Profile for Alton Gray > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alton Gray "Binks" RSS Feed (Newark, DE USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mozart: Don Giovanni / Allen, Vaness, M. Ewing, Gale, Lewis, Van Allen; Haitink
Mozart: Don Giovanni / Allen, Vaness, M. Ewing, Gale, Lewis, Van Allen; Haitink
27 used & new from $7.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Why isn't it still in release?, June 14, 2014
Have lived with this recording for over twenty years and recently had to replace it. Was shocked that I could only find it used but I managed to obtain a very good one. Have heard this opera with numerous other principals but always come back to this one. The humor, drama, and sheer enjoyment of the cast members is infectious and one of Bernard Haitink's best recordings. Worth searching for.

Vino Italiano: The Regional Wines of Italy
Vino Italiano: The Regional Wines of Italy
by Joseph Bastianich
62 used & new from $6.44

5.0 out of 5 stars No wine snobbery here..., June 14, 2014
...just solid information presented in a direct highly informative manner. It's obvious that the author (son of Lydia Bastianich) loves his subject manner and is very knowledgeable concerning it. This is not a dry, pedantic volume but a friendly approachable work that really gets into its topic. Exhaustive but not exhausting. Fresh and lively as a good spumante. Highly recommended.

The Wine Bible
The Wine Bible
by Karen MacNeil
Price: $14.36
267 used & new from $0.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Informed, quirky, delightful, June 14, 2014
This review is from: The Wine Bible (Paperback)
A great wine book. Karen MacNeil's writing is friendly, informative and non-threatening to anyone new to wine and wanting to learn more. While a number of her wine selections tend to be on the pricey side (and in fairness, she is suggesting top producers) she obviously also values inexpensive "quaffers" as well. A great volume loaded with information on the top wine producing areas in the world. Non-pedantic and with a writing voice that comes across like a trusted and valued friend offering affable advice. A must for any wine library.

The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen
The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen
by Frances Mayes
Price: $23.78
77 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, June 14, 2014
I don't usually purchase cookbooks by celebrities since they have a tendency to be more about self-promotion than the food (especially those Food Network volumes that seem to overwhelm the cooking sections in most bookstores). However, having read Frances Mayes' first book on moving to Tuscany and visiting the area myself, I decided to make an exception. And I'm glad I did. This is a terrific cookbook. In addition to some solid recipes it also captures something of the feel of the area and, look a good host, warmly welcomes you in. Fantastic pictures of some great food and solid writing as well.

True Fabrications Double Hinged, Easy to Use, Restaurant Waiter Quality, Professional Compact Corkscrew with Foil Cutter - Wood
Price: $10.21
10 used & new from $5.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Wine cork's companion, June 14, 2014
I have had several different types of cork-screws over the years and have used a 'waiter's friend' for a number of years but not one with the double lever that this one has. It is now my favorite cork screw. No more broken or damaged corks or twisting the screw way into the cork to remove those stubborn ones. Very useful - not just a gimmick. Would purchase again.

Schott Zwiesel Tritan Crystal Glass Stemware Forte Collection Red Wine/Light Soft Whites, 13.6-Ounce, Set of 6
Price: Click here to see our price
9 used & new from $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than crystal, June 14, 2014
Great glasses. Sipping wine from them makes you feel like the lord of the manor - elegant and sophisticated - even if you're wearing jeans and flip-flops.. Seriously, though, this is a great product. They look and feel like fine crystal but they can safely be put in the dishwasher. Would purchase them again.

All-Clad 4416 Stainless Steel Tri-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Paella Pan / Cookware, Silver
Price: $259.95
12 used & new from $259.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Big pan for big cooking, April 25, 2014
I purchased the previous incarnation of this pan - basically the same except the older model doesn't mention the dishwasher safe specification. Not a problem since I hand wash my pots and pans. It's a great pan, big enough for a multitude of things, not just paella. I use it as a roasting pan for chicken, small roasts, vegetable roasting and so forth. Also use it for stir-fry dishes, noodle dishes, stove-top casseroles and uh oh yeah - paella.

Respighi: Ancient Airs & Dances (Suites I-III Complete) / The Birds (Gli Uccelli)
21 used & new from $3.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Where has Chris Gee and the Australian Chamber Orchestra been...., January 17, 2014
...and why don't they have more CDs available? Absolutely fantastic music, expertly performed and presented. Since this is not a big-name classical music conductor and outfit I probably would have passed (thinking it to be a lesser performance than others I could obtain) except for a review of this recording I read in the Third Ear Classical Music Guide. The reviewer cited it as a top performance. I decided to take a chance and am I glad I did. In a word, terrific. Great music, great sound and absolutely sparkling performance - best I've heard of this material. Cannot recommend it strongly enough.

Fiio X3 24Bit/192K Lossless Mastering Quality Music Player w/ Sandisk 64GB External MicroSD Memory & Coaxial Connection Kit
Offered by Emusic Enterprise
Price: $199.99
4 used & new from $178.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Chicken and Egg?, January 17, 2014
This is a great product once you've downloaded the latest operating system (available on the manufacturer's home page) and formatted the disk - and there's the rub.

To install the operating system you have to download it to the micro SD card and then to the device. But in order for the device to read the card it has to be formatted - which can only be done with the new operating system. As I said in the caption, chicken or egg?

I tried to format the card on my PC with various downloadable formatting software - no dice. Final solution was to use a 32 GB SD card (the largest the device's older operating system would read) for the new operating system, plug that into the device and install the new operating system. Once that was done I removed the card, plugged in the 64 GB card and formatted it using the utility on the new operating system. After that was done it worked like a charm. Great music from this little gadget.

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem and found other work-arounds but that's how I got it to do what I wanted. Just thought anyone buying this package (and it is a great deal) that you will probably need another, smaller SD card to get things working right.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2014 11:04 AM PST

HGST Touro Mobile 500GB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive, Black (HTOLMX3NA5001ABB)
HGST Touro Mobile 500GB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive, Black (HTOLMX3NA5001ABB)
Offered by Nu Image Corporation
Price: $60.75
7 used & new from $59.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Music Box, January 17, 2014
I purchased this to store my music files (FLAC format). I plug it into the USB port on the front of my receiver and have access, via my receiver's remote, to my entire music collection at the touch of a button. Works great, lets me select music without fumbling through stacks of CDs and so forth. Only issue is that my receiver did not recognize it. Problem was formatting. I re-formatted it as FAT 32 (type that string into Google to find any number of free utilities that will let you do that - Win 7 doesn't seem to let you do it). Once formatted it worked perfectly with my receiver. Think of it as an electronic, remote-controlled juke box that you can plug into the USB port of your receiver then sit back and surf your music collection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4