Profile for Daniel E. Fox > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 125

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Daniel E. Fox RSS Feed (Phoenix, AZ)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Morning Phase
Morning Phase
Price: $12.24
130 used & new from $4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Grammys got it right, February 27, 2015
This review is from: Morning Phase (Audio CD)
This album definitely rewards repeated listenings. It is lush, quiet, soothing, and gentle. It does not rock, yet it is a great rock album (think Pink Floyd at their more introspective moments, or a Neil Young acoustic album like Harvest). As many others have pointed out here, Kanye has done nothing to make me thing he is even in the realm of being able to judge or appreciate Beck's music. Glad to see so many others are discovering this excellent album.

Dark Places: A Novel
Dark Places: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This is going to make a great movie., December 30, 2014
This, for me, was easily the best of Flynn's three (to date) novels. I loved Gone Girl and liked Sharp Objects, but neither one compelled me to turn page after page just to find out what was going to happen in the way that Dark Places did. The structure of the novel (with flashbacks and then present day and from different characters' points of view) was just brilliant and really made me think about how our perspectives of the same events can vary so much. The ending is satisfying and though you can't call this book a "feel good story" (she meant it when she titled the book "Dark Places," people!), it really does offer some complex insight into Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), the nature of childhood memories and "family," and certainly how people often jump to conclusions in life without knowing the whole story. Strong recommendation here.

World Peace Is None Of Your Business
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Offered by B68 Solutions Limited
Price: $11.49
40 used & new from $3.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid work from Morrissey, July 30, 2014
Full disclosure: Morrissey could sing the phone book and I would find it interesting. Having admitted that, I must say that this is a solid solo album from Moz. I love the varied instrumentation...yes, the songs are guitar-based but there's room for short flamenco breaks, oboe solos, orchestral sections, etc. Seems to be a lot of Spanish influence (musically) in some of the songs this go around. The lyrics are his usual tongue-very-much-in-cheek, dry cynical British wit. I do wish they had included the lyrics in the packaging, but that just makes me listen to the songs a little closer to pay attention to the words. As many have commented, "Staircase at the University" is a real stunner melodically and lyrically (file this in the "Girlfriend in a Coma" type of Morrissey song---happy music, really sad lyrics), but there are a lot of great songs on here and really only a few "okay" songs. I didn't read his recent book so I can't comment on the man, but I have loved his music and voice ever since I first heard Meat is Murder. I'm glad I bought this one.

Indie Cindy
Indie Cindy
Price: $10.00
57 used & new from $6.57

4.0 out of 5 stars New Pixies is worth celebrating, May 1, 2014
This review is from: Indie Cindy (Audio CD)
Let's face it--the Pixies couldn't win here. If the new songs sounded too much like Doolittle or Surfa Rosa, people would be saying they are just resting on their laurels and reliving their past (albeit without the inimitable and sublime Kim Deal). if the music deviated too much from the classic Pixies sound (and chord structures, let's face it---some of their songs are similar), then people would be asking why this isn't just another Frank Black solo album. I think they find a pretty healthy medium here---there are at least a few songs here that absolutely stand up next to anything on Doolittle (I love Greens and Blues, Indie Cindy, Ring the Bell, and Magdalene 318, for starters). There are a few songs which are just so-so, but really not a lot of those (the hit-to-miss ratio is pretty good for a 12-song album). Yes, like many others I miss Kim's bass work and awesome background vocal work, but Black Francis's vocals are great on here and nearly make up for that, and Joey Santiago's guitar work to me is almost as integral to their sound as Black Francis---his crazy solos and surf-punk stylings sound awesome on here. I'm awfully glad to have new Pixies material...it's good to have the real thing back (they have been imitated and cribbed by other bands constantly since their heyday). Viva la Pixies!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2015 11:57 PM PST

One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories
One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky little book, March 6, 2014
I wanted to love this book (huge fan of the Office and some of BJ Novak's other work) but I found that, instead, I really liked it. As other reviewers have mentioned, some stories are hilarious and well-crafted, while other stories may have you scratching your head. In a way, I kind of admire that---he took some chances here and did some unusual stuff and sometimes it works beautifully and sometimes...well, as I said, a few of the stories are clunkers. But here's the thing: the stories that work REALLY work. Clever and funny at times, poignant and meaningful at other times, it certainly kept my interest as to what he was going to try next. Looking forward to his second book (this one seems to be a success so I hope there are more to come!)

