Profile for Wes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Wes RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Lungs
Lungs
Price: $9.00
104 used & new from $1.12

5.0 out of 5 stars grace slick and fiona apple had a baby, December 30, 2009
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
in outer space.

I don't really know what else to say. That's what this record makes me think of, and its glorious. Just listen for yourself.

Songs of the Beatles
Songs of the Beatles
39 used & new from $4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Surprise, November 6, 2007
This review is from: Songs of the Beatles (Audio CD)
I had never heard of this album before stumbling upon it on amazon. This is actually a very good CD. Sarah Vaughan and the altered arrangements actually work very well together, and the result is a funkier R&B sound than either Sarah or the Beatles have usually. I really dig this album. Give it a chance (check out the audio samples), a few friends I have shown it to really enjoyed it as well, even preferring a few of her versions to the originals! (sacrilege!)

Best tracks:

Get Back
And I Love Her
Eleanor Rigby
The Fool On The Hill
You Never Give Me Your Money
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Blackbird

Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas
Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas
Price: $9.99
70 used & new from $2.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Without a doubt the finest Christmas album in existence, September 28, 2007
This album is the best recording of Christmas songs I have ever heard. Ella Fitzgerald's voice suits the material so astonishingly well, each version becomes definitive. There isn't really much for me to say aside from endless praise. If you want a Christmas album that is both achingly beautiful in sound and captures the joyous spirit of the holiday season, look no further. I don't know if this album can ever be topped really, when it comes to Christmas songs. It really is that good.

Want 1 & 2
Want 1 & 2
8 used & new from $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Rufus Rocks, June 18, 2007
This review is from: Want 1 & 2 (Audio CD)
Needless to say, these two albums are great. Buying them together is ideal, especially since there are two bonus tracks 'Chelsea Hotel No.2' and 'In With The Ladies'.

This release does NOT, however, include any bonus tracks on Want One (no 'Es Mus Sein' or 'Velvet Curtain Rag'), despite what is listed on amazon. Be aware of this when purchasing.

Its great to have both albums packaged together with bonus tracks and a nice new cover. I've noticed that although it was released in 2005, this is already becoming an increasingly hard title to find. One review recommends buying it from amazon.co.uk instead of an overpriced seller, and this would be a great idea if only amazon.co.uk still sold it!

After looking around I found that the best place to get a brand new copy without sacrificing a limb was actually amazon.ca. They're the last amazon actually still selling it so I would try them ASAP if you want this album, otherwise you'll be doomed to search through various internet sellers and auctions for the best condition/price.

Get it soon before even amazon.ca runs out. This double album should be available in stores everywhere, but unfortunately, it isn't. Good luck.

Release the Stars
Release the Stars
Price: $10.00
115 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me a fan, May 23, 2007
This review is from: Release the Stars (Audio CD)
I listened to a bit of Rufus before but never could really get into him. However, I fell in love with his new CD "Release the Stars" and have subsequently given his other albums a second chance. I'm now beginning to appreciate them a lot more but "Release the Stars" remains my favorite. So just to contest the idea that "this is Rufus' worst" or "he is going downhill," to some people such as myself, the opposite is true. He may be losing the interest of some, but he's gaining the interest of others. A great collection of songs from a very talented singer/songwriter.

Songs In The Attic
Songs In The Attic
Price: $10.77
73 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, July 20, 2006
This review is from: Songs In The Attic (Audio CD)
I'm not kidding. I think this is probably the best live CD I own. I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought this, and did so on somewhat of a whim. The entire CD is incredible, not a weak track on there. The sound quality is astounding, the shows were recorded so well you often forget you are listening to a live performance (and the remastering sounds good too). But really its Billy and the band that make the album what it is, and this disc contains versions of Billy's songs that have never sounded better. Yes, I would say all the songs on this CD are far superior to their original album versions (which were excellent to begin with), especially tracks like Ballad Of Billy The Kid and Miami 2017. Do yourself a favor and get this CD, its only 9.99 and you won't be disappointed. Oh and listen to it LOUD. On a good system. Then pick your jaw up off the floor.

Strangers with Candy - The Complete Series
Strangers with Candy - The Complete Series
DVD ~ Amy Sedaris
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $33.43
45 used & new from $24.42

2.0 out of 5 stars GOOD AND BAD, June 30, 2006
Let me start off by saying that 'Strangers With Candy' the TV series is one of my favorite, if not my all time favorite, television show ever. It is brilliant. The show itself gets 5 stars from me.

Now for 'The Complete Series' release. First of all, the packaging is almost unbelievably bad. BAD BAD BAD! Cheap PAPER, I don't know if I can even call it cardboard because it is so flimsy and fragile. I'll just call it thick paper. And the discs themselves are held to this PAPER only by a plastic hub glued on to the paper packaging, rubbing right against another disc on the next page. This makes it very easy for discs to fall out and become damaged. I can't stress enough how much I dislike the packaging. In one word: CHEAP.

