Profile for Just Honest > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 92

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Just Honest RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Silverhill Tools ATKTR4 Triangle Head Screwdriver Setwith Carry Pouch
Silverhill Tools ATKTR4 Triangle Head Screwdriver Setwith Carry Pouch
Price: $12.03
2 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Triangle Head (4pc Set) by Silverhill Tools, April 14, 2012
Bought this for some light use on various toys around the house. It's come in handy more than a few times, and I've had no issues with it. Ergonomics can be kind of a relative thing, but for me they feel natural and comfortable in my hand and the freely spinning heads(on handles) make it easy to use.
It says hardened steel tips and I haven't had to put it to the test yet with my few repairs though I do see very light signs of wear/warping around the small sharp edges.
With my light use I also can't say how well the metal shaft is attacked into the plastic handle or how long it'll last under heavier torque.
Stats:
Handles = ~3.5"(o/a length) typical plastic. ~5/8"x~6/8"(LxW) pivoting head. Textured grip visible in pictures.
Metal Shaft = 5/8"x1/8"(LxW) with impressed/engraved sizing by tip.
TA-18(Red) = .079"(~2mm)
TA-20(Blue) = .091"(>2mm)
TA-23(Grn) = .106"(~2.5mm)
TA-27(Orng) = .126" (~3mm)
I like the set, happy with the purchase especially since it was hard to find, and it's a fair price. Only time will tell if a little more torque and use will keep it's worth.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2013 10:06 AM PDT

Fotodiox Pro Soft Shutter Release Button for Leica Cameras (Silver)
Fotodiox Pro Soft Shutter Release Button for Leica Cameras (Silver)
Price: $14.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Soft Shutter Rls for Leica/X100, April 14, 2012
I bought this "Fotodiox Pro, Soft Shutter Release Button" for me Fuji X100. The ones available on Amazon specific for X100 get shoddy reviews so I took a shot.
Stats:
Diameter = 5/8" or 16mm
Height(above camera shutter release, when installed)= 3/16" or 5mm
Post Length = 2/8" or 6mm
Post Taper(threaded tip) = 3mm-1mm
Threading Length = 3mm
Weight(estimated) = a Quarter $.25(or slightly heavier)
Engraving color = Dusty Yellow to light beige.
Screws in easy and though it doesn't lock in or feel tight when installed, I never have an issue with it falling out or coming unscrewed. I am mindful of it though at all times. The "Leica" branding is parallel to the camera face when installed and camera is powered on. The color of the metal is a almost perfect, if not a perfect match to my X100 finish.
Not the best price, but I don't trust eBay and initially I was looking only for 'Fuji X100' related items. Also most vendors charge $4+ just for shipping. The actual shipping rate is 1oz USPS small envelope = $0.45 and the quality bubble mailer used for shipment runs about $0.45 and up as well. So this was the lesser of a few evils.
The engraving is nice detailed work though unnecessary in my case and the underside where the post is installed to the head has a deep scratch and some burns marks, which can be typical and I don't feel it compromises integrity or quality.
Basically I like the item, glad I have it, but the price and the shipping rate from Fotodiox are a bit inflated in my opinion. Adorama has one for $2.49, I feel like this item is worth more than twice as much, so $6-$8 would have been great, $10 probably acceptable, but I paid $13, so 3 stars.

Sensa Cloud Ballpoint Pens- Pack of 4 (2 Purple and 2 Black)
Sensa Cloud Ballpoint Pens- Pack of 4 (2 Purple and 2 Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sense Cloud 9 (4pk), April 13, 2012
I'm not a pen collector or aficionado so this review might not suit all. I was looking for some purple pens which looked nice not too gaudy and wrote in black ink. All four of these pens do write in black in. The same appearance of black ink you'd find in a disposable or free promotional pen. If you really scrutinize the ink when written you'll find it doesn't flow completely even. Thicker in some spots and thinner in others.
The pen is 5.5" long, 0.5" wide at the grip, with a 2" long clip. The turn/retraction mechanism is really easy and lightly clicks in place when pen is out, spring driven when retracted. Cloud 9 Med Blck 0405 Sens Refill. The rubber comfort padding feels like a gel, where it conforms/squishes easily to your fingers and then slowly returns to it's normal shape when released. It feels nice, but nothing extraordinary.
Basically it just feel like a typical plastic pen. Doesn't feel special, not especially weighted. The ink is very generic in performance. The black color pen is your basic black color and the purple is more of a mauve(like makeup/or brownish/dusty purple) dull.
Both pen colors schemes have a small speckled or 'metallic flake' appearance to them.
Though $12.99 is the cheapest price I've found for a 4pk by far, these pens really feel/look/write at the level of no more than $1 each. Hope this helps.

