humor. Great read!, May 23, 2015
Both my 11year old son and I read this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story is full of twists and turns,that are both funny and thrilling. Older readers will enjoy the espionage and spy aspects of the story while also enjoying the spirit of the guardians and the humor towards the young boy who is the main character. My daughter enjoyed the adventures and the situations Gary got into and how the guardians treated him. A great read, full of surprises, suitable for the young and old. Look forward to more from this author.

Scotch Durable Duct Tape, Brown, 1.88-Inch by 20-Yard
Scotch Durable Duct Tape, Brown, 1.88-Inch by 20-Yard
Price: $7.10
20 used & new from $3.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, October 2, 2012
I bought this to temporarily repair my leather couch. The color is a wee bit off, but works like a charm to keep it from ripping further.

Bling Jewelry .925 Sterling Silver Wedding Band Thumb Toe Ring 3mm
Bling Jewelry .925 Sterling Silver Wedding Band Thumb Toe Ring 3mm
Offered by Bling Jewelry
Price: $17.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Size, July 1, 2012
I ordered a 3 and received a ring that was big on my thumb. The ring itself is nice, good quality and very pretty. Frankly I would have just let it go but I'm getting so many emails to review this product, that it is annoying, hence, the low rating.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2012 1:52 PM PDT

The Rebel Wife: A Novel
The Rebel Wife: A Novel
by Taylor Polites
119 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars What a page turner!, March 28, 2012
Augusta Branson was born during the time of slavery in the south. Her family owned several slaves and she is accustomed to that lifestyle as well as society. Soon after the end of slavery she marries a Northener who was knows to help the newly freed slaves. This made her a pariah in her circles. She was largely unaware of this until her husband died.

Augusta grew up and married into an extreemley sheltered existence. She had little knowledge of what was going on around her with the slaves, war and politics until her husband came home suffering from blood fever and died shortly thereafter leaving her to pick up the pieces.

Her cousin, The Judge, intervenes on her behalf to help settle her estate. The more questions she asks about her husband's business and the more she looks into his dealings the more she begins to question who she can trust to look after her and her son, Henry. She begins to question society, racial separation and the steadfast politics and ideals that many in her small southern town are desperately clinging to.

I must say that at first, I really didn't like Augusta. She was cold, especially to her son, and didn't come across as I would assume a character that was genuinely looking racism, politics and southern society in the eye would. But, the more I read, the more I saw the subtleties the Polites pointed out. He did a wonderful job showing how truly sheltered from the world Augusta was and how firmly she held on to the sensibilities and societal workings she knew. She very gradually came out of herself to take a good look around her and see what was going on. Polites has the reader taking that journey with her, we aren't given any hints from other characters into what is truly going on with the estate, The Judge, the blood fever her husband dies of and of his business dealings. We slowly find out who Augusta can and cannot trust.

I liked the picture Polites painted of the small town. The unbearable heat during Augusta's struggles is practically a character in itself. At first people are just blaming illnesses and deaths on the heat, which isn't unheard of there. Then people start leaving town because of the blood fever.

I must say, this is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I'm not a southerner, but I do live in the south and this was such an unexpected pleasure into the societal history, racism and slavery. I was surprised when I turned to the dustjacket and found Taylor Polites is a man. The subtlities with which he describes this shelterd, somewhat spoiled woman are quite good. I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to another and am going to read it again myself.

The Endless Waltz
The Endless Waltz

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, February 28, 2012
This review is from: The Endless Waltz (Kindle Edition)
Bret de la Cosa wants nothing more than to get on his ship and return home to his beloved fiancee, Isabella. Upon boarding his ship ready to take his Navigator duties, his Captain tells him about his retirement and Bret's promotion to Captain. This will allow Bret to buy his wife a proper house once they are married. Bret's future couldn't look any better.

But, Davey is watching. Davey Jones hates Bret's happiness and his good soul, so he goes after him. Bret's ship goes down in the open seas and Bret somehow ends up in Davey Jones's locker alive. Once Davey finds out that Bret is still alive, he sends The Flying Dutchman down to retrieve and kill him.

That's just the beginning of the story.

Bret is a good man. He helps others, is devout to God and his fiancee. His crew thinks highly of him and works hard for him. All he wants to do when he is trapped in The Locker is get back to Isabella. He meets anther man, Edward, who helps in The Locker while Captain Falkenburg of The Flying Dutchman hunts him. His adventures include marines, misguided clergy, a ghost crew and dragon.

This book was a fun and fast paced read. Like many these days, I also love the current pirate movies out there. This book puts an entirely different spin on the current stories. Bret is no Captain Jack Sparrow, who can get out of any situation, but an ordinary man put in extraordinary circumstances. Schafer's writing style is smooth and very descriptive. He does a nice job of painting the scenery. He especially did a fantastic job of what The Locker would look like. I would like to see more about Captain Falkenberg's fate as The Flying Dutchman's Captain as well as some of the stories from Bret's leather bag at the end. You'll have to read the book to find out about the leather bag.

I understand this book is in pre publishing stage, but would like to see it edited for spelling and grammar. Without those issues, this book will be a phenomenal read.

I give this book 3.5 start out of 5.

Pool of Souls
Pool of Souls
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, February 10, 2012
This review is from: Pool of Souls (Kindle Edition)
Pool of Souls is a story of a fantasy world named Regalis where evil sorcerer, Queen Saranor is working her way across the land using magic, terror and brutality to gain control. Her erstwhile commander, General Viadon, had defected and is now battling against her to save the land.

Cazlina Narzin has left her sleepy village to chase after her brother, Gareth, who left to join General Viadon'c crusade against the queen. Along with Caz is her horse, Miris, with whom she can telepathically communicate.

During her travels, a horse thief attempts to steal Miris while Caz is sleeping. Caz chases him off but he has an annoying habit of showing up to rescue her from beasts and beastly men.

After Caz finds General Viadon and her brother, she is conscripted into the general's army to work by his side as a scout, using her telepathic abilities to help her. She encounters wonderous beasts, heroes, villans and finally the queen's army and pool of souls.

I enjoyed the book. One of the gratifying characteristic is Landmark's writing style. She has such a good command of the English language and it was a pleasure to read a book that flowed well and was eloquent. I also enjoyed the story. It is always nice to see a heroine instead of a hero.

I do wish more information was provided on the horse thief, Jorin since he plays a substantial role in the story. I also had a hard time believing a general of such a huge army would take Caz under his wing and make her part of his inner circle. Granted, much of it was due to her gift of aminal communication, but she used it sparingly and didn't use it at times it would have provided useful. The ending was a bit too nice for my tastes. I don't want to spoil it, so I won't go further, but I do wish it were a bit grittier.

The ending seemed to hint at a sequal. I would love to read it and, hopefully, learn more about Caz's gift and Jorin's past.

HoMedics HP-300 TheraP Moist/Dry Heating Pad, King Size
HoMedics HP-300 TheraP Moist/Dry Heating Pad, King Size

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for lower backs., April 1, 2007
I bought this for my lower back. I am pregnant now and my back keeps getting achy and goes out from time to time. It is great because it actually wraps all the way around to the back of my hips giving my entire lower back the heat without having to switch it from one side to the other.

However, the inner pad bunches up tremendously. I have used it for a few weeks now, and have to take the cover off to "open" the pad back up by stretching it out again. It hasn't gone back to the original shape. If I had known it would do this, I would have never purchased it.