Profile for Star Child > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Star Child RSS Feed (Somewhere Over the Rainbow)

Page: 1 | 2
The Selection
The Selection
by Kiera Cass
Price: $5.94
104 used & new from $4.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Why should I select?, August 8, 2013
This review is from: The Selection (Paperback)
I should tell you this might contain spoilers. Honestly it is a love story and as we all know love stories tend to have particular aspects to them, so you can figure it out pretty easily. However, love stories are not about will they or won't they, but the journey to get to the end. That being said, you have been warned that there maybe mild spoilers.

So many popular "teen" novels lately have been centered around the love triangle. Twilight and Hunger Games come swiftly to mind. I will say that these aren't successful love triangles. Come on, Jacob never had a chance compared to Edward (I am team Switzerland!) and there was not enough character development to make Gale a contender. (I had to look up his name, that says something!) This however, is an excellent love triangle! You have the first relationship that ends and then the second begins. There is this wonderful opportunity to know both pairings and then at the end they get smooshed together. That is your cliff hanger! This book is all about relationships, what makes them viable, and whether or not one kind is better than another. Honestly this really reminds me King Arthur, Guinevere, and Lancelot. Not the Richard Geer movie, but the timeless tale. Even has the royal aspect.

Okay, now that I have gone on about the plot, what about the writer. She is very skilled. It was an easy read but not tedious. She is funny and really takes a look at the human heart and its. . . complexity.

Really, give this a try. It doesn't have the action of Hunger Games, which others have compared it to, but it does have a strong central character. America knows who she is and her values and is not afraid to stand up for them. It is nice to see a truly strong female character.

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
Price: $6.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Somethings you read just make you happy, July 1, 2013
I have to admit I am a sucker for a fairytale. My mother read them to me as a child and they filled me with wonder and fueled my imagination. That feeling hasn't diminished and in all honesty I hope it never will. Now that you know that little tid-bit about me, my review should be taken with a grain of salt. If you are not a fairy tale fan I can't say how you will feel about it. I can tell you I read this in three days. I didn't want to leave the world Jessica Day George created. I went into it reading somewhere that it was a retelling of the Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen! It is not that, but a lesser known fairy tale. I would tell you which, but I don't want to spoil it. Ms. George did an excellent job make the characters seem real and the situation fantastical, but relate-able. I loved the descriptions and the mystery involved. This really is a lovely story that you should pick up and enjoy soon.

The Actor and the Housewife
The Actor and the Housewife
Price: $7.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful reprieve, December 30, 2012
I started reading this book because I bought it a while ago on my Kindle and while on vacation had no clue what to read after a heavy zombie novel (I have eclectic taste. . .). The problem in reviewing this book is if you tell too much of the plot you give everything away and I WILL NOT write spoilers. So let me say this, it was a beautiful reprieve from heavy story lines. It was simple and never tried to be more than a look at a relationship that seemed impossible from the moment of hello. This book made me laugh and cry and hope and expand my understanding of relationships. Yes, like I said, it is a simple book, but that doesn't negate the enjoyment and beauty within its pages.

When Water Burns (The Telesa Series Book 3)
When Water Burns (The Telesa Series Book 3)
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Ummm. . ., August 18, 2012
This is the second book in the trilogy and I was hoping it would better written then the first. In the beginning it was. A lot of the grammatical errors I found in the first weren't there and the author's voice seemed to grow up a bit. Then about midway it slowly started going down hill and by 3/4 of the way it was worse. She tried to change narrative style unsuccessfully. Most of the book is from Lelia's perspective and when someone else's story was being told the author would go to third person. At the beginning of the book, it was successful due to it being short bursts and very well transitioned to and from. However in the climax it jarringly switched to third person and back and forth then between limited third persona and omniscient. The end felt like the author was done with trying to figure out the best way to end it and just wanted to stop writing, as if she no longer completely cared for her characters. Lelia also became more aggravating. In the previous novel she seemed angry, but strong. In this novel she seemed weak and selfish. Due to my curiosity and hope for a better novel, I will probably read the third book when it is released. I am curious about the mythology and did find a little bit of info about the real legends, but was basically told to talk to my elders. That doesn't really work for me as I am not a Pacific Islander, but American with a European ancestry. I really would like to know more about this fascinating culture, so any more information would be appreciated.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 4:43 PM PST

Telesa - The Covenant Keeper (The Telesa Series Book 1)
Telesa - The Covenant Keeper (The Telesa Series Book 1)
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars My opinon, August 18, 2012
I don't know how much my opinion matters, but here goes. I read this book (and the second one) when I saw the cover on a friend's facebook page. She really liked it, so I looked it up and thought the storyline sounded interesting and it was. I was really intrigued by the concept and the mythology. I would really like to know more about Pacific Islander mythology. I even tried doing a Google search on Telesa and all I came up with was references to this book and some hints of there being some actual Telesa mythology. The concept of this book is what earned two of its stars. The problem with this book is the writing and character development. The author's style is juvenile, at best. Her character development did not seem consistent and her obsession with the male physique was tiresome. Information was given about the main character in first part of the book that seemed contrary to information given later in the book. Reading and finishing this book was not about an affection or commonality with the characters, but more a hope of its improvement and curiosity about what will happen to them. I honestly can't recommend this book, but I also don' regret reading it. After all, I did read the second one.

