Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for Larry > Reviews

Browse

Larry's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Larry RSS Feed (Naperville, Illinois)

Zoom DOCSIS 3.0 USB Cable Modem (5341-00-00J)
Zoom DOCSIS 3.0 USB Cable Modem (5341-00-00J)
Offered by Zoom Telephonics
Price: $49.98
38 used & new from $33.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not All Good, October 2, 2013
I just received this modem yesterday, so I may need to provide an update.

For now, though, my impressions are not all good.

This modem replaced a Motorola SB6120, with which I was pretty pleased. I had some connectivity and performance issues that I suspected were ISP-related, but which I hoped might be helped with this newer model modem.

Good
1. Contrary to reports I've seen, my modem does not run hot. Maybe this has been fixed.
2. Initial setup was easy, and the self-provisioning process with Comcast was easy and uneventful.
3. Initial channel bonding occurred very quickly.

Bad
1. Unlike the SB6120, this modem's Web UI has no event logging. This makes it difficult to impossible to determine if the modem is having intermittent connectivity issues unless you are experiencing them firsthand. UPDATE: There is an event log but you must access it directly, e.g. "http://192.168.100.1/RgEventLog.asp"
2. The Web UI forces a log-out *very* quickly, probably under 2 minutes. This does not appear to be adjustable.

For the most part, this modem seems fine and it does offer eight downstream channels (which presumably will be needed for 100 mb service); the SB6120 only has four, although Motorola has another model which supports eight.

10/2/2013 Update.

This modem *will* run hot if you are not careful. Placed flat on a carpet, the carpet will prevent proper cooling. You need to place it on a solid flat surface or prop it up somehow to allow better air flow (I just discovered this). Whether related I don't know, but the unit smells strongly of plastic. I hope this will fade over time because it is quite distracting in a small home office, and probably unhealthy as well.

10/10/2013 Update.
This modem seems to do a little better than my older modem in speed and latency. There is an event log, but oddly it is not available through the Web menu (see "Bad" point 1). If the smell of plastic/electronics dissipates I'd upgrade this rating to 4. But the smell is still strong after a week.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2015 4:25 PM PST

Seiko Men's SNK809 Seiko 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Black Canvas Strap
Offered by MallStop
Price: $58.75
65 used & new from $54.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Time for an automatic..., February 25, 2012
I bought this watch when my $300 Hamilton quartz began to randomly stop running overnight from time to time, requiring me to tap it to get it going again. I decided if I was going to have a watch that stopped on its own, it might as well be one that I didn't have to put a battery in.

I like this one a lot. While it doesn't look expensive, it does look like more watch than you ought to be able to buy for $70. The crystal is not sapphire, but it's not plastic or glass either (it's Seiko's Hardlex which is supposed to be highly scratch resistant). It's very clear, and appearances are that it will not scratch easily. The second hand appears to move continuously rather than "ticking" (although close examination shows it is stepping about 4-5 times a second).

The watch keeps decent time, very good time for a non-quartz; I've owned it less than a week but it appears to be gaining less than 8 seconds a day. It may get better or worse with time.

As an IT practitioner I'm surrounded by devices with perfect time. I use radio-controlled clocks at home and I use time-synced computers at home and at work. Only the time on my wrist is ever off by more than a second. I can live with being a few minutes early by watch's time, and I'm happy to give up the need to replace batteries in my timepiece.

Of course, you do have to wear the watch to keep it wound and running. Leave it sit for a few days, and it will stop, but I like this watch enough to wear it everyday.

Seabiscuit: An American Legend
Seabiscuit: An American Legend
by Laura Hillenbrand
Edition: Library Binding
8 used & new from $12.48

2.0 out of 5 stars A hard-bound paperback..., November 16, 2010
I've not yet read this book, so my rating only reflect on the physical quality of the edition I purchased. The "library binding" edition does indeed have a rigid, durable binding, but in all other respects is identical to a paperback edition. The dimensions of the page are small, and the book is printed on very inexpensive paper that is likely to yellow very quickly. The binding also is so close to the printed margin that is difficult to read the beginning of each line. Save yourself some money and buy the paperback edition.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2014 9:59 AM PDT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars As advertised..., October 17, 2010
I don't have an HP 12 calculator, but from everything I've read this calculator is a virtual clone of that model. The retail box claims that this calculator is up to 6 times faster than the HP. I can't vouch for that but claimm but it wouldn't surprise me.

I have an original Sharp EL-733 financial calculator. In fairness, the Sharp is about 20 years old. It was built in the days when a business calculator was constructed to last a lifetime. While I love the Sharp's look and feel (it's more compact than the Victor) its speed for complex calculations can't compare with the Victor. A complex IRR calculation on the Victor finished in just under 10 seconds. Using the Sharp for the same calculation, I literally had time to whip up a sandwich and eat it before the calculation was finished. It definititely took more than five minutes to complete the calculation (probably more like ten). The Victor's result for the IRR calculation was accurate to about 8 decimal places--much more than you'd ever need.

Calculator speed is not usually an issue. Both the Sharp and the Victor produce instant results for simple TVM calculations. Virtually no one uses calculators for more complex financial computations any more since spreadsheets are everywhere and much easier and reliable for that kind of task. Still, should the need arise this calculator is capable of doing what you need, and doing it quickly.

