Profile for Louann Carroll > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 235

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Louann Carroll RSS Feed (Grass Valley, CA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Accidental Saints: Finding God in All the Wrong People
Accidental Saints: Finding God in All the Wrong People
by Nadia Bolz-Weber
Price: $11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Bolz-Weber is as real as it gets, July 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I chose the Accidental Saints by Nadia Bolz-Weber because I found the title intriquing. What I didn't expect was a foul mouthed, tattooed ex-comic paster that tells it like it is. At first, not knowing who Bolz-Weber was, I found Accidental Saints off-putting, but it didn't take much time to discover the author's humor, outlook, and just plain normalcy. My favorite chapter is Panic Attack in Jericho. I can so identify with her fear of mountain roads. Here she is, in the holy land, in recovery, and wanting a Valium so bad to take away her fear of driving off mountain cliffs. This is someone I can relate to.

I am so impressed with this author. She puts herself out there for all to see, just as she is, frank and accessible. Don't get me wrong. She knows her Bible which, coming from her background, is amazing. The dedication to her new life is a wonder to behold. People flock around her because she is real. Take the book as it is, don't look for your normal religious experience. Nadia takes it to a whole new leve.

Phantom Aquatics Impulse 1500 LED Aluminum Dive Light
Phantom Aquatics Impulse 1500 LED Aluminum Dive Light
Price: $179.97
3 used & new from $120.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This flashlight will not disappoint, July 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Phantom Aquatics Impulse is powerful and easy to carry, rugged and built for the outdoors. This flashlight will not disappoint. The casing is rubberized and leak proof, but watch the O rings. The Phantom comes with extra O rings for a reason.The light is powerful and has strobe. Different intensities are easy to access by pressing a switch on the casing. Be careful in salt water because it can corrode. Rinse after use if possible. Battery life is awesome and the Phantom comes with rechargable batteries.

The flashlight not only lights up the water, it will light up the neighborhood as well.

Dragon Tears
Dragon Tears

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Captivating Read, June 30, 2015
This review is from: Dragon Tears (Kindle Edition)
A boy devoid of magic and a dragon who cannot fly. Two outcasts join up to cross a magical country full of singing mountains, earth dragons and wizards to find the dragon king and save the world. Filled with danger, excitement, and fun, our two heros face numerous obstacles before an ending that is just a touch dissatisfying. (Leaving me thinking another book is in the offing?)

I don't normally read middle-school books, but the cover of this one was so beautiful and intriguing that I just had to have a go. I was not disappointed. The writing is good, the plot clear if a little too fast for me, but might be perfect for young ones, and it was quite a captivating fantasy. I loved the battle between good and evil and the descriptions of all the various lands they had to cross was spot on. This really is a great story.

I just wasn't sure about the age of the reader. I have a middle school grandson who would find this childish and my grammar school grandson might not be up to the task. I can't think of an age harder to write for than middle school, however the novel is good, fast, and solid. If your child is into fantasy, dragons, and magic, this is a good pick for them.

I received a complimentary copy of the e-book in exchange for an honest review.

Jergens Wet Skin Moisturizer, Coconut Oil, 10 Ounce
Jergens Wet Skin Moisturizer, Coconut Oil, 10 Ounce
Price: $6.84

5.0 out of 5 stars I am hooked., June 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Not only does the lotion smell GREAT it works. Keep the wet skin moisturizer in the shower and when done leave the water on your skin and use a dime sized dollop of Jergens Wet Skin Moisturizer to rub into your skin one arm (or leg) at a time. The lotion lasts forever. I didn't believe it at first, but after the first drop I was hooked. Then, a few days later, I noticed there was less in my bottle than I thought. Turns out the husband is using it too. I highly recommend Jergens Wet Skin Moisturizer if not for the smell, for the soft skin you get afterward. The only downside is there are quite a few chemicals in the lotion and your skin can get a little sticky for a short time afterward if you use too much. It would be nice if they could come up with something that is natural but I will still use it.

DestinationGear 1190 Graphite Gray BevBase Beverage Holder
DestinationGear 1190 Graphite Gray BevBase Beverage Holder
Price: $27.71
2 used & new from $27.71

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but not GREAT, June 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It is gray and it is foam rubber that tears easily when handled by young fingers. It isn't 'no slip' so don't expect to use it while riding the waves of a lake in a pontoon boat. It is handy however for everything from glasses to keys to cups as long as the boat isn't moving. It has four cup holders and a holder in the middle that can support a bottle of wine. It's all about who you have in your boat though. It really does tear easily.