Fruit Of The Loom Big Girls'  Girls' 8 Pack Cotton Boyshort, Assorted, 4
Fruit Of The Loom Big Girls' Girls' 8 Pack Cotton Boyshort, Assorted, 4
Price: $5.99
3 used & new from $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars FTL Girls 8pk Boyshort, March 23, 2012
These are definitely less Vic' Secret than some of the other boyshorts out there. They are a better coverage for little girls being little girls, not trying to wear inappropriate lingerie.
They are a lower rise, I'd say just under the small of the back but still giving full coverage so they'll hide in jeans/shorts nicely. I'm not a big fan of the styles but my daughter loved them so that's what's important. Also given the market price, and these bing an 8pk, it's a pretty nice value.
I also bought these for the issue of 'riding up' and half of the time they do the trick. My daughter appreciates it, but the fact is, they do still ride when she is dancing or just more active, so it's not the end all. The material is very thin, I'd say like a worn out undershirt, so the longevity probably isn't there depending on activity level. We bought a size 4 boyshort for a girl who wears 5T bottoms normally. So far they've been through the wash a few times since the day they arrived and no issues yet, but she is choosing to wear this style less and less.
In the end it's a nice product, a good value with the thinner fabric as a trade off, and it'll cut down on the 'riding up' for most or maybe less rambunctious little ones. My little one ended up preferring boys boxer briefs, they never ever ride up, but they are a higher rise in the waist. Food for thought.

Mini Malz Tiny Animal Figures - Lot of 20
Mini Malz Tiny Animal Figures - Lot of 20
Offered by Collectibles N Stuff
Price: $2.31
3 used & new from $2.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Mini Malz, March 23, 2012
20 of these at about $.25 a pop would leave you with $5 so anything under that price should seem about fair right?
The problem for all of these vending machine toys from any vendor is that they weight about 3oz(mine was)and that rate from the USPS First Class(shipping method)was only $1.30 at their high end of the spectrum, so this vendor(Vending Toy Pride)charging $3.55 is a crock. none of that was considered in the stars though.
I rated the product 4 stars because they were slightly cheaper than a vending machine price, but vending machine or otherwise it's still product you pay and the paint job(detail work) on most of them was pretty shoddy. Either only half painted, half on the location intended, or half worn off already. I know it might seem petty for a vending machine toy, but if you bought trash bags and they stunk already when you went to use them would you consider that acceptable? So 4 stars instead of 5, no biggie.
That said, they are a semi-rigid plastic toy with a shiny finish in an assortment of colors and animals randomly packed and shipped as such. There is a sort of cup or cavity on the underside of these which seems like you could place them on the tip of typical pencil erasers though mine were slightly too big and just fell off of the pencil. A little tape around the eraser would fix that if you're interested. My children under 3yr did enjoy playing with them as they would with anything tiny. They seem to be non-marking , at least through my kids abuse. I wasn't familiar with Mini Malz at all prior to this purchase so if it's something collectible or of the moment I'm sure they'll be received even better.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2013 11:30 PM PDT

Sharpie 30008 Fine Point Permanent Marker, Purple, 12-Pack
Sharpie 30008 Fine Point Permanent Marker, Purple, 12-Pack
Price: $7.15
49 used & new from $2.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Purple Fine Tip Sharpie, March 23, 2012
Not much to say. It's a fine tip permanent marker, it's Sharpie and if you've used one you know what to expect. If you haven't, you probably have never used a permanent marker. I believe it writes with about a 1mm swath, but I haven't measured because it was exactly what I expected/needed.
You do pay more just because it's Purple and that's ridiculous but considering some of the shady vendors on Amazon nowadays this far less markup than you'd expect and it's Prime shipping so that should off-set the price nicely for you. The color ink is almost exactly the same shade as the tip or cap in the photo. I'd say your basic medium shade of purple, not really bright or pastel and not dark or deep by any means.

