Profile for Kristine Lofgren > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 289

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kristine Lofgren RSS Feed (Utah)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Interior Design Reference Manual: Everything You Need to Know to Pass the NCIDQ® Exam
by David Kent Ballast
Price: $221.12
22 used & new from $195.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for Passing the NCIDQ Exam, December 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Whether you are taking a class to refresh for the NCIDQ Exam or just studying up on your own, this book is essential for beefing up for the exam. It walks you through everything you need to know, helping you narrow down the things you need to study and giving you the information you need to do your best.

The book is broken down into 6 categories: Design concepts, constraints, construction, products, communication and management. It also explains how to register for the exam and what to expect. The book includes all of the codes, measurements, distances, definitions, drafting keys and concepts that you will need to know, illustrated with crisp renderings and drawings, just as you would expect.

But even if you aren't expecting to take the exam soon, this book is incredibly useful for the designer. If you are like me, you have multiple books covering a range of topics that you need to reference. Books for construction materials, books on project management, maybe the NKBA standards... this book compiles all of that in one handy place. That's nice for the test, but it is also super nice just for your day to day work. Need to remind yourself about the ideal tread/riser combo? Page 11-36. Can't remember the types of lumber cuts? 17-2. Super handy and extremely useful whether you are taking the exam or not.

The 6th addition is the best yet, with more illustrations and updated standards to get you through the exam or just through your job.

Fundamentals of Building Construction with Interactive Resource Center Access Card: Materials and Methods
by Edward Allen
Price: $110.73
127 used & new from $68.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for any student or professional, December 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The 6th edition of Fundamentals of Building Construction is the absolute best yet. This is a classic text for students and budding professionals, whether your specialty is interior design, construction or architecture. Though it is intended to be a classroom textbook, you can read it independently (and I recommend you do even if you don't have to read it for school).

The updated text includes new renderings and photographs, which is both useful and nice. It is also updated to include information about construction innovations, sustainable building, the latest building codes and technical notes. Included with each new book is the interactive resource center access code, which includes super handy resources and additional information.

The book itself is chopped into 24 manageable chapters which begin with the foundations of building and building foundations. It then moves through wood construction, masonry, steel concrete and into roofing, glass, cladding and finishes with interiors. Every now and then the text is sprinkled with "From Concept to Reality" sections which, as the name implies, show you a real example of the technique being studied. This is super for me, because I learn better when I can fit the information I am learning into a real world example. The book also has ample illustrations, renderings and pictures to help cement the information.

Written by experts and meticulously detailed, this is a must have in the library of any student or professional who wants a handy reference or to learn more about the world of construction.

Belkin Single USB Car + Home Wall Charger (1 Amp)
Belkin Single USB Car + Home Wall Charger (1 Amp)
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy little travel charger, December 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have plenty of home charging stations, but I needed something that I could take with me while traveling that could charge all of my trillions of devices (iPhone 5S, Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, Jawbone Up band, Blu Ecigs, iPod and iPhone 4 between my husband and me) and this little charger can do it all. The cords aren't included, so you must bring each USB cord fitting that you need, but compared to packing 8 different chargers, that's a huge space savings.

Belkin products typically feel super well made and this charger does too. Sturdy, heavy plastic, a firm wall plug feature that flips in and out of the device to convert to a wall plug and a bright blue indicator to let you know when your device is charging.

This can handle 100-220V and 50-60Hz power, making it useful for a variety of locations and vehicles. When it is plugged into the wall, it does cover both receptacle outlets, but it really isn't very large, so you can pack it up and take it anywhere. It charged all of my devices (some slower than others) with no trouble whether in the car or not.

Consider this if you need a handy little charger that can tackle any charging challenge.

Cross Century Chrome .7mm Pencil
Cross Century Chrome .7mm Pencil
Price: $23.95
36 used & new from $16.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Good pen, bad system, December 28, 2013
I can't stand the lead feed on this pencil. You have to remove the cap, twist it, press the end to push out some lead, turn it back, replace the cap and then twist the cap EVERY TIME YOU WANT TO EXTEND THE LEAD. So inconvenient and it doesn't work perfectly, it takes fiddling with to get it to work right. Guess it is back to the drawing board to find a pencil that feeds in a simple, usable way.

