Profile for reader > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

reader RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
What Comes Next and How to Like It: A Memoir
What Comes Next and How to Like It: A Memoir
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Abigail Thomas is a national treasure, March 24, 2015
Reading abigail Thomas spoils one for reading other less interesting and brilliant authors. Since I read Safekeeping I've worshipped the ground she walks on. With her new memoir she cements her place as one of our greatest living writers working in America today. This is a must have.

Writing Is My Drink: A Writer's Story of Finding Her Voice (and a Guide to How You Can Too)
by Theo Pauline Nestor
Price: $12.57
69 used & new from $1.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, funny, smart, instructive and most of all a terrific read., November 15, 2013
Charming, funny, smart, instructive and most of all a terrific read. Get it and begin that memoir that you have inside of you.

Is This Tomorrow: A Novel
Is This Tomorrow: A Novel
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, May 7, 2013
Caroline Leavitt has proven once again that she is a master storyteller with the soul of a poet. I recognized these characters at once as people I've known. My own single mother, the fifties, it's all wonderful fodder for this lyrical thriller . Highly recommended.

Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers
Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers
by James Carville
Price: $11.84
163 used & new from $1.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Another all-nighter. Lamott never disappoints., November 13, 2012
Stayed up all night reading this on my Kindle, as has become customary for all new Lamott books. Why? She makes me laugh. She gives me hope. And like Elizabeth Berg, Anne Tyler, Cheryl Strayed and other supreme female authors of America in our time, she always, always, rides the edge of truth to beauty. "Help, Thanks, Wow" is another classic Lamott, but this time she directly addresses the need for faith in these specifically bizarre and often disheartening times. Far from a sanctimonious tome, "Help, Thanks, Wow is indeed the Cliff notes for spirituality, as one rave review said, but it is skillful and spare prose that expands and fills the space in our hearts. Funny, elegant, shocking, poignant, she owns the distinct voice and sublime storytelling knack that is hers alone. There is only one Lamott. Thankfully, she is a disciplined worker bee and she publishes often enough so that by the time I've reread her last book twice, there is another one on the horizon. Thank you, Annie! xo SFL

I Couldn't Love You More
I Couldn't Love You More
by Jillian Medoff
Price: $10.74
220 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every star and stellar review...and then some. Couldn't love it more., June 26, 2012
There are some readers who feel that a character must be a paragon of virtue, a kind of Everyman (or Everywoman) saint without any messy, complex emotions to hamper their Goodness. Thank goodness Ms Medoff is not a writer who panders to these PC proclivities. Her characters are people one might happen to know, they exist in the real world and they carry in their arsenal the wit and candor that my own best friends possess. They love, they doubt, they bubble and seethe; they make mistakes. Her rendering of their dilemmas is nothing short of riveting and I found myself nodding along and even clapping my hands occasionally, in triumph of the truth. I don't know any saints, and were I to meet one I would likely not want to hear their story/sermon. Because it is by our faults, weaknesses and vulnerability that we instruct and soothe those around us. This is a wonderful, soul-enriching book, and I am so very glad that it was written. Looking forward to her next work with anticipation and celebrating her victory in this book with absolute glee.

This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.
by Augusten Burroughs
163 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Astute Advice At A Fraction of the price of Therapy, May 26, 2012
This Is How is exactly like Augusten Burroughs : real, raw, and smack in the face true. He gives the benefit of all his experience to the reader in a concise, unique way and it may not be everyone's cup of tea, because a lot of people want someone to hold their hand and tell them everything will be all right if they Only Believe. But that's not life, and that's not reality. Burroughs knows about reality, tough times, addiction, and he certainly knows about heartbreak and the ups and downs that life affords us. I found his advice to be perfectly modulated for an adult and not for the baby ears. He is funny, surprisingly tender at times, and always fresh and forthright. Amusing but also kind of....strict. And that's great when you are really ready to make a change, and not just get the usual pablum that is dished out in self help books. He does;t offer SEVEN WAYS TO NIRVANA or any ridiculous formulas or spiritual woo woo. He offers in self help what his memoirs offer in that genre. This is a great gift and a great help for anyone who is genuinely ready to take a second look at their life and make it better without the b.s.

The Long Journey Home: A Memoir
The Long Journey Home: A Memoir
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.84

1.0 out of 5 stars twaddle, January 4, 2012
I tried to get through the first chapter, but it's unreadable. This is kind of sad; she is clearly riding on the coattails of her sons' success and it's just twaddle.

Take Five: Four Favorite Essays Plus One Never-Been-Seen Essay
Take Five: Four Favorite Essays Plus One Never-Been-Seen Essay
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a Whitman Sampler on crack, September 7, 2011
Love Burroughs. Love this sampler of his work. Mint Threshold is probably one of the funniest story of the decade. Cannot say enough good things about this writer. There's a reason why millions of people love him. Check it out. And to the lonely one star people: It says right up front that it is a few short stories plus the debut of a new short story. There is no hokum and nothing to whine about. You spend more than this on a cup of coffee. And the coffee doesn't stay with you, or make you laugh out loud. So, yes to the new Burroughs sampler. Assuredly yes. Buy one for your friends...it will make a good greeting card, only lots longer. In fact, Hallmark charges more than this for a greeting card with a picture of a kitten.

Crush: 26 Real-Life Tales of First Love
Crush: 26 Real-Life Tales of First Love
Offered by Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
Price: $8.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, Love, Love., June 15, 2011
This is one of those anthologies you grab and go with, absorbing each new essay with a grin and sometimes a tear. Ann Hood, Jacquline Mitchard, and 24 other bestselling authors talk about their first crush and what it means to fall in love, often with shocking results. First rate fare for people who love, or once loved -- and want to love again.

The Astral: A Novel
The Astral: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate Christensen Can Do Anything With Language, June 14, 2011
I thought Kate Christensen had peaked when she won (deservedly) The Penn Faulkner Award for "The Great Man." Surely, I imagined, nothing she could do would top that novel, which is astonishingly rich, brilliantly original and a literary feast (As was "The Epicure's Lament", another terrific novel that surpassed my wildest expectations and made me know her a not just a wordsmith, but a first rate epicurean author.) But I was wrong. Five pages into "The Astral", I realized that Christensen is a writer who is just beginning to show her legs -- a thoroughbred who consistently produces literary gems, each more layered and masterful than the last. What strikes me most is her remarkable agility and the ease with which she appears to create whole worlds within her novels, worlds which are at once strange and familiar, known and shocking. Her characters are people one could swear they had passed on the street only yesterday, or the day before -- she lifts the veil on humanity and in doing so makes us recognize ourselves and lends compassion to strangers we will never, in fact, be as close to as she always, always gets. "The Astral" had me alternately gasping with laughter and verging on tears; Brooklyn has never been so vibrant, struggling marriages have never been so hilarious and poignant, and books just aren't the same when she hasn't lent her particular brand of magic to their pages. She ranks among not only our finest living female authors but among all authors of any gender writing today, Not since Updike have I seen a talent like this, a surety with plot and dialogue which makes me greedily turn pages and press the book to my chest when I have finished, waiting for the next triumph. Read "The Astral" and be in the state of literary-induced delight that only Kate Christensen can summon. I envy you the experience.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3