Profile for Michele G. Raymond > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michele G. Raymond "literature mama" RSS Feed (Nashville, TN)

The Simple Strategy - A Powerful Day Trading Strategy For Trading Futures, Stocks, ETFs and Forex
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the book! Simple yet detailed explanations, April 22, 2014
I consider myself an intermediate-level trader. I've been trading with some degree of success over the past couple of years but not yet in that "ready to retire" mode, so I'm still tweaking some of my better strategies and getting rid of the stuff that's just not working. This book is a great reminder that sometimes it's the simple things and the basics that are the most effective. I think just going back to bollinger bands and MACD might make some big improvements in my trading. I have at least six new things to try (or old things to return to!) after having read this book which makes it worth the price. In some webinars I've spent an hour and only learned one or two new things, and sometimes none. I also appreciate him putting in the links to websites with some low-cost and free indicators and education within this book. Well worth it!

How to Pay Zero Taxes 2012:  Your Guide to Every Tax Break the IRS Allows!
How to Pay Zero Taxes 2012: Your Guide to Every Tax Break the IRS Allows!
by Jeff Schnepper
67 used & new from $0.14

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is helping us save over $6000 this year in taxes!, April 12, 2012
What a book! I only wished I had used the ideas years ago. Suggestions that accountants don't often mention and that the IRS sure won't tell you about--like starting a family-run business and hiring your kids. And then having them start their own little businesses! As long as you have a MOTIVE to make profit, you can still legally take the deductions, even if you don't see a profit for awhile. I wonder if some of the negative reviews of this book were written by accountants not wanting their clients to read it...hmmmmm...

The person who said this book is only for people making $20K a year must have this book mixed up with something else. This book actually benefits higher income earners MORE since the deductions would be more useful to folks who are having to shell out more in taxes than lower wage earners. I can easily see how it would be possible to reduce your taxes to zero or pretty close following the advice here, especially if you're really organized about it.

Sandy Botkin's materials are great, too. He has a tax log to document all of your expenses, meals, miles, etc. so that you capture all of your deductions and don't overlook some of them. I like the fact that both of these authors give IRS case law reference numbers for readers to check out in case you have any doubt. These things are impossible to find just trying to research on the government websites unless you really know what to look for, and frankly, I don't have the time or the legal skills to do that kind of high quality research.

Highly recommended!

The Case for Christ:  A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus
The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus
by Lee Strobel
669 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for Christians and non-Christians alike!, April 12, 2012
I read this book years ago and am now going back to it! Not growing up in a very "churchey" family, I had lots of questions about theology, the Bible, Jesus, the Resurrection, etc., and Lee Strobel's books have helped answer many of these questions. The book reads like a journalist reporting and conducting interviews with various scholars and academicians. He also discusses other books and sources on archaeology, history, theology, and philosophy for those wanting to dig deeper. I would never have heard of some of these books had it not been for Lee Strobel. While his book is sort of a primer, it can open the door for further research and studying. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone wanting to research Biblical claims, even agnostics who think that one cannot know truth or atheists who think they've cornered the market on truth.

The Case Against The Case For Christ: A New Testament Scholar Refutes the Reverend Lee Strobel
by Robert M. Price
Price: $16.66
34 used & new from $6.72

1.0 out of 5 stars A bitter attack on Christianity by someone with an axe to grind..., April 12, 2012
A complete waste of time and paper! Though Price purports to be a scholar, this book is very short on facts and research. I find it incredibly hypocritical that the author who attacks Lee Strobel is himself equally guilty, if not more so, of being biased, just on the opposite side. It's obvious that he has a very bitter approach to Christianity and perhaps to life in general. Price repeats himself throughout the book and harps on the same few points over and over. I would've given this book zero stars if I could. Strobel's book contains many more facts from a variety of sources; while agnostics and atheists might not agree or approve of Strobel's easy-to-read style, he does argue from a literary, historical, archaeological approach. Price's book, on the other hand, is sloppy, caustic, and poorly written. He should've had his book reviewed by his peers first and saved himself and his university some embarrassment. Boring drivel, regardless of what one's theology is. Save yourself some money and skip his book. Norman Geisler, R.C. Sproul, and Stephen Meyer have some scholarly works that ARE well-written and are, in my opinion, worth reading for truth-seekers.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2015 6:46 PM PDT

Micro-Trend Trading for Daily Income: Using Intra-Day Trading Tactics to Harness the Power of Today's Volatile Markets
by Thomas K. Carr
Price: $29.15
76 used & new from $6.94

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the top three trading books I've read! Very specific AND easy to follow!, November 23, 2011
If I could recommend one stock trading book to read, this would be it! Dr. Carr expands on his earlier introductory book, Trend Trading for a Living, by giving detailed strategies and telling how to execute them, backtest results, etc. He spends a lot of time specifically explaining HOW he backtested these strategies. I know of several different ways of backtesting, and Carr's method is easy, reliable, and do-able! Most books just recommend that you backtest without bothering to explain how, if they mention backtesting much at all--I tried following some general trading recommendations of Ken Fisher, Jim Cramer, Raghee Horner, and others with no success and just became more and more confused and bewildered with their utter lack of clarity and specifics!