WD My Passport Slim 1TB Portable Metal External Hard Drive USB 3.0 with Auto Backup
68 used & new from $59.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, small, fast and convenient, December 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
At first glance, it may seem like a hard drive is a hard drive, but as with most things, it is the little stuff that makes all the difference. The WD My Passport Slim is a superb little drive (little as in size, not capacity - at 1T, this thing is huge). The metal casing protects the drive and looks really cool and the extra protection is seriously nice, considering that I have lost many drives in the past. I can't help but think that the sturdy metal helps protect your data, since I haven't lost a single WD metal drive.

It is also very fast. USB 3 is excellent and I transferred 50g in a few minutes. Normally it can take hours to back up my 1T computer it only took about an hour with this drive. Not a scientific measurement of speed, but there you go.

The drive also comes with a long cord (19-inches) so you can plug it in and set it where it is convenient for you.The small size (think pocket-sized) means that you can carry it wherever you need. I use this on a Mac but it would work just as easy on a PC, just plug and play (or plug, format and play).

The included software comes with cloud/local backup and password security, making it extra useful. Whenever I recommend a drive to a friend, it is always the WD slim and this one is no exception. All the little extras make this the best out there.

Venta Airwasher Humidifier LW15 GREY
Venta Airwasher Humidifier LW15 GREY
Price: $181.14
14 used & new from $130.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean, humid air! No hassle!, December 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I live in Utah - the second driest state in America. We also have super hard water. So humidifiers have to work extra hard and they quickly build up with mineral deposits in an area like this. Then on the other hand, traditional humidifiers can get moldy or put out too much humidity, making the home too wet in places. So unless I am sick, I don't use them. I want to, but I just live with the dryness to avoid the hassle.

But no more. This incredible simple machine manages to fight all of my complaints. The cold evaporation means no over-humidifying and the lack of filter means no mold and no extra cost. It mildly humidifies the air of the room without making it feel muggy. It is so quiet and so easy to fill (and can run a day or two on a gallon of water) that I don't mind leaving it running non-stop. The Venta additive (ps - you can make your own if you don't want to spend the cash) keeps mineral deposits away.

As an air cleaner, I love it even more! I have the world's dustiest house. Between the dogs, the forced-air a/c and heating and our constant state of construction, I can dust and literally the next day it is time to dust again. So I ran this in my office for a day or two and noticed one day, as a bam of sun shined into the room, that there was very little dust in the air. More than that, there didn't seem to be dust on my desk. I've taken to moving this from room to room every few days, dusting every day or so to kick dust into the air, and though it makes it a little harder for the machine to humidify (being moved so often), my home is noticeably less dusty.

Every once in a while the emergency shut off kicks in and I fiddle with the top fitting or I add some water and it goes back to work. I'm still not sure if it is user error or machine error, but it is not a big deal.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2014 6:20 AM PST

Aux Belkin TuneBase Hands-Free with Auxilary Cable for iPhone 5, 5s, 5c, and iPod Touch 5th Gen
Offered by Web's Best Deals
35 used & new from $26.87

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best but not the worst., December 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Where this succeeds, it succeeds really well. But where it fails, it sucks.

The Good:

Super easy to use, just plug it into your cigarette lighter, plug the cords into your phone and your AUX input and bam. Good to go. The lighter plug fits really snug - it doesn't jar or shift even with a good bump, which is super nice. The plug in part is really long, but it doesn't interfere with anything in my car, but may in other vehicles. The arm that holds the phone is also sturdy but it can be adjusted to fit multiple positions.The sound is great when the music is playing and call control is easy. There is a button on the section that holds the phone that works like the home button does on the phone, which is nice to have when you need to just feel rather than see what you are doing.

The Bad:

If you have your phone volume turned low and you get a phone call, the call sound will be super quiet. If you then turn your stereo (and not the phone) up to hear the caller, when you hang up the phone and the music switches back on, the music will be incredibly loud. So loud that it blew my speakers. So you have to always turn your phone up all the way when putting it in the cradle. Also, I HATE that you have plug the aux cable into the phone rather than having the plug built-in to the cradle or having the sound go through the lightning connector. It is inconvenient enough that I would almost rather just plug my phone directly to the Aux and not fiddle with the cradle. But that is just a personal thing, some people might not mind the two-step process. I'm lazy.