On the negative side, I don't particularly like the feel of the keys on this calulator. They take a fair amount of force to press yet have a mushy feel that provides no tactile feedback. You can enter numbers fairly quickly and accurately, though, in spite of this shortcoming.

All-in-all, this is a fine calculator and a very good value. It comes with a (not unattractive) vinyl carrying case, and, yes, it also has a manual. And, while the included manual does its job (it's about 70 pages), you may not need it because you can download HP's HP12 manuals which, as you might guess, are far superior.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2011 12:33 PM PDT

Garmin 18x PC GPS Navigator Unit
Garmin 18x PC GPS Navigator Unit
Price: $66.99
32 used & new from $66.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Much improved, October 8, 2009
This unit is MUCH improved from its predecessor, the GPS 18. This unit is 100 times more sensitive than the GPS 18. I use it inside my home for setting the time on my PC.

The old model seldom locked more than 3-5 satellites and frequently could not even get 2. This newer model locked 8 at first try, all with good signal strength. I've almost never noticed it fail to get a fix indoors (it happened only once, for a very brief period of time).

Well worth throwing the old unit out and replacing it with this one!

New Blood
New Blood
10 used & new from $10.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, impeccable, March 9, 2009
This review is from: New Blood (Audio CD)
If you are a fan of top-40 Blood, Sweat and Tears, this album may not be for you. It's not that the album is not good; it's quite good. It's just that this group sounds nothing like the earlier incarnation of BS&T that featured David Clayton Thomas. As a matter of fact, it doesn't much like anything else I've heard.

Originally released in 1972, this unique blend of jazzy brass and a raspy southern vocal lead has stood the test of time well. I must admit I'm not crazy about the guitar work, although the rest of the instrumental work is excellent (especially the percussion). Particularly good are "Snow Queen" and "Maiden Voyage". The former finishes with a series of instrumental leads and, finally, a short and restrained drum solo slides smoothly into a beautiful rendition of the Herbie Hancock piece.

I just picked up a copy of the CD for the first time. I had the vinyl edition 30 years ago, and I'm happy to have it in my collection once more. It's well worth a listen.

Court and Spark
Court and Spark
Price: $4.99
249 used & new from $0.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Still terrific 28 years later, August 18, 2002
This review is from: Court and Spark (Audio CD)
I originally bought "Court and Spark" at the time it was first released in 1974. It was a glorious piece of work for the time, and it has stood the test of time very well.
It still packs a powerful emotional wallop with timeless romantic themes, richly and honestly expressed. But the musicianship is stunning as well: impeccable arrangements, unique and interesting rhythms and luscious, unusual harmonies. All of the skillful accompanying musicians seem to appreciate the caliber of the work and all make an appropriate contribution. I've heard this album dozens of times, and it has never bored me on any occasion.
The technical quality of the recording is also very good, rounding out a project where great attention was clearly given to every detail.
This album deserves to be enjoyed by new fans for many years to come. I hope that happens. Very few who give this album a careful listen will be disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2013 2:21 PM PDT

Memento (Widescreen Two-Disc Limited Edition)
Memento (Widescreen Two-Disc Limited Edition)
DVD ~ Guy Pearce
77 used & new from $0.56

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating puzzle, April 9, 2002
This film is a sequence of vignettes, shown in reverse chronological order, through which a murder mystery begins to unfold. The end of each newly witnessed scene takes us to where the prior one ends. Since the edges of the scenes overlap by a few seconds, we are able to piece them together to form a continuum.
Brilliant in concept, well executed and well acted, this film is a spellbinding puzzle that is engrossing from beginning to end.
Some critics of the film complain that the film's story would be simple-minded and uninteresting if viewed in normal time. I don't agree. In any case, the film's "backwards" format poses certain limits on story complexity because of the extra mental effort we must go through to piece the puzzle together. I think the film achieves a perfectly reasonable balance, considering these constraints.
Others say that there are flaws in the plotline; however I believe that a second viewing will convince most observers that there are explanations for most, if not all, perceived anomalies.
As Leonard Shelby, Guy Pierce delivers a fine, low-key performance: that of a man whose emotions are sometimes grayed by the trauma of a life that has come unraveled. Shelby is a man who is not completely innocent, but his life has become such a nightmare that he we feel sympathy for him nonetheless.
However the finest performance of the film is by Carrie-Anne Moss. In the character of Natalie, Leonard's flawed and tragic soul mate, she embodies anger, hatred, vindictiveness, sadness, compassion, and desperation. And all are portrayed without a single false note.
The movie is not perfect, and not for everyone, but I found it well worth the viewing.

Advanced Assembler Language and MVS Interfaces: For IBM Systems and Application Programmers
by Carmine Cannatello
31 used & new from $109.72

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, and rare, assembler reference, October 12, 1999
Assembler reference books are hard-to-find these days, much less good ones. This is a superb, detailed, and very thorough reference. This book presents, in good depth, a vast array of important programming issues that are not even mentioned in most other Assembler books (if you can even find one!). Highly recommended.