As a relatively new trader, I have found others' trading explanations very frustrating, but Carr cuts through the bothersome vagueness with tons of details, but explains in a way that won't have you floundering for months before you actually trade! Finally! I also appreciate Carr's chapter on his Christian views and thought it greatly added to the book, as well as his suggestions on being accountable to a partner and not becoming a trading addict (with warning signs of addictive behavior). Hey, if hedonists and secularists can go on and on and on in their books talking about "trading by their new pool," or what kind of sports car they own or how many EX-spouses they have to support, why can't Thomas Carr, Dave Ramsey, Rabbi Daniel Lapin, Zig Ziglar, Tony Dungee, Tim Tebow and others talk about their faith? If you don't want to read the spiritual chapter of the book, skip it (but I bet you might learn a lot more hearing about faith issues than another non-fiction book I'm reading where the author has several chapters devoted ad-nauseum to his skanky ex-girlfriends! Blech!!)

Anyway, I also highly recommend Carr's first book and Wendy Kirkland's Option Trading in Your Spare Time. All three of these are easy for neophytes, yet offer solid technical analysis and strategies that long-term traders will appreciate and can start using immediately. I'm testing his strategies in my virtual account right now and will write back in a few months after I've done some actual trades to give my results. And a special thanks to the reviewer who divulged results from using Carr's strategies!

Carr's plans are spelled out well, and he even goes into great detail discussing losing trades or times when these systems aren't applicable. Almost no other authors bother to do that unless it's just generally saying, "Not every trade will be a winner" (not helpful to the reader at all!) Carr is a real person and a real trader who's experienced his share of ups and downs, not just someone trying to sell books. I don't think he's even pushing his book sales much (note: he didn't self-publish though he could have and made a lot more money than letting McGraw-Hill have the big chunk of revenue, and he could have been hawking some $4000 software or trading course or some other scheme and using his book as a long-winded commercial, but he didn't)--he doesn't have to; he's successful at trading and is happy to share his insights with the rest of us. I wish other successful traders were as generous with their systems and strategies as Thomas Carr.

And I'm willing to bet that some of the negative reviewers didn't bother to read the book or perhaps just skimmed it or they were simply aghast that an author might mention his faith in a book instead of his house size. That's okay--while they're busy writing negative reviews of Christian authors, the rest of us who've decided to follow Carr's eight strategies will be making great money trading and giving back to our communities! Hah! Happy trading, Carr fans!

Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
by Scott Turansky
Price: $10.77
216 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite books on parenting!, May 15, 2008
I love this book! Whereas so many other parenting books deal with behavior modification, this books goes further...to the heart (of both parents and child). So often, we look for quick fixes, but this book focuses on relationships, much like William Young's fiction work, The Shack (which every Christian parent should read!) and another non-fiction book by Turansky called Good and Angry, that I'm currently reading. We've homeschooled our three children since Kindergarten. One of our sons has Asperger's, and these books I've mentioned really have helped me reach my children's hearts the way no other modern books have. Our relationship with Christ and with each other have deepened profoundly!

The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity
The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity
by WM. Paul Young
Price: $9.35
2610 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Spectacular story...my husband even cried!, May 15, 2008
I'm a five-point Calvinist, TULIP all the way, entrenched in good doctrine...and I LOVED The Shack, much as I loved C.S. Lewis' writings and Tolkien's. Yes, I think most evangelical Believers will see this story for the work of fiction that it is. Most of us are intelligent enough to realize that we won't all agree fully on the finer points of systematic theology of the book. That doesn't take away from the wonder and the beauty of this story. As I heard one staunch Calvinist pastor say years ago, "I'd never discourage someone from reading Tolkien or Lewis. Certain writers, if we will allow them, soften our hardened hearts and stir our bored, lukewarm souls, even if their theology is not 100 percent accurate." Maybe we should all stop throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and stop being so afraid of our emotions! As for Young's writing style, I didn't find it to be awkward or difficult, and he's certainly easier to follow than some literary giants (ever tried to read William Faulkner, Virginia Woolf, Sylvia Plath, Samuel Beckett, T.S. Elliot, Henry James? I have. Excruciating.) What, however, do I know? I'm just a thirty-something-year-old mom of three who happens to hold two degrees in Literature and have read more dry, stale theology in my life than most people twice my age. I also lost my father suddenly when I was twenty-one. He was forty-four. Since then I have become skilled at building walls in all of my relationships, focusing on tasks and "responsibilities" rather than people themselves and our relating to Jesus. While The Shack may not have answered my questions more than the Bible has over the years, it did bring a profound sense of reassurance of God's love for His people, an encouragement to live more joyfully, and a conviction that I've spent too long being satisfied with C.S. Lewis's "mudpies," when I could've been enjoying a "holiday by the sea" with Jesus Christ. I pray that readers of The Shack will "get it," and not mistake it for a non-fiction treatise on Christianity. Go to the website for the author's comments and explanations. Afterall, literary criticism is far from complete if the author's intent, background and point of view are not considered. Any critic worth his or her salt should realize this fact, though, it seems, many modern "critics" are not truly literature students but people with computers and personal axes to grind, intent on raining on others' parades because they can't write themselves. I pray for all of the rainers out there...let the sunshine of Christ in and enjoy the book! I cried and so did my normally non-crying husband...on an airplane! He just pretended it was allergies, though he didn't pretend with me. We're both frozen-chosen Calvinists, but after reading The Shack, we both have a sense of grace and freedom that we've known in our heads to be true for many years but have forgotten how great it feels in our hearts. Let Jesus tear down those walls, folks! We love Him because He first loved us.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2009 1:38 AM PDT