13" Spiral Ornament Display Stand - Black,large
13" Spiral Ornament Display Stand - Black,large
Offered by BIGFLYSPORTS
Price: $6.80
10 used & new from $5.50

4.0 out of 5 stars 13" Ornament Stand, March 23, 2012
I paid $13 for this just last week so that's the 4 stars. Honestly for just a bent wire stand we all know it should be able $2 but you'll almost always find it at this market price of $7-8 so I'll leave that alone.
It feels fairly resilient, pliable but I didn't test it's limits so I can't verify max weight capacity. I ordered the matte black finish and it's an even coat and hasn't chipped yet with some light abuse and ornament changes. My particular item was 12 3/4" tall and 10 3/4" hanging height, but you expect some slight deviation with bent/manipulated items.The base is 6"x5" and is represented very well by the product photo.Since the stand itself is very light weight I would expect that it'll display nicely as long as the distance from the hang coil to the ornament isn't too great and the ornament isn't allowed to swing freely(kids playing with it)
Not much else to say, basic bent wire/rod at a basic but unimpressive price.

Tobbles
Tobbles
Offered by Bargain The People
Price: $28.94
37 used & new from $18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Topples Balancing Toy, March 23, 2012
This review is from: Tobbles (Toy)
Not really a big fan if this toy. I know I lot of the reviews state that the adults play with it half of the time so I'm sure that assist in the rating. I will say off the bat though that my kids (3yr & 18mo)do love playing with it for a good few minutes at a time but mostly as a colorful ball toy.
It stands about 12" high when stacked/assembled. The balls range in diameter from about 2", 2 1/4", 2 1/2", 3", 3 1/2", 3 3/4" with the 4" base. Again those measurements are really rough, but it's just for a general idea. I'd say that they are weighted in the bottom center of the balls base, but not magnetic from what i can tell. Just given the shape when tucked into each other and the small weight might give that impression though. The balls are assembled with the top half(cup) and lower half(ball). The top half has a very slightly rubberized coating all except for the smallest ball.They are light weight balls but you can feel the presence of the balance weight. I know because they are a ball shaped toy most kids might be inclined to toss them around accordingly and for that I wouldn't rate them durable. My kids haven't tested that limit yet, but I'm sure it's a matter of time until it goes Humpty Dumpty right into the wall.
They state that you "can stack, spin balance, open ended play". Honestly from practical play at the young toddler age, they can stack it directly on top of one another very still and it will stay piled, that's about it. I played with it myself initially to check the limitations/range of stacking play and really the second product picture is about the most staggered you can make it before it topples all over the place. You can roll it, because it's a ball shape, and yes like a ball you can spin it too, imagine that, a 'free extra feature' ;) I've tried to stack these outside of the base with no luck, of course, and I've tried to stack them inverted(cup side down, one on top of another) with no luck there either. Again if I approach it as meticulous as one would while disarming a bomb then I can get a couple different configurations out of it, but my kids with more of the 'pull the pin and launch' grenade style leave little else for this toy to do but to stack it straight up.
It's colorful, it's a nice idea and the weight is a nice touch. If that weight was in fact also slightly magnetic, this might be worlds more fun with far more range of play. Being that it's not easily stable or all that durable(for 'ball' type abuse)and really nothing more than a plastic stacking toy, I think it's overpriced. I would have paid $12 for this at Imaginarium or a store like that. My kids do love it though for the few minutes at a time that they play with it so, I concede to their authority, and don't pretend to understand why.

