Profile for Louann Carroll > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 194

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Louann Carroll RSS Feed (Grass Valley, CA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SoulFire
SoulFire
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I love the way Lillie J, July 9, 2014
This review is from: SoulFire (Kindle Edition)
First off, I love the way Lillie J. Robert's can yank you into a story that you hate to put down. Soulfire is a read-it-at-one-time kinda book. So, forget the housework, the laundry, the kids, and yeah yeah yeah, I know it's YA but trust me, this is a book anyone can read. There's romance, murder, mayhem, and the paranormal. What else could one want? The only reason I gave it four stars is more of an editing issue than anything else. The story line is terrific. I would also add that Robert's world-building is great and the characters are fleshed out enough so you can leave reality behind and delve into a supernatural world full of well, creepiness.

If you're not into young adult or even new adult, surely there is a teenager in your life somewhere who can enjoy a cool romp through the angst of teenage-hood and a love that spans time.

Dissected
Dissected
by Megan Bostic
Price: $8.99
12 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gutsy and hard-hitting. Well worth your time and money., June 11, 2014
This review is from: Dissected (Paperback)
I saw that Megan Bostic was doing a blog tour which got me to wondering about her latest novel, Dissected. First off, I was curious about the content, but one look at the cover and you get it. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read about a young woman cutting herself, but I know it happens. It is far more common than most of us want to believe.

While not a comfortable subject, I decided to download the book and enter into its world carefully, readying myself to duck out if the occasion demanded. I didn’t. Instead, I was caught up into Sydney Warner’s world where she cuts herself and hides the evidence underneath clothing. She does this to cope with the loss of her mother, the angst of teenage-hood, and the loneliness a child in emotional distress goes through such as betrayal and heartache. Her father doesn’t know what she is doing and neither do her teachers, but someone had better find out about Syd’s way of coping or it might be too late.

Ms. Bostic handles the hard stuff like a pro. The story is believable and a must read for the wounded among us. The plot and the pacing are excellent, and you will get a feel for Syd that goes far beyond just understanding. Yes, Dissected is a difficult emotional read, but one told well. I thank Ms. Bostic for having the courage to write about ‘cutting’ with such compassion and understanding.

Dissected is well worth the money and the read.

DII 100-percent Polyester, Damask, Machine Washable Tablecloth Wine 52 x 70"
DII 100-percent Polyester, Damask, Machine Washable Tablecloth Wine 52 x 70"
Price: $14.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, June 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't know how much this costs, but I have to say, I just love it. It is thin, but fully washable and the color is bright and doesn't fade. If you have a ton of kids or grandkids stopping in for visits, this is a really nice tablecloth you can get dirty, throw in the wash without it taking up the entire tub, and toss it back on the table wrinkle free.

The Summer of Letting Go
The Summer of Letting Go
by Gae Polisner
Price: $12.08
78 used & new from $1.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Price--Emotionally and Financially, May 12, 2014
Fifteen year-old Frankie lives her life overwhelmed with guilt regarding the death of her brother, Simon. She was babysitting when he was swept out to sea and the grief the family encounters does not help Frankie deal with her own emotional issues.

At a swimming pool, a now fifteen year-old withdrawn Frankie meets a little boy who was born on the same day her brother died. She ponders whether or not this could be her Simon reincarnated, as the correlations between the two are strange enough to tweak her interest. Once again she is asked to baby-sit bringing up all her unresolved issues.

The ending is one you expect. Frankie comes to terms with her life which is, after all, what the book is about. Side tracks into her love life, like the crush she has on her BFF boyfriend, add additional teenage angst and drama.

Facing such difficulties at such a young age can be overwhelming, yet Polisner handles the drama with competent hands. I lost my father when I was five and I know the sorrow and guilt that follows even when it's not your fault. In The Summer of Letting Go, I laughed and cried, reveling in Frankie's life journey so expertly handle by Ms. Polisner. The novel is well worth the price both emotionally and financially.

Kudos to Gae Polisner for a work well done.

Lucky's Charm
Lucky's Charm
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth Your Time and Money, May 9, 2014
This review is from: Lucky's Charm (Kindle Edition)
Meet Lucky, a professional assassin who has taken over her father's business. Hired by The Network, Lucky, or on occasion, Felicia Fascino, joins a group of ex-military to take out those she deems not worthy to survive. Her goal is to find the person who betrayed her father and murdered her mother, until she meets up with another member of the The Network who brings up feelings in her better left alone. All she really wants is a nice normal life, but her path is not cut that way.

A romantic suspense, Lucky's Charm will keep you on your toes and turning pages until the end of the book. Jenn Nixon shocked and surprised me with her ability to keep me entertained and her ability to make me see beyond Lucky's career and into a woman as rich and complex as humanity itself. Lucky's Charm is well worth the time and the money and makes for a TERRIFIC afternoon read.