Calvin Klein OBSESSION Eau de Parfum, 3.4 fl. oz.
Calvin Klein OBSESSION Eau de Parfum, 3.4 fl. oz.
Price: $80.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The bottle is attractive and the scent is good. Not great, June 23, 2015
Calvin Klein's Obsession for men is an earthy herby scent. Just the type of cologne you want to wear on a clear cold fall day. It reminds me of falling leaves and pumpkins, warm woolen coats and gloves. The bottle is attractive and the scent is good. Not great, just good, at least to me. You have to be careful you don't use too much or it can be overwhelming. It does last quite some time which is nice, but again, be careful how much you use. The scent subtley changes on different people and older men enjoyed ithe Parfum more than younger adults. All in all it is a solid four.

Magics (A Modern Magics Story Book 3)
Magics (A Modern Magics Story Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars They're Baaaacccck!, June 23, 2015
My favorite paranormal detectives are back! Only this time Thulu and La Fi (and three year-old Carter) are facing the return of Magic on Earth. Even family and friends from the other side are concerned, including a grim faced demon. It isn't enough that Thulu and La Fi help ghosts resolve their issues, now they have to figure out how to work their magic against some pretty terrorizing creatures, many of them human. The world is falling to pieces and it is up to Thulu and La Fi to help put it right and to discover just who is behind the attacks. Entire cities are burning and saving the world is their only concern.

From demons to ghosts to elves and whatnot, hanging out with the two detectives as they solve their most recent case is a great way to spend a weekend. While the books are Young Adult, anyone can read them and find a ton of enjoyment.Wilson's writing flows and you can't help but fall in love with Thulu and La Fi, as they are charming and fully realized, almost to the point where you feel close enough to invite them over for dinner.

DII Home Essentials 100% Cotton, Machine Washable, Everday Kitchen Basic Terry Printed Kitchen Towel Set of 4, Coffee
Price: $17.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but thin, June 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The cotton/terrycloth dishtowels are really pretty. But and this is a big but, they are very thin. I washed them to see if they'd fluff up and they didn't. Which is really disappointing because the colors are just lovely and so far have been colorfast. They are useful for cleaning up messes and they are thirsty in that they soak up spills well, but they are really thin and darn it, I was disappointed because they really are pretty.

essie Nail Color, Encrusted Treasures, Hors d'Oeuvres
essie Nail Color, Encrusted Treasures, Hors d'Oeuvres
Price: $8.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Shatterproof but a lovely effect, June 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pretty, sparkly and fun! And it stays on for quite some time. Not thinking, I put the glitter on first and the polish on later. It was a beautiful idea and the glitter gave the polish a 3D look. The particles are big and small and really, I just loved it. Until....

I discovered the bottle was not shatterproof. I took it out of my purse to try on the granddaughter and dropped it on the kitchen floor. Now my hardwood has a lovely glitter shine in the kitchen. Just be careful you don't break the bottle and you will love the effect Encrusted Treasures has on your nails.

Idyllic Avenue: 1.0
Idyllic Avenue: 1.0

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Ganske's writing, May 15, 2015
Chad Gansky has hit a home run with Idyllic Avenue. I downloaded Kindle for Android and took Idyllic Avenue with me everywhere I went. From Home Depot to Target to JC Penny, I couldn't put my phone down. My husband got a little cranky because he did all the driving.

On a more serious note, I love Ganske's writing. He is a young man with a lot of talent and I expect great things from him in the future. His writing style is fluid, the characters are fascinating, and he weaves a tale of sci-fi any hard core science fiction fan is going to love.

The imagery Ganske uses draws you in and won't let go. You can see his imagination fired this novel and he peoples his world with souls undergoing the search for life and for an idyllic world. It is the cost for that state of perfectionism that makes his novel so compelling. It is a peek into human nature, love, and loss with opinions and ideas that differ from one person to the other keeping you riveted throughout the entire novel.

Ganske should be proud of Idyllic Avenue. This novel comes highly recommended and I am sure (I hope) another is just around the corner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20