Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th
Profile for Chud > Reviews

Browse

Chud's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chud RSS Feed (Austin, TX)

Leonard Starr's Mary Perkins On Stage Volume 14
Leonard Starr's Mary Perkins On Stage Volume 14
by Leonard Starr
Price: $25.95
3 used & new from $24.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Uneven, but good, December 22, 2015
Well, I saw the one review here was only one star, and since I just got finished reading this, I'll make it clear that it is better than one star.

Certainly the art is not so consistently great as in most earlier volumes. I don't know how much of that is due to shrinking strips, and how much is due to lesser assistants (though clearly some assistants in here are better than others).

A couple of the stories have Mary making dumber decisions than usual to drive the plot. So this is far from the best of Mary Perkins.

But there is still a lot of the stuff that makes the strip great here. For instance, interactions between Mary and Pete that are clearly those of a woman and man who love each other. There are a couple of stories that end in moral ambiguities (one is another side of a problem that was addressed in an earlier volume). Those were the best stories, and one story pretty much stank. But the not-best-but-didn't-stink stories had me turning the pages. The one that stank had me hoping that it would get resolved on the next page, though I had to hope that too many times.

So certainly, this shouldn't be anybody's first Mary Perkins book. But if you enjoyed the first few of them, I suspect you'll continue to enjoy them through this one. If you want the volume with the absolute best of Mary Perkins, you should probably pick one between 5 and 10.

Walt and Skeezix: Book Four: 1927-1928
Walt and Skeezix: Book Four: 1927-1928
by Frank King
Price: $38.04
60 used & new from $14.83

5.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of melodrama creeps in, but it's still good., October 6, 2010
This really is a great strip. Secrets are revealed in this installment. Gasoline Alley is a most gentle strip. Here we see life in 1928 (and Walt isn't doing so great, financially), and I'm looking forward to seeing how things will change as the Depression comes in (in later volumes that I'll be getting as soon as they are available).

Leonard Starr's Mary Perkins On Stage Volume 4
Leonard Starr's Mary Perkins On Stage Volume 4
by Leonard Starr
Price: $24.95
18 used & new from $13.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Still engaging, November 24, 2009
If you liked Vols 1-3, you'll like 4. They've fixed the aspect ratio problems they had in the first three volumes, though. I wasn't so thrilled by the hurricane storyline, but the art on it was great. The other stories were very good, though.

The Complete Peanuts 1971-1974, Vol. 11-12
The Complete Peanuts 1971-1974, Vol. 11-12
by Charles M. Schulz
Price: $40.79
46 used & new from $32.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Still great, October 1, 2009
I never much cared for Woodstock, but this is where he first becomes prominent, and it's obvious that Schulz enjoyed this new character (whereas he really to this point has not done much with Rerun). And now I really like Woodstock.

Also, these volumes have a whole lot more school in them. Peppermint Patty and Sally don't really mix well with school.

eForCity 2 Lithium-Ion BATTERY & CHARGER Compatible with KODAK CR-V3 CRV3 C743/DX4530/DX6330/DX6340

5.0 out of 5 stars It's working for me., March 1, 2009
It's working for me and it works for plenty of photos in my Kodak camera.

The Comics Journal #290 (No. 290)
The Comics Journal #290 (No. 290)
by Gary Groth
20 used & new from $4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars If you read the Schulz bio, you must also read this, July 30, 2008
While you won't really get a complete view of Schulz from this and the Michaelis biography, you will at least realize that the Michaelis bio is very incomplete.

I didn't think the Schulz roundtable really added much, though, beyond Monte Schulz's (sizeable) contribution.

And the Bob Powell reprints were OK, but nothing to get too excited about.

Honeymoon Suite It Is
Honeymoon Suite It Is
DVD
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars It was worth my time, I guess, May 30, 2008
I like the show, but it's not like they are saving the good stuff for these little free downloads.

Betsy and Me
Betsy and Me
by Jack Cole
Price: $14.95
95 used & new from $2.51

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete, May 30, 2008
This review is from: Betsy and Me (Paperback)
If this had truly been complete, I would have rated it five stars. While it isn't Cole's greatest work, most Cole fans will want to read it. The strip is not an awesome strip, but I enjoyed it. The big problem is that the book purports to be complete, but it is not. Most of it is there, of course.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2013 10:42 PM PDT

Star Trek: Captain Kirk's Guide to Women
Star Trek: Captain Kirk's Guide to Women
by John "Bones" Rodriguez
27 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Lame Powerpoint Presentation, May 30, 2008
This has all the bad qualities of a bad Powerpoint presentation. I saw this book at a physical book store, and I'm glad I did. I spent about six minutes with it, though I could have finished it in fifteen. It doesn't work as a Star Trek book, or a self-help book or a funny book. I don't see how the five-star reviews could be anything but shills for the author. There's really very little in the book.