The Night Before Christmas
The Night Before Christmas
by Clement Clarke Moore
Price: $13.02
83 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Beautiful, April 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Brilliantly illustrated, The Night Before Christmas will make you wish for Christmas in April. This charming book, safely tucked away until December 2014, will be a hard book to put down. I imagine myself sitting at the base of the Christmas tree with my grandkids around me, sipping chocolate and munching on cookies. I will regal them with the magical tale of reindeer on the roof and Santa coming down the chimney. It will be a perfect moment and if it doesn't happen that way in December 2014, this beautiful hardbound book will be with me for many a year.

Certainly worth every penny if entertaining kids is your goal.

Vlad Tepes,  The Vigilante Vampire
Vlad Tepes, The Vigilante Vampire
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fast-moving, Sensual Read, April 1, 2014
Turned into a vampire by Vanic Tepes, Vlad exits the world of the living where he will soon be consumed by the black death, into a dark vampiric world. Vanic teaches Vlad how to feed and from whom to feed, when he is confronted by a young wife being beaten by a far older husband, intent on taking her life.

Feeling the first stirrings of morality, Vlad comes to her rescue, righting the wrongs done to her by the man who bought her from her parents with a promise to keep them fed. Vlad sends the girl back to her parents and both Vlad and Vanic see that the family will never be in need again.

Eventually, Vlad is tasked with being the muscle to Vanic when they are called before the Vampire Council in Chicago. There, Vald is confronted with finding a rogue vampire and it is where he falls in love with the beautiful, Sheree.

Vigilante Vampire is a fast-moving, sensual who-done-it romance that will make you blush with pleasure. Author, Lilly J. Roberts, has written a wake-up, in-your-face, vampire novel that will knock your socks off. Violent and dark, yet sensual and romantic, Vigilante Vampire will keep you entertained for hours

Toilet Paper Flowers: A Story for Children about Crohn's Disease
Toilet Paper Flowers: A Story for Children about Crohn's Disease
by Frank J. Sileo
Price: $12.46
41 used & new from $7.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Flowers from the Bathroom, March 26, 2014
Toilet Paper Flowers isn't perfect, but then having Crohn's is a deeply personal disease that is difficult to share with others. I know because I live with Crohn's disease. It is an unwelcome visitor in my life, but one I must live with.

So, how does one child explain her disease to another?

Perhaps the story is a bit stilted, but a child with Crohn's is very informed of their disease and passing this information off to a friend can be difficult. The segway into the conversation is why one child has one snack and the other child has something different. I can so relate. Many is the time I have to eat something very different from the people around me and it is a great way to introduce the subject. So, if the conversations between the kids is a bit stilted, well, so be it.

The introduction is superb as is the ending and while the pictures are sweet they are not very well done. However, making toilet paper flowers in the bathroom is a unique idea, one I will try the next time I am stuck in the bathroom.

This is a good book for kids and parents. A unique idea was used to pull the story together and I, for one, appreciate it.

The Accident
The Accident
by Chris Pavone
Price: $15.56
149 used & new from $1.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced and Thrilling, March 12, 2014
This review is from: The Accident (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The only reason I didn't give the novel a five star review is because the first few chapters were hard to get into. But I promise you, once you get into the rhythm of The Accident you won't put it down.

Literary agent Isabel Reed receives an anonymous manuscript that speaks of secrets revolving around a powerful media empire, the government, and of course,Isabel herself. Just having it in her possession frightens her, but it could be a career maker for her and the people around her. If, in fact, they can all stay alive. Enter a mysterious CIA agent who will do anything to keep the novel from being published.

At its essence, The Accident is about redemption and betrayal. The characters are well-written and the story flows smoothly with just a few exceptions. The Accident takes place in one 24-hour interval which the author navigates quite well. Impressively, in fact.

If you like thrillers, The Accident will keep you on your toes.

Influx
Influx
by Daniel Suarez
Price: $20.50
84 used & new from $5.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Your Money and Your Time, February 18, 2014
This review is from: Influx (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Perhaps technology is more advanced than we think.

Jon Grady, particle physicist, invents antigravity where you fall up instead of down. Deemed detrimental to humanity by the BTC, Grady's murder by a quasi-religionist named Cotton, is staged while the real John Grady is relocated to the BTC in the hopes that his unusual way of thinking will add to their ranks. Grady balks and is sent to prison where they use Artifical Intelligence to torture reluctant souls into giving up their secrets or discover their mind bled dry while the BTC uses the information to create Artificial Intelligence minus free will. The BTC has operated for years without governmental oversight, until at last, they attempt to rein the rogue agency in.

Influx by Daniel Suarez, is filled with technological insight and future foresight, making the thriller a top notch read. The only problem I had,was that the BTC was run by just a few individuals that were not, in my opinion, very bright. I had a hard time believing their abilities alone kept the BTC from being discovered. Still, the novel is well worth your time and your money if you enjoy reading futuristic novels.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20