Now moving on to the content. I haven't watched all of the content yet, but I have seen some of it and can compare it to the previous releases of all 3 seasons. I was really excited about this release in large part because of director's cuts that would appear on two episodes. I watched these director's cuts and wished the deleted scenes had instead been offered as a separate bonus. The editing of these director's cut episodes is so bad it really does take you out of the show. There will be music in one shot and it will abruptly stop when the next shot comes up. Many shots integrated into the footage are of much worse quality making it very noticeable when the transition takes place. The audio as well keeps changing so much that its really, really obvious, even in scenes that were in the original versions of the episodes. Someone will be talking from the front speaker, then suddenly you'll be hearing them talk from your rear speakers for NO REASON. Also, the video gets very bright, then very dark, from shot to shot, also occuring at points in the episode that were in the original version and looked FINE on the previous DVD releases. Then, in some scenes things were changed for NO REASON, like in "Is My Daddy Crazy" when she watches the slide show, it runs like a slow virus-infected computer powerpoint presentation and the voice of the narrator is completely changed from a guy that was PERFECT for it to some woman who SUCKS and is just NOT funny at all! I was really disappointed with the presentation of these director's cut episodes. They actually made these episodes (some of the best) a whole lot less funny. And to me, a huge SWC fan, that is a TRAGEDY.

And another thing, they changed the transition sequences where commercial breaks were to a different animation AND recording. The result is certainly inferior to the previous version.

Thank god I held on to the previous DVD releases.

This set is worth it for big collectors like me who will buy anything with extra features that I don't already have of the show, but for first time buyers just beware that some of these episodes have been altered and the result is DEFINATELY DEFINATELY inferior to the previous releases. Fans, hold on to your old copies. They are the originals, they are the cult classic. This is a nice bonus for fans, but really could easily have been mistaken for a bootleg bought on eBay.

I still look forward to the film and will love the show till I die. But I really hope one day it will get a worthy release with good packaging, remastered and clean looking episodes (the ORIGINAL versions), bonus features, and whatever else they've got to give us!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2014 4:09 PM PST

A Time To Love
A Time To Love
Offered by Customer Direct
Price: $7.61
154 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars best overall album of Stevie Wonder's since 1980's "Hotter Than July", October 25, 2005
This review is from: A Time To Love (Audio CD)
This is a great album with a very strong set of songs. All 15 tracks I have grown to love in the one week I have owned this album, and that can't be said for most albums. The thing about this album that is really amazing is that it doesn't sound like "new stevie" or "55 year old stevie", it just sounds like stevie. by that i mean, his voice, his melodies, his soul... its all still there and alive as ever. disregard reviews about this album not being "innovative" enough or groundbreaking... those people simply have expectations set so unrealistically high that only a 70s stevie wonder in retrospect could please them. and when reading those who simply diss the album saying things like "what happened? where did the talent go?" etc... do yourself a favor and look for any actual specific criticisms of the album. the previous review was spent dissing stevie wonder and his latest effort, but gave absolutely no actual review of any songs contained in the album. i will tell you right now that this album is chock full of great material, and i believe in time it will grow on fans to become a stevie wonder favoirte. it is certainly his best overall peice of work in decades. astounding comeback

Wigstock: The Movie: A Celebration of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Big Hair
Wigstock: The Movie: A Celebration of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Big Hair
67 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT FOR LADY KIER ALONE, July 29, 2005
Lady Miss Kier's "Touch Me With Your Sunshine" is a great, uplifting, amazing song. She sometimes sounds like a young Michael Jackson when she sings. There are other decent tracks, including Ru Paul's "Free to Be", which is really good for a gay anthem-ish kind of thing. But Lady Kier takes the cake, and you'll also be able to hear her on the great Deee-Lite (she was the lead singer) track called "Somebody" (from the "Dewdrops in the Garden" album). Look how cheap people are selling this thing on auctions for, its like 50 CENTS. That's way more than worth it for that one song alone, which I play over and over and over...

"You make me feel so fiiiiine..."

Bent
Bent
DVD ~ Clive Owen
Offered by Serenity-Now
Price: $32.95
38 used & new from $8.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to watch... but brilliantly moving and provoking, July 8, 2005
This review is from: Bent (DVD)
I still don't know all what to say about this movie, since I only just saw it a couple days ago and its still simmering in my mind. But I do know it had a big impact on me. The way it was made, the way it showed you this world they lived in and how it was so quickly taken away. The movie isn't perfect, but for some reason I wouldn't change a thing. McJagger is dead on as Greta/George, and Clive Owen is amazing. Actually all performances in this film were excellent. And the title "Bent" is a word that means homosexual (as opposed to "straight"), and certainly not referring to the shape of the main character's penis as was stated in a previous review. I don't know where they got that idea. the movie is hardly so shallow as to focus on such an insignificant thing as the man's penis when the emotional scope of the film is simply epic. 5 stars. see it if you can handle holocaust 'downers'

Page: 1 | 2