Magpie And The Dandelion
Magpie And The Dandelion
Price: $12.38
43 used & new from $6.24

4.0 out of 5 stars They repeat themselves, absolutely, but they do it so well., October 29, 2013
If you are new to the Avett Brothers, my recommendation is to start with "I and Love and You." I think that album is going to stand as their masterpiece---every song on that disc is an absolute keeper, the production is perfect, the music and lyrics are right on. On "The Carpenter" and this new CD, you will definitely notice some repeat chord progressions and even melodies. It starts to sound familiar but as I said in the title of my review, THEY DO WHAT THEY DO SO WELL. What I really like on this new disc is the instrumentation---more use of banjo, fiddle, even harmonica (on the blistering opening track, "Open Ended Life"), gorgeous vocal harmonies (the production and mixing are very good), the works. There ARE more slow songs on this album, so you should know that up front. There are not many rockers on here but the ballads, such as they are, are terrific and the album has a mellow feel to it overall. Even their not-as-good songs are better than most people's, so if you are partial to the Avett Brothers' brand of folk/country/rock/bluegrass....have at it!

Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Price: $9.00
96 used & new from $4.47

5.0 out of 5 stars This is now one of my favorite Rush albums, October 14, 2013
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
I always knew the songs were good, but it was very difficult to get through the entire CD because I felt like I was being jackhammered. I know there are naysayers here, but to my ears this sounds SO much better than the original release. Some of the songs sound like completely new songs, you can actually hear the nuances now and there is spacing between the instruments. Great lyrics here (especially in the context of Neil's life) and really good tunes. I actually hear a little bit of U2 in a few of the songs (Alex's guitar harmonics) and just a bit of grunge influence (both in a good way). "One Little Victory" with clean-sounding drums and guitars now just soars, and there are plenty of other examples on here. Some people would view this as a money-grabbing move (making fans pay for an album they already own); I view it quite different, I think they did the fans a service in admitting that the original was poorly mixed and now fixing this. This is easily in my top 10 Rush albums.

Phish: Ventura (6xCD)
Phish: Ventura (6xCD)
Price: $27.18
31 used & new from $26.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Even the sound checks are great, August 19, 2013
This review is from: Phish: Ventura (6xCD) (Audio CD)
This is just a fantastic 6-CD set of Phish at their phinest. As other reviews have mentioned, the sound is near perfect and in particular you can hear the drums and keyboards with so much clarity. I am partial to "David Bowie" and "Punch You in the Eye," both sprawling masterpieces that sound terrific on here. A hilarious (but respectful) "Sexual Healing" and a very tight "Haley's Comet." The song choices here span their entire career, with two great versions of the Billy Breathes classic "Prince Caspian." The packaging is well-done and overall this is one of the best live Phish albums I have heard.

The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind
The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind
Price: $9.03
88 used & new from $2.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben Folds Five represent!!!!, September 22, 2012
Full disclosure: I am a little biased since I love just about everything Ben Folds (with and without the Five) has done. Having said that, I was excited about this album, but my expectations were a little tempered by the fact that the several songs the Five had done for Ben's retrospective album were just okay (nothing phenomenal---just solid songs). This album is SO FREAKING GOOD. It is a continuation of everything they had built up by the Reinhold Messner album. Their vocal harmonies are awesome throughout this CD (not surprising given Ben's recent forays into acapella music) and musically they are just as tight as they were all those years ago. "Draw a Crowd" and "Erase Me" stand out immediately as true keepers, really well-written tunes that rock. There are some beautiful ballads and midtempo songs and this album just shines. It is currently priced really low (not sure why) so pick up a copy now, Ben Folds Give is back in full force.

Barton Hollow
Barton Hollow
Offered by Collide Records
Price: $19.99
33 used & new from $6.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, February 29, 2012
This review is from: Barton Hollow (Audio CD)
I love Barton Hollow but find the rest of the album somewhat underwhelming. There is no doubt that they both have beautiful voices which blend together incredibly well, and the songs are pleasant, but that's just it---pleasant is the best I can say for much of this album. I would love to see them write more songs like Barton Hollow, because the style and energy of that song is much removed from the rest of the songs on here. Hopefully they will continue to grow as songwriters because I am betting they have a truly great album in them, I just don't think this is it quite yet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13