Finally, the cradle is easy to snap a phone into, but you kind of have to fight to get it out, so I worry that it will eventually become loose or break.

If this hadn't blown my speakers (argh!!!) I would have given it 4 stars, but I really didn't love this regardless. Belkin, call me. You owe me some new speakers.

WD My Book Hard Drive for Mac 2 TB (WDBYCC0020HBK-NESN)
WD My Book Hard Drive for Mac 2 TB (WDBYCC0020HBK-NESN)
60 used & new from $84.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Mac or PC, December 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have 9 trillion (slight exaggeration) portable hard drives but not a single dedicated drive - silly, right? This drive says it is for a Mac but let's be serious - it's a hard drive. Take 3 seconds to format it and it will work with any computer. I happen to have a Mac but I formatted this anyway because I usually find that the built-in software isn't useful for me. It might be for others, but since I am just using this as a backup storage along with Time Machine and so I don't need it. Time Machine is good enough for me. It disables the password protection, but if someone wants to steal my backup drive full of term papers and iTunes songs, enjoy!

That said, this worked straight out of the box - I didn't read the manual, just plugged everything in, formatted and got to business. Both my Macbook and by iMac recognized it with no trouble. With USB 3 it is zippy quick (backed up 600 gigs of data in under an hour). It isn't silent, which is to be expected with any drive that isn't solid state, so every once in a while it kicks on and starts whirring and it is noticeable, but not really.

This comes with 2 TB of memory and a 2 year warranty (I have drives fail all the time - the warranty is nice protection.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2013 9:15 PM PST

Dansko Women's Pro XP Clog,Ebony,38 EU/7.5-8 M US
Dansko Women's Pro XP Clog,Ebony,38 EU/7.5-8 M US
Offered by Peltz Shoes
Price: $139.99
9 used & new from $132.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Dansko to the rescue, December 12, 2013
I love shoes - the high heel, stylish, terrible for your feet kind of shoes. When I was diagnosed with PTTD (probably from wearing said shoes) my first reaction was: oh well, I guess I will live in pain because I am not giving up my heels. But reality worked its way into my brain and I decided to suck it up and order a pair of "those ugly clogs."

I literally had no idea shoes could be so comfortable. My feet never hurt even after standing all day. They have a grippy bottom so I can wear them on tile floors or outside in the crappy weather. They are easy to slip on and off so I never have an excuse not to wear them while trying to heal. The Pro XP has a removable shoe bed, so I put my orthotics in them and once I started wearing them, my PTTD healed up in under a month.

So... don't tell my high heels, but now that my foot is feeling better... I think I will keep wearing these. Not all the time. I still wouldn't call them high fashion. But whenever I will be on my feet all day or if I have a lot of walking to do, I am slapping these on my feet. Seriously. Even though I don't have to. They are that comfortable and easy to wear.

Just a note, when fitting these, your heel SHOULD slip out with each step. If you find your heel slips out, that's good. You should also have lots of wiggle room in the toe area. The shoes are really held in place by the leather over the arch and the top of the foot. I wear a 7.5 US and I purchased the size 38 and they fit perfect. Give them a chance - I know the are ugly but with the right outfit, they are actually growing on me. Wear them with some cuffed skinnies and work them with confidence. Your feet will love you forever.

Barefoot Science - Full Length 6 Step Active Arch Activation Foot Support Insoles - Small - Ladies: 8-9.5, Men: 6-7.5

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems short on the science., December 12, 2013
Didn't fit well in my shoe and rather than helping you maintain proper foot form and develop muscles needed to stand on your own, they seem to just prop the foot up, meaning that if you ever stop wearing them for any length of time, your problems will return. I am a PTTD sufferer - not recommended. Also: Barefoot Science? Seems like a misnomer. This is the opposite of barefoot or science. Try a rigid orthotic instead - I am using Super Feet and I have healed up nicely in 2 months.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20