Imperial Toy Little Tikes Octopus Party Machine, Light Blue/Purple
Imperial Toy Little Tikes Octopus Party Machine, Light Blue/Purple
Offered by TheNewMall
Price: $21.53
11 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Tikes Octopus Bubble Machine $12.99, March 16, 2012
First, I just wanted to say that this is $12.99 at ToysRus(3/16/12). I think I bought mine at Target, but they don't sell it anymore, though I'm sure it was about the same price, NOT $30-$40, ridiculous.
I've had this for a little over a year using it outside and inside and it's a great machine. I've had no real issues with it ever pumping out bubbles unless I tried to skimp and use a weak bubble solution, then they'll pop right out of the wand. It is a pretty loud machine though, for the most part all bubble machines are loud, but this ones loudness stood out to me a little more. That batteries have lasted me a week a time of frequent but not heavy use(~10mins/3xs/day). One thing I realize is that you can run low on bubbles fairly quick, not from the reservoir being empty but from the level being too low to submerge the wands. There is no real mess-free way to pour out the bubble solution when you're done using the machine and when you leave the solution in the reservoir it'll gum up a little. You can easily just add a bit of water and maybe some dish-soap, or more solution and you're back in business. The octopus had a bobble head which is a neat little aesthetic. It pumps out a decent volume of bubbles and I've never had any popped bubbles except again inferior solution.
One downside for me is the on/off switch. It's a little firm and holding onto the tapered base while it's on and trying to turn it off can be a challenge if you don't want to spill, or if you're already wet with solution.
That's about it though. I've had it for a year with no real care paid, keeping it indoors and outdoors overnight and it's still going strong. For the real price of $12.99 it's better than others I've bought and my kids still love it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2012 1:39 PM PDT

Child Craft Logan Lifetime Convertible Crib, Jamocha
Child Craft Logan Lifetime Convertible Crib, Jamocha
Price: $241.37
9 used & new from $219.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Child Craft, Logan Crib (Jamocha), March 13, 2012
I will say that this crib was listed as $219 and went up to $235 by the time I got it into my cart so hopefully it won't go up anymore in price. It is Prime shipping now though so that's something.
I have 3 cribs, 2 of which are DaVinci brand because of the price point. I will say that the basic materials and 'feel' of this crib are the same as DaVinci and probably any great set in the same price range.
What was different and significant to me about the Child Craft vs DaVinci is that, the parts/hardware pack had been opened and taped back together, and one of the wood legs had an extra hole drilled in it. What that translates to really is that someone went through and inventoried the parts to make sure I had everything, and also that initially a hole was mis-drilled and corrected before shipment. That may seem like a downside for some, and aesthetically it's not ideal, but for me, it added up to a seamless and worry-free assembly and the extra hole isn't visible or an impairment at all.
Some of the detailed aspects of this piece also made it stand out above the market equivalent. The ledges along the top of the crib are all a nice touch as well as the front facade/paneling which aren't typical for this price point. Because of the many configurations crib/toddler bed/full size bed there are extra holes left open/unused after each construction and they allowed extra hardware to cover and fill those holes to make it less unsightly and complete the look. There is also a little metal placard that is placed on the front bottom panel with the Child Craft brand/logo which isn't on this photo. Also a toddler conversion rail is included with this set. That means you get a straight rail to convert the crib to a toddler bed all by itself, but it'll be an open-sided toddler bed and any guard rails need to be purchased separately.
One important thing to note is the two level/height adjustments for the mattress. One sits probably just where the front paneling is, and the other is mid-way where you see it in the photo. The pre-sets are just holes drilled into the wood though reinforced by the hardware, so if need be you could technically drill your own height holes wherever you want it. Recently I've read a lot of reviews where the mattress sits on a plywood sheet or something to that effect. This crib has the typical metal spring frame which most reputable cribs have.
The wood/material that makes up this crib has the same durability as others in this class. It's soft wood easily dented and pretty light weight covered by a 'non-toxic finish'. If you are shopping this price-point chances are you won't be crying about the lack of a warning sticker that says "This Crib is a known carcinogen when tossed into a wood chipper and inhaled in California".
The color is 'Jamocha' which equates to Espresso in other brands.
I think it's a great crib at a great median price and a beautiful design which I am happy with, though a lower price is always welcome.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10