Sweet Confections: Beautiful Candy to Make at Home
Sweet Confections: Beautiful Candy to Make at Home
by Nina Wanat
Price: $14.46
71 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Divinely Delectable, October 19, 2011
I won this book in a contest and was very excited to see it waiting for me today. I immediately opened my package and devoured (pun intended?) it. I took a confectionery class in college and reading her tips and instructions brought so many things back. It is easy to understand and instructions are clear and precise. The recipes are amazing. Some things I have done before like marshmallows and caramel. Plus the Fudge recipes are the traditional Old Fashioned Fudge which is harder to find. Most people opt for the easier recipes that use white chocolate chips or marshmallows. While Old Fashioned Fudge is more temperamental, when it is done right it achieves a smoothness and flavor profile that is above its more common cousin. Consequently seeing those recipes added, in my opinion, to the validity and taste of the author, Nina Wanat. I honestly think anyone, with a little patience, could pick this book up and be successful. One of the nice things about this book is it is organized with easier recipe categories first. It starts with your hard crack lollipops and progresses into the more difficult fudge or truffle. The illustrations are both beautiful and informative. It really is a must have for the novice and seasoned candy maker.

Fade (Wake Series, Book 2)
Fade (Wake Series, Book 2)
by Lisa McMann
Price: $13.86
230 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A new teen novel that won't soon "Fade", February 18, 2009
Please be aware there is a lot of swearing, although if you have read the first one (which I suggest you do if you haven't) you have a good idea of what you are getting into. There are also much more mature themes in this, so if you are a parent looking into this book for a child I suggest you read it first.

Now the actual book. . . I liked this one much better than the first in the series. The author seems to be more aware of her voice. She has a minimalist style similar to Ernest Hemingway, but Lisa McMann does use more description. She tends to use a single great adjective rather than a sentence of them. It takes a bit getting used to, but very affective. The plot is still easy to figure the end of. It is not a mystery novel, at least in my opinion. However, the interesting characters make up for it. Janie is getting more depth, as is Cabel (although he has a long way to go). I would suggest not to go into the this book hoping to be blindsided by plot twists and turns, but to want to be intrigued by a unique twist on the supernatural.

The Crow New Songs for the 5-String Banjo (Amazon.com Exclusive)
The Crow New Songs for the 5-String Banjo (Amazon.com Exclusive)

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprise!, January 31, 2009
I have to say, as many have already, that you will be surprised by what you hear. Everyone knows who Steve Martin and I actually knew that he could play the banjo, but I didn't know he was this good! The songs are amazing and you can't help but smile as you listen. Many wonderful singers have joined him on this album and it adds a testament to his talent. I personally am not a big country fan, but this breaks genres and is just fun happy music. Next I want to see him play!

Perfume - The Story Of A Murderer
Perfume - The Story Of A Murderer
DVD ~ Ben Whishaw
Offered by The Squirrel with the Dragon Tattoo
Price: $48.50
52 used & new from $5.91

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is Wow!, August 12, 2008
Personally, my five stars apply to all but the last half hour of the movie. That time was brilliant! The story was different and fascinating. The use of a narrator was wonderful and enhanced the movie (Whereas a lot of narrated movies flop in my opinion because they don't know how to use a narrator, especially an omnipotent one}. Visually the movie is simply stunning. They take an abstract and fanciful story and put it in a visually realistic movie, which makes it simultaneously more believable and fanciful. Now the ending had two problems for me. I am not a huge fan of nudity in movies, but up until the end the nudity was tastefully done and in context did not offend me. However toward the end was a mass orgy where I found the context of the nudity unnecessary for furthering the plot. You can understand perfectly well what is going on without the nudity or even the mass orgy. My second issue was that the ending pushed the fanciful aspect of the movie into an area where I had a hard time suspending my disbelief in order to continue enjoying the movie. But, the time preceding the last half hour was so brilliant it made up for the ending.

Being John Malkovich - Special Edition
Being John Malkovich - Special Edition
DVD ~ John Cusack
Price: $9.96
80 used & new from $1.47

2.0 out of 5 stars Huh? Was that necessary. . .?, August 12, 2008
I enjoy "deep" movies, but sometimes "deep" movies appear deep without truly being deep. This is one of those movies. It was at times thought provoking, but the so called twists and paradoxes, to me, had no deeper meaning other that to have them so people who professed to understand them could feel more intelligent than the rest of the population who did not. Maybe it is sour grapes, but to me if they had cut out some of the "deeper" idioms the movie would have sustained the true depth and thought provoking ideals it was looking for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2009 3:52 PM PDT